Sam HLN437W or Sony KF42WE610 LCD???

Paul T
Has anyone seen the new Sony KF42WE610??? I see where it is new Sony Wega LCD and available at about $1000 less then the Sammy HLN437W. Are there any drawbacks with LCDs? Is there a chance of bad pixels or pixels going bad (where I hear DLP will not have this problem).. HAS ANYONE SEEN THE Sony KF42WE610 Yet?? Please any info would be greatly appreciated, I am confined to a 43-46 wide screen and the depth cannot be more then 16" hence the reason I am looking at these TVs exclusively...

Anonymous
Hi Paul - I've been faced with the problem of getting an HDTV set up a restricted (narrow) access to a large dormer bedroom. I've put the Samsung HLN437W and Sony KF42WE610 on my short list. Yesterday I saw both sets for the first time in one place (Circuit City, Pittsburgh PA). Since I know that flat panel LCD screens can get 'stuck' pixels, I asked that question regarding the Sony. I was told this could not happen with the KF monitor. The feed into the KF was from Dish showing a local channel. It looked pretty miserable. They played a 'Monsters Inc.' DVD on the Samsung in a separate room (!) and, of course, it looked magnificent (brilliant animation). Last week I saw the KF at another CC store and it had their promo DVD to simulate HD and it was outstanding. From what I've read, we can't expect too much from non-HD sources for now. Cheapest price I've found for the KF on the internet: $2,216. For the HLN 437W: $2,799. I'm told by different sources that DLP is the technology to pick - but I'm leaning towards Sony's product! It's really handsome!

I saw the Sony KF42WE610 today at an independent audio/video store. It was set up with a Sony tuner and a roof-top antenna. The sales manager switched back and forth from DirecTV to antenna for comparison purposes. The regular DirecTV and their HDTV programs were awesome on this set. Normal analog reception for local over-the-air stations is fuzzy: when it goes through the digital connection on the tuner it's a world of a difference. He didn't try to impress me by playing a DVD...just the broadcasts spoke for themselves. I, too, looked at the Samsung 43" DLP but I'm going with the Sony.

Anonymous
I am faced with the exact same dilema... I have not seen the sammy yet, but looked at the sony today, it looked fantastic... any other info from anyone who has researced this would be helpful...

Valvear
Go to AVSforum. They have quite of bit of discussion threads on the Sammy/Hitachi LDC/Sony GIII/Lcos. I spent days reviewing this site and came away purchasing the Sony 42we610.

Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=63

Steve A.
I've had the Samsung HLN437W for about 3 weeks now. Very impressed with the picture, although in 4:3 mode there is some curvature in the vertical lines. The problem with my tv is that the color wheel seems to make a lot of noise. I called Samsung tech support, and they assured me it's normal. Although, listening at CC at the display models they didn't seem as loud. So I went to CC today to buy the extended warranty. That's when I saw the new Sony KF-42WE610. Very awsome and a lot less. Long short, I made the switch. The picture looked amazing, less depth (14.5"), and no noise. They will deliver it next Saturday and pickup the Sammy. My advice to anyone is buy it from Circuit City. With their 30 day try period it can't be beat. I'll try out the Sony for 30 days and if I don't like it, it's going back as well. I'm not rich, so spending that kind of money I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Rick T
I picked up the Sony KF42-WE610 last week and it is truly awesome. I have been looking at various big screens (I too have limited space so the 42" is my only option) for about 6 months now and was really impressed when I saw the Sony for the first time. I had been leaning towards the Sammy but the price held me back. The superb picture and clarity of the Sony make it a real pleasure to watch. Go for it...you won't be disappointed!

B Hein
Steve you mention buy from Circuit City. I'll give you a couple more reasons why.

1. They never seem to have a lot of customers in the store. That means I won't have to wait in a long line to BUY it.

2. They never seem to have a lot of customers in the store. That means I won't have to wait in a long line to RETURN it.

It's funny but for me it's true. I usually shop around and then buy from them for that reason. They'll price match without a bat of an eye. Best Buy it takes forever to get in and out.

B Hein
Steve and Rick: For the price of the 43" Sony I can get the 50" Pannasonic PT50LC13. What made you feel the Sony was better? Or was size the only issue? I see the Sony, Panny, Hitachi all in a dead heat. I like the Panny for price and Computer RGB inputs that neither the Sony or Hitachi has. The Sony doesn't have RGB in correct?

Rick T
B Hein: You're right, the Sony doesn't have the RGB in. For me is wasn't a concern. And yes, size was an issue for me. 42" was the largest I could go with the space I had.

Steve A.
B Hein: That is correct, the space limitation of my living room kept me at around a 42" model. When I bought the Sammy, Circuit City wasn't carrying the Sony yet. I have a Sony Clie and digital camera, so the built-in Memory Stick reader is a plus, and given the problems/noise with the Sammy, I decided to switch. Everything about the TV is awesome, with the exception of one thing: I can't get the Comcast On Demand to work if I route the cable through the TV, then to the HV Cable box. If the cable plugs directly into the HV box, then to the TV, it works fine.

I bought a splitter today just to test if there's a problem with the TV tuner. Quite strange. Everything else with the cable box works fine. PPV, Help, Tv Guide, just On Demand. I won't return the TV if it is the TV. On Demand just came out and there really isn't that much I need to see.

Anyone else with a Sony have this problem with their cable provider?

Anonymous
I give the Sony kf42we610 42' lcd a 12 on a scale of 10. I have looked at everything on the market for the last year. I have this set delivered 2 days ago I am totally IMPRESSED.

Sam

How do you folks think this new sony compares to the XBR 42 lcd that is obviously more expensive ($3999 at CC). If price wasn't the issue, is the XBR at better TV?

Actually, the set I was referring to was the Sony Grand Wega KF-50XBR800 LCD Rear Projection which is more expensive ($3999 at CC). If price wasn't the issue, is the XBR at better TV.

Anonymous
Gary,

If you want a 50", the WE610 is the clear choice. If you want a 60", you might want the XBR950, but the WE610 is still a better picture than the XBR800.

Dan
All - Thanks for the informative thread. I too have been looking at plasmas, CRTs and the LCD/DLP projection TVs. I saw the 42 inch Sony 610 at Tweeter, and thought it was great. When I went to Myer Emco, the manager showed me everything he had, and then said he thought the 610 was a good choice- and he didn't even have one in the store to sell me!! I think this is the one for me.

Two questions though: 1) does anyone find degradation in the picture by viewing at a modest angle, as with other projection TVs? 2) what are you using for a stand? The matching stand runs $400+, which seems like a lot.

Thanks!

Anonymous
I have seen 2 Samsung HLN437Ws (CC and Sears). Both of these sets had a very obvious green cast to the picture, making flesh tones look very unnatural. The Samsung looked terrible next to the Sony KF42WE610 (which will not fit in the space I have). This was very surprising given the rave reviews about the Samsung picture. Does anyone have an explanation? Is the Samsung HLN467W any better?

Bruce Lee of TVs
Is the Samsung HLN467W any better?

I've seen all the sammy HLM and HLN models and have had the HLN617W for 60+ days and the answer is NOOOOO!!!

The Samsung DLPs have to be the decades biggest anticipated disappointment in electronics.

I can't wait till Tweeter swaps my TV for any other good HDTV, any thing God, just not another DLP!

Has anyone connected a Tivo to either the Sony KF42we610 or the Samsung HLM437w? When the pictiure is sized to fill the screen what happens to the menus?

I saw the Sony KF42WE610 at Hillcrest Hi-Fi in Dallas today and I thought it looked fantastic. I was leaning toward the Sony KV34HS510 until I saw the WE610. They had it on sale for $2649.00 but I have not looked anywhere else in Dallas for it. Should I stay away from a direct view set since they may be on the way out in the future? Does anyone know if SVM is defeatable in the Sony WE610? Thanks.

NewHitachi
I made my decision, and even though you have to make your own, for your needs and tastes, I find that information I am going to relate is the kind I was looking for from more people, (rather than arguments about technology and specs alone). In other words, this could push you one way or the other, but should not leave you more confused in the end. It could also be a primer or starting point if not a deal maker.

First, I read scores of threads at www.avsforum.com

Oh, my! That's a quite a read, too! You will come away more knowledgeable and yet, not necessarily sure about the best set to actually plunk your bucks down on.

At first, I was pretty hot on the Sammy DLP's. Technically speaking, they were sounding very good.

Intially, I thought plasma, (that's all you hear about these days) was the only route for my entry into a non-CRT big screen TV. Plasma is expensive (but dropping), has its problems, and no matter how good they might "look" I think they need to advance to a new type of technology in the emmisive department ... perhaps nanotubes on the horizon. The life and burn-in issues, for now, scare me ... well, if I were rich, it might not.

So, starting from the tech side, DLP was looking good. As I read more about it, it soon lost its luster for purchase. I do see some great potential for it in the future, as well, though. I might reconsider them after the HD2+, but the single chip technology is a major drawback to me. A generation or two, maybe three, and DLP should be a powerful consumer RPTV option.

I then started to open my mind, (this is all before going in to even LOOK at a set) to LCD, even though some people literally bash them.

I am a proud 36" standard tube tv owner right now and my Toshiba is so up-to-par that it sets my "standard" of course. That is a standard that, technically, DLP, LCD, etc., will not manage live up to currently, but that's not all that matters, as you will see.

On and on I go, reading and preparing myself for going in to look them over. I am not even considering rear projection CRT becaues of size, weight, calibration, and the fact I have never found them, (read: personally) to look that good, even when calibrated well. Some people swear by them, of course ... and they can be more affordable.

I quickly demerit the DLP and now add the Sony GWIII, and comparable Panny and Hitachi models. Oddly, even though I am a former Hitachi devotee, (in the 80's), it was last on my list at first.

Then, more reading! I decide to dump DLP, no matter how much some "owners" who have already made their decisions rave. I do plan to look at it and compare at the store, but its last on my list now.

Now that I am in LCD RPTV, I compare the reviews and reports of owners of all three and read the reasons why people chose one or the other. It looks like the Panny will only get points for price consideration and inputs, being the lowest in price of the big three. It already sounds like it may be lacking visually. Picture quality is an issue for me ... as good as possible, at least.

That boils it down to either a 60" GWIII, or the same size Hitachi. I have also decided I am going to get the largest screen I can for a good "theater" effect, rathet than a "large TV".

What really helps me decide is a fellow on the AVS forum who manages to get a GWIII and a Hitachi 50v500 and compare them side-by-side. They each have minor quirks, strengths, etc. but they don't sound that much different if price is going to be an issue.

So, now I am really leaning towards the Hitachi, 60v500. Remote is good (no sweet spot to aim at like Sony), cabinet looks better than Sony's current models. Hitachi is supposed to have better black, Sony has slightly better brighness.

I go to the store. I do look for the "flaws" of each type of technlogy. I also check all the CRT rear projection units, (even though weight and size are a factor here) and plasma as well.

CRT projection TV's are often not set up or calibrated well at major stores like Sears. Its a shame, because I KNOW the should look a lot better. Even with that in mind, I was just as disinterested in RP CRT tvs as ever ... they make me feel ho-hum.

At this point, I am not down to comparing plasma, (as a reference) and DLP vs LCD. Plasma does not "look" bad at all. The viewing angle seems to be a non-issue. I look for rainbows and dithering in DLP, I look for the screen door effect in LCD's. I don't seem to notice either. Possibly a little SDE on LCD closer up.

Then, even considering that none of these sets are adjusted, calibrated, and may even diverge from the out-of-the-box settings, I drop all my ideas about the technology at this point and go by pure subjective, "How do I like the picture?" I am trying to get the best looking TV based on new technologies that may have some time ahead of them to truely mature or beat out CRT tube sets.

DLP just did not do it for me. I did not see much realism in HD or SD. The colors, brightness, and smoothnes of the picture were very acceptable, but I did, like others have said, feel like I was watching a TV, not looking through a window. It looking more like a painting than a photo or real.

After much in-store watching, going back and forth, thinking about 50" versus 60", I was totally impressed, "visually" by the Hitachi LCD RPT. In fact, it looked much, much better than I had imagined it might, while the Sammy DLP looked worse than I had expected. Panny's were obviously a bit inferior, (but you might like them) in color, brigthness, etc. GWIII looks great, but similar to Hitachi. Hitachi blacks did look better to my eye.

So, I got as good a price for the 60" as I could, (saving a lot compared to the Sony as well) and did the deal. I am now waiting for delivery and feel that my choice, (for me, not YOU) was the best I could make, all things considered.

Two things you want to look at when you do your final "viewing" purchase concering LCD RP's are:

Do you see the screen door effect? As the term says, its as if you are looking at the picture through a screen door. This is due to the grid pattern of the LCD's "showing". If you don't notice it at 10+ feet, then you are fine. If you do see it, does it happen often and how noticible is it, i.e., does it bother you? I did catch it just a bit close up but I was looking for it. This will be one factor you may want to consider.

The other factor that has been brought up is the "slowness" of LCD technology. That means that people have complaind about blurring, streaks, etc. because LCD has traditionally been slow at "refreshing" the picture on fast moving scenes/objects. I think this has been mostly, if not completely, rectified in this generation of LCD RP's. I looked very hard for blurring or streaks on action scenes and moving objects and saw nothing to that effect. I was even shocked by the lack of any sign of this shortcoming. I was expecting to see it.

I am going to say that Hitachi is the winner for me and they are making a great entry into this part of the market, right off the bat.

I have not "lived" with my set yet, but I have a Sears 60-day money back, so I am willing to give the final test = watching various feeds for a while. I don't expect SD stretched, to look GREAT, but I am buying mostly for DVD and HD Satellite viewing.

Though I am already convinced that the picture on this set looks marvelous, stunning, great, considering price and the limits of the technology, even I end up being dissapointed over the long run, I can't imagine any other option and will withdraw from that market, possibly to wait several years until "technical perfection" is closer. In other words, my impression is that the Hitachi 60v500 looks so good that I have no other options, (expect an expensive HEAVY new Sony 40" standard tube CRT that came out recently) except to live with my great 34" standard tv for a while.

If I get a chance, maybe I will come back and do a post-delivery ramble to indicate how well my research and final eyeball tests at the store served me.

One last note. I don't want to point out again that the LCD RP's were much BETTER than I hoped they would be and even IMPRESSIVE on the crispness, color, and realism and the Hitachi stood out for me in that respect.

Remember too, that whatever set you buy, be sure to get a calibration disk, or at least, some starting settings from a "tweaker" at AVS forum before you decide to send it back. I know from several regular TV's I have had in the past, a good TV out of adjustment will look worse than a bad TV that is adjusted to the perfection that your personal preferences allow ... no set comes that way from the factory, IMHO.

Your milage may vary, vary much! ;)

NewHitachi,
Wow! Thanks so much for all your insight and thoughts about CRTs, LCDs etc. This helps me a great deal deciding what choice to make. I may go by my local Sears and check out the Hitachi sets. I have seen the Sony GW but not the Hitachi yet. I am going to look for those things you mentioned about LCD RP tvs like the screen door effect etc. Let me know how your new Hitachi performs once you get it set up. Thanks again for your views.

..Hey, great posts everyone. After visiting my CC (across the St. here in NYC, no less..lol) I am thinking seriously of going with the Sony KF42WE610..I am a simple TV fan and therefore just use regular local cable. Obviously upon purchasing an HD ready TV, I will be thinking about other "source" options for programming. Any input regarding HD programing from cable or Satelitie or which would be best with the above mentioned model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again..

A lot of good info here.
I am very seriously considering the Sony we610 and seeing that I am 66 years of age, this will probably br the last TV that I purchase. My wife and I watch mostly TV programs so I hope that I am not making a mistake by purchasing wide screen. I have ditital TV but no access to HDTV as yet. They say that is coming in January. What do you people think I shouls do?

Sincerely, Bob Evans Canada

A lot of good info here.
I am very seriously considering the Sony 42WE610 and seeing that I am 66 years of age, this will probably be the last TV that I purchase. My wife and I watch mostly TV programs so I hope that I am not making a mistake by purchasing wide screen. Currently have a 9 year old 27" TV. I have ditital TV but no access to HDTV as yet. They say that is coming in January. What do you people think I should do?

Retired and on modest fixed income.

Sincerely, Bob Evans Canada

Anonymous
I am also looking for a TV, and I had narrowed my choices down between the Sony KF42we610 and the Samsung HLN437W. After reading this thread I was kind of leaning towards the Sony LCD. So I went to best buy to check the both out and I was lucky enought to find both sitting right next to each other. At first glance I saw that the LCD seemed to have quite edge on the DLP as far as clarity. However, I checked the back of the sammy DLP and it was NOT being fed an HDTV signal!! :o) After being rather annoyed with the salesperson(he had pointed out how much better the LCD looked) After they were both recieving the same signal I could see that the Sony LCD looked just a touch clearer than the DLP. This makes sense to me as if you check the specs on both the LCD has more pixils and thus can have a finer picture. I sat for a while in lala land watching soccer in HD pretending I actually owned one of these fine pieces of engineering.. I noticed that the LCD was pixilating (blurring like crazy) when ever there was a fast action. But it looked great when everything was still. Then to confirm that I was not the only one seeing it a little an 8-9 yr daughter (her father was in lala land right along with me..) pointed at the LCD and said... "I don't like that one daddy... it gives me a headache.... its too blurry." Even my wife could notice and didn't like the blur. Now, I would normally say that it could be the video source causing the problem, but the DLP did not blur nearly as bad as the LCD. The color looked great on both, I couldn't see any green hues on the samsung(there are cds out there to walk you through the perfect screen adjustments for your eyes). Right now I guess I am leaning toward the samsung, but that may change. Needless to say, whatever you go with 'Paul T', both TVs have an AWESOME picture quality. Does the LCD picture quality degrade over time? Check this link out.. this guy has a lot more free time and money than I do, but he has a lot of info.. :

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1119467,00.asp

Michael Cooper
I am in Atlanta and have been looking at new RPTV's for a while and I did some side by side comparisons this weekend of the new Sony's and Samsung, and the new Sony WE610 series I think looks the best of everything. The picture is awesome.

The Samsung is way too green, and I see the rainbow effect and really don't want to go with a set with a color wheel.

Also, the prices of the Sony are getting pretty good. $3500 for a 60".

So it is an obvious choice to buy the Sony. Right? ..... Wrong.

If all I cared about was how the picture looked today, I would buy the Sony. However, if I plunk down around $4,000 (including stand/tax) for a TV, I expect it to last for quite a few years and I care a lot about how it will look a few years from now.

The big concern is with aging of the LCD panels. In the Circuit City store where I looked at the new Sony WE610, they also had last year's XBR800 model on display. The picture on it was TERRIBLE. It was totally washed out with a magenta cast in the black areas. I have seen these sets before and they looked pretty good, although the black levels were always a problem, but it never looked this bad.

As I understand it, that is the problem with transmissive LCD's. The organic material in them degrades with exposure to heat and light and become unable to fully block the light, so the blacks start to go away and basically the picture quality really degrades.

I think Sony has already realized this because their next generation sets due next year will not be using transmissive LCD's, but instead will be using what they call SXRD, Silicon Crystal Reflective Display

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200302/03-008E/

I think this is basically Sony's name for their version of LCoS which is essentially what SXRD is. It is reflective instead of transmissive and they have eliminated the organic material that seems to be the reason for the deterioration of the panel.

All that being said, it seems to me that the best technology for both picture quality and longevity is LCoS or SXRD.

I am very interested in seeing the new Toshiba 57HL83 which is a 3 panel LCoS set. It was supposed to be available in September. Has anyone seen it yet? Does anyone know a planned availability date for it?

emkmd
It seems there are manufacturing problems with the LCOS. Maybe noone can make the chip, or there is just a problem with the chip (as there is with the Phillips sets). Just rumors. I have been waiting for the Toshiba LCOS too, but growing impatient. I would avoid the Sony LCD, stuck pixel problems. The Samsung sets look ok, but I can't find a store that is putting a good signal through it. I may hold out for the next generation Samsung, which will have more colors on the wheel, and will no doubt be less $$. By that time we'll know the fate of the Toshiba, and learn more about the SXRD.

Well this is the first I've heard about the deterioration of LCD panels. I was all excited about the Sony WE610 but now I will have to rethink about all this. The next generation of LCD sets from Sony may be a solution but I have not heard good things about this LCos technology. The salesman at my local Hi-Fi store said there have been problems with LCoS but then again there will alway be some problems with any kind of new technology.

NewHitachi
Michael Cooper, thanks for that info, but that's news to me. Do you have any good links on the subject of the "expected" life of the RPTV LCD's?

Although these particualat sets are newer, I have yet to hear that degradation is a common issue from owners of the last generation.

Like many, I burn-in issues aside, I was feeling more confident about LCD RP's for a rather stable picture quality over a reasonable period of time.

What also comes to mind is, if that information is correct, is the service contract people, like Sears, who have rather broad repair/replacement standards. If these sets are going to degrade rapidly, then that means a lot of "engines" being replaced for people with five-year contracts.

So, it would be good to find out more about Sony's own MTBF or quality estimations. I strongly suggest that everyone who is buying a newer tech set get the extra service contract because of pontential techno problems that might crop up.

In that case, you should be entitled to replacment of the failed part, or even, (should repair cost be substantial or multiple) a newer set, as in next generation.

Anonymous
The study Michael is talking about found that the LCD TV's did not last as long as the DLP TV's. However, the study was paid for by TI, the company that developed DLP technology. Interesting. :)

Michael Cooper
Here is a link to the TI white paper on DLP vs. LCD reliability.

http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/images/dynamic/white_papers/153_Reliability_paper.pdf

Lots of technical stuff, put page 9 is interesting.

This paper, plus my own viewing of a "used" Sony XBR LCD that looked bad got me pretty worried about LCD degeneration.

I guess the thing that pushed me over the edge is Sony's own admission that LCD is not the best solution since it seems like they plan to dump that technology and go with their SXRD (Sony's version of LCoS) technology next year.

Does LCoS or SXRD have the same stuck pixel potential problem as LCD? It seems like it might, but I have never heard anyone mention that.

Anonymous
Michael,

I would not put too much value into the XBR800 you saw. You are talking about a model that has been at a store with the settings adjusted by how many hundreds of people. On other forums CC employees admit that the source material is not very good. That being said, I do not agree with your ending claims. Given that LCD, DLP, and LCoS models are available, does that mean it is wrong for everyone to sell CRT's? I think it would be bad if Sony, or any company, was not working on future technology. There is a SXRD front projector that costs $20,000. It will be a few years for there is a reasonably priced rear projection TV with SXRD.

Anonymous
Thanks for the info. everyone, keep it coming. To put it concretely, how would you rate the Sony 610 on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being PATHETIC and 10 being AWE INSPIRING) based on the following using DVD, HiDef and/or regular Sat (ie: DirecTV) sources...

-Color
-Clarity
-Contrast
-Brightness
-Dark Levels
-Ins/Outs
-Ergonomics/Aesthetics

Rick T
Color = 10
Clarity = 9
Contrast = 9
Brightness = 9
Dark levels = 8
Ins/outs = 9
Ergo/Aest = 10

I just took delivery of my Hitachi 60V500 today, and all I can say is WOW. We started off by watching The Matrix Reloaded then began flipping through the cable channels. The DVD (Progressive-scan player using component out) was nothing short of phenomenal. The colors on this thing are fantastic. Mine has (knock on wood) 0 bad pixels, and I was able to get the color darn near perfect just by pausing on a few colorful frames in The Lion King. Digital HD cable gets installed in 2 days, so I'll write that up once I've "played".

Only 1 thing I'm not crazy about - in unaltered 4:3 mode, the side bars are gray, not black - a bit distracting on darker movies/shows.

If anyone else has one of these and has had it professionally calibrated (or did it more scientifically than I did) I'd love to know your settings!

MM

Mac P
Hi All,

Does anyone know how much do spare bulbs for 50", 60 " WEGAs LCD and 50", 61" Samsung DLPs cost? Where can you get them?

Thanks,
Mac

My local dealer said the latest KF42WE610 (an 04 model) is improved from the previous 03 model. Does anyone have any details on this? How do you tell the difference?

I'm leaning towards a KF42WE610 but I'd rather not get stuck with the older model if his ascertion is true.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve A.
WireBrat: Interesting question about the two different model numbers. I've had my WE610 for two weeks now, and although I like it in some respects, in others I don't. This is my second HDTV in 6 weeks. The first was a Samsung DLP. Returned it after 3 weeks as the color wheel made too much noise. The Sony on the other hand is quiet. But the picture seems flatter and the colors aren't as sharp. Plus, OnDemand from Comcast doesn't work through the Sony tuner! Very strange.

I second what WireBrat asked, does anyone know how to check the different mod numbers.

Thanks

Sean Henderson
Has anyone seen the new Sony LCD (preferably the 42WE610) next to the new Philips LCoS?

Anonymous
The old model is XBR800, which I would avoid. The current models are WE610 and XBR950.

Steve A: What Sony tuner(?) does On-Demand have a problem with? Doesn't On-Demand need its own cable addressable tuner, or is it after THAT tuner the problem occurs? Which input to the TV are you using? Just looking to avoid problems myself!

Of course the Sony's quieter, it has no moving parts to produce the picture.

Steve A
You should've replaced the dlp unit, i've heard other complaints about noise from the color wheel and it shouldn't be noticable, you should be aware that sony will abandon their lcd projection technology (wonder why) in favor of LCoS. It looks as if the near future of large tv's will be in dlp & LCoS technologies, by the way LCoS should be a lot cheaper when put into mass production and should eventually edge out dlp (because of price), but for now I have yet to see a LCoS tv that I would buy, the Philips Cineos looks good when operating as it should, but seems to be the least reliable of all the new technologies (quality speaking). By the way just incase you didn't know all lcd screens have some dead pixels, it's just a side affect of lcd manufacturing, so some are expected, the ones that pass are below a certain ratio and make it to us - the consumer, most you shouldn't see unless your within 2-3 feet of the screen (way too close!), so for those of you who already have a lcd projection, if you can't see the dead pixels from 8ft. away then that's why the manufacturer probably will not replace your set.

Steve A.
Rob: I mean the built-in tuner on the TV. The Comcast cable is going into the VHF/UHF In, then coming out of the the TV's "To Converter" jack to the cable box, then from the cable box back into the AUX jack. With it connected like that, OnDemand gives a communication error message when trying to access it. All other menus work fine, TV Guide, Pay-per-view, etc. If I go directly from the wall to the cable box, then to the TV, it works fine (but I lose PIP, so that's not a good option). It also works fine if I insert a splitter at the cable line coming out of the wall and send one input to the TV VHF/UHF jack, and one to the Cable Box jack (which makes sense, but I don't want to degrade the signal any further, so I don't like that option either). The funny thing is, even though it gives a communication error, all the side adverts and the guy in the upper right hand corner speaking are all visable. Just the OnDemand menu is missing. Quite strange. It worked fine on my Samsung.

One other thing I noticed about the Sony. Even though I'm using the component cables from the cable box to the TV Video 5 input, I still have to tune the TV to AUX 3. If I don't, the sound/video are scrambled. Why would I need to set the TV Tuner to channel/aux 3 when I'm using compnent out? My DVD player is component out to the TV and it doesn't matter what channel it's on. This didn't need to be done on the Sammy.

Anyone have thoughts on this or suggestions?

Dan Victor
I have also been considering the Sony KF42WE610 and Sammy HLN437W. I have been leaning towards the Sony. Of course, retailers love to show their TVs with the best possible picture, so until this week I had only seen these units displaying DVD, HD or satellite. I finally got a CC salesman to spend an hour with me and feed the Sony a SD cable signal. It looked like crap! I can't get satellite cause I'm in an apt building. I have digital cable, and even though I can get HD there just isn't enough content to justify it at this point. I would like to buy a wide screen HD with the future in mind (and cause DVD looks so good), but since most of my viewing will be SD (at least for a while) I just can't pull the trigger on this purchase with SD looking so bad. I haven't seen the Sammy with a SD signal yet, but I don't really expect it to be any better.

Any suggestions (besides plasma)?
How are you guys dealing with this?

rob
Steve: sounds like OnDemand wants an uninterupted path. Have you tried going from cable to OnDemand to VHF/UHF In, then shunt with a cable from TO CONVERTER to AUX IN? maybe it's just using the signal, not "tuning" the second input with an outside source. (yes I may be crazy! gotta' love that "of course it's got PIP"**, **with user provided hardware) perhaps from TO CONVERTER to a VCR to AUX IN?

Anonymous
Dan,

People think the GWIII does the best with SD. Obviously it is only as good as the signal. Remember at the store it is split several times.

Mike G.
I have the KF42WE610 and comcast Digital Cable and I must say that the normal tv "SD" as you call it looks phenomenal. The picture is clear and crisp and even looks great in the widescreen mode. One thing also. I read a couple people saying that they can't justify the cost of the HD cable box because of limited programming. If you have Digital Cable already Comcast will come out and just give you and HD Cable box and take your standard digital box. THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL MONTHLY CHARGE. As far as the TV goes, I believe the KF42WE610 is head and shoulders above anything out there right now. And as far as the LCoS technology goes, they are having so many problems with it right now that it is really 1 to 2 years aways from being perfected. Go with the WE610. For the money there is nothing better out there

buyerbeware
Micheal Cooper is right. He provided a link that shows that LCDs will degrade over time(see page 9). They also get darker as time goes on. The sony and hitachi looks great now, but take a digital photo now of your sony, and after ~2500 hrs and tell me if you are still happy. I am assuming those who bought the LCD plan on using it for the next 8 yrs and were assuming that it would still look good? (ahem... and we wonder why they are going away from LCD technology...) Do you think Sammy DLP consumers will still be happy if they did the same test? Buyer beware. There is no perfect TV, everyone is just trying to get someone to drop 4gs on their TV. Why not? Even samsung makes LCDs. I do really hope for all of you that bought the LCD that you still like them in 3 years, I hope you bought the warranty(good luck with the best buy warranties). But alas, this thread was supposed to be about samsung dlp vs sony lcd, so my vote is for samsung.

I was told that the Sony 42we610 does not broadcast in true 1080i. I was told that it will receive 1080i signal, but will show it in 780p. Is this correct?

Michael Cooper
Well I know I was one that brought up the concern about long term life of LCD's and referenced the TI article about how DLP's hold up better.......but....I bought the Sony KF60WE610 because the picture looked so good in the store I just couldn't resist.

When I hooked up the set at home, I didn't have an HD converter box yet and the picture looked ok, but not great. I think it was just magnifying the relatively poor signal that I was getting.

But then Comcast came out and installed my high definition converter box and then....incredible!

You really don't appreciate high definition until you have it in your own living room. The picture on the Sony is phenominal. I think the colors are perfect. Much better than the overall green colors of the Samsung DLP. Much better colors than a Panasonic LCD, and much better sharpness and color than a Philips LCoS or RCA DLP. I really think Sony nailed it on this one.

Watching high definition broadcasts on this set is like looking through a window. You really shouldn't even call this watching "television" because it is such a different viewing experience...

The set is very quiet, and of course no rainbows because there is no color wheel.

The only negative on the set (yes none of the sets are perfect) is the black levels are not totally black. On some very dark scenes this is noticed, but if there is any reasonable about of light stuff in a scene the blacks look pure black.

As far as the long term life of the LCD panels is concerned, I got a 4 year extended warranty at Circuit City to give me some protection on that. I only use the set about 2 to 3 hours per day, so I think I should get a reasonable lifetime out of it even if the panels age.

The bottom line with me was this was the first of all of the HDTV sets that I have seen (and I have looked at them all) that finally gave me a picture that I thought was up to the level that I expected for a set that cost several thousand dollars, and the sharpness and color is so good, I am willing to take the chance on whether it lasts a long time or not.

It really is that good!

I have the Grand Wega 50 WE610, great picture and HD with direct TV (5 channels w/ built in tunner for locals for only #399) Line Decoder helps with blacks, but ive had the TV 3 weeks now and allready around 10 stuck pixels which are on green, TV about 2 go back for another. I wanted the DLP but was looking for a push either way, this TV is great, except for the dead pixels

Joe Foye
O.k. Guys, a basic question. What is your picture quality when the broadcast is not in HD? Digital broadcast yes (Time Warner) but not HD. From what I can tell, the picture is not very sharp. So, why then, would you (I) buy a HDTV, when 80% of my viewing will be in non-HD? Until more programs are broadcast in HD, why would anyone buy an HDTV? It appears to me the consumer is getting screwed.
Thanks, Joe

hi guys...just a techno girl here with the last answer to the post...my setup will allow me to make comparison of botht the GWIII 50 and most recently 60 w/Samsung TS160(DirectvHD)output in back set at 720p since native resolution is 788p for GWIII but i called SamsungUSA and they recommended to set it on 1080i which would mean the sony would do the down conversion to 788p and actually it almost looks better...espically on discoveryHD but back and forth hard to tell and a Sammy HD931(DVD)was it worth it...well...for new dvd movies..the connection makes a different but put in an old dvd and eahh...nothing to sing about...i only use the DVI-D connection(change it out when i watch DVD)ok..last question is why? well...because we are here in this forum with the united feeling of having to be on the front line of amazing technology. If you were the Joe average then you wouldnt be intrested in this and we would never hear from you. So because we are here is why we want to squeeze the most out of HDTV. as for my Directv analog feed i run it out of my SammyTS160 with SVideo Monster3 cable...fortunately the Sammy always has output power on this connection. as for the componet vs DVi-D you have to choose one or the other. the Svideo factor is best because even though it is digital with satellite the information fed from the broadcasters is still analog so feeding my tv with analog clearly clearly makes the picture look more smooth and without jaggy edges..but...when switiching to my digital connection of dvi-d you can see that the picture although jaggy is "brighter" now when watching cartoons...dvi-d is better connection but for analog type stations svideo wins...now i dont think i have to tell you that when it comes to ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX...for OTA local all four have digital tranmissons...weather or not all the shows are actually HDTV is seperate...but if you tune to the designated OTA channels in digital they show at 480p and up then again the DVI-D connection is best...only analog signals regardless of TW digital cable or Satellite Digital looks best with a analog feed...thats just my setup and i lucked out with the promo from Directv..in fact i have been with them for 3 years and football package for my husband and so ..i negotiated with the customer rention department to give me rebates which made my upgrade package only $150.00 (good luck on that one) and i have the Channel Master4228 w/preamp titan 2 for my ota hdtv channels...its a nice antenna not very big surprisingly..looks like a chicken wire 3ftx3ft square with two poles up the middle...pointing in 40 degrees to pick up all four networks..but pbs i dont get(different degree) and wb and upn...iffy...oh...anyway...after having the 50 and 60 i have decided to return the 60 and keep the 50 room size was a factor..so...bigger is not better...and PQ considering the projector was made for 42 and then the screen gets larger so the 60 definetly took a drop in pQ...from 50 and i just came from BB and saw the 42 and it was pretty dam sharp even over my 50..but very very close...my opinion go 50...its definetly not too large...in fact...i sit between 6ft-10ft away and closer the 50 looks great..also used the DVE calibration and yeah...i think it was worth 17.99(amazon) hard to navigate...but once you run through it...twice....its a walk in the park...lol...ok...oh ..no dead pixels with a once over...or two..i wont go looking a third time...screen door...yes.......my room is appropriatley lit...besides...who wants there family room always dark...real world conditions means you gotta watch tv...in normal daylight...maybe shades closed a bit...i have one window beside the tv and one french door at the end of room whoosh..sorry..its seems like a long run on sentence but i just talk fast...any questions boys????

Bill B.
Techno girl- a statement and two questions. Your husband is very lucky to have a wife interested and knowledgable of hdtv, etc. First question, is it worth spending extra for the sony sat-hd300 or is the sir-ts160 good enough? Second, are you experiencing the problem of hard to render black levels using your dvi on the hd931 and if so how did you fix this?

Joe Foye
So Kaylan, it appears you have answered my question....it's a matter of tweaking connections based on what you are watching (signals). Seems simple enough. If it's not up to what I think is of fair value, I'll just wait
until the industries (broadcasters) get off their butts and offer a full range of HD. It's all about value Kaylan. These broadcasters were given a gold mine by the Govt...and they have been way too slow in expanding HD.
Meanwhile, I'll go back to what I enjoy most.....music....on pure circuitry and clean speakers.
Thanks for the input Kaylan, Joe

by the way Joe...last i read "the fine print mandates public broadcasters but not cable therefor i am sure cable will keep up but the government has no jurisdiction over foodnetwork or mtv so they could very well continue their brand of broadcast and not be hassled...oh and bill...hmmmm GREAT REVIEWS on that Sonysathd300 great reviews...if its your money your spending and your not going with the special package offer? by the way why wouldnt you do a year contract and get with Directv..of course..no guarantee youd get the Sammy...but the sony and that zenith...rank tops actually...and my understanding is the interface on the sony...is top notch...as for..problems with the black levels...well..i knew this coming into the RPLCD game...all that stuff about "black crush" using DVI...well...sure...blacks areas...look like well..it looks flat black...but...its still better then..component and if you are that concerned then by a $125 sony progressive...or that Denon 1600 something or another cause it has great reviews too...me...i paid $250 online for the sammy...so theres not much to fix...from what i've read..???cant remember where? but...the black crush on the DvI cant be helped much...for me i can live with that...because the rest of the picture...really shines...now i guess if you went with like the MOnster Z series component on a regular progressive dvd player i guess it looks pretty good...acutally i had those cause i thought i was going to get the huges e86 and when they sent the sammy..it came with a nice thick dvi-d cable...so i returned the Z series...oh well..i guess...i simply click up the nothces when i watch dark movies..like LOTR Two Towers...thats a tuff one cause its all dark...but...hey....movies like Moulin Rouge...and well...most moives that arent shot in the dark...look great...its that...glow of light around the faces and shoulders...and around objects..that make it look more 3d...thats the difference i see when i use the dvi...oh ..you know...i waited...a year for the 3rd generation sony and i am sure youve read..this summer 2004 TExas Instruments...improved on the HD2 mustang chip...its not called HD2+ with 10 bit instead of 8 bit and...a 7th color on the segment color wheel..i think" greY" i read...it helps with more grey scaling...throws in green or something i read that the tiny mirrors have a small dimple in the middle...well the filled that dimple and its now smoother and can reflect better..which again increases contrast i think 2800:1 range...which is well..pretty dam good...oh and the filling helps with "dithering" that 7th color on the wheel..is really important...addition...anywya...you can wait till the cows come home...i mean whats a thousand dollars...if you can have it now instead of 2 years..when HD really takes hold...thats like 500 a year...60 a month...15 a week...hey...i just finished wathcing Victoria secret fashion show on CBS in HD..and it was fabulous...SURE CABLE doesnt have hd..but you know what cable shows repeats of everything from primetime...anyway..thats a stretch..but..old movies..upconverted..well..they look good..but its no...Monday night football..if its not new material shot with an HD camera...well then..its just upconverted...and thats...really nothing to compare...ok...have fun guys...man...sadly enough i wish i could hold out for a tv that did a native resolution of 1080 progressive...well one that i could afford...years from now...my tv will look like crap...ciao guys

Joe Foye
It's called value Kaylan, whether it be stocks, currencies or electronics....it's all about value. $2,700 for the Sony KF42 or a tad more for the 'sammy', no big deal. But I don't mind waiting 'for the cows to come home' for some value added...cheaper...newer tech...bigger slection of HD broadcasts...for 24 month wait? Slam dunk. I'll wait.
P.S. Time Warner cable in So. Cal. does offer 7 stations in HD

frogomentich
I took a look at the white paper by Michael R. Douglass of Texas Instruments touting the reliability of the DLP (TI mirror devices)in comparison to LCD technology. The reference was sugggested by Michael Cooper's post (Oct.27,2003)earlier in this message board (see
http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/images/dynamic/white_papers/153_Reliability_paper.pdf)

I found the comparison images on page 9 to be suspicious in that the angles of the camera (taking the screen shots) relative to the display surface were different for the DLP as compared to the LCD display. Could it be that the angle for the LCD was selected to include the glare/reflection of a strategically placed light source? Has anyone ever seen the reflected image of a window on your TV screen; you'll notice that you see the window at certain angles and not at others.

Also, if one were to believe these images then we would have to conclude that an LCD screen shows practically zero contrast (as demonstrated by the checkerboard image) after only 3300 hours of operation; this corresponds to a time interval of 2 years with an average of 4.5 hours a day of display operation. Has anyone ever witnessed an LCD screen that performs so poorly?

Last point to make is that taking snapshots of video images is not a simple and straight forward thing to do. A video image is not static, it is constantly updating information to the screen at the display frame rate, even if the actual image information (what you see)is not changing. The human eye sees a video display in a very different way then does a camera.

So be wary of comparison studies between COMPANY 'A' PRODUCTS with COMPANY 'B' PRODUCTS that are written by COMPANY 'A'.

dam it Joe...do you know how long 2 years of life is...hey all i am saying is...technology isnt cheap..."value" in todays economy is important yes...but tommorrow could be the last day...and what would life be without ever having had at least oned day of HDTV...lol..seriously its kewl...i am probably much younger then you and my husband does pay our mortgage which does leave me to spend freely and my only restriction would be my own occupational salary, so your right in stressing "value" I probably dont "value" the dollar in the same way...and believe you me...your not the only one who points this out...lol...but i figured this forum is about the ever elusive world of forefront technology and how we can all manage a piece of that pie...sure we cant all afford 60 inch quality Panasonic Plasmas...which is why they invented Rear Projection LCD. Joe...if you leaped just a bit and spent a bit more then you should spend at this moment...isnt it worth it if you have added satisfaction to your life...cause in two years from now...well...your gonna be "two years" that much older...so cant you find it in your mind to let your heart enjoy itself...there is a point in this message somewhere..and its meant in a fun harmless way...so please dont take my fun words wrongly...tv is fun...having friends over to see your HDTV is fun...HDTV football is fun...so...hard for me to figure in value... when in the next two years...how much fun...its going to bring to my household when friends and family come over..to enjoy...and laugh and ooh and ahh when i am the only chick on the block with a bad a** HD setup...know what i mean joe??? be that bad a** on the block..friend...get back with me...lol..ciao guys...

Joe Foye
Hi Kaylan. I still have not given up the thought
of purchasing a HDTV soon....that's why I asked the original question. I have already made up my mind...based on your response, that it's basically about the connections based on what you are watching..dvd / HD broadcast /analog etc. and that it's worth the try. If it does not meet my satisfaction, I'll just take the HDTV back. A little history here: My friend had purchased a Pioneer 50" elite back in March. We all gathered for the NCAA championship Basketball game, and I could not believe how crappy the picture looked. The game was on CBS, and during the game I kept thinking...this picture sucks! Obviously, based on your advise, he needs to re-examine how his system is set up (connections). Anyway Kayla, enjoyed our discussion. When I get my HDTV, I'll probably be asking for a bit of advice!
p.s. I didn't take your message as mean spirited.. .I took it as someone with a passion for the new technology

lol..ok..sorry to everyone else in this thread just trying to have some fun...i will let you guys get back with the serious business of HD info...bye joe...oh..now they say and i think i agree...not just because of the analog connections for analog signal but i have read>sorry cant site my source but this sony model itself has a very good "scaler" chip something that does very good with Standard Def..feeds...i am just pointing out that this bit of advice works and is very clearly an advantage for this system...as for that pioneer...well..thats a pretty rich luxury item...must be nice...but...probably would lack in the analog age...ok..enough said ciao

HOLY COW Kaylan! take a deep breath!

Anonymous
Does the Hitachi 60V500 have picture in picture, where you can watch two stations at once?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Kaylan, thanks for all your info, maybe I need to read more carefully.. but which TV did you like better? (I wanted to make sure I wasn't reading your post wrong)

WOW so much information here.. the reason i am looking at the kf42we610 sony set is because i want a nice looking set, but i cannot get a tv set that is deeper than 20 inches. If you all know of any other ones out there, let me know the model numbers so i can do some research on them

thanks

will haven
Kaylan is right, analog signals are best displayed using analog connections on a HDTV, I am actually going to bring home the KF50we610 this weekend, this will be my first "projection" unit, nothing so far that has come in recent years can beat the viewing ratio, contrast, brightness and clarity of a Tube TV. The picture on this badboy was pretty unbelievable when I viewed it in the store, we'll see

Chris
You guys have pretty much talked me out of the sammy, but for me I don't like the Sony either, the pixilation on fast moving screens gives me a headache for some reason, its not that bad, but the fact it gives me a headache is keeping we away. :o( (don't worry... I went back and tried watching more than once... its not too often a guy gets permission from his wife to buy a HDTV and he comes home empty handed) You guys are right, normally it looks like I am looking at a window. Does anyone know when the next generation of DLP chips are coming out, or the next generation of sammys?

Also, just an FYI, if you are looking for more HD options, go to:

www.voom.com

I don't mean to diverge from the thread topic, but at least someone is giving the HDTV owners more choice, and maybe it will force directTV and dishnet to cowboy up

Anonymous
I just purchased the WE610 - an open box deal at CC. 2500 minus 10%(mail coupon) minus 150 rebate. Should net out to $2100 - Not a bad deal for an incredible TV. As others have said, those watching a only a standard TV signal will not be very impressed. Depending on the compression of your DTV signal- you may be happy with most shows. Pop in a DVD and you will be very happy. Sign up for HDTV... and you will be amazed. It looks better than it did in the store. If you have several input sources ( I have LD, DVD, TiVo DirecTV, HDDirecTV, VCR, 8mm video camera) you will be very happy with the rear panel of this TV.
Now....
Does anyone who has the WE610 know of a way to use a remote to tune directly to the desired video input versus cycling through them all? It would be so much nicer to select one versus taking many seconds to cycle through one at a time to get what you are after.

will haven
not bad anonymous, good deal, unfortunately this inability to switch directly to the input you want is still a minor problem.

On a separate note, has anyone used the WE610 with an XBOX? do the games that support 480p really fill the entire screen without any vertical or horizontal "black bars."?

Anonymous,
The Harmony remotes can be programmed to switch directly to the video input you want. I have a sammsung DLN5065, not the Sony, but the IR commands are basically the same. I can switch easily between DVD, Sat, PC etc, just by selecting an 'activity' on the remote. FYI, I looked at the WE610 IR commands on the Harmony web site and could see each IR input command - InputNEXT, InputRGB1,2 et al, your TV supports. So your TV allows direct input selection but your Sony remote may not.

Anonymous
I bought the Sony 42WE610 kept it for two weeks and exchanged it for the Sammy HLN437W. I felt the Sony was overly bright with no shadow detail in dark scenes. I didn't realize how much so until I visited a friends house and viewed his DLP. The lack of detail in the dark scenes was my biggest complaint with the Sony. The Sony's colors are very vibrant and lend themsleve quite well to animated movies. However, IMO the Sammy, has a more natural picture from top to bottom; at least to my eyes.

Hey, I've been reading all these posts and have seen that some of you have asked the question on how much it costs to replace a bulb on a LCD or DLP television, I work for circuit city and my brother is a store manager for circuit city from what i've heard from sony and samsung and hitachi, is that on the 42-50" models is that the bulb will go for anywhere from 6000-8000 hours, which seems like a lot, but do the math. and the bulb on the 60" will last 4000-6000 hours, and cost ranging from 400-600$ Same on the DLP. Personally i dont like the DLP, we have the samsung 50" dlp and the hitachi 50" LCD, Panasonic 50" LCD, the 60" sony XBR LCD and the 50" and 42" sony LCD on display with directv high definition going on. Personally if you look at the Hitachi compared to the sony, hitachi's give you more color, more hue, etc...the sonys give you a much brighter picture, but the brightness seems to degredate when you go larger. I work at circuit city and would reccomend you shop there, because we do have our 30 day return policy WITH NO RESTOCKING fees like some of our competitors ;) so if you're not completely satisfied, return it. Also, our protection plan is a great plan, much better than our competitors, if you lose your reciept with some of the other guys, you're SOL on your extended plan. with us, we keep it in the computer, and you call an 800 and we come out to your house. it's a great plan and it's well worth it on the DLP's and the LCD's. if you have any questions give me an email at protegeracing@comcast.net

Username: Benito

Post Number: 1
I have a new 56-inch Samsung DLP. Although it is not yet hooked to Comcast digital, the picture looks quite good under all light coniditions and from all angles. LCD projection is nothing like LCD flat panels, of course, and it seems me to lack the dark tones and contrast of the DLP. Unlike a plasma set, there's no burn-in risk nor the plasma's gradual (and unfixable) loss of picture quality.

Either the LCD or DLP projection would have been OK, but the LCD boxes all had speakers on the sides which makes them wider. In my corner, I can use either the 56" Samsung or a 50" Sony LCD, so that was a deciding factor.

L r Gibb
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased the KF-42we610 sony . The TV crapped out with no picture and no sound . Called customer service and got someone in India who did not have a clue . The TV is going back and I will look for somethng else . As with every else the HD was great but analog was horrible .

bloodzombie
Unregistered guest
I was just browsing through, and wanted to mention something that seems to be a real issue for some people.

stuck pixels are not a big deal. everyone freaks out "WHAT IF I GET A TV AND IT HAS A STUCK PIXEL?!". don't worry about it. there's 1.3 million pixels or something like that, if one is stuck, you won't see it from more than a couple feet away.

A few people have reported problems of a cluster of stuck pixels, then you can see a dot at regular viewing distance.. then you send it back to the store and get a new one.

I have a hitachi 50v500 and if I get right up in front of the screen with a white background, I can probably count about 10 pixels that are stuck pale green, and if you buy one, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll have at least a couple, but there's no way that you'll see them from the couch.

Bill Moyer
Unregistered guest
I have a question regarding dvi dvd players with these two units. Guy at CC told me the path was all digital with the sammy, so no analog conversion noise. But with the Sony, there was some analog conversion. Why wouldn't the Sony be all digital with the dvi? Is the CC guy telling me the truth or just pushing the sammy? Thanks

Anonymous

I was considering the sony we610 until I watched some hockey highlights. When I saw the puck disappear on a slapshot, my dreams of HDTV in 2003 were history.

If you are in to sports check this out. The LCD's also gave me a headache.

will haven
Unregistered guest
well it has been almost a month and so far so good with the KF50WE610. I went from a KV36FS100 to this and couldn't be happier. I got this bad boy for the cost of the KF42WE610!! XBOX looks great even with the games that don't list 480p as a feature still automatically adjust to fit the widescreen, awesome! Quality cables do make the difference and is not a myth, also invest in a noise reducer for your electrical outlets.

was WILL HAVEN

RobW
Unregistered guest
Bill Moyer: I've seen and heard information say exactly that for the Sony, digital-analog-digital=DVI path. Can't speak for the sammy.

Rick
Unregistered guest
After reading everyone's comments on Hdtv/LCD/DLP/digital/analog........I think I am going stop watching TV alltogether and start reading books.

Anonymous

After much research on LCOS, LCD and DLP I bought the HLN617W. For those of you that are curious and on the fence about the technologies, my initial impressions (after 2 days) are as follows:

1.Ordinary NTSC signal from cable is as good as or better than my old CRT.

2.Color wheel nor fan are excessively noisy. I have to cut sound off to hear the fan.

3.I tried the PC connection, playing a DVD. My connection to the TV was through a SVGA cable.
(I have a DVI cable on order and a progressive scan DVD player with DVI). Picture was very good, not excellent, but very good.

4. There is a slight green tint in some of the scenes from cable. I did not see any flaws with the color from the DVD. I have a HDTV calibration disk that hopefully will clear up any green tint issues.

5. No noticeable rainbow effects, so I guess I am lucky I am not prone to the effect.

The only adjustments I have made yet are to change the color to "cool 1" and lower the contrast to about 75%.

Overall I am very satisfied so far, but I realize the new HD2+ and HD3 chips are due out soon. From order to delivery was 6 months, using two different vendors.

Anonymous

I love my Sammy DLP 56 inch. Here's a shot of Discovery HD...

Jason K
Unregistered guest
I recently bought the Sony KF 42We610, and am experiencing a little bit of a blurry picture through direct tv (not HDTV). I notice it most on channels with tickers on the bottom, it seems the white bleeds into the rest of the screen. Some channels are great, and some are not so great. A tech is supposed to come out and look at it, but I was curious if it's just something I'll have to deal with?
Are there any adjustments I can make to make it look better?
Also, I notice on some sporting events the players faces are not clear. Any suggestions?
I am using monster s-video cables from the digital box to the TV.

Thanks

RobW
Unregistered guest
Jason K: some pictures good some not, is typical of analog TV signals, I get the same. You state "(not HDTV)" and "digital box" (a digital box would be HDTV).
Bottom line, s-video input won't do justice on your tv, you need to use the component or DVI inputs with a true HDTV signal.

If you have a DVD player hooked to it, find one with the THX optimizer and run thru those adjustment, it may help, but I run my TV programs brighter than the movie settings.

Jason K
Unregistered guest
RobW - thanks for the reply
Digital Satellite Box is what I meant to say.
Actually, most of the channels are blurry, so hopefully the tech can adjust it.

Joe F
Unregistered guest
Jason. What you are experiencing is the current 'problem' with HDTV's. Many telecasts not taped in HD WILL NOT come in clearly. The picture will not be sharp. You will get some improvement if you view NON-HD material through composite video hookup. You can then switch to your component video hookup for viewing HD programs. Don't listen to what anyone says.....blurry / lack of sharpness in telecasts not taped in HD is a fact.
I recently returned my Sony....until more programs are taped in HD, I'll wait. For me, 80% of my viewing is in NON HD, so why spend the $$ now? These TV's should be cheaper soon...once everyone figures out that no one is in a hurry to tape in HD!!

elmago
Unregistered guest
Is there a fix available for Hitachi 50v500 LCD rear projection TV? My cooling fan is noisy but I love the picture too much to return it to the store yet. Looking for a solution.

Unregistered guest
hello could you pleasetell me what do you find better a dlp rptv or a lcd rptv your help would be so greatly appreciated.

Altra
Unregistered guest
I am debating the Sony KF-42WE610 and the Samsung HLN467W. Wife likes the Sammy, I'm a Sony man through and through. Only problem I have with the Sony is that it doesn't have an SVGA connection for my laptop. (Online gaming in 42 inches sounds great...) Both pictures looked good to me, the thin silver frame on the Samsung was striking. I'm torn here...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us