HDTV + VCR/DVD combo = black screen. Please help!

Username: Ahunter

Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
I have a brand new 37LG30 TV and don't need a digital converter. My VCR is a VCR/DVD combo - Zenith. It's around 3 years old.

Feb 17, after the DTV transistion, I just rescanned my TV and am now getting all the HD channels both from my rooftop antenna and my satellite dish. (I alternate antenna in the summer and satellite in the winter)

The problem is the my VCR no longer works at all with any of the digital channels. When I turn it on, I get a black screen and "No signal" sign. This happens with both antenna and satellite.

My antenna cable is in the "antenna in" jack on my VCR. The other cable is plugged into my "Antenna out" on the VCR and goes to my "antenna in' jack on the back of my TV, as it always has.

Both DVD and VCR will work if I tune to one of the old analog stations, which now have no programming except "How to Convert" instructions.

Do I need a new DVD player/recorder?

Please help. I'm not very savvy about electronics and this driving me nuts. Thank you!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4087
Your VCR isn't capable of receiving digital channels. You can either buy a digital converter box for $10-$30 with the government coupons or buy a DVD recorder with ATSC tuner.

Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2
Thank you so much! I couldn't get a definitive answer anywhere else.

A guy at the electronics store told me there was no reason it wouldn't work.

Quebec Canada

Post Number: 3
ONe more question, please..can you tell me if this is what I need?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10100846&catid=2 2226&logon=&langid=EN

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4089
I didn't see where you are the first time. The digital switch is in the U.S. only. Unless you are receiving U.S. channels, it shouldn't affect you.

I don't see anything about tuners on that page. If you're getting U.S. digital channels, you'll need a U.S. model DVD recorder. Canada isn't going digital and doesn't sell recorders with ATSC tuners, unless they are U.S. imports.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us