A PVR puzzle to kill time

Bronze Member
Username: Wabash

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 92
While we wait for the N3 fix, I'd like to offer a personal problem as a puzzle of sorts to pass the time. Here goes...

A man has a Viewsat Pro FTA receiver with PVR capabilities and two external USB hard drives. Drive 1 has a 350GB capacity and is nearly full. Drive 2 has a 1TB (1024GB) capacity and is only about 1/4 (25%) full.

The receiver has formatted both drives with two partitions. Part 1, which has an E2FS format, is used for the recorded content but apparently is unaccesible if the drive is connected to a Linux or Windows machine. Part 2, which has a FAT32 format, is used for photos and other files and can be accessed by Linux or Windows.

Said receiver allows you to copy a recorded file from from Part 1 to Part 2 on either drive and you may copy any file, even a recording, from Part 2 to another computer and viceversa. However, the receiver prohibits copying any file, especially a recorded one, from Part 2 to Part 1.

Question:
How do you transfer ALL the recordings from Drive 1's Part 1 to Drive 2's Part 1 so you may watch them all on the receiver without having to switch drives?

Hopefully, this little mindbender will reduce the incessant trolling this forum always suffers from everytime the channels are down.

The winner will receive my gratitude, bragging rights and the satisfaction that he taught us all something new.
Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Riconissan

Post Number: 1668
If the winner would receive four nights in Vegas with Angelina Jolie, I would consider thinking about your problem while I sit on a toilet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
If I had that kind of money, I'd probably pay D*ish for my entertainment, wouldn't I? And I'd keep Jolie for myself.

Gold Member
Username: Lol

MAYBE I CAN ASK TO, , ADMIN TO BAN YOU

Post Number: 1594
cough-- Linux Reader

Bronze Member
Username: Pannui6

Post Number889

Post Number: 15
Tiger your obsessed with Plymouth are you not??

Username: Lol
Full Name: Paul
Last Logged In: July 05, 2009
Total Posts: 1594
Home Page URL: http://PLYMOUTH Sayings
City: MAYBE I CAN ASK TO,
State/Province: ADMIN TO
Personal Quote: PLYMOUTH Sayings
Your A/V System: MAYBE I CAN ASK TO, ADMIN FOR
BAN YOU
Your Car Audio System: Plymouth failed Saying of the year
-) Click Here to send a private message to Lol

Silver Member
Username: Pannu16

Post Number: 885
am i that big deal that u need to pretend that its me.. .look at post numbers and everyone will know that u r a fake imposter of my self!! U r a fu*kin loser dumba*ss!!

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 522
Mount the 2 USB drives on a PC and then install this free utility:

http://en.kioskea.net/telecharger/telecharger-235-ext2-installable-file-system

Then use Windows Explorer to copy the files.

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
I did not mean MOUNT the USB drives,,,,,, I meant plug the USB drives in a PC.

Bronze Member
Username: Pannui6

Post Number889

Post Number: 18
Nannu nannu im the real LOSER pannu

Silver Member
Username: Picanha

East LA

Post Number: 550
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Sorry, Limits. The installer on the link you sent won't run either on XP or 32-bit Vista.

In any case, I tried using Ext2IFS months ago. The E2FS Partition appeared empty and unformatted. I'd have to see if there's a newer version of the application that may solve the problem.

Who's next?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
I think the app doesn't run because it's a French version. I'll look for an English update, just in case.

Silver Member

Post Number: 524
What are you talking about Wabash ? The software is English, I had no problem installing it on Windows XP Pro and had no problem running it !!!!

It will run on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
You're right, Limits, it was a bad download. I installed it. Still, it's the same result as months ago. Three E2FS partitions I can't access that require formatting.

You did give me an idea, though. If I format the biggest E2FS partition under Windows and then record over it, I should have access to the new recordings. I'd lose anything I already had, of course. I'll test it later with another drive.

Any suggestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
What would scare me Wabash is that files recorded are encrypted. This might likely be it. Only can they be recognized by your receiver only. Makes sense.

Just a thought.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Encription is unlikely, Limits. Like I said, I can copy the files to the FAT32 partition, just not back to the E2FS one.

Also, if you take my drive and connect it to a different receiver, you can see the recorded content just as well. I've tried it and it works.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us