Big Noob Question

Username: Urbanguevara

Post Number: 1
Ok, I'll start with an apology for my noobness. I have combed through the past forums and have come up with bits and pieces of info.

Basically up to this point I have been a "model citizen" in regards to my television signal acquisition. With the current economy though and the fact that I shell out over a grand a year to my cable company I am looking for an alternative. I recently visited two of my local satellite sales stores and got info on my available options.

They both said that with regards to dependability, and quality the best route to go would be DNET and not the HD FTA system that I originally went in to ask about. They said that I could get a high def system (sat, rec, single tuner(whatever that is), and pgrming) for about $700.

First of all is this a good price? Second of all, the programming fee of 50/90days is a bit confusing to me? (exactly what am I paying for?) and third and most importantly what happens if this store closes up? Would I just find someone else?

Anyway I again apologize for the simplicity of my questions. Any info or at least a point in the right direction would be appreciated. I just don't want to go out and spend almost a grand and regret doing so 3 months down the line. I'm in Canada by the way.

Bronze Member
Username: Joel16

Post Number: 42
I would start simple and see if you like FTA.

Dish and LNB to pick up FTA. Something like this > Ebay Item number: 250362848843 $69

Then a Viewsat receiver like this > Ebay Item 160310417295 $102

These Items some cable and This site to find the latest software downloads will get you over 500 channels of programing from Echostar 7 and Echostar 10. With no other fees.

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 7204
Robert Goulet
Are you from Quebec?

Post Number: 2
I'm from Ontario actually. I'm FC though so have lots of family spread though Quebec. Why do you ask?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 7205
Your name sound like french, i'm from Quebec city.

Post Number: 3
Well I'm french indeed. There aren't alot of us here in southern Ontario though. I miss QC. Haven't been there in years. Was in Montreal this past summer though and I'm hoping to get up to Lac Perdu for Moose next year:-)

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 7206
Welcome on Ecoustics Robert
If you need help ask for me.

Here is a good Canadian reseller:

http://www.worldwidesatellites.com/catalog/location.php

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 7207
Direct link:
http://www.worldwidesatellites.com/catalog/location.php

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the link, the advice and the warm welcome.

Post Number: 5
Actually Plymouth I do have a question. What is the picture quality out of the non-HD receivers out there? Do any non-HD receivers have component or HDMI output?

I only ask as the output that I've seen from a friends FTA (not sure make or model)was very grainy on a 40' LCD. His receiver only had a standard video out and not component.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 7213
Robert
Most SD(standard definition) receiver have componant, HDMI is available on HD.

I have a viewsat Ultra on a 61" and it depend which channel you select, if you select Discovery which is in HD, the quality is very good on SD but some channels are very bad, PPV is good.
Note that SD channels on a HD receiver will not give better picture.
A Captain 8000 on video output is very very bad, but on componant it OK not more.

Conclusion: if a channel is bad it will be bad with a HD receiver.

Ho SD is 544 x 480.

For now don't buy a expensive receiver without know if N3 can be broken or wait 1 or 2 months, Dn start to switch on N3 now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us