Help aiming dish please!

Username: Jimustanguitar

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I just ordered a new DVR unit from Dish Network but have had a heck of a time getting a good signal. I had a dual tuner dish setup previously (Dish 500) but it was not feeding a DVR unit. The new tuner is supposed to point towards sat 119 which is about 50 degrees off from where the dish is currently. Seriously, I'm supposed to aim between 222 and 224 degrees and it started out in the 270's!!! Must have been pointing at a different sat or something.

Stupidly, I re-aimed my dish with a compass and have about 59 on my signal scale (I'm not sure what units those are, that's just what it ways). Should I be aiming the dish from the flat sides of the pipe brackets, or is this the wrong reference point to measure from?

When I click ok and have sat 119 selected and showing signal, it says it is searching for a signal and starts counting to 5, but every time it gets to the number two the transponder number changes on the screen and the count starts back at zero. This happens over and over, very frustrating.

What I am going to try here in a second is, flattening out the scew and measuring my azimuth from the LNB arm, then setting my elevation, and last my scew. Another post in this forum recommended that order of operations.

Any advice for me in my endeavor?

Thanks.

I'm an AV guy by trade, but have never gotten into cable or satellite work before so anything I can learn (other than don't touch it again) is much appreciated. I just stumbled upon this forum while searching for sat aiming advice, but will search around and add my two cents when appropriate. I worked in a hifi shop with B&W and McIntosh caliber equipment for about 7 years, and now am in the commercial market so I have two pretty wide ranges of experience. I went from trying different grades of solder to make patch cables sound better, to making service calls to help people put in their dvd's before they hit play and changing remote batteries because "everything you sold me is broken". You know what I mean :-)

Thanks again.

Username: Watch_dog

Post Number: 8
Why does the DVR needs to be pointing to
EchoStar 7 at 119.0°W ?

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 3207
do u have 2 eyes on ur lnb. (the thing thats connected to the dish)? two white round eyes.
google sat calculator and open one, putin ur zip and it will tell you all ur settings for the dish. u will need another person to help watch the signal meter on the tv while you slowly move the dish a little at a time AFTER u have set it up using a satellite calculator. u will be trying to get 110 AND 119 most likely.

Username: Jimustanguitar

IN USA

Post Number: 2
I do have a dual LNB setup. And yes I need to be pointing at sat 110 and 119.

It seems that previously the installer had pointed our dish at 110 only and now I need to point at both of them? Does that sound possible or correct?

I have found all of the different angles and skew that I need to point at to receive a good signal, but have not gotten a reliable link as of yet.

What is the proper procedure for setting my azimuth? I have been placing the skew on 90 so that the dish is level and not twisted, and then matching my compass heading to the angle that the LNB arm is protruding. Is this correct or is there a better or more accurate way to do this?

The elevation and skew I am less concerned with since they have graduations on the mount... Of course assuming that the pole is plumb first.

Thanks a buunch!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us