RCA 61" DLP HDTV- HD61THW263 cuts off and on every two minutes?

Username: Kevinray

Spring, Texas Usa

Post Number: 1
Hello,anyone with ideas about what's causing this dlp model to cut off and on every couple of minutes. It is for sell in Craigs list offered "as is". They claim lamp, but I am skeptical because user's guide says light blinks five times for faulty lamp and should not be able to power on. This model powers on and then automatically shuts down and then comes back on. Is this fan, thermal relay, color wheel, any clues out there?

Silver Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 162
Stay the hell away!!!
It could be anything from lamp, light engine or Board. I wouldnt take it if it was free.

You are just asking for trouble.

Bronze Member
Username: Tvtroublesolution

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 38
Hi Kevin,

The problem on that RCA DLP could be the lamp because when it starts to go bad you'll:

>Get audio with no picture
>The picture gets dimmer
>The TV turns of after a couple of minutes (You'll not get the lamp blinking code in some cases, that is why I think I could be the lamp)

The lamp works with mercury gas so it has a lifespan of 6000 hours in average. If the television is more than 2 years old and if they haven't change the lamp before... then it is most likely defective

Check this link to learn more on the bulb:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/how-dlp-works-like-magic-a/141.html

Maybe you didn't bought the TV but if you're still looking for a used DLP set, try checking if a local store is selling it that way you can check:

>Picture and audio quality
>Ask how old the TV is
>Ask what kind of problems has the TV experienced
>Ask if the lamp, color wheel or the ballast have been replaced (or any other component)
>Check if you hear any humming or buzzing noises (symptoms of a faulty ballast)
>Check for any whirling or winding sounds (symptoms of a defective Color wheel)
>In case of a dark picture adjust the picture settings, if the screen is still dark then the lamp may be in the end of its life
>Check the store policy, check the warranty and get a copy of it.

If everything looks OK then give it a shot, but if the TV is offered online (like in this case) then I wouldn't recommend it.

To learn more on DLP technology, check this link:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/dlp.htm

Hope this helps out, take care
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us