New TV Suggestions & hdmi question! HELP!!

Username: Inopethflames

Post Number: 1
i need to get a new tv between 45-60 inches so i was wondering if anybody had suggestions on the best ones, that arent incredibly expensive, and also does anyone know a good site that reviews or compares tvs, or the best messageboard site for home theatre/television, other than this one?

also the tv needs to have at least 2 hdmi inputs but id prefer more, but does anyone have an idea on about how much each extra hdmi input adds to the price of a tv? thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4071
I doubt you could find a TV that size with less than 2 HDMI inputs. Average is 3-4 these days.

Post Number: 2
yah i know most/all new tvs have at least 2 hdmi slots but it just seems like a 45-52 inch tv will cost around like 1500-2000 at 1080p but then with 4-5 hdmi plus im sure other things the cost goes to like 3500.

i havent done much researching yet but this tv seems to be getting great reviews & its $700 off at best buy right now although that might change starting tomorrow, hopefully not, but this is the tv:

Samsung - 52" 1080p 120Hz Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Model: LN52A650 | SKU: 8749287

its $2k right now & has great customer reviews.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12389
CNet has good reviews, and look at the 58" Plasma Panasonic TH58PZ800U
Use Froogle.com or Pricegrabber to find a good price on it.

Editor's Choice awards for best plasma set.
The only thing equal or better is the Pioneer Kuro set at twice the cost.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4072
I'm definitely in the plasma camp too. If you're looking at LCDs in a store, what they look like in a well lit showroom and what they look like in a house usually isn't the same thing.

If the TV is going to be in a bright room or a room with a window opposite the TV that lets in a lot of light and you're going to watch TV during the day, LCD may be the way to go. If your environment isn't overly bright, look at Panasonic plasmas. They give a lot more bang for the buck and don't have all the picture drawbacks of LCD that you may not see in a well lit showroom but you will see in a darker room.

Post Number: 3
does anybody own that panasonic plasma tv? i read some reviews on bestbuy.com and there were multiple reports of it having something wrong with the power supply & that it would stop working after 6-12 months, so that would make me very wary of getting that tv.

also the samsung model i had mentioned has gone back up by $700 to its original price at bestbuy so maybe there is a cheaper spot somewhere on the net.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4073
Are you reading reviews of the 70 or 80 series? The 70 series 1080p TVs had power supply problems, I think it was fixed in the 80 series.

I have the 720p 50" and last year's 720p 42", I've had no problems with either of them.

If you're looking at a 50", it will save a bundle over the 58". Unless you're going to sit very close, you won't see a difference between 720p and 1080p at 50". The only 1080p source you're going to have for the foreseeable future is Dish Network on demand and Blu-ray, if it even stays around, it's not doing very well. The 720ps run cooler, don't suck as much power and don't have power supply problems.

If you're looking at getting the 58", make sure the reviews are the 80 series and not the 70 series which did have PS problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us