Archive through March 16, 2009

Username: Wasabigsonyfan

Post Number: 1
Sony was called last week. My KDF-42WE655 was the reason. Tech was suppose to come out Mon. He called and said Sony wouldnt give him an authorization #. Lost a day of work! Called Sony they gave me another appointment Tuesday. Tech called at noon and said same thing. Called Sony and they finally gave him the # . He was able to come out but not till 5. Another lost day of work! Lamp access door warped and burnt along with many other features. Tech, his supervisor and Sony REP agreed it is unfixable and could be unsafe if attempted. They dont make the parts needed anyhow. Sony called today offering me KDL46V4100 for $844 plus tax or KDL46W4100 for $988 plus tax. I paid almost 3 grand just 4 years ago for mine. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would last ONLY 4 yrs. I understand my TV has depreciated but the deal being offered is crazy. Unacceptable to me so I told her to let it go back to whomever it is she said the paperwork needed to go back to. I understand this is how they are going about these issues but how do they even come up with what they are offering. Who is going to set it up for me? Who is going to pay and dispose of the paper weight? It does NOT have the features of my TV<no>, the stand is by far NOT sturdy and worrys me with children present. In shock this is what they offered----shaking my head in confusement

Bronze Member
Username: Hdinma

Post Number: 25
Last Update:

Well, our new KDL-52W4100 arrived Wednesday morning and so far, so good! It's taking some time for me to get used to a 52" screen as my original Sony was 42" and the one we were using in the meantime was a 37" Samsung, so this thing looks like a basketball backboard to me.

I need to put in a plug here for Sony's motion enhancing technology, 120 Hz refresh and 24p frame rate. Simply AWESOME!

I set the motion enhancer to high and put in Prince Caspian on BD and it's mesmerizing. Planet Earth? Stunning. Some people don't care for the effect but I am immediately a HUGE fan of it. It takes some time to get used to seeing things CLEARLY no matter what's taking place and especially while the camera is panning. It's almost a 3D effect and makes me think I'm looking through a window.

I loved my 42" Grand Wega but I had no idea what I was missing.

Cheers everyone!
-Doug

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Oh, one more thing ...

I forgot to mention that the PS3 does a FANTASTIC job while upconverting my regular DVDs - very close to the Blu-rays imho. I'm not sure how it does this, but all the ones I have viewed so far, and especially the animated "kids" ones like "KungFu Panda", etc., look like flawless high definition source material.

This is a huge plus for me because Blu-ray Discs are still kind of expensive and I did not want to have to repurchase any of the ones I already own.

The only complaint I have thus far is that SD feeds are not that great and some even have nasty and annoying jagged aritfacts on the very top line of the screen! But then again, aside from my wife watching Lifetime (gag) we really don't watch many SD channels anymore. They are quickly becoming extinct .. thank goodness! :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Mark Reynolds,

Call again and ask for Debbie. ;)

Username: Justdoit

Paducah, KY

I've followed this forum for a few months, now, and have finally reached the point that I need to present the problem I'm having with my KF-42WE610 and see if anyone has any idea what to do with it.

I bought this set 12/19/03 from Circuit City and made the decision carefully based on the reputation for quality of Sony products, so, among other things, I wouldn't need to buy the extended warranty. I expected to get at least 15 years out of the TV (not 5). It performed flawlessly until the lamp power supply gave out as the result of an earlier power surge during an electrical storm. The power supply and lamp were replaced by a Sony repair facility 8/8/07.

On 11/7/08 the picture suddenly went to a bright red, resulting in darker areas such as mouths, eyes and hair appearing to be bleeding or on fire. The whole screen had a red tint, but it was more pronounced in dark areas. The problem came and went; sometimes the picture was fine, sometimes it was so dark red, nothing could be discerned, other times it just had a slight reddish tint.

The local Sony repair shop made a telephonic diagnosis of a bad optical block and said it would cost $928.62 to repair. That's when I found this forum and started the process everyone else has gone through, dealing with Sony. I wound up being offered the opportunity to buy another Sony TV at a "bargain" price of more than the same set would cost from other sources on line. After that insult, I bought a 52" Samsung from Amazon, and I, too, should thank Sony for putting me in that position. The Samsung is just fabulous.

In the meantime, I can't accept the possibility that the 42WE610 is just junk. I replaced the lamp, just to make sure that wasn't the problem, but it didn't change anything. I think I'm capable of replacing the optical block, but am hesitatnt since my situation is unlike anything else I've seen described as an optical block problem.

Can anyone confirm that what I've described is a problem with the optical block? I've even noticed that when the picture is in its "red" mode and the set is turned off, the screen glows red for a few moments after turning it off.

I've noticed some mention of the B-board, but not much about what it does, or what symptoms it exhibits when it goes bad. Could this be related to the B-board? If so,I'd sure like some information on how to replace it and where to get the part.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Bronze Member
Username: Trinh

Post Number: 11
Jim,

If the B board fails, you will see thin, vertical color lines across the entire screen.
If the B board fails, you cannot change channels with the remote or buttons on the TV.

Hope that helps.

Paducah, KY

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Trinh. That helps since now I know I can eliminate that as a concern.

Username: Marcus_schultze

Brampton, Ontario Canada

Hi I'm new here. I have a KF50WE610 and tonight I turned it on to find that there is no red colour(canadian spelling) in my tv. I assume that means that my red LCD module is toast. Can that be replaced separately or do I need to replace the entire optical block? Would anyone know where to purchase just the red LCD? This tv has been great for the past 4-1/2 years I just need some red in the picture.

Username: Twinmom

I also have the KDF-E50A10 with the same exact problem, OB, with the blue starting in the lower left corner and spreading across. I was told by Sony that not enough people with this model have complained for them to extend the warranty. Has anyone had any luck with this model?}

Bronze Member
Username: Mcjean

Post Number: 15
Patricia,

I have the 50A10 and my problem started exactly the same way. SONY is well aware of this model and they offered me a replacement TV for $975.00 incl shipping and they threw in an extended 2 year warranty. (3 yrs in total). I know that other people did not get this offer and I have no idea why, but they are definitely aware that this model is defective. Oh yes, BTW, it was the "W" series that I opted for. The jump to 120HZ is a must as far as I'm concerned. Good Luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Tenshun

Jean, when did they give you that offer? Talk about equitable...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Wayne, I accepted this offer around the 17th or so of December. It arrived at my home on the 30th of Dec. It took about a month from the time I reported my problem (November 19th) till they offered me this deal.

Username: Mjrey

Post Number: 8
Thanks Jean, I'll try one more time tomorrow but I don't hold out much hope. Sadly I really feel Sony is perfectly willing to write off a long time loyal customer just to save a few bucks in the very short term. I've been looking at new TVs and almost brought home a Vizio from Costco last night but we're in the middle of a major project repainting and putting down wood flooring. I've got no place to put another TV right now or that Vizio would be sitting in my family room right now. At the stores (Costco, Best Buy, and Sears) looking at the new electronic goodies I was actually sad that even though Sony had some neat stuff I knew I would never again buy anything, however small, with that name on it again. Maybe they'll surprise me and restore my faith in the company but I really don't hold out any more hope at this point. The last offer they made me was for roughly $1800 total and I can now get the 55" Vizio for $1700 total.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Ok, after having the KDL-52W4100 for about a week I have some additional observations:
(I apologize in advance if this is not completely on topic, but several folks here now own this TV.)

- I think the SD top of the screen "flicker" issue is definitely based on the source material but also in that I have the TV set to "full pixel" display. So it's basically the garbage in, garbage out principle. (I should also point out that SD picture quality on this set varies quite a bit from channel to channel.)

- While the "Motion Enhancer" feature is surreal in the "High" setting for appropriate content, however, it is not good at all for fast moving or complex scenes and introduces not-so-subtle artifacts. In those cases, I set it to "Standard". It's a shame really, because this effect in "High" is so clear and stunning it makes the display appear to be 3D. But thankfully, the 120Hz processing and Bravia engine smooth out blurring and jitter just fine on both "Standard" mode and "Off". I look for this feature to improve over time and gain popularity.

- I calibrated the TV using my Digital Video Essentials disc and hardly had to adjust a thing for brightness or hue. One thing I did find helpful was disabling the auto-adjusting to ambient light feature. I prefer to have the screen as bright as I want it whenever I want it and there are plenty of choices to choose from between Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Theatre and your own Custom settings. This is a very subjective matter too. (By the way: Folks comparing these TVs in the stores may want to get the remotes and play with these settings to truly get a feel for what these TVs are capable of.)

Overall I am thrilled with our purchase and, most of all, having this issue behind us. I now look forward to watching TV, movies and sports as I used to. "Family movie night" is once again a weekly occurrence in our household.

Once again, I wish all of you luck and peace of mind in however you are choosing to deal with this issue.

Take care,
- Doug

Post Number: 9
Doug,

I called Debbie today. NO JOY, they knocked another whole $30 off of their offer. So a 52W4100 would have been $1643 + tax or $1778. I can get a Samsung LN52A650 for $1846 or a Vizio VF550XVT for $1695. Both of these are at least as good as the sony and the Vizio from Costco would have 3 year warranty.

Jean, you must be really lucky because you're one of the very very few 50A10 owners to get a reasonable offer.

I'm going to write a letter to the sony corporate headquarters (Japan and North America) expressing my disappointment with the deterioration of sony quality and customer service. Like I've said before sony clearly doesn't care about individual customers very much. A large business like theirs can afford to do that for a while but eventually the result is a dimished public perception of quality. Eventually this can seriously affect them and it also gives an opening for a savvy new company to come in and take market share from them. Just look at the US auto companies. I bet if someone like Vizio started going with a standard 2 or 3 year warranty instead of the industry standard 1 year they would see a rapid increase in sales. The cost would be minimal and improve the perception of quality.

One last question, I found a website about a possible class action lawsuit and was wondering if it was legitimate.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/sony_rear_projection_lcd_tv.html

I figure I've got nothing to lose by signing up but don't want to waste my time on a scam.

I wish you all the best with your sony products but it looks like I'm done. I can't wait until the next purchase request for computer equipment at work comes through with sony equipment specified. Two years ago I approved the purchase of 3 Vaio notebooks for my office. Next time I'll switch them to Dell or HP. When that happens I'll savor the moment. Of course sony will never know but it will help me get over being stuck with a lemon on the biggest electronics purchase I ever made.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I really don't understand why there is such a difference in the offers that Sony is presenting. Perhaps it's the date of purchase on the original, or the manufacturing date of the set, but holy cow!! I thought I was getting duped when I couldn't get the $843.00 offer that some were getting. I put it down to canada/us exchange. At any rate, clearly, some of you are getting no satisfaction and I wish you well in your pursuit. Perhaps, class action IS the way to go.

Bronze Member

Hey Mark, thanx for that link. I signed up as well. Lets hope it is legit.

Username: Esv211

I had a Sony kf-50we655 and had the blue dots on the screen, and Sony Special Consideration Program got me a kdl-52w4100 for $903 total including tax. I had another issue with another Sony TV but there was no program to replace. Does anyone know if Sony is currently doing this program for any models in 2009?

Post Number: 10
Well I signed up for the class action review. I'll see what happens but I think if I can get the house painting done tomorrow I'll head over to Costco and get me a 55" Vizio.

Jean, I can't remember but I thought from an earlier post that you were in Canada. If so that may have been why you got some reasonable treatment. I found this on sonys website.
Important notice for owners of a model KDLV26/32/40XBR1 LCD TV (BRAVIA) Flat Panel or KDFE42/50A10 (Grand WEGA) Rear Projection LCD TV.
Posted: 02/09/2006

Click here for information for Sony Canada customers

I tried the link but it says the document is no longer available. I wonder if there was some kind of special program for Canadian customers?? }

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Mark, Yes I am from Canada and my dealings were with Sonystyle.ca, however I don't believe that means anything necessarily. I didn't see that post by Sony either and oddly enough, during my discussions with them, they didn't ever mention that there were bulletins about the 50A10, in fact I was told specifically that there weren't... hmmm??

Username: Awatt

Bristow, VA USA

Hey all just joined and found the site the other day via google. have the KDF42WE655 purchased in 11/04. Blue blob started appearing last week. Replaced the bulb and have the blue haze growing on my screen.

What's the total process to even get to the point of the offer from Sony. This is not stating I would accept just wondering. Either way I'll be out and additional amount of funds. Payed $2200 just 3.5 years ago.

Paducah, KY

Post Number: 3
I'm still hoping someone has some insight into my red tinting and if, or how that relates to the optical block.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
It probably does Jim. There have been reports of green tinting, blue blotching, and yellow tinting. Its all based on the optical block assembly being too close to the lamp and causing the colors to have a burn in issue on the lenses(im pretty sure).

Paducah, KY

Post Number: 4
Thanks, Wayne, for the input. I'd just never seen a situation like mine mentioned in all the forums and was look for a little affirmation. I'm in the middle of the huge ice storm that has shut down KY and am fortunate to have power occasionally so I can check the forum. I'm about to become a TV repairman.

Username: Ishscyn

Well this is all quite depressing. We have a KDF-70XBR950 that we bought at Circuit City in December of 2005 for over $ 7K. The optic block failed in December of 2008. I've been told by reps that the repairs wouldn't be covered (out of extended warranty), would be covered if verified by authorized techinician (which it was), then wouldn't be covered (when tech called them...reference number and all), then I was advised to write to the executive board, which we did, then today received a phone call offering only a discount toward the purchase of another television set. What a drag!

If we replace the optic block is the lamp door going to eventually warp and damage other parts of the television set (probably in April 09, right after the current warranty extension date)?

Help!

Thanks!

Cynthia

Username: Psyclone

Cedar Rapids, IA United States

I had come across this site before, but just registered today. My Sony KF60E610 has the blue blob problem and is getting worse by the week. I had the misfortune to discover the problem 1-1/2 months after the extended warranty ran out. They could do nothing for me. Had I noticed it just a couple of months earlier, the design flaw would have been taken care of for free.

I went through the process of calling support, then sending a letter to the Executive Review Committee and got what amounted to an offer for 20% off on a replacement TV. Unfortunately, 60" TVs are hard to come by and even with a discount, the 55" or 70" models are way to pricey, considering there is not guarantee they will last any longer than the last model.

So I did not accept their offer. I like top-of-line models, but the situation has left me with two new rules to live by:

1 Don't pay very much for my next TV.
2 Don't buy Sony.

I am currently looking at the large Samsung and also am intrigued by the new Sharp models. But even for those vendors, the price will need to come down substantially before I jump. And for my secondary TVs that are smaller, I'll probably opt for cheap over top-of-the-line.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in my experience with this Sony product. And it's not the first time a Sony product has had a short life for me.

Username: Thec13

Count me in on the blue-ish/purple-ish blob on a 2-year old Sony KDF-E50A10. Contacted Sony today and eagerly awaiting their response.

I had come across this site before, but just registered today. My Sony KF60WE610 has the blue blob problem and is getting worse by the week. I had the misfortune to discover the problem 1-1/2 months after the extended warranty ran out. They could do nothing for me. Had I noticed it just a couple of months earlier, the design flaw would have been taken care of for free.

I went through the process of calling support, then sending a letter to the Executive Review Committee and got what amounted to an offer for 20% off on a replacement TV. Unfortunately, 60" TVs are hard to come by and even with a discount, the 55" or 70" models are way to pricey, considering there is not guarantee they will last any longer than the last model.

So I did not accept their offer. I like top-of-line models, but the situation has left me with two new rules to live by:

1 Don't pay very much for my next TV.
2 Don't buy Sony.

I am currently looking at the large Samsung and also am intrigued by the new Sharp models. But even for those vendors, the price will need to come down substantially before I jump. And for my secondary TVs that are smaller, I'll probably opt for cheap over top-of-the-line.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in my experience with this Sony product. And it's not the first time a Sony product has had a short life for me.

Bronze Member
Username: Getsony

Just wanted to give an update on my experience. I had the KDF42A10 and actually had the less common B-Board problem where I had diagonal multicolored lines running across the entire screen.

After going through the same process that everyone else did, I ended up being offered the KDL-42V4100 for $525, which included both tax and shipping. This tv sells in the store for around $1,100 so to be honest I'm actually pretty satisfied.

Maybe it's because my initial investment was $1,700 instead of $4k or $5k that I feel that my discount is fair, but when you consider depreciation and all I'm probably about even.

In any event, I know some are dissatisfied but I'd say I am pretty happy that Sony stepped up. TV is being delivered tomorrow, I'll let you know how that goes.

Username: Awatt

Bristow, VA USA

Ok so I've started the process with Sony today. Told me to take it to an authorized serivce center in my area.

Here we go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Eric,

I think that is pretty much what it comes down to in a nut shell -- what one paid out for the initial TV and how long ago it was.

Let me know how you like the 42V. I was considering that too as my original TV was 42" and to save some cash, but I am glad we opted for the 52W model. So far, everyone who has come over has commented on what a great picture it has and we are thrilled with it.

BTW, the best I have seen the 42V go for is $999 a month ago at Best Buy, but the sale was only three days.

Mark,

Sorry Sony wouldn't work with you. :-(

How did your Vizio shopping go? Did you get a set, and if so, how do you like it so far?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I don't know why anyone would knowingly opt for any tv other than the W series or the 120hz. There is SUCH a noticeable difference in the tv display, particularly if you're a sports watcher. I would highly recommend that you all opt for the latest technology. It's a huge improvement and who wants to be left behind? Just watch the flyers...most of the sale tv's are 60 hz models.

Bronze Member
Username: Getsony

Doug,

I gotta agree that I think the picture is great too, I'm happy with the tv. As for the latest technology, I actually don't think it's hugely noticeable at all. Considering the fact that these latest technology tvs will be obsolete in 2 years anyway does not make me want to spend top dollar when I can get an affordable tv that has a great picture.

It all needs to be taken with perspective, in reality the picture on this tv is WAY better than what I've had on other tvs, and considering i only had to shell out $500 to make it happen made it a no-brainer for me. I just watched a blu-ray movie on it last night and I was just blown away with how crisp of a picture it is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Jean & Eric,

The only thing I have to compare the new TV to is 720 and 768p TVs. I think we tend to get used to what we are watching being an upgrade over what we were watching previously as it blows away our existing frame of reference. But it seems we only notice the advantages after we go back to what we were watching before. In short, our eyes habituate to the new display and it becomes the new "normal" and the initial difference eventually becomes lost. This is proven over and over as people come to visit and see the TV for the first time and immediately notice the difference.

For instance, when I first got my 42" Sony Rear Projection HDTV in January '04, the difference over SD was utterly shocking. And when I would go look at my old 27" Hitachi tube it would make this difference even more clear.

I used to think that an upconverted DVD on the older HDTVs was good enough and the improvement to the newest technology wasn't enough to justify the cost of an upgrade. And in truth, upconverted DVDs and HD content on a 720/768p TV does look pretty good. I probably would not have made the switch if my original (now defective) TV hadn't had the problems we all have faced and if Sony hadn't offered to knock the price down substantially.

Now that I have been watching the 1080p 120Hz HDTV for a while I do notice that it blows the others I own out of the water. Recently I went back to watch my Samsung LN37A450, which is a 768p TV (10,000:1 CR) I bought last Summer for $799 at Best Buy, in our bedroom. This is a picture I thought was fantastic only weeks ago. Suddenly, I noticed a LOT of motion blur and "boxy" artifacts around moving players during a Celtics game. I started to fiddle with the settings, thinking the adjustment was off, but nothing I did improved the picture. What I began to realize is I had gotten used to seeing this action without the blur and artifacts for the first time on the 52W. But before getting the 52W, I didn't even notice it.

That being said, I think the 42V is pretty much the same TV without the 120Hz processing. It still has the advanced engine and all the other goodies that help smooth out motion. I have to admit that when I compared the 52V and 52W I didn't see a noticeable difference, but since the offer Sony was making was only about $150 between the two I opted for the 120Hz in the 52W, mainly to get the advantage of alleviating the need for 2:3 pulldown in some cases. Having said that, I have seen even 42S TVs in stores that look great to me.

Username: Michelleandluke

I have the same problem with model KDFE50A10... Sony gave me the same garbage. They claimed to not have any issues of the "blue blob" reported for my model number, but judging by the forums online - it is a well known issue. If anyone hears of a way to get Sony to cover the costs - please let me know.

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 25
For newbies getting the brush off, yes, some of us have gotten our tvs fixed by Sony for free. Many of us want to own another Sony anything. Some posts have been archived, but if you read the whole thread starting with my Dec 26 post, that should be enough research to get you in the mind set to change the status quo of dealing with Sony. Do your research is all I can say.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I meant to say, "many of us DON'T want to own another Sony anything."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Michelle, I think you really need to decide whether you want to stay with SONY. My experience was not a negative one per se, (outside of the initial "blue blob" problem). Not sure what else you were told by SONY, but in most situations, they are offering either a replacement TV at a reduced cost, or they will fix your set. I would advise against fixing it, as I'm sure this problem will re-occur. I believe you get a lot more flies with honey and taking the aggressive negative approach does not seem to work with them. Decide what you want, and deal with them reasonably and see how you make out. I think it's worth a try. Going in with both guns ablazing does NOT work!

I would be interested to know if anyone has gotten Sony to pay for their out-of-extended-warranty repair RECENTLY. I've tried and tried, sweetly and respectfully via telephone and letter to the executive board, but the answer is "No" to covering the cost of repair of the optic block on our KDF-70XBR950. I even asked if they would just supply the part since the original optic block was made with plastic rather than glass, but the answer was still "No." We paid over $7000 for our televsion at the end of 2005. Sony customer relations is unmoved by our story.

I talked with the serviceman and he said the televsion will work wonderfully with the new/better optic block. I didn't want to spend another thousand dollars on something that wasn't worth fixing. We'll see.

I'm still sending a letter to the CEO, but I am not optimistic.

According to customer relations, even if I had heard of the optic block issue prior to the end of the extended warranty, I would not have been able to get the part replaced by Sony. It had to have failed prior to the end of the warranty, even though the part is defective and failure is inevitable. This is bad business. I'm sure there will be another class action lawsuit and Sony is probably waiting for it. There is definitely more activity and information swirling around out on the web now than there was in December. People that got to Sony earlier may have had a better shot at getting them to pay for repair.

Username: J_crane

Post Number: 5
Finally recieved my replacement tv from sony.Not bad seeing the initial call was November 24.Anyway its a nice tv for $500.00,but i'd still have to think long and hard about buying a sony product for full price ever again.Still nice to have this whole thing over with.Now i even have a nice 42 inch for playing games on even though it has a little blue which has actually gone from being all over my entire screen to just a little blue along one side.I thought from stories here that it would get worse,but my old set with the blue is actually getting better.Never had to send in any serial numbers or anything either,like some people have reported.One other thing for anyone else trying to get thier set replaced is that i did get my original offer lowered just being a little persistant.Anyway good luck to everyone else with these faulty tvs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
On Dec 30, my past warranty, past recall, 4 1/2 year old $5000 Sony KDF60XBR950 was repaired and paid for by Sony. For others that want their set repaired, I agree that is the best course of action. Here is a quote from my post of Dec 26, where I suggest any newbies start with their research, "... more money in Sony's pocket and a giant 60" brick in my living rm or out by my garbage can? No thanks. And I wouldn't pass off a tv with a fast growing blob on it to relatives, friends, or even my cleaning lady. I want my set repaired and believe I deserve a big, fat extended warranty to go with it." I am working on the warranty, or receiving a monetary equal amt, right now.

Along with this, here is a quote from my Dec 31 post, "Some on this Board have been nice, some not so nice, but I found the best way to get thru to Sony was without letters (never wrote them), without begging phone calls (I refused to talk to them anymore after two unproductive calls, and the last 2 times they called me and I got off the line asap), and not being greedy for a new upgraded tv (like those axed out of the class action).

I just kept in mind that they had sold me a defective tv which is against a few consumer protection laws, and they needed to make things right. And, as for them trying to make me pay for a replacement OB myself. Oh doggy! Read the class action on them trying that before. Way against the law to make money replacing a product you know is defective. That is why I stopped talking to them, because they got so evasive, lying and dodgeful when I put such things to them on the phone. I finally just told my Sony tv repairman what I wanted and he talked to their tech people. Reasonable, technically knowledgeable, factual people you and I would never get a chance to talk to."

For those that do feel inclined to write letters, please cc the FTC. The more letters that are copied to them, the bigger Sony's file will get. The rest is a quote from my Jan 7, 2009 post -

Also, forget the BBB. They are just a private membership org that nobody cares about consulting anymore. Better to cc the Federal Trade Commission on all your correspondence. Here is a quote from their site - "Your complaint, comment, or inquiry may help us spot a pattern of law violations requiring law enforcement action. It also may help us recognize and tell people about bigger trends affecting consumers. We do not resolve individual consumer disputes."

website for more info - http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm

Mail to address -
Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580

Mjray has expressed my sentiments exactly about avoiding Sony products in the future. I was very respectful through the process, but very disappointed with the final offer. I am in the market for upgrading TVs in three other rooms in the near future as well as upgrading my main big screen TV, and they could have easily made back their money with a decent offer. I'm an electrical engineer that many seek buying advice from on electronics. I already have been steering them away from Sony when I tell them my story. I believe many others are doing the same. I don't have the time or energy to deal with inadequate offers from Sony on this any longer. I consider the experience to be a hard lesson learned.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I thought the time that Sony had extended the warranty on the lamp access door had passed, but there is still time for some (see below). After being brushed off, this is how I got Sony to set me up with a tv repairman (tech person). After the repairman confirmed I had a bit of warping (very little compared to some), I stood firm on wanting my set repaired each time a person from Sony called and tried to get me to buy a new set from them. Then I had the tv repairman talk to their tech person who arranged for me to get the OB fixed as well, all at Sony's expense.

Here is the link - http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KDF42WE655&news_id=261

The extended warranty affects the following models --

2003 Models: KF42WE610, KF50WE610, KF60WE610, KDF60XBR950, KDF70XBR950
2004 Models: KF42WE620, KF50WE620, KDF42WE655, KDF50WE655

Sony doesn't alert you to this recall when you call on the OB, so for those that don't know about the lamp door access, this will eventually happen to your set, because it involves a couple other defective parts. The lamp door and the cage housing that contains the lamp. Here is the deal -- Sony doesn't make a part to replace the lamp cage housing, so they have to replace the set if you have a housing that is that warped and bad. It is on the customer to get what he thinks he deserves. Legally, a full refund is not unreasonable.

If your lamp door being a little warped is the only problem, they do have a part to replace that and your set can be repaired. To get the OB fixed at the same time, you have to be firm on knowing that Sony is breaking the law (see the Class Action regarding unjust enrichment) if they try to make you pay to replace the defective Optical Block, so you may insist they add that repair onto the service call when they replace the lamp door.

My blood pressure went up everytime I talked to Sony's cust svc, so this is when I enlisted the help of my Sony repairman to talk to their tech people. It worked out for me to leave the cust svc people out of it. Those cust svc, negotiation specialists, or whatever they are called, seemed to just be interested in getting me to buy a new tv from them. Know that those who were axed out of the past Class Action Lawsuit were those that upgraded to a new tv because it was determined that they were more interested in getting new technology than replacing their defective tvs.

From my post on Dec 9, 2008, "For those that are wondering, here are our symptoms on the warped access door. Every now and then ... the tv won't turn on, just blinks green and red lights, and we have to remove the access door and go thru the steps to reset it and get the thing to turn on again. (The tv thinks it needs to be reset because someone has opened the access door, except no one has.) It doesn't always turn on the first time ...."

From my post on Dec 11, 2008, "For those that want to know what may happen when they call regarding the lamp access door, when I called I quoted their site and told them my set was exhibiting "this specific condition." The guy on the phone made me go thru questions and everything for quite some time and then set up an appt with a tech person to come over to my house and make sure the lamp door was warped." I asked for and got the phone number of the repairman and called him, instead of waiting for him to call me, and set the time for the appt the next day. I also got the service repair, or whatever its called, number to have it for myself and to make sure the repair guy got it so there was no delay.

Username: Chrisscass

For the folks in Canada, did you have the blue screen problem? I have this problem and was not offered any "deal" on a new tv. They said since there was a service bulletin, that was the only approved process to address my problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Chris - I'm from Canada and I did have the blue screen problem. When I first called SONY, they said there were no bulletins on my tv KDFE50A10. I did end up with a new TV, so perhaps that's why. I wish you good luck. I think there have been SO many people calling with faulty tv's that they're pulling back they're offers. I'm sure there will be a class action happening very soon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Cynthia, I was also going to send a letter to the CEO but don't have an address. Did you find a good place to send a letter. It probably won't do any good but I'll feel better.

Today sony lost more potential profit. I picked up a 42" Vizio at Costco to replace my old 27" Sony in our Living Room. We'll still use the E50A10 in the family room for now as I'm waiting for some of the new 55" LCD models to come out from Samsung and Vizio. So far this year I've spent well over $2,000 on a digital SLR (Nikon) and this new LCD TV. In the past these purchases would have been sony products. By the time this year is over sony will have lost much more in sales they could have made to me than what they "saved" by not offering me the same replacement deal others here received. Very shortsighted and downright stupid from a business perspective.

Thanks Jean Mac.

I actually submitted my request in the first week of Dec 2008. I was away for the holidays but they did change my Optical Block in mid Jan 2009.

The customer service guy at Sony initially didn't think that my tv had a service bulletin on it (I have the 55" version) and I had to tell him exactly what Sony website had the bulletin. I spelled it out for him on the phone and he said "oh yeah, ok".

So, I got the tv fixed because I figured it is better than nothing. I probably 52w4100 for $975 if they offered it to me. Darnit.

edit:

* I probably would have taken the 52w4100

Username: Ldenson

Another 50A10 optical block sufferer checking in. First noticed the blue blob in late December. Called Sony customer service last week, got the runaround for an hour until they gave me the super secret executive review committee address. Wrote the letter today and will be mailing it tomorrow.

Mark, Here is the address I found for him posted somewhere. Like you say, it may be useless, but maybe if they get letters constantly complaining about this they'll rethink.

Sir Howard Stringer
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Sony Corporation
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

I'm also cc'ing to the FTC as Lisa suggested. (Great info, Lisa!)

Our service person is coming, today, to replace our optical block. I told my husband to grill him a little more about whether, like Lisa said, HE can talk to the technical people at Sony and possibly get the repair covered.

I'd be happy if Sony just paid for the stupid defective part! The service guy told me the reason the class action lawsuit happened with those few models was they were Sony's most popular models. When the optical block started failing Sony was simply replacing them with the same part. People were then having the part fail AGAIN! Theeeen Sony realized they'd made the optical block with plastic mirrors (rather than glass mirrors)which were then warping due to heat.

I'm not finished with them. I'll report any developments.

-Cynthia

Username: Crackt

Post Number: 10
wow. i love this thread. problem after problem. i have to say im happy for now. sony fixed my 07 model kdf50e200a on the bulletin for 06 sets. but i must say it was quite a struggle. 20 phone calls and 10 emails later i drove 400km's one way to the most convinient sony authorised depot. there was one 400 kms round trip but the further one was awesome in arranging a v.i.p repair for me. props to the guys at hitek in saskatoon. picture is back to wonderful. good luck to everyone else with problems. you can thank the us recession for the crappy offers. i got warranty til june 2010 and thats awesome. to everyone with the good offers.... how many failures til sony caughed up. i figure another 2 in 15 months and ill be in good position to grab a new set if the economy recovers in time. haha.

Username: Epotts26

I have a KDF50WE655 and am experiencing the 'blue' spot issues since December. I assumed it was my lamp, but when nothing happended after I changed it in January, I contacted Sony and they were horrible to deal with. I participated in their "dog and pony show" to only be denied of any free repair, they pretty much said too bad.

Waiting to hear from them on their offer but I am assuming $150 of another cheap sony product. Any news on a class action? There should be an open ended repair option for this optical block.

Username: Marcos_p

Ca Usa

I too have the blue blob on my screen. i purchased my KDF50WE655 in august of 2005 and shortly after changing my lamp last march noticed the color change. i called local repair stores to price out a repair because my original warranty was up through sony but with the costly fix I opted to live with the at first slight inconvenience. as the blob grew i decided to look into either purchasing a new tv or forking out the $1000 for repair only to find out yesterday that this was a common problem that sony was aware of. i got through to sony only to be told sorry our extended warranty is up. there is nothing we could do for you. i demanded to speak with somone else who then in turn told me as well that there is nothing they can do. i should have called 2 months ago. i still didnt accept this and then got transferred to the new disscounted replacement tv stage. im now waiting for their offer. sounds like they arent too consistent on their offers.
what i dont get is why sony never called or sent a letter to me stating they had a recall. when i called in yesterday i gave them my name and phone number and without any other information being exchange they knew where i had bought the tv and the exact date that i had bought it. they have the information to inform the consumers but chose not too.
has anyone attempted to get repairs or a new tv this late in the process? all i want is for them to pay for the repairs on my tv and a warranty on similar deffects. they are going to lose another long time sony consumer.

Username: Dave_in_tn

I've had the KDFe50a10 for 3 years and today it started turning on and off continuously. I contacted Sony and they provided me with the number of a authorized tech for repair which I will have to pay for since it is out of warranty. After reviewing this board, I am scared to repair anything as this may be the first of my problems.

Based on this board, I contacted customer service again and requested to speak with someone else, like the ERB, but they would only tell me the phone numbers of the local authorized repair companies. How do I get in contact with the ERB board or the people who can offer me a discount? Although the discounts dont appear to be much of a discount, I thought I would try.

I to have several Sony products: 3 TVs, 2 camcorders and camera. Never thought I would have to worry about Sony products.

I will send a letter to Sony and cc the FTC as the more letters may help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
David, When the tv turns on and off, it means that you need to replace the bulb. I went through the same thing and SONY was no help at all with the diagnosis. My tech guy told me to change the bulb and it fixed the problem. Trouble is, the optical block problem surfaced, about 3 months later. Try the bulb replacement...

How can I tell how many hours are on my TV?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I'm not sure. We had our 50A10 for just over two years before we had to replace the bulb. It was cycling on and off just like yours. The tech guy that we dealt with said that in his opinion, it should have lasted longer, but also said that the original estimation of lifetime on the bulbs, was overrated. I'm willing to bet you that if you replace the bulb, your problem would disappear.

Thanks Jean, I am proobably going to replace the bulb and take a chance that nothing else goes wrong. Hate to spend the $200 with what seems to be a good chance that another more expensive problem is just around the corner.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
You may not need a svc call. My hub replaced our lamp no problem. On ours we didn't even have to move the tv. The lamp access door is on the front. And by the way, that was why our tv was turning off by itself. Our lamp access door was warped (another Sony defective part). Probably different from your problem as it just turned off, not on again. Plus, you may not even have an access door on your tv. Anyway, he said all you need to do it yourself is Allen wrenches. Hope I got that right, don't know much about tools.

Also, if you want to know your lamp hours, here is a link to a site that has a ton of info on the Sony optical problems and explains how to get the lamp hours yourself -

http://splinke.googlepages.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Trinh

Post Number: 12
For Sony KDF-E50A10, you can tell how many hours the lamp was used.

Follow these steps using the TV remote.

1) In Standby mode, press "Display", then "5" then "volume +" then "power on".

2) Press JUMP 2 times. This will bring you into service screen.
3) To see Lamp time, press "4"
4) To exit, press "Power on" to turn off the set.

Username: Wasabigsonyfan

I also have the 42 inch with the warped door. I started early Jan with Sony and the phone calls. Repairman came out finally after 3-4 days and yup door is fried and warped. Sony offered me to buy a new tv with discounted price. Think it was the $880 deal, wouldnt matter I dont have any $ like that now to put down as I just paid $ 2500 for this not even 4 years ago. After many phone calls they offered me a free refurbished sony kdl42v4100. I was stuck and didnt have much choice so took this offer. I am wondering if a new lamp was to be put in that kdf42we655 if it would work. The repairman said not only was the lamp access door warped but inside where the lamp sits also. Kinda curious if it should go in the trash or give it to someone that has $1-2 hundred to see if a new lamp would make it work again. Any ideas? Thanks p.s. still waiting on my TV to be shipped--waiting and waiting

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Lelia - If your lamp cage housing is shot, which it sounds like it is, you can't get a new lamp in there. The lamp isn't just a bulb, it is more than that and it has to slide in that lamp cage housing. If it is warped (another Sony defect), you can't slide in a new lamp. And Sony doesn't make the cage housing part to repair your tv. Yes, it is junk and Sony did owe you a new tv.

We have laws that prevent them from selling you something they know to be defective and then try to make money off you replacing it, like the tv, and also which prevent you from using and maintaining the tv in a reasonable manner. Since you can't replace the lamp, there it is. You probably could have got alot more if you had a business lawyer in the family and had them talk to Sony's legal dept, but you did get a free tv which is huge compared to what others are getting, even refurbished. If you didn't get an extended warranty on it, I would ask for that as well. You are certainly within your rights as a consumer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I thought this was pretty funny and appropriate for us sony haters
http://www.break.com/tv-shows/onion-news-network/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece- of-st-that-doesnt-fking-work-666430.html

Username: Burn_out

Scottsdale, AZ United States

Lelia - If your lamp cage housing is damaged it was caused by excessive heat caused by a clogged fan.
The Lamp has a over temperature circuit that is not working correctly. The temperature will keep rising as the fan gets more clogged.
The excessive temperature will cause damage to TV case and High Voltage wires.
The over temperature is a safety issue.
My set had a warped door and after 5 years it started to smell like burning plastic.
Adam
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Lelia,

It really depends on the condition of your lamp housing at the base of your TV. I would take the front panel off and see if the old lamp and housing until comes out cleanly. If so, there's a good chance a new one would resolve your issue, as it did for our KF42WE610. I purchased a lamp and housing unit from OneCall:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=21866

If you are thinking of going this route, I would buy this asap as this product was $20 cheaper when I purchased in a couple months ago. Aftermarket lamps or ones that come without the housing unit are not recommended by most.

I'm planning to give this TV to my parents when they switch over to HD in a few months.

Good luck!

Username: Allgamesradio

Ok time to add my update on the 60" version of the GW3
The purple finger prints started in 2007 and the blue haze appeared in December of 08. We bought the tv directly from Sony in 2004. The set was backordered for months and arrived in the fall.
When i called sony service they had me pay for a technician to confirm the problem.
Then they said they couldn't do anything about it because the extended warrenty was up in June.
I wrote to the Executive Review Committee and Howard Stringer (thanks splinke)
I got a call a few days later from a guy who told me things like,
parts are scarce, and no guarantee that replacing it will not cause it to fail again. I told him to just cover the cost of the optical block and I'll at least have a shot at getting the tv back to normal.
He said it was past the date and that they are not able to assist me with this repair.
I got very upset and decided to file a small claim case against them here in Los Angeles.
I went and filed yesterday and got a date of March 27th.
It cost 40 dollars, 30 for the filing fee and 10 to have their authorized agent served with papers.
Apparently they are not allowed to use a lawyer, but must send someone to represent them on the day of the case.
If they don't show up i win the case automatically.
I will be preparing myself and getting all the data I can to show the judge that consumers should expect a 3500 dollar television to last longer than 4 years. In fact most last 10+
I'll keep you updated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
agn - With regards to replacing the OB, I find it telling that Sony, when you called, acknowledged that "no guarantee that replacing it will not cause it to fail again." You should do well in Court. You are right, they probably will not send a rep. It would not be cost effective.

May I ask what you are asking for in Court? A full refund or the monetary equivalent of having to replace the OB every two years for the next, say, 10 yrs?

It would seem 2 yrs is the avg amt of time the replacement OBs last, per the posts of those on this thread and other websites (see http://splinke.googlepages.com/) and that is about the length of the extended limited warranty in the Class Action lawsuit (see Opinion and Order at esupport.sony.com/sxrdsettlement). Even, while the lawyers in that case thought the replacement OBs would work fine (we know better now), Sony was still giving an extended warranty on those they replaced. In a sense, another acknowledgement.

I know you will most likely win automatically, but in case you are printing out select posts from this and other forum sites, and also want to print out the websites above, know that they are 23 pgs and 31 pgs, respectively. Alot of printing and copying time and costs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
agn - Also, would you let us know the name and address you used for service? Thanks, Lisa

Interesting about the admission of 2 years with the new OB. I asked for 1300 which was to cover the parts and labor on the OB and the filing fee for the claim.
I am going to add another 800 for the cost of the light engine. I may have a hard time collecting a full refund as the TV is over 4 years, half the cost would be 1600.

The Sony service in CA is a place in Sacramento. You can type any corporation in the CA State website.
The address is 2730 Gateway Oaks Dr. Sacramento CA 95833

I have to look into amending my claim for more to cover the additional costs as mentioned above. Thanks for the specific post #

Ca Usa

i just spoke with sonys we'll give you a discount tv cause our tvs break department. no discount at all. they offered me the kdl52w4100 for 1999.00 plus tax, but theyre willing to waive the shipping. i told them they made my decision easy. ill never buy sony again. any word on a class action with tv models kdf50we655?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Other than the free refurbished 42V, has anyone gotten a decent offer lately?

The disparity in these offers never ceases to amaze me. To be sure, I would be absolutely livid with Sony if they had refused to haggle with me.

Ca Usa

before i called to see what they would offer me i read all the other offers on this site. when i mentioned the $843 or the $1307 offers for the kdl52w4100. they told me they could no longer offer that price. now its $1999. needless to say i just purchased the samsung ln52a650 as i could no longer stand the blue spots. im selling off the rest of my sony products as well. anyone have any thoughts on the samsung ln52a650 as i am waiting for it to arrive

Username: Yankees251

@marcos p: We doing the same thing at the same time with the same TV.

After reading posts here I called this week after my KDF-50WE655 started to exhibit the issues discussed here. I was extremely pissed that as a registered owner of the TV I was never notified by Sony about the defect and the deadline. I called twice and wrote a letter, I'm not holding out hope for much of anything but I will never purchase nor recommend a Sony product again.

Ca

john bragoli- i had the same question as to why i was never notified of any possible defects or warranty extensions. when i called in last week i told them my name and phone number then they were able to tell me the serial number of my tv and when and where i bought it. they have all our info. they just dont want to have to pay repair costs to everyone of their piece of crap televisions. in the long run this is going to hurt sony cause all my tvs and surround sounds were sony, but i will never buy sony again as is the case with many people im sure

I wish all of you would file the small claim papers. If sony got hit with hundreds of small claims cases they HAVE to respond to each one which might trigger some kind of extension.
It literally took me a half hour and 40 dollars to file and serve the Sony Corp. authorized agent in CA.
The people that paid 7000 for a TV in 2005 and get nothing from Sony now makes me sick. I'm done taking this crap from SONY.

Ca

AGN-did you just go down to your county court to file n besides the $40 did you have to give any documentation backing your claims?

Ca

Post Number: 6
Agn-also wondering if when you file if you have to have an address of where to serve them n if that sac address is it cause i live close to there?

Ca

Post Number: 7
anyone still out there

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
FUNNY...I was wondering the same thing!!

My update -

Sent a letter to both the Sony Executive Committee and Howard Stringer regarding the optical block on my 50A10. According to Delivery Confirmation, they received it on the 24th. No contact from them yet (despite the phone representative saying I would hear from them within two days).

In exploring other options, I found out that Robert Lax (the lawyer who filed the class action suit re: the SXRD line) is working on a similar suit for A10 and A20 owners - nothing official yet though.

Also, I contacted Tri-State Module about purchasing a rebuilt optical block. They said they didn't have any in stock, but could repair mine for $330 or so - but I would need to do the removal and re-installation.

So unless Sony calls and offers a hell of a deal, I'm probably going to buy a new LCD or Plasma (Not from Sony, of course) this weekend.

From there I'll see how the class action suit works out, or get my optical block rebuilt, then sell the A10 on Craigslist.

Ca

Post Number: 8
i purchased a samsung ln52a650 and hooked it up yesterday. best tv i've ever had. cost 1899 on amazon.com. well worth it

Sony received my letter, I received a call on Wednesday at my home during the day, I will call them on Monday and report back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Ive been rendered complacent due to my purchase of the LNA850. It looks so incredible that I havent even given my garbage arsed A10 a second thought. It is facing the wall in my bedroom right now. Sometimes I trip over it on my late night runs to the potty.

And as always,

I
HATE
SONY!!!

Username: Seancusick

I wanted to add my story for any law firms out there thinking of opening a class action suit.
I have a 55WF655 and Sony refuses to repair the optical block, even though they have stated that it is defective.

Started having the blue blob issue 3 weeks after their extended replacment for the optical block expired. Was denied by customer service. I sent certified letters to the executive board, and their ceo.
Received a call about 5 days later and was asked to call.
I just called Sony back. They told me that, and these were his words, I swear: "Sony is choosing to no longer offer to replace that defective part. While we acknowledged that this is a defect, we would like to make you an offer to get you out of that model altogether." I asked him if this was going to be the same discounts (listed here) that they have offered others. He would not discuss the "deal." I asked him to record on my account that I would be filling a complaint with the BBB. He told me, and I quote, "you can do that, and others have, but it will just come back to me." I was polite the entire call, and was really taken aback by his utter arrogance.

I asked for just the defective part and I would replace it myself. Again, I was told that Sony was no longer offering to fix it. I reminded him that I missed this by 3 weeks, and that Sony should do the right thing in offering a repair.

I would be interested in any others now (or in the future reading this) who would like to band together and file a class action lawsuit.

Needless to say, eventually Sony will have to deal legally with this issue. A 2,800 tv should not fail within 4 years. They know they have a defective part, and need to do the right thing and own up and fix the problem. The 4 year mark seems when most optical blocks start to fail. I would be willing to bet that this will happen eventually to all models. When that does, and they continue to choose not to replace the defect, people will continue to put pressure on them. I encourage everyone to file a report with the BBB, and also document in detail you dealings. The fact that this is their "top tier response" is very disappointing. Many people ask my opinions on tech products. I can say with certainty that I will no longer suggest Sony to them as a brand- especially for HDTVs.
The small claims idea was one that I had not considered. Has anyone had any success with this? I read quickly through these posts and did not find anyone that one such a case.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
This is from my post of Jan 7, 2009 -

"Also, forget the BBB. They are just a private membership org that nobody cares about consulting anymore. Better to cc the Federal Trade Commission on all your correspondence. Here is a quote from their site - "Your complaint, comment, or inquiry may help us spot a pattern of law violations requiring law enforcement action. It also may help us recognize and tell people about bigger trends affecting consumers. We do not resolve individual consumer disputes."

website for more info - http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm

Mail to address -
Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580"

Lisa:
Thanks for the info. I submitted a complaint with the FTC online. Very simple, and takes 5 minutes. I would urge everyone to do the same and force Sony to address the problems with these sets.

I have also begun to research what is needed to open a small claims case. In MA it costs $40 and can be done with little energy. I feel like I have no other option. Offering me %20 off their already overprices sonystyle store is not a solution. I want them to fix the optical block plain and simple.

I received a Fedex from Sony Legal saying they want to resolve the matter before it goes to the hearing.
I highly recommend people to go through all the stages, i.e. review committee etc. If you want it fixed, just get the authorized estimate and file the small claims paperwork. That seems to be the ONLY way they will actually do something for you aside from offering bad discounts on new sony tv's.
If 1 small claims case gets a judgment on the books, that could open the floodgates. Good luck everyone.
Don't let them take advantage of you, it's 40 bucks and a half hour of your time to file.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Whoa - a fed ex from Sony legal. That is a first. You go agn!

Would you let us know of their offer? I hope they don't try to play games with you like Sony cust svc with more delaying crummy offers. What was the amended amt you were asking of Sony in sm claims?

Thanks, Lisa

agm:
Please let us know how they resolved it with you. I agree that this is the only solution. I plan on filing next week myself.

Wrote letter, got a call back. What a joke, offered me the KDL-52W4100 for $1520 plus tax. I can get it cheaper on Amazon! Small claims here we come.

Username: Just_joe

I have a 42" Sony (KDF-42WE655) that just started having reddish spots show up on the screen. After doing some research and finding sites like this one I now know this is an optical block issue. I also now know that Sony stopped offering to repair the issue for free on 12-21-08.

I went around and around with their Customer Support & Customer Relations people today. Since I missed the cut off time, too bad for me. When I started asking questions and making statements about design flaws, faulty manufacturing I started getting basically "no comment".

As soon as I can get my hands on the original receipt I'll be firing off a letter to Sony's review panel as well as the CEO. It is not fair to make a customer pay for a repair when the company knows there is an issue with the product. I was only asking for the replacement parts to be given to me for free and I was willing to pay for the labor cost. Now I'll be demanding they cover the entire amount.

I won't hold my breath that anything will happen and if they don't help me out I can assure you, as I assured the Sony people I talked to today, my new tv will not be a Sony.

Username: Mikedan

Mine finally is starting to go. I thought I was safe after 4 years and 4 months. At least I got the new bulb on my extended warranty.

Blue color is creeping in at the lower left corner and spreading along the bottom. Will less run time make it last longer, or does it spread fast?

Purchased KDF-55SX955 in Nov of 2004. Not sure of the "model year" yet.

There are so many posts and I know the official warranty extension has expired. So what are my steps now? Who do I call first? Will I have to pay an authorized repairman to estimate the repair? I hate to lay out that charge knowing it may not be worth the repair investment at this point.

Would love to know small claims outcome, but I'll bet the out of court settlement, if there is one, will be contingent on silence. I'd consider small claims. What documentation would be needed? What is the basis of the suit? There has to be a legal issue involved doesn't there? Building a crappy product and having crappy customer service isn't illegal (though I guess it's not a criminal case)..So maybe the damages are the cost of repair or the loss of expected usage? Maybe knowing the what the class action alleges would be useful. I wonder if the existence of a class action nullfies small claims? The small claim filer would probably just not be able to be in the class I think.

How do I get in the class action suit?

I'm going to make calls Monday...

Hell of a week, broken down car and very sick pet, now this......

Username: Mjwjal

I don't know if anybody else have been following this other thread on another forum but it sounds like there is a lawyer taking names to start a class action lawsuit. Don't know if it's legit or not but it sounds like people are talking with him.

http://getsatisfaction.com/sony/topics/sony_grand_wega_optical_block_issue?utm_c ontent=topic_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thank you for that link toonce. Email rlax@lax-law.com and he will contact you about the lawsuit.

ITS ABOUT F@&&!NG TIME!!!

Power to the people, or at least all of us who have been denied any justice from $ony. I hope the lawsuit also covers those of us wo were forced to buy a new tv that was not from Sony. I had two choices: Fix it myself for $1,000 with another part that might fail, or take them up on their generous offer to trim their tv's to a price that was still $100 higher than Best Buy. Neither was a solution for me, and I hope that The Lax law firm works this into their settlement.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I sent him an email last night and he replied instantaneously.

Wayne,
We would be happy to have you aboard. If you send me your contact information, I will call you on Monday to explain the process. You can also feel free to call me at 212-818-9150.
Thanks and regards,
Rob

I think we need to jump on this train and see where it gets off. This is what we have ALLLL been waiting for people.

I'm in, emailed him this morning, I hope this pans out.

Username: Mikedan

I emailed him too, about 11:30 pm EST last night. I didn't hear anything. Do I have a TV he's not suing about? KDF-55XS955? I'm pretty sure it's the same TV as the XBR,minus a bell or whistle. I just got the problem this year. I guess I'm not a heavy enough user to have it happen sooner...doesn't seem fair.

Any idea why he didn't get back to me? Maybe it was just too late last night?

I have to call Sony tomorrow and start a complaint.

What number do I call and what department do I ask for? Any key words I need to drop? Thanks for the help.

FYI, there's a website up for the class action suit:

http://www.sonya10tvclassaction.com

Username: Robbo

I bought a KDF-50WE655 in November 2004, and had no trouble with it until 2 weeks ago. I never received any notice from Sony about optical block problems.

Now, I'm getting blue dots and splotches which are developing rapidly, and Sony tells me I'm out of luck getting any repair from them. What a crock! Here's a photo of the current state of my display.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us