Samsung dlp-no pic/sound-new bulb-HELP!

Username: Baddoodle

Post Number: 1
We got a 56" samsung DLP tv from a friend because he didn't want to bother, model number HLN5065w. He said it just stopped working so he bought a new bulb and did install it correctly. However, we get no picture when we turn it on. We have never witnessed this tv in full working order. When we power it on we hear a winding up noise coming from inside (like the normal start up noise?? we have never heard it start up, but it sounds similar to my parents dlp tv start up only slightly louder) and then it sounds like it just powers off and then on continuously [u]without[/u] any picture or sound until unplugged. The front light indicator for the LAMP keeps on blinking during this, but we were under the impression that this meant it was warming/starting up to power on. We dont have to outer lamp bay cover, but we have held the auto off pressure switch to get this far (as mentioned in the manual and on samsungs troubleshooting web page). Before we held the switch down, the lamp and temp indicator lights were flashing right away after plugging it in, indicating the lamp cover was not on correctly (meaning the auto off switch wasn't pressed, causing it to stay off completely). We got no start up noise until we held the switch down with a credit card to troubleshoot. Assuming we will have a proper cover and the auto off switch is not the issue causing the problem, What else could the problem be? Possibly a ballast? We are very limited on funds, so we want to be almost completely sure before purchasing new parts. Thank You!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Tvtroublesolution

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 40
Hi Robin,

>Do you still get that winding noise every time you fire up the TV? if you do then this could be a bad color wheel.

>Symptoms of a defective color wheel are screeching, winding or whirling noises. The ballast sometimes makes a buzzing or a rapid clicking noise when it fails so I don't think it could be that.

>Check this troubleshooting wizard, it'll give you more information on the matter
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/wizard/wizard.html

Username: Baddoodle

Post Number: 2
thank you so much for your help. i went thru the wizard you provided, but it said that it could be a faulty bulb eventhough it is new (but they also state that only 3 in 10,000 are dead on arrival mechanically). i didn't read anything about a colorwheel, but i think i agree with you. we do get the click when it is powered on, just as if the ballast normally would. I'm a little thrown off though because it sounds exactly the same as my parents tv starting up and their's is fine. i've read and researched a little about this issue and i've noticed that during the startup process people say that their bulbs come on. ours doesn't at all. no picture, no sound, it doesn't seem like it makes it past the initial startup, like it quits right before the light bulb power on happens for the tv to fully come on. we get start up noise (the ballast click), a little bit of a winding noise, and then the whole thing seems to give up and reboot. I'm going to test the bulb and see if that solves the issue, but if thats fine, you would still recommend purchasing a new color wheel? Thank you again for your help and extremely fast response.

Username: Sasquatch829

Dayton, OH USA

Post Number: 1
I have the whirling, hi-pitched screaching noise but still have a good picture. Where is the color wheel located? Do I get to it thru the same door as the light bulb? Hopefully I don't have to remove the bulb to get to it. Jerry
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us