Dish Network VIP 222k

Username: Robble

NC

Post Number: 1
I have a paid Dish subscription set up in two rooms. It was set up recently, using hardware I am unfamiliar with. I haven't seen a real Dish IRD since 501 DVRs and I do not thoroughly understand the technology used to allow multiple televisions to work with one IRD. I DO understand it from a very armchair perspective, I know what multiplexing is in general, but in application I am lost and I am hoping that someone can save me a buttload of time trying to figure out what I even need to learn in order to set this up.

The dish on the roof has 3 LNBs in it, and one wire runs into a Holland DPD2 box. That box splits out to two outputs, VHF/UHF and SAT. Sat goes into another little box, a Dish network DP2 Separater. That DP2 Separater splits off into SAT1 and SAT2 on the back of the VIP 222k IRD. The UHF/VHF out on the DPD2 box connects to the Home Distribution port on the back of the IRD.

I would like to be able to connect the Sonicview into this same dish arrangement, but I don't know how. I think the Sonicview has a passthrough port for coax that will allow another STB or IRD to connect through it - will this allow me to keep both the VIP and the HD8000 connected concurrently and select between them?

I would be perfectly content having to manually swap a wire between the Sonicview and the DN VIP (or install a switch, whatever) but I don't know where to put it.

Does anyone know enough about this configuration know how to wire it, and equally important, what kind of switch configuration to configure the Sonicview with?

I'd love to be able to get the Sonicview working with my SG2100 / QPH031 / Winegard, but I've given up. It is nowhere near as friendly as the CS 5000 was for motorized setups.

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 5911
did u try setting's on ur sonicview,
menu , installation, dishsetting,
try to change diseqc to different position until u get signals

NC

Post Number: 2
Assuming you are referring to the Dishnet-installed setup, Signal Strength is in the high 90s and Quality is in the 90s but no channels appear when I scan. I can find a few channels on 61.5, but they don't actually come in when I try.

Silver Member
Username: Creek

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 552
http://media.photobucket.com/image/several%20FTA%20receivers%20to%20one%20lnb/jc arocho/3sat3recividores.jpg

NC

Post Number: 3
Awesome thank you Creek. I cannot easily see how the dish is configured on the roof, however there is only one IRD in my config. The VIP is a dual tuner that has only one line run to it from the dish, the other line runs to the other TV from the dish itself. It is a very clever setup.

I guess what I am really trying to figure out is what default switch configuration in the SonicView I should be using with the output of the dish on my roof. I need to understand how the signal is being split so that I can figure out how to set up the SonicView, or else I need to just try every possible config. I'm doing the latter now, but it is more than a little time-intensive, so I was hoping someone would already know how the VIP IRD works and what the config should be.

NC

Post Number: 4
Also interesting is when I am scanning just about any satellite in the SonicView 8000HD, the upper right hand corner says EchoStar 4,8 [77.0W]

If I play with the DiSEqC menu that will change, but never to the bird I am actually pointed at.

Remember that the dish IS pointed correctly and it works fine when it is plugged into the Dishnet VIP IRD, but in the SonicView I get good signal and quality but no channels.

Silver Member
Username: Creek

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 553

http://www.ftaprofessionals.tv/sonicview-8000-hd-instructions/

NC

Post Number: 5
Right and of course I have watched all the many videos and read every primer on half a dozen FTA sites, but none of them even begin to address my question.

Thanks for trying, but once again what I am asking is how the VIP 222k is configured relative to a SonicView.

Thanks to anyone who can summon an answer that is on point.

Silver Member
Username: Sump

East coast USA

Post Number: 179
i think it is VIP722k ...
here is what i understand
the DP seperater allows basically 2 different carrier signals to be used.
the 722 has 2 tuners, like having 2 seperate boxes so you can record on one channel while watching another. so that is how they are getting the switch to recongnize the 2 differant commands that the 722 would send ..ie watch channel 200 and record channel 300 at the same time/ or picture in a picture functions same thing.
so if you are going to go from 3 lnb;s to x number of boxes, 722 = 2 boxes + sonicview + other room

you need to get 3x4 switch, with that said i am not familiar with the DPD2 switch, so not knowing what lnb's you have you may need something to act as a power inserter or leave the dish boxes on to get over 500ma in the line like the DPPlus LNB's need
DP44 switch but i know there is possible compatibility issues ..need more info

Gold Member

Post Number: 5912
best thing to do is climb on roof and switch the switch that u have is to this one,
and see if this solves the problem
so what i am guessing is that u have 2 rec's
did u try ur sonicview in replace of both of those recs?

http://www.sat-sales.com/proddetail.php?prod=dmsi_diseqc_4x1_switch

NC

Post Number: 6
Thanks Sada - will that work? I mean, can I do it that simply? I can certainly get up onto the roof, but I haven't looked at the (new) installation and I don't know what kind of switch it has in it. If I did, I think I'd be watching TV now.

Is it as easy as just disconnecting the LNBs and putting a Diseqc switch in instead?

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 184
no it will not not even close .. that i do know ..

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 185
robble .. think about it for a second you currently have a setup (switch) feeding 3 (boxes and/or tuners)

you put in a 4 sat(lnb) x(by) 1 reciever switch in ??

am i missing something here ?

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 186
accually you could give up 1 tuner on the 722k plug the cable into the sonicview and that i believe would work, but you loose some functionality on the 722k

Gold Member

Post Number: 5913
that is what i meant, u can't use three rec's at same time
unless u plug in extra cable,
if u only wanna use 2 rec's
one fta
2nd dishnetwork (not the dual tuner) one
it will work fine,

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 187
sada ... the thread starts with Robble says:

I have a paid Dish subscription set up in two rooms. It was set up recently, using hardware I am unfamiliar with.
so that is at least 2 and if you add second tuner in the 722K as it is set up now that is 3
1+1+1= 3

he want's to set up 4th .. the sonic view.
1st choice:
preferable connected so he can turn on what he wants when he wants with out disconnecting anything

so what's the solution ?

I could be wrong though, but that is what i read ..

NC

Post Number: 7
The VIP 222k has two tuners in it as it is now. One cable from the LNB feeds the dual tuner box because the signal is diplexed.

So there are two cables coming from the pan on my roof, one goes to each TV. One of the cables plugs into the coax jack on the TV set with no box at all. The other cable goes from the pan on the roof to the VIP box. Splitters change the single input cable into two cables that feed the IRD's two input ports. The IRD modulates a RF signal that is sent back through the incoming line to the pan and back to the other TV where it is received on Channel 60 (that channel can be changed in the Setup of the IRD).

So it is a pretty weird configuration, and the diplexing is relatively new.

This is my point of confusion. I don't know what kind of switching is going on.

If I can't add the SonicView to the equation without adding a manual A/B type switch, that's cool. But not being able to use the SonicView at all is uncool, and that is where I am right now, because I have no idea what kind of switch configuration this weird "1 IRD 2 TV sets" duplexing involves. I can't just plug the main incoming wire into the SonicView - when I do I get signal and Quality, but when I scan, I get no channels.

So WTF is up with this strange new Diplexing configuration, and how can it be fed into a FTA box? I'm happy to totally remove the VIP 222k box and NOT have TV in the back bedroom for the moment, but even setting it up that way doesn't get the SonicView up and running. Signal and Quality but no channels on a scan. It's danged frustrating.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5915
if u get quality and signal u should be able to scan channels
make sure u match the dish setting for example
u said u have 61.5 right
so if u go to menu dish setting , u change the dish name to 61.5 and when u change diseqc u should see level and quality and on top right corner it should says 61.5
what does it says?

NC

Post Number: 8
It has the wrong satellite in the upper right hand corner. If I am scanning 61.5 for instance, it might say "AMC 4 77.0". If I press the Diseqc option and select different ports, it often changes to another sat in the upper right hand corner, just like it would if I actually had multiple LNBs pointed at multiple birds. But there are only three LNBs, 61.5 110 and 119.

I can occasionally get channels scanning lower birds using the Linear port on the motorized LNB and the motorized dish, so it does work. I've only found a few channels on a few birds though with the Sonicview, no channels on any circular sats (and therefore no pay channels).

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 189
robble,

i want to understand ..

1 dish is 110/119
1 dish is 61.5
and then another motorized dish ?

it would be helpful to know what kind of dish or /s
dish 500
dish 500 plus
super dish
dish 1000.2
dish 1000.4

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 190
on the 722K

can you get to this screen and tell me the switch that comes up ?

From the Point Dish screen, run Check Switch.When the Check Switch procedure finishes, you
should see an Installation Summary screen

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 191
ok i will give you info as i find it ..

Why can't I just use a DP-approved splitter?
Because it won't work!
• A splitter merely feeds the same signal to two places.
• The DP Plus Separator was specially-designed to separate the single cable's 950-1450 MHz band and the 1650-2150 MHz band, for the single cable to two tuner "bandtranslating" technology.

NC

Post Number: 9
Wow this is great thanks, I will look up the switch and let you know.

I didn't realize there was a way to determine the switch hardware from inside the IRD, that's mighty handy. I will post more when I can get in front of that TV.

NC

Post Number: 10
Check Dish doesn't specify a type of switch in a way I understand, so I'll just tell you what it says.

Satellite Input 1 has Ports 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Satellite Input 2 likewise, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Satellite 1 on both is 77
Satellite 2 on both is 72
Satellite 3 on both is 61.5

All three show Reception Verified and the Switch: simply reads LNB 3or4 SAT. Superdish and Alternate are both unchecked.

I am watching a Dish Bronze subscription. WTF am I doing on 77 and 72?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5916
lol robbel are u sure u are using dish network not dave?

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 11
Lyngsat shows 72 as "AMC 6" and the SonicView shows 72 as "AMC 4" but when I scan it, I get 682 TV channels and 130 radio, all sequentially labeled Echost-001, 002 etc. TV and radio. There are also 6 channels that show up as Data(No A/V).

This is by far the most significant number of channels I've seen ever on the SonicView unit, so I'm about to smile. It also required no particular switch config, I tried dicking with several before just shrugging and doing a full factory reset and accepting the default (eg Single) options. Channels dribbled right in!

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 12
Unfortunately sada I've been around long enough to know better. I'd go back to Dave if things were as fun as they were in the F/H emulation days (Tornado and SLE44E!) but FTA is just a quick fix and not so much a fun hobby in and of itself. True FTA has a lot of fun in it, but as far as these pay stations go, nowadays I just want the danged thing to work.

What I am starting to suspect, since this is a very fresh installation (3 days) Dish may be making a move to some new birds or something and the channel lists and so forth on the SonicView don't populate correctly for this reason. That'd be why I'm seeing 682 Echost-000 channels when I scan.

I don't get any picture on these channels and the iHub seems to be configured correctly, but I'll deal with that after my head stops hurting.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 13
Ah ha, all the more reason to suspect this is the case:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=139416

The more I play with this, the more confused that I get. A few stations come in - sometimes. Some of the guide starts to load in places. All the channels show up in that weird format, though, Echost-###.

I'm thinking it'll be easier to either get the Sonicview working with the motorized setup, or put a fresh dish on the roof and hit 110 & 119.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5918
ok why don't u do this first,
buy a splitter cost $ 10-20 the link i mentioned above ,
put it in replace of other switch that u are using for dn,
only try ur sonicview witht that,
try it and see if u have same problems or u would be able to scan channels ,
this will give u better idea of problem with switch or other problem

and what i am suggesting is what i can guess on best understanding of problem

i hope u won't mind it,

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 197
ultimatly you need to figure out what exactly you have on the roof first.

and tell us that. I have asked questions that have not been answer .. or i did not see/read them yet.

robble,

i want to understand ..

1 dish is 110/119
1 dish is 61.5
and then another motorized dish ?

it would be helpful to know what kind of dish or /s
dish 500
dish 500 plus
super dish
dish 1000.2
dish 1000.4

you can more than likely identify the dish from ground.

we are spitting in the wind till we know these answers ..
i would not want you to blow out an LNB or internal switch guessing

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 16038
You siad: "The dish on the roof has 3 LNBs in it, and one wire runs into a Holland DPD2 box. That box splits out to two outputs, VHF/UHF and SAT. Sat goes into another little box, a Dish network DP2 Separater. That DP2 Separater splits off into SAT1 and SAT2 on the back of the VIP 222k IRD. The UHF/VHF out on the DPD2 box connects to the Home Distribution port on the back of the IRD."

My suggestion:
Sat goes into a DP44 . Two outputs of DP44 go into SAT1 and SAT2 on the back of the VIP 222k IRD. The third output goes to Sonicview.
DP44 will probably not need to be separately powered, but I am not sure about this.

Alternatively you can try is to just insert a DP44 as stated earlier and leave the DP2 separator in situ where is and use the two outputs of DP2 as they are for Sat1 and Sat2

I am not sure from your write-up, how you are getting 110, 119 and 61.5 down into the house. Normally one would have a DP44 out there near the LNBs. By the way, your Holland DPD2 is compatible with DP44, i.e. it will not burn out.

Bronze Member
Username: Mahashweta

Post Number: 21
Robble Balinski
All you need is this A/B/C switch
to connect your Sonicview to your motorized Dish.

A) Incoming Cable that is now connected to your Dish Network receiver.

B) To your Dish Network receiver

C) To your Sonicview receiver

TV to your TV
Upload

Cheers

http://www.trianglecables.com/200-345.html

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 198
some people will say anything without research

a sat "splitter" is rated @ 47 to 2300 MHz

a tv/cable splitter is rated
Bandwidth 5-900MHz UHF-VHF-FM

like in the specs of the link you gave

This will not work

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16039
"HOLLAND DPD2 Satellite Diplexer Signal Combiner and Splitter
We recommend these Holland DPD2 Diplexers for all Dish Network Satellite Installations. Frequency range (5-2150 MHz) is greater than our Holland STVC diplexers which have a frequency range of 5-2050 MHz. These diplexers have a lower insertion loss, filter harmonics in the off-air spectrum from satellite conversion devices and allow 2 amp continuous power passing without burning out (necessary in DP44 installations).
Diplexers are used outside to combine two separate signals: one signal from the satellite dish and another signal from either an off-air TV antenna or cable TV feed into a single coaxial cable. A second diplexer is used inside to separate the combined signals. Eliminates extra wiring thereby reducing cost of labor and installation materials necessary to run two coaxial drops....."
*Necessary in all Dish Network Installations where a DP44 Switch is used! Allows 2 amp continuous power passing from the DP44 switch without burning out. If you do not have a DP44 Switch installed, the Holland STVC Diplexer will work for your application."

application/mswordUpload
HollandDPD2-pic.doc (42.0 k)

Bronze Member
Username: Mahashweta

Post Number: 23
sump do you know the difference
between a Splitter and a switch?
Iam talking about a switch not a splitter.

a sat "splitter" is rated @ 47 to 2300 MHz

a tv/cable splitter is rated
Bandwidth 5-900MHz UHF-VHF-FM

like in the specs of the link you gave

This will not work
some people will say anything without research

Well friend and some people will run their mouth without knowing or testing.

BTW MR. Sump Iam using the same switch for my

Master UHF/VHF antenna on the roof
Cable service
Satellite motorized Dish

Here try this Link you may understand this one
a little better.

https://www.americanconsumercables.com/cart/product/122151/46651/high-isolation- abc-switch.html

Use this to switch between cable TV, satellite, video games and other home video products with F-type coax connections. Isolation is in excess of 60 dB to eliminate interference from external devices and crosstalk between connected devices. Very easy to install with included hardware.

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 199
ty ty
yes i was using it as an example ..TV splitter & sat switch
show that you NEED something that can handle the higher frequencies

here's what the specs are on the link you provided ..
* Used to switch between 2 or 3 input sources
* Hardware and Adhesive Pad Included
* 75 Ohm Inputs
* 75 Ohm Output
* Bandwidth 5-900MHz UHF-VHF-FM
* 75dB Isolation
* Shielded Housing

maybe they left out the part about satelitte MHZ .? in this add.

the 2nd link provides no specs except 60dB

so you have 3 cables running from your roof to the your abc switch ok great?
Beyond the issue of if it would work it is unnecassary in this senario
if ROBBLE had 2 cables to the location of the 2 recievers this thread would not be needed his problem would be solved

having a 3 way switch and only one cable in to A-B-C switch does not make ANY sense ...
Robble knows that running an extra wire would solve all the problems
But that was not the question, or the info being exchanged

so maybe i missed something

1) the one cable that comes to the loaction is already split in 2 by the Diplexers carring 2 differant signals from the LNB's to the 2 tuners in the 722K he needs third and/or to get STB set up with current to start viewing
}

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 200
nalin ..

no one is talking about the holland switch any more

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 14
I will figure out what the hardware on the roof is.

I must correct myself though, I said I was getting 61.5W, 119W and 110W, however I am in *fact* getting 61.5W, 72W and 77W.

These are apparently new Dish Network birds. I posted a link that mentioned that Dish would begin transmitting on them.

So now what I am wondering is whether I can use these dishes at all with the SonicView, or if I will need to update the satellite information in the SonicView. I find tons of channels, but receive very limited EPG information and a picture on two or three channels out of 600.

I will post about the hardware on the roof tomorrow. I am very grateful for everyone's ideas and suggestions, and I promise that I will either get this going, or I will understand and be able to explain why it won't, whichever doesn't kill me. :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16053
61.5W, 72W and 77W.

None of the IKS services (nfusion, kbox and SV 360) will provide you with the necessary keys. so you are going to be as much in the dark as the rest of the community with their variety of brand name FTA receivers.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 15
Is that correct? Legit users who are pointing at 72 and 77 are of course using the same plastic (or cardless code) as users who are pointing at 110 and 119, so I wasn't sure if the keys will be different after all.

Clearly though, the EPG not filling in much tells us something isn't right though...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16055
Your Dish supplied receivers will be able to give your your subscribed N3 channels. However, to get them on your Sonicview, you have to have I-hub and keep connected to internet. You are restricted by the i-hub people to the channels you can have, which is currently 119 and 118.7 channels and possibly some 110 channels. The fact the same channels may be there on 72W or 77W is irrelevant - Sonicview i-hub does not decipher them at present and that's it.
Also it is only Sonicview 360 with i-hub that is active in the IKS mode I have just described. I think the HD box by Sonicview is also active via IKS. None of the other Sonicview models are active.
For you with the Vip22K, you may be able to take a signal off from the PVR part after it has been deciphered and take it to another TV - I am not sure how to do this. Then you can use one part of Vip22K for watching in one room and hopefully the PVR section of it with its separate tuner in another room but not via Sonicview.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 16
Thanks, that is helpful. I have a 8000HD with an 8PSK card and iHub, but that isn't going to do me any good if there are differences in N3 between the satellites and I'm pointing to the wrong ones. I also didn't know there were Dish channels on 118.7, that is cool.

The VIP 222k doesn't have a PVR unfortunately, but I see where you're going.

If I can't receive anything on the birds I'm pointing at, I will need to either use the motorized setup for the Sonicview (which doesn't work, the SonicView seems to suck with motors, according to a lot of the web) or just put up a new dish pointed at the proper birds.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16056
A 33" dish with the proper 118/119 LNB is available in Canada for under $60. There must be a similar buy from US suppliers. Just for the specs, look at the following URL, then buy from a place of your choice. I must emphasize that you have to buy a specific type of LNb - it costs only $15-20 but is a must for ANIK F3 at 118.7W.

http://transatelectronics.com/store/33inch-dish-w-fta-dual-lnb_P290?zenid=b1df47 425bd1c42dec386e4a3c12bc49

I do not recommend their special 24" dish for the same purpose. It might be OK for Toronto, but may not work as well elsewhere.

You are faulting the motor, but have you considered the fact taht your LNB or the dish size may not be adequate. If you have a 33" dish, you might try the special LNB. It will also work for most of the sats where you need a circular LNB.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 17
You are assuming much. :-)

I have a 36" Winegard with a SG2100 motor and a Invacom QPH-031 on my motorized setup. It's worked fine with a CS 5000 for years, both on True FTA and for pay stations, but the SonicView is just crap for motorized setups. I thought it might just be me, but there are many people on the web lamenting the poor motor support in the SV units.

I have a spare 18" dish brand new in the attic left over from one of the dozens of IRD setups I've bought since I started in this hobby (F card Dave days) so the easiest thing might be for me to just stick a fresh new dish install on the roof and use it with the SonicView, and go back to using the functionally superior CS for True FTA with the motorized dish.

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 201
robble
*fact* getting 61.5W, 72W and 77W

that answers a lot of questions.

ultimatly what kind of programing are you after ?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16057
1. Invacom QPH-031 does not catch 118.7W. Plymouth has it and he has tried and failed to get it.
As I said, CB2008A or similar LNB specifically designed for 118/119 is the only type of reciever that is good for catching ANIK F3. This is another URL - for Digiwave DGL1189L.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B002HEUC5A

2. 18" dish is NO GOOD for 118W. You must have a 33" or larger dish for it. 30" might be just OK. Transat Electronics is advertising a 24" dish for it but it is marginally adequate for Toronto.

The more I look at this thread, the more I realize that the main problem is the LNB. I lot of people before you have posted in the same tone about their Invacom LNB, but I am simply stating the fact that that expensive LNB will not catch 118.7W as a a cheap specially designed LNB such as CB2008A or SGL 1189 will.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 18
That is cool to know, so someday if I ever try to catch 118.7W I will get a different LNB. For my needs here though, I'm not interested in 118.7 and I'm quite sure a new LNB will not be helpful to me in getting Dish Network from the satellites I am interested in.

For the purposes of this thread though, I am more interested in getting the typical Dish Network channels on either 110 and 119, or the two new birds 72 and 77 that I discovered Dish are using after sump told me how to look at the Check Switch menu.

Sump, I am trying to get 110 and 119, or whatever birds I have to point at to get traditional Dish programming with the SonicView. I didn't know until you explained it that the two professionally installed dishes on my roof were pointed at 72 and 77, so that explained a lot.

I can go back to using the CS5k to get real FTA channels with the motorized setup, that's not a problem. The CS has always worked (not for pay TV anymore, of course). What I am trying to do above and beyond all else is set up the SonicView to receive Dish Network using IKS.

This thread has taught me a number of very helpful things, most importantly that my Dishnet-installed dishes are pointed to the wrong (new) satellites; and that the SonicView probably won't decipher the signal on those newer satellites. My two options are to fix the motorized setup, which looks daunting based on the problems others are having with the SonicView; or to put up a new dish pointed at the right birds.

I think the second option is going to be my easiest.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 19
Nalin Nyda actually I just realized that you had said that SonicView WILL get some Dish Network channels on 118.7. If this is the case, getting another LNB really might be helpful for my needs.

I just realized that and wanted to point it out and say thank you, I must have totally overlooked how helpful that your advice is.

I am still thinking that since my goal is to get Dish Net programming (from wherever it happens to be) the easiest thing for me to do is just put up a new dish pointed at the two sats I am already familiar with, 110 and 119 and use SV IKS off that, and then I'll just use the CS5K for True FTA.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16058
For along time people were using a 110/119 combo LNB and added a 129W LNB.
The new setup (see 500 plus or 1000 plus) is 118/119 combo and 110 separate on a 30 -33 inch dish.
With the 118/119 combo you will get over 200 channels on SV 8000. The PPVs on 110 are slow to come in all the three IKS services, they hardly exist at present.

Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 573
C/P DSSROOKIE

The channels on those sats will work with the iHub but when you scan the channels in they won't align in sid order and they probably won't have the channel name tags. There is a channel list floating around that you can load that will put the names on the channels but you still can not get them in sid order. You can get the HD's on 61.5 by doing the 61.5 to 129 spoof

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 20
WOW now that sounds VERY interesting Chumley. Do you have any info on where to get the 61.5 to 129 spoof? A channel list would be kickbutt too.

I'm still thinking a dish pointing at 110 and 119 are going to be the easiest thing. I'd love to get the motor working on the SonicView so I can do FTA and pay on the same box, but it doesn't sound like that is going to be realistic.

Well shucks though, if it turns out that I CAN use the 72/77 birds, then I need to go back to figuring out what LNB and switch Dishnet installed on my roof so I can set it up in the SonicView again. Back to square one I guess, but armed with more knowledge.

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 202
ok ROBBLE glad i could help, i too learned some things.

here is the new info i got.

seems that DN has gootten the 3 birds to
1) help with people that do not have clear sky in the 110/119 direction
2) the 61,72,77 are the new eastern ark and the preferred DN set up now.
3) they are mirrors of 110.118.119
4) they are MPEG-4 so you need HD or a way to decode the audio.
5) Nfusion HD will work on the channels it gets.
6) kbox is not hd yet, waiting for K2 to come out

I under stand that SOME of the boxes do not have the sat info in them so there are no settings in them for those 3 sats under the LNB config screen.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 21
I have settings for them, but some of the names are not what I expect them to be.

Regarding your #4 sump, does this mean that the 8PSK card will be *required* to be able to scan any channels? I do have a 8PSK card, but it is not installed in my SonicView yet because I thought it was only necessary for watching in HD. I'll have a HD set in the next week, but for now I'm only using SD so I didn't bother with the 8PSK card yet. Should I?

I do have a clear sky to the 110 and 119 (and for that matter, 91 too) and my motor rig seems to have no trouble hitting the Clarke Belt. The only thing I haven't been able to get with the motor and the CS5K is, I think it was 123. It had a lot of good things on it that for some reason I couldn't get with my current setup.

That's neither here nor there though, now I am thinking that I should give a shot to trying the 129 Spoof Chumley spoke about. I found that file and downloaded it (from TVKeyz) and maybe it will take me to at least one of the places I'm trying to get. It is called

SVHD8000_61-5to129_Spoof_lightning.bin

in case anyone following this is having similar issues.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 22
Is that spoof file installed from the USB flash just like any other firmware would be?

That is a good question in itself - are there regular fix or update files for the satellites in the SonicView? I haven't seen many.

One more thing - what exactly are the rules of baseball, in detail? (heheh)

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 203
yes need the card for MPEG-4 it decode the siganal

you can watch the SD TV with a HD tuner (sonicview etc)

i would try the card first you MUST have it, ( for the MPEG-4 stuff) see what you get you ole tester

then try the spoof, it may be a bin to give the 61. codes to the sonicview ..LNB, transponder, etc
you could use Lyngsat and do it manually, add your own sat and settings i would think

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 23
That's what I typically do, look it up on Lyngsat. A lot of the information on that site is still alien to me, but I've had no trouble getting what I need out of it through a combination of logic, trial and error and raw luck.

That also explains something - if I didn't have the 8PSK card in, lots of things wouldn't have come in anyway.

I'm not up and running, but at least now I have a whole new list of things I can experiment with - some might work and some might not, but all will be fun and interesting.

Plus now I know that if I just stick a new standard Dishnet pointed at 110/119 and connect it to the SV8000HD with the 8PSK card and iHub, it will probably work fine. Expect for the 8PSK, I thought I had that configuration at the beginning of this thread already, but I was incorrect, as the pans point to different satellites.

I will report back when anything interesting happens. The progress is making this fun :-)

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 24
Why does everyone say not to Blind Scan with SonicView 8000HD? I have been doing nothing but blind scan...

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 25
This file says it has fixes for the 72 and 77 birds, among others:

http://www.ftabins.net/showthread.php?t=95519

Gold Member

Post Number: 5923
u can definately try it if u have hd rec,
site is quite safe and secure , i am not sure though that's what u are asking

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 26
A little bit more reading has shown me a lot. There are quite a few satellite files and channel files that update information for the newer birds.

Would anyone happen to know these two things:

#1 What is the newest fix files for SonicView 8000HD that contain any Dish Network birds

#2 What do these various "Spoof" files do and how can we use them?

It appears that the Spoof files do something like replicate HD channels using the 8PSK module onto another satellite, maybe to allow the same bird to be scanned twice, once for HD and once for SD. Does that even make sense?

Thanks everyone for all of this help, it is amazing how far you've helped me pull myself up. I'm still not watching, but I'm closer every time one of you post.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 27
I used the "Scrubber" file from:

http://www.stonerfta.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

and it reset *everything* to whatever factory was, then I re-installed 4.62 and what I thought was the latest satellite fix. I am still getting 600+ channels with the Echost-### name and no picture or EPG.

How is this, would anyone here happen to have a motor and be familiar with the SV8000HD? That would be the ideal, to get the two working together so I can easily point at everything (except apparently 118.7) and not have to involve the old CS.

Is there a central release point for SonicView satellite update files? I'd love to be able to keep an eye out for changes.

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 219
word is that SV8000 works on 72 with almost everything up ..

http://www.abadss.com/forum/324-sv8000-ihub-help/113944-72-7-sv8000-works.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16075
There is definite news of 77W chanels working on SV 8000HD.
You have to work on it to get the channels seen.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 28
EXCELLENT! Thanks mucho, I appreciate the news. I see the 72.7 channel list posted there on abadss, so now I just have to figure out why I'm not getting anything.

It is entirely possible that the lack of a proper EPG discouraged me and I didn't sit on any channel long enough for keys to roll, or whatever the IKS equivalent is. I was seeing a picture on two or three channels - perhaps just non-pay channels that don't need to roll?

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 220
remember must have the "card" installed to decode
MPEG-4 those sat are almost all HD type stuff

Silver Member

East coast USA

Post Number: 221
i would bet any of the "UP" iks HD's would work since it is basically mirror sats
i am not HD waiting for .... K2......

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 29
Okay now I have an astonishingly dumbass question.

How do I find a channel list for 72.7? I don't see that particular satellite listed, and I don' t know how to add it to the selection in the Sonicview without a file.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 30
Pity that blind scanning doesn't seem to work using the 8PSK tuner.

Username: John_mosby

Virgina USA

Post Number: 6
http://dishuser.org/72list.php

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 31
That is awesome Gray Ghost, thanks! But I guess I should be more specific, I am wanting to add the 72.7 satellite to the list inside the SonicView? Right now there are two AMC satellites listed at 72 but nothing at 72.7, and I don't know how to get the 72.7 satellite into SonicView so that I can select it to scan.

Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 580
72 and 77 list update SV8000HD 24/07/09
www.ftabins.net/showthread.php?t=103842

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 32
Thanks. Are these sat updates cumulative, or does the last one wipe out info from the previous updates?

Username: John_mosby

Virgina USA

Post Number: 7
wanting to add the 72.7 satellite to the list inside the SonicView? Right now there are two AMC satellites listed at 72 but nothing at 72.7, and I don't know how to get the 72.7 satellite into SonicView so that I can select it to scan.

Rename one of the AMC and change the Longitude to 72.7
or Select New and enter the name of your new Satellite.

Robble
Don't you have the manual for your receiver?

If you don't try here.

http://www.sonicviewusa.com/support.html

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 33
Thanks, actually I just got carried away asking here instead of reading more, but good point.

Something the manual doesn't tell us - does anyone have any idea how long the SonicView is typically taking to roll the first time, or is autoroll working at all?

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 34
I am now getting a lot of channels on 72 & 77. Some of them require sitting for literally a minute before it will come in, others snap right in quick as you please.

This will be a lot more fun though with a more standard setup, either motorized or with a new pan pointed to 110/119 like I thought I had initially.

In any case, IKS is working - slowly in many cases, but that is fine. Beta is beta, and I'm glad to have it to play with. (Naturally this is with the 8PSK card installed, as you all have said before, without the card these channels are all but bare).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16079
I am glad you are getting channels, and apologize to you for misinformation regarding the availability on SV8000HD from Sat at 77w.
Happy viewing.

Bronze Member

NC

Post Number: 35
I am going to make another thread, since I think this one has fully addressed what I thought were my questions at the time.

I am grateful for everyone's help, thanks to you I'm watching TV.

What the new thread will deal with is trying to get the Sonicview working with the motorized setup. Now that IKS is working on the stationary dish, getting the motor to work with the SonicView should be real fun. Or will it? Stay tuned, same bat time...

Really, thanks everyone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us