Samsung DLP - Light Engine?

Username: Justgreene

Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 1
My Samsung DLP HL-R5667W is freezing up especially when I watch in DVR mode or another a/v input mode like dvd or vhs. It freezes then goes through a sort of off/on cycle. Once it starts it happens every few minutes. I took it to a service shop and they said it needs a new light engine - $780. The tv is 4 years old and out of warranty. I am wondering if a light engine is the correct diagnosis? There were not problems with picture and/or color...just the freezing up. All thoughts are appreciated. For that price I can get a new tv.

Username: Crowell

Post Number: 5
New light engine? Hmmmmm. The symptoms that you describe can be associated to two main components, the DMD (that is a part of the light engine) or the video board (its divided in digital & analog where the dvd and other external components hook up) to determine which one is causing problems there are a couple of do it your self test.
The first one is: turn on your tv, and see if you can bring up the menu. If there is nothing wrong with the tv menu then there is a strong possibility that the DMD board is fine and the video board gets bad points and vise versa. If the tv menu is distorted or it cant be displayed then the DMD is probably defective.
Another test, try to hook up a device using a HDMI cable (such as a blueray player) or try a computer using a VGA cable and turn on the TV. If there are no problems then we can probably discard the digital side of the video board. Now since you already tried a dvd I assume you are using a component cable (red, white & yellow cables), what that is telling me is that there is something wrong with the analog side of the video board.
If you are willing to spend money to repair the TV & you are convinced it's the DMD board, then I suggest you try to look for it buy part number, if no luck then look for light engines that have a DMD included, so be careful and read the description on the part your going to buy. As for the price, $780!!! They are bananas!
I found a website that has some for less than half. Here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=HL-R5667W%20light%20engine

happy hunting.

Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Crowell -
Thank you for your awesome post. I will definitely try your suggestions. If I can fix it myself for $200-300 that would be awesome. I will repost after I do your suggestions and hope to have a clear answer for you.

Aurora, IL USA

Post Number: 3
Crowell-
So, I hooked up the TV and for some reason it was working as if nothing was ever wrong. That was 3 weeks ago. However, now it is going back to its old ways - no sound, freezes up, goes black screen, then starts again. It goes through this cycle every few minutes. It did this when I had a dvd player hooked up with component cables and watching a show through my DVR. Regular TV seemed to work. I unplugged the TV and let it sit and that seemed to help for a little bit. So, I am not sure what the issue is. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Justin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us