A Few Questions about Satellite TV...

Silver Member
Username: Gmanrus

Post Number: 148
Hey guys, can anyone tell me please, do these satellite dishes get local channels (Toronto, Canada)? If so, where do I need to point my dish to get these channels? Currently I have 2 26" dishes pointed at 118-119 (works great)), and 61.5 (gone to N3). The one that's pointed at 61.5 I don't use anymore since N3. I also have a 30" dish in my garage which is not installed, may be you guys can tell me what can I use it for. Thank you in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 4630
G-manrus u can point ur dish towards 82 or 91 degrees where they have bell channels (currently on nagra 3), so once nagra 3 is crack then u can use it...
91 is good for ppv movies cad channels ,po*rn movies..
82 is good for some international channels like atn,b4u,ndtv,sony,ary..and
CBN (Cricket channel)
but again both 82 and 91 are on nagra 3..

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1795
In general, satellite dishes DO receive LOCAL channels on Dishnet...they are SPOTBEAMED to the local area only..The spotbeam size varies from channel to channel (but usually within 100 miles or so)..Toronto may receive some locals channels from the upper US like Detroit or Buffalo..

This site lists which channels are on which satellites ..and which locals are spotbeamed.. www.dishuser.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Thank you sada and justforhaha's for your help. So, I'd better wait until someone cracks N3 and then poit the dishes to 82 and 91. What if I buy a TV antenna, will I be able to recieve any local channels?

Silver Member
Username: Aanaa

Post Number: 275
n3 ? any idea when it'll be cracked ?

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 8566
G-MANrus

You can get local digital channels, from Toronto you can get about 22 digital channels with a much better quality than any satellites or cables provider but you will need a good motorized antenna.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Thanks for the info Plymouth, although can you suggest which of all the antennas, available for sale in North America, is good enough to watch the local channels? I would buy something in the price range of $50-$100. Thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 14768
In Toronto you can get over 20 local Canadian channels using a good antenna.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 8572
G-MANrus

The best antenna company on the market is Winegard

Here is the link:
http://www.winegard.com/

look on this site what you realy need in regard with your position, you can look at the forum and ask info for your need.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Thank you all again. I remember there was a google based website that shows the angle under which the satellite dishes operate. It also shows the paths for pointing the dishes. Hey guys, Nalin Nyda, Plymouth, or anybody else if you remember this website could you please provide me with a link to it? Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Dimwitt

Post Number: 1217
www.dishpointer.com

?

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2645
http://satcalculator.freehostia.com/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1796
Satellite Finders (Look Angle Calculators)
-------------------------------------------------
www.dishpointer.com

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2653
Plymouth .. using that antenna do you pick up singles free or do you have to subscribe to them?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 8588
Doreen

This is a AIR antenna, all channels are free and with much better quality than Satellites or Cables Provider.

You get it with a ATSC(Advanced Television Systems Committee) tuner available on new TV set or with a ATSC tuner unit that you can use on standard TV.

New ATSC provide MENU EPG as for Satellites and Cables box, the quality is better because the signal is not compressed as much and not encrypted.

I' m sure that many custumers could cancel their SUBs on Satellites and Cables when all will be in force with maxinum strenght of signal and you will need a simple rabbit ears.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14781
G-MANrus: You should realize that by point the Dish anywhere, you can only get FTA channels (not local) and Dish Channels (not Toronto/Canadian locals).
The only Toronto "local" American channel you will be able to get via dish Network is WNED which is described as a PBS channel for Buffalo and Toronto.
You will also get a whole lot of American local channels (names with starting letter "W"), BUT YOU WILL NOT GET CANANDIAN LOCAL FREE CHANNELS unless you buy an antenna.

Username: Augie56

Post Number: 1
having problems with saving dish settings on my sv 360 prem. any input?

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
Just got an antenna, so far I get only 11 channels and only 2 of them have a good reception. However, this is an outdoor antenna and I haven't installed it yet on the roof.

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2694
G-manus I guess it depends on where you live too. We can get well over 20 channels just using bunny ears where I live. I might buy the antenna too but will wait till N3 is done and see what we get then. also analogue tv will shutdown June 12, 2009 maybe later so not sure if the antenna will work then.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 8667
G-MANrus,Doreen

Until the move on Digital TV be totally made the signal is lower like 5000 to 50,000 watts, when all complete you will have 200,000 to 400,000 watts like standard signal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1799
Analog has shut down in US at most all stations in February, they didn't wait til June...power did not change/lessen at all when switched to digital...coincidentally I just spoke with the local stations engineers this afternoon about this....but VHF channels are much tougher now in digital with new boxes...UHF is the same..

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 8670
justforhaha's

We talk about Toronto, Canada
My info come from FCC and CRTC.
Many stations had temporarily emits on a second antenna with less power until the main antenna emits the Digital signal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1800
My info comes from personal experience, TV station engineers, and FCC...most stations in US have already switched 2 months ago, and no temp antenna's, they're using same towers...in fact many stations will share the same towers..No temp anything or lower power...I can give ya a phone # of an TV station engineer and the FCC if ya like...

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4254
"Analog has shut down in US at most all stations in February,"
Boss
I don't know where yo got this information from?
Everything was pushed back by FCC to June 12th
In fact I just bought a digital converter box for my mother in law cuz she doesn't have cable or satellite all they watch is off the air local channels and they still get local broadcast VHF until today

But not as of June 12th
Yo don't have to ask any engineers
Yo can just believe what I say
It is regulated by FCC not by each local station

Gold Member

Post Number: 1801
King..TECHICALLY the REQUIRED (no later than) date is June 12th, which was pushed back from February 9th...BUT most all stations in the US did ALREADY convert on Feb 9th anyways and did NOT wait for June...I can tell U of 3 states that ALL stations (except a few PBS) that have changed to Digital already in this past February...

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 8674
Thanks King!

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2695
Many countries have, or have decided to, cease analog transmissions to switch to digital broadcasting - this is generally referred to as Digital switchover. In the United States, analog transmission was scheduled to end on February 17, 2009. However, on February 4 Congress voted to delay analog shutdown until June 12, 2009 In Canada, it will cease on August 31, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4256
My mother and father in law in LA area
They are getting 15 OTA ch like NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, WB, KTLA, PBX etc.
They always have
And I guess major broadcasters were mandaded to continue transmission till June 12th
This may not apply to selective local digital channels
I know NY and LA were not effected
The truth I can't speak on behalf of every single small city
It's always a possibility only newer brodcasters

But one thing I'm sure of
As of June 12th many older people counting on OTA their TVs will turn cold
I know my father in law had no clue there is such a change if it wasn't for me simply asking

For more info on what's in yor town:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
Type yor zip code

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2700
well we here in Canada have no worries till August 31, 2011.

Silver Member
Username: Mohamad_obama

Terhan, Iran Iran

Post Number: 418
I live in a large city south of LA and I will tell you by my experience, THEY WENT DIGITAL IN FEB. They didn't wait for the feds to tell them when to do it.

They were ready by the Feb. date, and they did it.

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2702
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90621

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41102

Interesting read

Silver Member
Username: Koko_wawa

Post Number: 367
If I have HD TV, Do I have to use HD digital converter to watch HD local channels?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14789
Justforhaha's has to pretend he know everything. Then his other nick "Mohamad Obama" has to predictably come and support the wrong information with more somewhat misleading information.

Well the truth is:
1. This thread is about Digital TV in Canada - not in USA. and in Canada Analog broadcast fully exists till August, 2009.

2. It is official that the transition deadline in USA has been shifted officially, by senate approval to June 12
See URL:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/business/media/27digital.html

Senate Approves Digital TV Delay

By BLOOMBERG NEWS
Published: January 26, 2009
The Senate voted on Monday to delay next month's transition to digital television until June 12 because some viewers would not be ready for the switch.

3. Some smaller stations in USA decided to stick to the February deadline. However, "Major market affiliate groups, as well as the network O&Os of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC, will honor the June deadline"
http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/2009/03/23/republicans-oppose-dtv-delay/

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4257
"If I have HD TV, Do I have to use HD digital converter to watch HD local channels?"
Ans is no
Yo don't need a converter box
All flat screen TVs come with Digital Tuner

Mr. Mohammed Obama
My mother in Law lives in southern California
She still gets analog cable
I have no idea what switch yor talking about
I'm telling yo the transition was bumped to June 12th
Read the news bud

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2703
karkour kaka

http://dtvfacts.com/hdtv-converter-scam/

Bronze Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 84
King,
You also claim that YOR digital satellite receiver picks up analog signals.

YO post too much BS, to ever be deemed credible

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14796
Chumley aka LK aka justforhaha's:

King knows so much more than you do - you are not fit even to lick his boots, let alone argue with him about FTA.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 8678
"If I have HD TV, Do I have to use HD digital converter to watch HD local channels?"

Yes if you don't have a ATSC tune built in.

Few older HD TV doesn't have ATSC tuner.

Check for scan your channels and you will see Digital or analogic, if you don't have this choice your TV don't have ATSC tuner.

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2704
HD programming options
You can watch local HD broadcasts over the air for free on an HDTV that includes a built-in ATSC digital tuner.

Besides an HDTV, cable or direct-broadcast satellite customers will need to subscribe to a package that includes HD programming. (Depending on your HDTV and your pay-TV provider, you may also need an HD-capable cable box or satellite receiver.) Otherwise you'll just be watching in standard definition.

While broadcast stations and cable networks have increased their HD offerings, many programs have yet to make the jump to HD. Capacity limits on cable and satellite systems have limited HD programming to certain channels, although the number of HD channels is expected to grow over time.

Silver Member
Username: Koko_wawa

Post Number: 368
Thanks guys I am well informed.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4258
"King,
You also claim that YOR digital satellite receiver picks up analog signals."

Yo read backward pal
Yo must be related to the 14 year old aribian boi
Yo guys should get together to form yor own league

BTW
If anyone looking for comedy materials
look no further than this forum
Very high quality Retarded Comedians

Silver Member
Username: Little_bear

Sudbury, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 103
like i have said you are a very sick person. You can say and post all you want
but find one person here besides Nalin that believes you. You are a joke and for the good of this forum you should be banned.

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 2683
I believe him Desert Queen. King is a good man.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14814
Desert Fox:
I might be a joke in your eyes - sensible people don't think so. But you are no joker - you are just an unwanted burden to this forum.
Learn to respect knowledge in others even if you don't have any.
YOU know not, and know not that you know not; therefore you are a fool and people shun you.

Username: Khushii

Post Number: 4
I dont think nalin is a joke. He is an important person for this forum, we need him b/c he helps us.

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2713
LMAO well he doesn't help me any

Post Number: 5
May be u dont need help, and come here to pass your time.

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2715
oh I help here often but you don't see it because I help members in PMs mostly that way Nalin can't bash me or try to take control and act like he is right and I am wrong. See I have been here 5 years Nalin 2 and a half years. I came to this forum as a HELPER NOT A NEWBIE to FTA. Unlike Nalin who didn't know about FTA till he got here. I also have been a hobbyist with direct TV and C-band years ago so in total well over 12 years now or so. NO I don't just pass the time here!

Post Number: 7
I M IMPRESSED!

Bronze Member
Username: Brampton

Post Number: 13
Doreen U R right I came to the forum forum almost same time as nalin did.
but look at my posts and those of nalin's. most of us do come to these forums as a newbie but nalin has been a lot of help to a lot of people. so three cheers to nalin and to yourself. keep it up as there are lot more people who follow the forum than the one's who actually post. actually now is a good time to be on the fofurm when fta's are down and every body is paying attention.
we(the People) respect everybody who help no matter you come to the forum as a newbie or an expert.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14831
sam brampton:

Thanks for your appreciation.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14832
Doreen has short memory.

Doreen says:
"See I have been here 5 years Nalin 2 and a half years."

Doreen - Username:Doreenakadj

Nalin Nyda - Username: Nydas

Doreen says: "LMAO well he doesn't help me any"

Doreen: Do you want me to post your total frustration with PUFF conversions whilst everybody even newbies were converting to PUFF comfortably?
Do you want to me to actually post your PM to me asking my help?

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2718
Well Nalin you just proved you don't pay attention.. This nick is my second one, I closed my last acount because of LK ( long story) I was DJ b4 Doreenakadj....

(Q.SO what have you learnt today?
(A. MY REGISTRASTION DATE DOESN'T COUNT as Doreenakadj.

Since 2004 I have been here honey .

"Doreen: Do you want me to post your total frustration with PUFF conversions whilst everybody even newbies were converting to PUFF comfortably?
Do you want to me to actually post your PM to me asking my help?"

My answer to that is DUMBASS.... I told you many times b4 that at that time my cable had a pin missing and thats why I wasn't able to get the PUFFF conversion to work .... But you don't pay attention as usual you just love bringing that up as an attenpt to hold that against me don't you?.

In my eyes Nalin your the one that looks stupid to me and thats all that matters. I don't like you ... I don't respect you ... AND I WILL NEVER EVER GIVE A F^CK WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ME.

So again for the last time GIVE IT UP your not winning this one. BTW i still have the PM saved to would you like me to post them for you?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14833
The simple fact is that when newbies were comfortable converting to PUFF, YOUR receiver went to sleep and then you did not know how to JTAG.
Then you did a PM to me for help!!!

Jog your memory, Internet Troll.

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2721
PROVE I USE MANY NICKS.. shall we ask the admin to provide the proof? I use only this one .. I have nothing to hide. its true i don't know how to jtag because I never F^CKED UP my FLU RECEIVERS. unlike you that has given poor advice to newbies then had to give them the jtag fix My first FLY is dated . AUG 2004 (STILL WORKS) seconds one Sept.2004 (STILL WORKS)

As for LK he and I do not talk anymore not for 2 years But you wouldn't know that because you are JEALOUS that I liked him more than you. Hens the reason you bring up the past. I even tried to befriend you and forget the past between us BUT YOUR BULLHEADED and can't let LK go.

OH AND HERE ARE THE TWO PMs

2700 to 2500
From: eCoustics.com Message Board (auto-reply@ecoustics.com)
Sent: October 3, 2007 8:17:13 PM
To: djs@hotmail.com

Congratulations! You have received a private message from the following discussion board user: Nydas ----------------------------------------------------------- There is a package with the following name somewhere - either at dssrookie or at future-fta.2700 to 2500 via serial port.zipHave you tried it? The Chancy 294T package as downloaded (or 293T package) has two files - one is called full jtag. You could try this way - it can't hurt.When you are ready using BL updater 1.4 you select this file and you are ready. Keep one hand on the mouse and the other hand on the switch at the back. Turn on the switch and immediately click on the mouse.See if this will take the 293T or 294T BIN. -----------------------------------------------------------

More info
From: eCoustics.com Message Board (auto-reply@ecoustics.com)
Sent: October 3, 2007 9:00:12 PM
To: djs@hotmail.com

Congratulations! You have received a private message from the following discussion board user: Nydas ----------------------------------------------------------- Further to my response a few minutes ago, I have looked at the instructions in the file and am sending you the copy.**-- **-- **-- **-- **-- **-- **-- Included is Loader to convert back to 2500. Also included is a moded file of BL208(CS_208T_serial.bin) bin file for conversion with transparent background to 2700 same as jvvh's 208 file. Prop's goto jvvh for the conversion to 2700 I only moded it. The conversion back to 2500 I have tested and with the help of Stevega testing I feel comfortable to release this for those to test and report back. Steps to Convert Back:1.) With 2700 to 2500 Loader Converter.exe(included) load Boot60.bin(included) to box and do not touch box when done it will reboot to nightrider and this is ok.2.) Now open Blacklist Updater v1.4.exe(included) and load X-85BL_070812_294T_api.bin(included)3.) Let the box reboot on its own and it should show "ON" in the display window.4.) Now hook back up tp TV and it should have defaulted you into the menu at English. Hit "OK" and then you are back to a 2500 again. -----------------------------------------------------------

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Hey guys, this thread has been created to help me out, not to post some bullsh*t! I appreciate your help but please let's keep this thread related to the topic. Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us