Plasma green ghosting or "phosphor delay"

Username: Buckchester

Post Number: 7
I'm debating whether to go LCD or plasma. Looking at the Panasonic S1 series or the new Sony V series. From all the reviews I've read, the Panasonic's strengths appeal to me more. However, as I do a lot of gaming I'm concerned of two things: burn-in or what some people call "phosphor delay". By phosphor delay I mean green ghosting that appears to streak off objects in fast moving scenes with high contrast. I've seen horror videos of this on youtube, which are especially prevalant in video games like Cal of Duty or in high contrast movies like Sin City. But when viewing plasmas on show room floors I have never seen it. I've also yet to find any salesperson that claims to have seen it either.

My question: for any of those who know of these videos that demonstrate this problem, is this some how enhanced through these online videos? I'm wondering if the fact that ppl are recording these videos with their camcorders, if that enhances the effect. You know, like when you film a TV with a camera, you can see the flicker in the video, but you can't see that flicker in person. I have never seen video games play on a plasma before, so the last thing I'd want is to bring home a new plasma TV only to have to return it because of these green ghosting images.

If anyone has any first hand experience with this, any info you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4148
I wouldn't get a plasma if you want to play a lot of games on it.

What brand of plasmas are having these problems? I've never heard of or seen any such thing on a Panny.

Plasma PQ is definitely better but you can get burn-in from static images on games if you play them enough and don't watch enough TV between.

Username: Buckchester

Post Number: 8
I've heard of this happening on different types of plasmas, panasonic and others, although I'm not aware of the models. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm63BEhHWUk

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4149
I wouldn't buy a plasma to play a lot of games on. If you do make sure it's very well broken-in first. DON"T take it out of the box and start playing games. Plasmas take 100-200 hours to break-in.

I've got 2 panny plasmas that I've played a little bit of games on without any problems other than image retention. It took 3 days one time for all the IR to go away. I haven't played games on them since. I use a CRT to play games on. No response time lag, no burn-in.

Username: Edgeofourpants

Post Number: 2
You could try a DVD like the one from http://www.pixel-repair.com that helps remove screen burn-in and ghosting. We use it on one of our gaming TVs (a Prima 37" LCD but it works with Plasma too) and it's worked very well. The added stuff on their DVD about how to adjust your settings on your TV for a better picture is another side bonus.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us