External Tuner for Proscan Analog TV

Username: Hhyatt37664

Kingsport, TN United States

Post Number: 1
I have a RCA Proscan TV which has a tuner failure. The Video is good through the RCA composite inputs. I'd like to get a few more miles out of the thing if I could get a reasonably priced external tuner.

I've seen several on TigerDirect and Amazon for about $40+, but they seem to be primarily for use with a computer -- the cable to connect to the TV/Monitor is VGA. Does anyone know of a device that will work for me?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4081
Are you using an antenna or cable?

Post Number: 2
I am using cable. I suppose I could rent a cable box from Charter -- I think they charge about $5/mo for a box that doesn't have PVR functions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4082
Use a VCR tuner and the line outputs to the TV.

Post Number: 3
I don't have a VCR that I can use. I was looking for a cheap temporary solution. I'll likely buy a new TV when I can find the best deal for it. Maybe newer VCR's are cheap enough to use tuner only. I'll check prices. But after thinking about it, the cable box from Charter might be my best bet.

The TV has the RF input which isn't working or drops out when the set warms up (likely a cold solder joint in the tuner circuit) and TV1 and TV2 inputs. I have a computer with video capture card connected to TV1 and can record 2 shows at a time on it. But it would be good to be able to use a 3rd input if I wanted.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4083
Look at a thrift store, they practically give away VCRs these days. The only new VCRs are combos and they don't have a tuner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us