55,000 Web sites hacked

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 15936
55,000 Web sites hacked to serve up malware cocktail

Taken from ZDNET.

Security researchers are raising an alarm for a potent malware cocktail '" backdoor Trojans and password stealers '" being pushed to Windows users from about 55,000 hacked Web sites.
According to Mary Landesman, a researcher in ScanSafe's security threat alert team, the cybercriminals have embedded a malicious iFrame into tens of thousands of Websites to fire exploits at unsuspecting PC users who surf to one of the rigged sites.
The iFrame points to an intermediary exploit site which in turn loads additional exploits and malware from up to seven different malware domains, Landesman said.
She ran a Google search of the iFrame script tag and found it embedded on about 54,900 sites, many of them legitimate online destinations.
Victim sites include www.feedzilla.com, latindiscover.com, and a number of charitable and nursing facilities, including howellcarecenter.com, sweetgrassvillagealf.com, www.foodsresourcebank.org, and morningsideassistedliving.com.
At the time of writing this blog post, the number of hacked sites listed in Google results climbed to 56,000.
It is not yet clear which vulnerabilities are being exploited in this attack but, judging from recent history, end users should ensure that operating system and desktop software programs are fully patched.
The most common programs under attack include Adobe Flash, Adobe PDF Reader, Apple's QuickTime, WinZip and RealPlayer. In addition to Microsoft Windows patches, these desktop applications should be updated to the newest version immediately.

Gold Member
Username: Riconissan

Post Number: 1911
Thank you Nalin

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15941
I posted it, because it is a serious threat.

Silver Member
Username: Mohamad_obama

Terhan, Iran Iran

Post Number: 483
To whom?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15949
The message says
"The most common programs under attack include Adobe Flash, Adobe PDF Reader, Apple's QuickTime, WinZip and RealPlayer."
If you use any of these in your work, they are advising
"these desktop applications should be updated to the newest version immediately.
People have to use their own judgment regarding
backdoor Trojans and password stealers and devise their own defences.

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3068
Heres a hint... if you want free software YOU GET MORE FREE HIDDEN SOFTWARE then you bargained for.

Btw... if your running XP, Vista or windows 7 its good practice to turn off the system restore function. "backdoor Trojans and password stealers and viruses etc...love to hide in there. Even if you think your anti virus proection or any other spyware or male-ware programs got ride of the problem .
Updating isn't enough.

Once bitten twice served.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 10718
Thanks Nalin for this info

You are the best!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15961
Plymouth: You are welcome.
I consider this threat more serious because it could come from any of the 55000 web sites they have hacked and then it could get propagated even to Ecoustics.

Bronze Member
Username: Hammerset

Post Number: 14
my firewall have warn me when installing winrar , was trying to connect to an ftp server , have killed the install

best is use a personal firewall and learn how to use it

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3080
personal firewalls are not enough either. Computers are like cars... you need to maintain them to keep them running smoothly... just putting in gas isn't going to fix a problem if one should accrue.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10728
Nalin

Yes it could but I use a old Win98 with Ecoustics which is never dead and get any Virus or if get one it is simply recover with a disc install without any lost.
I use this to prevent all idiots which can post bad link.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15969
Very good idea. I think I should bring my Win98 computer from the basement.

Bronze Member
Username: Hammerset

Post Number: 18
Doreen

yep , firewall prevent one kind of attack , for sure you need an antivirus etc ...

was talking about that problem i got from winrar

an anitivurus would not see that connection , and a new virus with no known sig could have proliferate

Silver Member
Username: Realtorkim

INDIANA United States

Post Number: 203
Hi Plymouth, Naylin Doreen, What ?
Did I really read this thread right.
So Awesome......
I/we should print and frame this one.... just
kidding guys......

Talk about fta depression, Yet logging in and reading your all posts, brighten my day and I'm smiling
Pretty awesome.

No one would know what I'm talking about other than you guys. I'll leave it at that

You 3 are the best, I'm glad I read this one.

Respectfully, all
Kimberly

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 10733
Hi Kimberly!

Thanks for your support!

Sincere greeting to your family!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3085
LOL understood Kim

I take computers very seriously. I fix computers in my home ( small business ) and I can't tell you how many times this kind of problem happens. People need to be more carefull when venturing out into the world wide web. The Internet is a great place to gain access to almost anything for free or other wise but it can be very costly too.

Gold Member
Username: Riconissan

Post Number: 1927
Doreen started early repairing computers.
Upload

Printing a screenshot.
Upload

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3087
LMAO.... good one rico

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3088