True FTA Discussion

Silver Member
Username: Ajdarwin

Post Number: 302
Just thought I would post asking if anyone who has found a good sat for FTA. G10R, where I used to be mainly, has more or less disappeared as an option. If you know of a good place to look, please post. The sats are changing pretty quickly now, so anything is possible. I am looking for ku band, since I don't have a C band dish anymore.

Silver Member
Username: Ajdarwin

Post Number: 303
I have the motorized dish. Thanks for the heads up. I was surprised by the loss of most of the channels on G10R, and have not really explored the other sats for possibilities. My dish has both circular and linear ku band lnbs. I use a Koolsat 6k and have enjoyed real FTA for quite some time. I just got lazy and didn't check out all my possibilites.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 10867
Joe

From here in Quebec city, I get 26 satellites with a 33" motorized dish and a QPH-031.

Bronze Member
Username: Mahashweta

Post Number: 19
Joe Willis

I have the motorized dish. Thanks for the heads up. I was surprised by the loss of most of the channels on G10R,

most of the channels from G10R are now
located at Anik F3 at 118.8°W and are still Free to Air.

Now the Bad News, on C-band only.

If you are from the States a VHF/UHF
Antenna on your roof with a Pre-amp
will give you better English channels
then you will find scanning the Arch.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4400
Joe Willis asked:
"Just thought I would post asking if anyone who has found a good sat for FTA. G10R, where I used to be mainly, has more or less disappeared as an option."

Actually yo asked a very good question
Whisky is an ignorant and must be related to the 14 year old aribian boi known as FTAss

Answer to yor question
10GR at 123W satellite was renamed as Galaxy 18
Yes there were many true FTA channels that suddenly disappeared
I actually I didn't know that
Great chance they lost power in space as this is very common
But I do see Galaxy 12 at same orbit that may replace it

I don't have an answer better than Ty Ty
Ty Ty is correct
But I just wanted to say yo asked a great question
Whiskey is both ignorant and idiot for not knowing that this is a satellite forum not Chuckey Cheese Forum

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 3422
Ya i agree King is the man

Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 572
You can see what is available here,
www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

Username: Mistert2003

Post Number: 7
Equity Media went broke and auctioned all stations they controlled on G18, which was all the good ones. They've since gone black.

For me up north, all I now get is History and Bio channel courtesy the Hotel Network on AMC 4 101w, Create,PBS Montana and PBS World on AMC 21 125W and ABC Casper Ark on G18 123W

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4402
"Equity Media went broke and auctioned all stations they controlled on G18"

I'm not sure if that what really happened
But it makes a lot more sense to me
Thank yo Tim Tim
It's always sad to know FTA is decreasing

Silver Member
Username: Slo_hand2

Post Number: 565
Have you ever heard of:

http://www.lyngsat.co*m/

I would take the time to look there, all sats are listed

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4403
Our satellite discussion in this thread is all based on what's publically posted at lyngsat and FTA channels that droupt out
Slo_mind

Silver Member
Username: Slo_hand2

Post Number: 566
King Tapeman
Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4403

Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 05:42 pm: Edit Post
Our satellite discussion in this thread is all based on what's publically posted at lyngsat and FTA channels that droupt out
Slo_mind

HUH? "droupt" is that a English word? as far as Lyngsat is concerned I was thinking perhaps he/she was not aware of Lyngsat!
}

Username: John_mosby

Virgina USA

Post Number: 4
There is NO true free to air Bird up there that is worth pointing your Dish to.
Why? No Commerials, No good shows.

Think about it,without a paid Subscription there are only three ways to watch Free TV.

A) With a Set of Rabbit ears, Antenna in the Attic or the Roof..

B) Steal the signal

C) The Internet

Do some of you remember the Commerial you can pay me now or you can pay me later?

Well lets hope it don't mean you.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10899
Mr Gray Ghost

You are totally wrong!

Do you work for Dn?

There are many Free to Air, which you have to paid on Dn an Bev, totally free!

Username: John_mosby

Virgina USA

Post Number: 5
Maybe Iam wrong, it will not be the first time.

As you are saying there are many Free to Air.
Please don't just talk, just give name of Bird
TP and channel that carries the above.

Name one Bird that shows movie or Sports in English
or carries ABC NBC CBS or FOX or an NFL
game.With a Radio Shack antenna I can pickup all the above

Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 578
FTA channels are a good addition to the channels picked up via over the air antenna, as posted above you can get history and bio channels at 101w , retro network at 83w, surf city usa at 105w and what ever feeds you can pick up (mostly with hd receiver, my 9200 died recently) some are sporting events on big ten network, espn u and others ...

there really isn't that much to watch , but something is better than nothing.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10903
Thanks Chumley for your answer!

Gray Ghost

For sure you don't have a FTA system which is able to get it.

I don't want list the channels because many are not listed at Lyngsat and can be encrypted if known.

So you think what you want!

A Motorized dish is needed to get those channels, forget a dish manualy aimed. Many feeds are available on which you can get the Superbow direct from satellite like a provider.
l

Silver Member
Username: Koko_wawa

Post Number: 468
Pirates' Bounty
Friday, 11 September 2009 09:44 |
With millions in black-market sales, it's no wonder that pirates have targeted Dish Network's satellite signals. But the company is fighting back.

Satellite TV broadcaster Dish Network Corp. spent the summer battling pirates. As a result, it may have stemmed programming theft believed to have cost it hundreds of millions of dollars in recent years.

Dish Network's piracy problem arose out of the growth of "free-to-air" (FTA) satellite equipment, which is meant for...

watching legal ethnic and religious programming offered unscrambled and free via satellite.

Anybody with a broadband connection and the willingness to illegally buy pirate software could, until recently, make the dishes capable of unscrambling Dish Network programming for free.

"It made it easier for consumers to be pirates," said Jeffrey Blum, a vice president and lawyer for Dish Network. "You just buy the FTA box, and you download the software."

Formerly, satellite-TV pirates had to tinker with satellite-TV receivers or buy them on the black market already illegally modified. With the new generation of FTA receivers, consumers could buy legal equipment and pirate Dish Network by simply going online.

A couple million sophisticated FTA receivers, made mostly in South Korea and China, have been sold in the United States. By 2006, somebody had cracked Dish Network's satellite-transmission technology and started selling illegal software downloads for use with FTA dishes.

Dish Network, its sister company EchoStar Corp., and its signal-security joint venture called Nagrastar LLC, which makes Dish's encryption systems, have been suing businesses it claims were selling FTA equipment and enabling piracy.

Last month, Dish Network won a legal settlement shutting down South San Francisco-based FreeTech Inc., a distributor of FTA satellites and receivers. FreeTech and three of its executives agreed to pay Dish Network $106 million if they get back in the business.

Dish Network and its partners also sued ViewTech Inc., of Oceanside, California, another large FTA dish distributor, accusing it of being a front for piracy.

ViewTech countersued, claiming it's a legitimate competitor of Dish Network and EchoStar, and that their lawsuits represent an attempt to kill off FTA distributors and monopolize the market.

That claim was undercut July 13 when the U.S. Department of Justice indicted ViewTech owner Jung Kwak on a piracy charge based on allegations that he, in 2008, offered $250,000 to obtain a memory chip from the new Dish Network encryption system, and sought to recruit hackers to crack it.

Dish Network, Nagrastar LLC, and EchoStar also are suing three other companies: Sun Valley, California-based distributor Panarex Inc., South Korean manufacturer Global Technologies Inc., and SonicView Inc. of Carlsbad, California.

Also, Dish Network spent millions mailing new encryption cards for its 13.6 million legal customers to install in their set-top boxes. Then in June, the company stopped using the signals that had been hacked, theoretically cutting off the growing black market.

Its newest card also may get cracked, and it's unclear whether the company has notched a major legal win against piracy, said Jimmy Schaeffler, an expert in satellite-TV technology with the Carmel Group in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California. The company was subpoenaed to submit testimony about the scope of piracy as part of the FreeTech case.

Not all the terms of Dish Network's settlement with FreeTech have been disclosed. Even so, it probably involved too much compromise to be considered an outright victory against piracy, he said.

"If those guys made $500 million, and EchoStar has to ignore the other $400 million, maybe EchoStar didn't really win," Schaeffler said.

Dish Network co-founder and CEO Charlie Ergen has brought up piracy several times in discussions with Wall Street analysts in the past year. The lure of piracy has been a factor in its recent difficulty adding subscribers, and its security-card replacement made it harder to hold on to existing ones.

"I think piracy and fraud as a group is a significant factor in our business," Ergen said. "It's not just with Dish Network. It's whether the guy is stealing cable or whether he's stealing DirectTV."

With cable TV's premium content now largely handled by encrypted digital transmission, pirates have found it easier to target satellite programming with large-scale organized theft.

The current generation of encryption card made by Nagrastar and sold by EchoStar to Dish Network and Canada's largest satellite-TV company has proven to be more easily hacked and pirated than DirecTV's cards, said Schaeffler.

El Segundo, California-based DirecTV Group Inc.--the 18-million-subscriber satellite leader that's majority-owned by Douglas County, Colorado-based Liberty Media Corp.--paid for a more sophisticated security card that hasn't been hacked in years, Schaeffler said.

"The core of North American paid-TV piracy is now focused on Dish Network and Bell," Schaeffler said. "There's no DirecTV hack and no digital-cable hack."

The Carmel Group estimated that before Dish Network started issuing new security cards for its set-top boxes this spring, as many as 2 million North American households received stolen Dish Network programming.

Those numbers, if accurate, mean Dish Network has lost hundreds of millions of dollars in potential subscriber revenue annually since 2006.

Credit Suisse analyst Spencer Wang projects that shutting down the piracy could prompt 150,000 to 300,000 U.S. households that were receiving signals illegally to start paying Dish Network. That would account for 6 percent to 12 percent of the new subscribers Dish Network is expected to add this year.

Dish Network declines to talk about how much piracy has cost it.

"There's a lot of money at stake," Blum said. "It's a never-ending thing. People like hacking, and it will probably never go away completely."

The company dedicates staff to tracking down pirates and has spent millions on litigation. Yet it remains mostly silent about the issue publicly.

Schaeffler believes that's a mistake. People would take piracy more seriously if they understood it meant that hundreds of millions of dollars that normally would go to the U.S. entertainment and media industries instead went to black marketers' foreign bank accounts, he said.

The cracking of Dish Network's last encryption cards caught the company by surprise, Ergen said.

It took more than a year to learn what the pirates were doing and to prepare a new encryption card, and then months more to distribute replacement encryption cards to millions of customers so Dish Network could shut off the signals that pirates had tapped.

"We won't make that mistake again," Ergen told analysts in a conference call.

Dish Network and its affiliates started working on a future encryption card even before they completed the card swap meant to end the current rash of FTA piracy. But Ergen acknowledged that won't stop piracy forever.

"It's a little bit like Whack-a-Mole, and we're knocking down those guys who had their head up pretty high," he said. "And we know that there will be some people falling in behind them."

Last Updated (Friday, 11 September 2009 09:53)

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10946
karkour kaka

We talked of true FTA, not hacking in this thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us