Question on Samsung 120 Hz & HD - HELP!!

Username: Inopethflames

Post Number: 4
i thought i posted this once but i dont see it on the list, so anyway:

i just got a new tv: Samsung - 52" 1080p 120Hz Flat-Panel LCD HDTV, the 650 series, its like their 2nd newest or something, but anyway my question is:

i have direct tv & with this tv can now set it to 1080p. when i press info on the tv it brings up the time and it says the resolution which is like 1920 x 1080i. so i dont know why it says 1080i when i set the directtv hd dvr to 1080p. i dunno if theres something on the actual tv i need to change, or if it is actually 1080p but just showing up in the info as 1080i because on the hddvr the highest like notification light on the dvr is for 1080i but if 1080p is capable you can select that just in a menu on the dvr, which i did. i know thats a little confusing.

the other thing is that with this tv the best thing is supposed to be the 120 htz instead of 60 htz. when i press the info button it says time, resolution, then it also says 60 htz. there is a hertz setting on the tv where u can turn it to off, low, medium, or high. no matter which of these settings i set it to and whether the tv is on an hd channel or not, it has always said 60 htz.

since this tv's main big feature is the 120 htz i wanna make sure im utilizing this. does anyone know what to do? also i was watching a non hd channel last night with the htz set to medium and it was like the show was slightly in fast forward, then when i turned off the htz part it was normal.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW, FL

Post Number: 10384
Whats happnin Brian?:-)

I too have the 650 series, only in the 46" model.
The reason you arent seeing the 1920 x 1080p is bc i am pretty sure no tv service provider actually broadcasts true 1080p signals. i could be wrong, but i beleive they all broadcast 1080i and your receiver(set top, box, etc.) upconverts it to 1080p. so the tv naturally displays the input it receives.

the 120hz feature is WAYYYYY overadvertised. the best features on the set you and I own are that is has amazing blacks for an LCD, and that is had a 4 millisecond response time, and that it accepts 24p inputs(how it displays them i'm not sure, there is a big debate on the # of hz the processor converts it to, but it definitely smooths the picture on film-based sources w/o it looking cartoonish like the 120hz processing is known to do.)

i find it odd that the tv displays only 60hz when watching tv. i could be wrong but i believe you have to set up the picture for every input you use. i mean to say you can setup different setting in the menu for each input you use like Blu-ray for HDMI 1 and PC for Hdmi 2, PS3 or Xbox for Hdmi 3 etc. etc. so you might have to go in and check it when you switch sources.

i have only had the tv for a week but i have already decided the 120hz feature isnt what makes this set so beautiful. it makes movies look cartoonish and distracts you from what you are watching by making things look unreal or like you said like thet are moving in slight fast forward with no blur.

Post Number: 5
i did notice you have to set up each input manually but i did setup the tv input & my ps3 input so the 60/120hz issue isnt because of that. maybe possibly there is some feature that i havent done yet that i need to switch on or something.

muddy - do you have your tv set to have the "DNIe" - Digital Natural Image Engine, on? maybe that has to be turned on for the 120 hz to be activated. although if you have noticed the slight 'fast-forwarding' type image too, maybe my tv is doing the 120hz thing and its just not showing up when u press the info button. i dunno. i think for that slight fastforwarding thing it may be something you get used to & itll look normal then if you view a different tv it would actually look worse since your used to the 120hz. it seems so far just noticeable more on non-hd & something maybe like a drama where its close up people talking. i havent noticed any 'fastforwarding' on the nba games ive watched.

Platinum Member

FTW, FL

Post Number: 10387
i have seen the option for DNIe on this tv and my previous Samsung 32"...but it has always been greyed out as if you cant select it. not sure why. might have something to do with the input. i mean to say maybe you cant turn it on when using HDMI or other HD sources. not sure, i'll have to research that one. :-)

Post Number: 6
the DNIe thing is only available when you set the picture setting to dynamic, i think it is. i did that and it didnt change the 60/120 hz notification thing but if you do turn on the dynamic u need to adjust the settings because its too bright otherwise. i just set the settings to the same basically as the 'standard' settings that i had adjusted. i think its probably better to turn on dynamic and then be able to utilize that dnie, however much that actually does, who knows. but i have it on now. one thing i will say is that i saw that mr potatohead commercial from the superbowl, and it looked absolutely incredible.

i wonder like what percentage of people never adjust the picture settings that come preset in the tv. the default settings are so not even close to being good i bet tons of people are watching their tvs with far less than optimal settings. i wouldnt be suprised if 70-75% of people dont even know about the picture settings.

Platinum Member

FTW, FL

Post Number: 10389
actually. to the untrained eye all of those picture setting make the picture look very lively and vivid and sharp. but in reality it is RUINING the source image and thus taking away from the true colors and effects that the film-makers intended to capture.

the dynamic setting is about the absolute Worst setting you can have your tv on. it JACKS the brightness and contrast way up and makes the colors stand out unrealistically, but your eyes like the color saturation and your brain says "looks good".i have everything turned off as far as EXTRA processing done to the picture.

HDMI black level - off
Dynamic contrast - off
Picture mode - standard(need to google the rec'd settings)
120hz - off
edge enhancement - off
all that stuff does more and more to the picture to make it look "better" when in reality it is simply overprocessing the picture to trick the human eye into thinking it is seeing a superior picture.

you can google edge enhancement and DNIe and find some pretty interesting articles.

the thing that hacks me off the most about 120hz is that is isnt actually refreshing the image that fast, it is simply motion processing....another engine tacked on to make the image look smoother. baloney!

the one thing i DO like about my new tv is the 24p input. i am not sure EXACTLY what it does, but it changes the refresh rate(might be processing) to take some of the judder out of film-based sources on a 60hz display(film is recorded in 24fps) and makes them look smooth like when you are watching them on the big screen. The Blu Ray player sends it the 24p signal and the tv just displays it, but it looks amazing!

Post Number: 7
a problem im having now is that for some reason i cant set my ps3 to 1080p, when i do that, either the screen will look like it has a bunch of colored snow, then go back to the ps3 screen, or sometimes the actual tv will say mode not supported. i have no idea how that is since i know this tv is 1080p. then tonight it actually got set up but then after i finished playing a game and was on the ps store, i was getting the colored snow, then back to the screen, then snow, then screen, so i just set it back to 1080i. i dunno if possibly my ps3 hdmi cable is only capatible for 1080i.

also, u know if you dont have the 120hz thing on, u might as well exchange ur tv for the 60hz model because the store people were saying the main cause of the higher price for this tv is the 120hz thing. i agree that if u leave the default dynamic setting on, its way too bright, but i adjusted it, along with all the other settings.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10391
i disagree with you on taking the tv back bc i dont like the way 120hz looks. the tv costs more bc it is built better and has superior technology/hardware than previous models and subsequent models beneath it. the 120hz issue is dismal. the fact that the tv reproduces some of the darkest/truest blacks of any LCD manufactured today according to Cnet and several other websites justifies the price to me among several other specifications.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 605
Can I jump in here for a minute? It is not 24p it is 1080p/24fps (film) as opposed to 60fps (video). 1080p/24fps is only available on Blu-ray disc for play back. HD TV comes in two forms 720P (Fox, ABC, Disney, and ESPN) everyone else uses 1080i. Your DirecTV can only put out these two formats for HD so you will never see 1080P in the info. You must have a PS3 game that will do 1080P for this to work for games, not all games can do this. Muddy you are correct to be turning off all those picture enhancements including DNLe. Having your TV calibrated by a pro can cost $300-500(Image Science Foundation) but that is the very best way to get the best picture. You can buy a calibrating DVD like Digital Video Essentials and do it your self but even someone knowledgeable of this disc can only do a half way job because you can not enter the factory setting area.

Post Number: 8
dont you think though for the ps3 you would be able to set it to 1080p if your tv is compatible for that and have normal reception/stable reception but only games capable of 1080p would actually be shown in 1080p & everything else would be 1080i or whatever. but i mean you change the settings in the ps3 menu, not in the actual game, so you should be able to set your ps3 up for 1080p and have the picture come through normally. my brother has a different tv & different hdmi cable for his ps3 and didnt have any problems changing his ps3 to 1080p. i think it is some problem with this specific tv judging from a thread on like cnet.com where a lot of people were complaining of 1080p connection problems with their ps3 & this tv.

i still dont know why when watching like a hdtv channel it is showing up as 60hz rather than 120hz when i have the 120hz setting on either medium or high. i am thinking it is probably some kind of different measurement which doesnt directly have to do with the 120hz thing. like the 120hz thing is on but this 60hz thing that shows up in the info is like something a little different, i dunno for sure though.

i dont watch a lot of blurays but as more ps3 games & blurays are able to use the 1080p i want to make sure that i can use that on my ps3/tv.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10392
i know its not 24p as opposed to 720 or 1080. but it is easier to type 24p(that is what the tv companies call the acceptable input) when talking about the FILM mode that the 24p designates then saying 1080p/24fps.

from what i have found most of the tv's that have this revert the refresh rate to 72hz. which is a multiple of 24 so that it still reserves the look of film..yadda yadda, everybody has a different explanation for it. :-)

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10393
my tv says 1080p on both Blu-ray and my xbox 360.

it even designates whether i have the 24p input on by saying 1920 x 1080 @ 24hz. as opposed to 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz.

i too have noticed it not showing the 120hz once you turn it on, but if you turn it on and see it working...why would it matter? just enjoy your tv:-)

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 609
From SAmsung web site
Setup Issues > Why Does the Info Screen on My New 120Hz TV Show 60Hz Even After I Turn On Auto Motion Plus?
The information on your TV is showing what is being fed into the TV not what the TV is displaying. If you turn on the Auto Motion Plus (120Hz) you are seeing 120Hz.
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/support.do?group=televisions&type=tele visions&subtype=lcdtv&model_nm=LN52A650A1F&dType=D&mType=UM&vType=R&prd_ia_cd=02 010100&acc_ia_fl=&disp_nm=LN52A650&model_cd=LN52A650A1FXZA&menu=troubleshooting
Look at the page for trouble shooting.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10394
there you have it. :-)
so, technically...you will never see it display 1920 x 1080 @ 120hz because no hardware sends 120hz signals yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us