Archive through December 19, 2008

Silver Member
Username: Edenney

Post Number: 159
Kevin,

I'm sorry to hear that you felt your best option was to take such a crummy offer, but each person has to make their own decision and do what's right for their individual circumstances.

FYI, it's common knowledge that Sony actively monitors this message board. A number of people here, including myself, have been contacted by Sony executives privately in response to posts we've left here. Unfortunately they don't contact people that are merely unhappy with this inexcusable situation (that would be virtually every person that posts here), they only contact people that are having a specific support issue, and even then it's fairly rare.

For better or for worse, Sony Support is acutely aware of the complaints discussed on this board, although you'd never know it from the way they've handled things. I'm quite sure it was in no small part due to the discussions here that Sony finally came to grips with the magnitude of the OB problem, and realizing that the public was acutely aware of the DEFECTIVE design, coupled with the growing likelihood of a class action lawsuit, they finally implemented the extended OB warranty for some models (should've be all models that used that OB design). I'm also sure it's largely due to the discussions here and the growing number of letters the ERC was receiving as a result, that they started offering an upgrade path to the LCD TVs.

Username: Gamester5

Post Number: 1
I am just now finding this web site and it has a wealth of information I was unaware of.

Has anyone reported any issues with the KDS-R60XBR2 60"? I have not seen any but I see they are on the list of problem sets.

Username: Ttx

Post Number: 6
All Sony is doing now is antagonizing the customers who spent several thousand dollars buying the 3LCD Rear Projection TVs series.

These unhappy Sony customers will vote with their wallets the next time they consider buying electronic items.

At this point, Sony should have admitted there was a design issue with ALL 3LCD Rear Projection TVs.
Then Sony should provide a 5-year-from-purchase-date warranty to ALL affected owners.

Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 3
Okay, update again on the problems I am having dealing with Sony cust svc and getting my defective KDF60XBR950 fixed.

Right after I last posted that I finally found my receipt, the lamp blew. So it is true for us as well that the OB follows the lamp in going out.

From reading this thread and other msg boards, we are fully expecting the blue to start expanding at an accelerated rate after we put in the new lamp. We already have a smaller tv in front of the paperweight the Sony has become and it is a letdown each time we have to turn on the little one, which only takes up a little corner of the 60" tv behind it.

I really like the post by Brendon on Nov 17 that explained, "The blue LCD panel in this case is closest to the lamp, with the associated orange color filter adjacent to it. I noticed that the color filter appeared oxidized towards the middle of the surface, most likely a result of the extreme heat coming from the nearby lamp. I believe that this disintegration of the orange coating would allow MORE blue light into the prism, resulting in a bluer picture." I guess they can send a man to the moon, but Sony can't invent a heat proof clear coat. It would be so nice if they could replace just this one defective filter.

Anyway, another post mentioned the lamp access door recall so I felt I should investigate that further since it applied to my model and I wanted to cover all bases on what might need to be fixed on the tv. I had noticed the recall earlier on Sony's site, but there was no explanation of the symptoms, anything, so I didn't know if we had that problem as well. Why so coy, Sony? Well, from searching the internet, it seems we have this problem too and probably everyone who owns our tv does, so they don't want to have to fix this as they don't want to fix the OB defect? Who knows why Sony is being so sh*tty and evasive about these tv defects.

For those that are wondering, here are our symptoms on the warped access door. Every now and then, actually to the point where I know where we keep the screwdriver that fits the screws on the lamp access door, the tv won't turn on, just blinks green and red lights, and we have to remove the access door and go thru the steps to reset it and get the thing to turn on again. (The tv thinks it needs to be reset because someone has opened the access door, except no one has.) It doesn't always turn on the first time and each time I think it will never turn on again, so I get myself all pumped up with positive vibes and do a little prayer that it will come on again. That is how scary the problem is.

ANYWAY, to confirm the problem, my hub is going to take pics, of any burned up areas and wires, when we get in there to replace the lamp which was supposed to be here yesterday. Soon after, I can send my letter off to Sony with receipt copy, pic copies, msg board copies and other attachments and cc's listed (with address, phone and all info for each party to see), so all the info is there for Sony, or any Court in the future, and in one pkg. In Court, the judge usually only listens to each party explain their case, taking their documentation and getting back to them later on their decision. So it may seem like I am taking too much time putting this letter together, but in the end, it will actually save time being in one pkg I can give the Judge who usually appreciates such a neat, concise pkg.

In Court, I will probably have to settle for a monetary amount but, from Sony, I just want everything fixed plus a warranty with all the bells and whistles for 10 years from my date of purchase, the time I expected my tv to last. I think this is the LEAST Sony can do. And if I have to get a new tv, I won't be settling for less than the size I have now. Sony can suck it up and replace my tv with one as big or bigger and as good or better. I can't believe the way they are making their problem everyone else's.

I think they think they can get away with this because of those taking them up on their offers of barely a discount on a new tv. If above posts are correct, if they shopped around they would find the tv for less than what Sony is offering! Every time someone takes a crummy deal from Sony obviously it hurts others in their efforts to get what is fair and reasonable. It is too bad others are in circumstances that prevent them from thinking of this greater good.

Finally, I want to add what some others have been saying. I bought the first Sony VAIO notebook computer and one of the first high end DVD recorders from Sony after I bought my tv, the best Sony offered at the time, and always got someone concerned on the phone if I had any problems with any of those products. One of the reasons I paid extra for Sony products is because of this expectation, that I wouldn't have to put up with cheap, blow you off cust svc.

Sony's recent crummy cust svc has been unexpected as well as upsetting. Defective products AND crummy cust svc? What are they thinking. I have no reason to buy from them again.

Username: Rwhitfie

Post Number: 2

Tuesday December 9, 1:24 pm ET
By Yuri Kageyama, AP Business Writer
`Back at square one' -- Sony to cut 8,000 electronics jobs, close plants.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081209/as_japan_sony.html

Username: Fechmupbud

Post Number: 7
Lisa,

As I stated above earlier, I am one of the one's who took the crummy deal and am ruining it for the greater good. I am a busy person and don't have the time (or frankly, the desire) right now to take Sony to court over this... I'd rather spend that time with my father, who is in stage 4 of esophageal cancer, or do ANYTHING else.

You stated that if I shopped around, I could probably find a better deal than what they are offering. That is retarded, Period. The reason ANYONE is on this site is because they do their homework and basically have been led here. This is a community of people who do their homework. Incidentally, the 52w4100 is going for $2099 with free shipping right now. I'm sure there is one somewhere for 50 bucks less, or stolen or whatever, but who cares? Since the deal they offered me ended next Tuesday, I had to make a decision. I was one of the first callers to receive the newer, crappier offer since I called December 2. There was really no way of me knowing I would receive an offer $550 more than previous offers - add to that the fact that I had two weeks to make a decision. I'm banking (or hoping) that this tv will actually operate the way it was intended for 10 years or more. I'm not satisfied with my deal of $1308, but at this point I'll take what I can get. It's a little like the stock market, you never know when the market will bottom out or peak... so I'll take what I can get before the Dec 31 deadline. (= nothing) If Sony reads this, they'll know I've got another 40 years of electronics buying that I'll look elsewhere on. I also want Sony to know that I've made about 6 phone calls to friends/family who have rear projection LCD's and informed them of the problem as well as any deadlines. I figured I was helping friends and screwing Sony in the same call.

HEY SONY... I just took my 6.0 diesel F350 into Ford today for service. I mentioned an issue that I noticed and from that I'm getting thousands of dollars of work done under a 100,000 mile warranty. Ford recognized their weaknesses with EGR valves, injectors, and turbos and makes things right. (I have another site that I log in to for help with my truck... more homework getting done for me.) Ford is also giving me a loaner for a trip that I leave for on Wednesday. That's customer service... I'll buy another Ford Pickup, but I can't wait to buy a Samsung LCD for the bedroom wall. I'm also going to buy a KENWOOD dvd/navigation head unit for my truck. I'm done with Sony I believe. I hate saying it, but I think I have to.

I must say Lisa, your post rubbed me the wrong way. About as much as Sony has. I'm sure going to court is great for some, but for me... I've got a job that asks 55 -- 60 hours a week, a home to maintain and improve, a boat that needs to be pulled and winterized, Christmas Shopping to do, Christmas decorating to do for that matter, a father to take care of, my father's house to take care of, and guess what??? I have HOBBIES. I like to hunt and fish among everything else under the sun. I'd rather take the crappy deal than deal with court personally. I guess that's the value I assign to my free time... Sony knows they've messed up, and I don't have that much faith in the court system in this instance... Nowhere in the book of life is there a rule that states that any tv I buy MUST last 10 years. I don't want to deal with high paid lawyers and judges who may or may not be in bad moods. If you do, great, let me know how that works out for you. And let me know if all your time spent gets reimbursed in your judgment at your normal hourly billing rate. I can't believe I'm even taking the time to respond to your post, but that just goes to show how annoyed I am. You worry about you and I'll worry about me.

Post Number: 4
KB - TMI. Must have hit a nerve. Truth hurts. Back off and deal. Your energy should be going toward Sony not another poster who is just stating facts.

Username: Fechmupbud

Post Number: 8
You write an entire page above and you're telling me about TMI??? All I was doing was giving reasons to justify my decision, which, apparantly I needed to do since your infinite wisdom did not warrant my decision to be justifiable.

Your "truth" is BS... The "truth" is, you cant get a 52", 1080p, 120Hz, TV for $1300. Go ahead and put your energy toward Sony with extended coverage of this issue ending this month, you may very well get nothing, and that's what I hope you get for being annoying.

Did your hubby take your pictures for you yet?

Post Number: 5
KB - I understand your upset with Sony but not the diatribe and negativity directed toward me personally. You indicate over and again that your circumstances are what shaped your decision to take what it would seem is the most offensive deal Sony has offered to anyone yet. My circumstances allow me to take Sony to Court, if I have to, but what has been guiding me even more is my desire to do the right thing and get the ball rolling for others i.e. the greater good. If you have more important things to do or just don't care about the greater good, either way, it is a fact that you, as one who chose to take a crummy offer from Sony, are contributing to Sony thinking they can get away with offering continually worse deals to its customers.

I was so relieved to find this Board and part of that was all the help, encouragement and goodwill that was shown on the posts. Your posts are the opposite. You have concluded your case with Sony, so I don't understand why you are still even on this Board.

Username: Dgriffi2

I'm starting to regret joining this discussion board. Please people. This is not middle school. Let it go.

Username: Rustywood

just a side not,e i understand that DLP TV,s are on their way out. seems sony isnt the only one thats going to stop making them.

Update-- I am one of the people getting a great deal from SONY (46" Bravia for $429) -- just under the wire (Nov 26)-- sent serial tag a week ago yesterday; rec'd email today confirming receipt and that it will be shipped and I will receive tracking info w/in another week. The numbers were hard to read on the serial tag as it smudges easily when you take it off, but fortunately I had the presence of mind to write the # down before removing it. I'll let you all know how delivery / set up goes.

Username: Rickhaye

Just an update to my situation, I went ahead and called to get my TV repaired instead of paying the higher price of the 52" TV's and paying for s/h. They ( Q-serve ) said they will be ordering the part and will contact me when the technician will replace the part. I'll update you all afterwards on how it went.

Username: Danl

San Diego, CA USA

It appears to be a slooowww process at Sony. It took 10 days from the day they received my sticker (FedX signature delivery) to receive an email stating "they received my sticker". Now I wait for the second email - "your TV is on the way." I hope that email doesn't take another 10 days. I'd love to have it by Christmas

Username: Karwal

Kevin, I have to agree with your assessment of other posters who get a little long in the tooth.....short and sweet. Some others' expectations are ridiculous and unreasonable. When it comes down to brass tacks, if any product is out of warranty and fails....the customer is stuck. That is the choice of the purchaser. Those companies with a sketchy history of failures in or out of warranty will fall from favor.

Since this page still hasn't been archived yet...I think all would hope others would refrain from the minutiae of their personal stories.

Username: Sparkydog5

Just got my TV today KDL52W4100. It took around 3 weeks from intiating the process till delivery. Sony moved very slowly. I called every couple of days to check on the status. They received my serial number on 11/19 but I didn't get the email confirmation of it until 12/4. It shipped on 12/3 and I got it 12/10. I never did get an email saying that it shipped. All I can say is call often to check on it.

San Diego, CA USA

Thanks for sharing your timeframe, Jack. It gives me hope. I'm getting that same set. How are you enjoying yours so far?

I love it especially for the price I got it for. I'm still zeroing in the calibration. I think it may be a little too big for the room I have it in . HD looks great, but like normal SD leaves a little bit to be desired. I may be a little hyper critical though since I'm comparing it to my 60" XBR2 which looks fantastic on both. So far I'm really happy with it and I'm sure you will be too.
By the way, There's a sample image in the diagnostics menu that shows what the TV is capable of and it looks absolutely stunning.

Username: Tenshun

Just an update.
I sent my letters to both the ERC and the CEO of sony corp on November 26th. I was contacted by someone at the ERC on the 5th of December. I was told to fax them my receipt so I did on December 6th.

Then I was contacted today the 10th by someone in the special consideration department. He asked me which TV would I be interested in. I asked for a quote on the KDL 52W4100.... He told me, $1743.00+ tax........

Yeah--I know.......

When I began to explain to him that I sent my letter prior to the December 2nd deadline of the acceptable offer, he instantly became condescending, snarky, rude, and very short with me. He stated that my KDF E50A10 wasnt even a part of the recall or the lawsuit so I was lucky to get an offer at all....

Yeah--I know.....

No words can illustrate the utter disdain that I have for phony/sony corp. I will be talking with a lawer in the next couple of weeks now. Someone HAS to get this lawsuit started and I will see if I can be that pillar of disgruntled phony/sony customers. I will post again if I can get some sort of litigation started.

I heve enjoyed reading these updates minute by minute as I have them coming straight to my phone as they happen. Be sure to get the word out to ALLLL your friends, families and co workers about the utterly abhorrent, smug, and blatant lack of contrition on the part of phony corp.

DONT BUY SONY ANYTHING!!!!

Let this forever be our mantra. Thank you all ladies and gents.

Username: Mcjean

Wayne, when did you buy your TV? I have the same tv and am still waiting to hear from sony.

I bought my set in November of 2005. I feel bad for you Jean... Try and maintain your sanity through this ordeal. And dont forget the mantra.

NJ

Wayne, sorry to hear that they aren't offering you a comparable deal to what many got, including myself. But I have to give Sony credit for giving me what I feel was a great deal. I am surprised that they would give it to some and not others though. Seems like bad business to antagonize their customer base.

Wayne Ten,

I feel for you.
I have the same TV bought same month as yours.
I am waiting to hear from Sony.
If this is the deal that Sony is cramming down our throat, then Sony is telling us that it doesn't care.
If this is the deal from Sony then I am ready to join a class action law suit.

Username: Bigjdh

Orangevale, CA United States

Well I guess I'm in the right place. I have a KDF60XBR950 which has just started displaying the blue dots and hazing. Made my 1st call to Sony this evening before finding this site. I have to call back tomorrow. (Special Consideration Unit)

I purchased set in 12/03 and am only hoping to have set fixed. Have been very happy until now. I will consider small claims or joining class action if repairs are not made.

Based on what I'm reading, my hopes are not high.

for those that are getting their set fixed,you might want to consider that DLP sets are on their way out.in the four years I've owned mine I've replaced 2 225.00 bulbs.now the OB is crashing.even if you fix it, you might get another 2-4 years out of it. by that time parts and bulbs for a DLP will be higher. especially if they stop making them. problematic technology on its way out.

Username: Mtbaehr

Newbie here, great information on this post. I bought a 42"A10 model in the beginning of 05. From what I have been told I am having a OB failure. Blue fringe lower right of the screen.
I have an extended service contract with my vendor but do not want to waste it when people are getting or were getting the sets replaced at such a great price. Why do I want to fix dead technology.
Sony is not recognizing the problem for me so I am drafting up a letter as we speak. We'll see
Sonys recent actions disturb me. Can they really afford to loose so many valued customers by raising the offers so dramatically, when there are better sets on the market than theirs. Samsung has a much nicer 120 lcd, Panasonic plasmas are much better and cheaper than most Bravia models. Makes you wonder what Sony is thinking. Quite honestly, they need to keep us around to support their name. Unless of course you can afford an OLED set when they hit but there are probably not many among us that are rock stars and professional athletes.
Let's hope that they change their mind and support their faithful.

Username: R8r_mike

Update on my Special Consideration Program.
Sony finally received my serial number from my TV. (Two Weeks Later) The email read that they will send me another email within in a week when they ship my new TV (KDL-52W4100 $843).

A week goes by and now they say that the TV is on back order and they are not expecting to receive any until January. I guess that means that I will not receive my TV at my home until mid January. That is unacceptable!

You mean to tell me that Sony has no stock of the most popular TV for the holidays! I bet they have TV's in stock and are holding out for costumers that pay retail for the TV. They should make the unhappy consumers their priority! I guess that is Sony Costumer Service for you. I will probably not buy another Sony TV again after this experience.

San Diego, CA USA

I got the same news today. The agent told me my order was at the warehouse, but was unsure about current inventory and when I might see my 52w4100. I got the good price so I shouldn't complain, but I agree that they should have enough stock at the holidays.

Matthew Baehr, great post. Very informed. My hub has been pricing tvs like a mofo and has also found better deals all over the place for comparable tvs, and that is now. In all the interviews they did before Black Friday it was consistently advised that after Xmas tv prices would go down as always, but with the economy, they would go down even more so the best bet was to wait.

And then Randall Whitfield's Dec 09 post where he links to the article about Sony's troubles and what the Sr VP there has to say, "Hara said U.S. sales were holding up relatively well, but he acknowledged product prices may have to be cut".

So, I would love to wait not til just after Xmas, but a few years to buy a new tv and get my set repaired for now, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I just called Sony. For those that want to know what may happen when they call regarding the lamp access door, when I called I quoted their site and told them my set was exhibiting "this specific condition." The guy on the phone made me go thru questions and everything for quite some time and then set up an appt with a tech person to come over to my house and make sure the lamp door was warped. I would assume, like the OB, the lamp access door would warp on all sets eventually, so why have the tech person come over, but whatever.

Sony sure likes to put its customers thru their paces. It is kind of like with Ins companies and how they treat their claimants, just trying to wear them down until they take whatever deal they are offered. (Actually, this works against the ins companies for claimants that don't fit the mold and are one of the only 3% that actually file a lawsuit - ins cos don't know what to do with these squeaky wheels so the ins cos are the ones that usually end up giving in.)

So, this odyssey continues and a tech guy is expected to come over tmw for the lamp access door which is truly warped. I always thought the curve of the door followed the curve of the tv but there is no curve to the tv, as my hub pointed out. He didn't check for any burnt areas or wires because the door was, as he put it, "curved on more than one plane."

A poster above mentioned that Sony doesn't have the parts to fix this problem so they will offer a deal instead, but on another website someone does mention getting this fixed ... I will update.

Okay, regarding the LAMP DOOR ACCESS RECALL for the following models -

2003 Models: KF42WE610, KF50WE610, KF60WE610, KDF60XBR950, KDF70XBR950
2004 Models: KF42WE620, KF50WE620, KDF42WE655, KDF50WE655

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?&news_id=261&mdl=KDF60XBR950

Just found out why the tech person has to come over. He needs to look "at a couple other things". He needs to see if some wires behind the lamp have changed color, or if the bottom of the case, where the lamp console sits, is warped. If it is hard to pull the lamp console in or out, the case is probably warped. And this is the part Sony doesn't have, so the tv can't be repaired and the negotiations for a new tv replacement begins. According to a poster above, when this happened to him, the deal Sony offered him was GREAT, better than anything anyone on this thread had been offered.

I'm not feeling greedy about this, so I could care less about a GREAT deal. I value my blood pressure more, am over Sony and don't want to own another one of their tvs ever again. I am hoping my tv can be repaired.

Whoa. Right after, and I mean right after, my last post went up, I got an out of the blue call from Norbert (said he wasn't allowed to give his last name) from Sony. He brought up something I forgot to mention.

I was told by the Sony Svc Tech coming out tmw that if he didn't find anything wrong with my tv, or if it couldn't be repaired, I would have to shell out for the svc call. $50 in my case.

So, Norbert said he was calling to offer me a special "accommodation". I wouldn't have to pay the $50 either way and he would make sure the tech svc guy knew it. I asked if they called everyone under such circumstances. He said no, he was making this special accommodation just for me. He stayed on the line and tried to ask me questions about the nature of my problems with the lamp door, which I found odd considering the tech guy would give them all that info tmw after the svc call, and with more info than I could give ... So, I told him as much, that the tech guy would know all after looking at the set tmw, thanked him for this "accommdation" and I got him off the line.

I don't know if it was that I am not used to Sony being "accommodating" or the timing of the call, but it kind of weirded me out.

just read R&R MIKE,S post! if i got to wait till febuary to get my set. screw That! sony can send me a voucher for the set, so i can go to some place like circuit city or best buy to get my set! i dont care if i am getting the set at a discount, its still 843!! by that time my set will be unwatchable!! it,s retailers are getting theirs first.

Username: Whatislife

AMOUNT OF THE ISSUES and GE Extended Warranty is hopeless ...

Here are some links
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/televisions/big-screen-tvs/sony/kf-42we610/PRD_28 7379_2726crx.aspx
http://ecoustics.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/id_type=M/product_id=118 0921/
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/pr-Sony_Grand_WEGA_KF42WE610_42_in_Rear_Projecti on_HDTV-Ready_Television/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~1/pa_~1#list
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html
http://www.fixya.com/support/t119363-power_indicator_flashed_red
http://www.fixya.com/support/t132947-come_unless_cold_shut_off
http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Sony_Grand_WEGA_KF42WE610_42_in_Rear_Projectio n_HDTV-Ready_Television/content_130981924484

If you have to suffer through even having extended warrany what to do except goto court.

Username: Karc

I unfortunately and regretfully own the Sony POS KDF50WE655. Purchased this TV in OCT 04 and starting seeing spots all over the screen. In March 2007 after learning on the Sony website there was an issue with our particular model TV I contacted Sony. I was told to contact sears to diag. problem and paid a 100.00 for a service call through Sears. After many many months of problems and dealing with sony, they refused to fix the TV even though this was the issue at hand. I was so DISGUSTED with Sony with the way they handled this issue. As this Optical Block issues continued to get worse I finally contacted Sony again last month. I again had someone come out and I was offered the same BS options that all of you have been offered, but at the increased prices, being told "the prices went up". I asked if they were willing to stand behind the new optic block engine for 5 years they were willing to replace and the answer was "NO, THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES". As Sony is offering this replacement program, I am leary if I even want to purchase another sony product even at a reduced cost as my experience with Sony as been less than desirable (and that is putting it nicely) and has not proven to me that they really care about customer service or stand behind their products. I have a close friend who was well aware of my issue and purchased a Samsung based on my experience. I will be speaking to an attorney about taking this to small claims court. I have had enough!}

Post Number: 9
Sony GE Torture - Concise and valuable threads, thanks.

I wanted to mention one other thing before the tv repairman sent by Sony (they made the appt for me, I just called the tech to narrow down the time) shows up this am.

When I first called Sony regarding the Optical Block problem, the first person I talked to put me thru my paces testing the tv and stuff, like it mattered, then passed me onto a special cust svc person. Why? It would seem that her job was to just blow me off and do so giving me as little info as possible, one of the reasons I have been so long winded and thorough getting what info I have found onto this board.

I thought she was just continuing to push me off when she said my set was no longer part of the optical block recall because "Sony had determined it is no longer an issue" for my tv. This, as I was watching the tv in front of me with the blue blob on the bottom.

But, in thinking about it, it would seem that if every similar tv would eventually be affected by the OB problem, as has been shown by all the posts on this and other msg boards, and in a way by Sony's recall, the same would hold true for the warped lamp access door recall problems.

THAT is why the OB is no longer an issue for Sony. Why fix something on a set that has a melted lamp console cage problem in its future. When the customer first goes to install the replacement lamp in their tv, even if the cage isn't warped enough to get the lamp console jammed in there at the time, with the new stronger lamp in place, not only will the OB problem be accelerated so will the problems with the area around the lamp access door, including the cage. At some point, that warped cage will not allow the customer to replace the lamp - a MAJOR defect, and one Sony is not offering a part to replace. Super wrong doing on Sony's part.

Ooooh, again I feel those class action attys circling ... I am glad my problem will either be resolved with Sony, or I can get this lawsuit started, before my only recourse is to be a part of a class action suit where the attys are more interested in establishing a healthy monetary amount for themselves, not caring if the claimants barely get anything.

Username: Getsony

Wow, what a wealth of information. It's good to see that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems. I am most definitely interested in helping out in getting a case together for small claims court, just let me know how I can help. I purchased the KDF-E42A10 in February of '06 and I'm having the multicolored bars across my screen. Seeing as how many posts are coming through here recently, it seems that we are starting to get enough people together that we can perhaps make something happen. I've seen suggestions of sending letters but didn't catch an address, could someone please provide that?

Very interested in following up on this, I am simply appalled at the level of service offered by Sony. How can they absolve themselves of responsibility on this? I spent roughly $1,700 on my tv and it has lasted 2 1/2 years. I will also be filing a claim with the BBB to Sony, but feel a small claims pursuit may have a better chance.

For any that are interested, please contact me at wivikesfan1980@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Username: Mathew345

I own a KDF-46E2000 and just this week noticed a pinkish/brown band running across the top of the screen. After doing a quick google search, I came across this forum and found others with the same problem.

Has anyone been able to get this problem fixed? What is the best course of action to take?

For the owners of KDF-E42A10/50A10 with the bad B board assembly, did you fix the problem ?
Did the colored vertical lines go away ?
Did you replace the B board assembly by yourself ?

I am interested in your experience.

Thanks

TTX - I have the 50A10 and am STILL waiting for SONY to get back to me with some sort of response. I contacted them originally in November and haven't heard yet. I called them the other day to see what was going on and they advised that it's being "looked at" by their people. They also told me that it's in "priority sequence" ...whatever that means. To me it says they're up to their "ears" in these calls. Sure hope something happens soon as the more I read these posts, the more I feel that these optical block problems are mushrooming. It's VERY discouraging as I am a long time SONY customer and would really like to remain that way!

Username: Janet_and_steve

Eric,
We own a KF60WE610 with the optical block problem. We made the phone calls to Sony and wrote the letters only to recieve in October of this year an insulting offer from Sony. We turned them down. All we wanted was for them to fix the problem. We paid too much money for the tv for it to become an oversized paper weight. We did file a complaint with the BBB on Oct. 23rd. We have not heard anything back from them regarding our complaint or from Sony. I think filing a complaint with the BBB is just another step that does need to be taken before proceeding to small claims court or even with a class action lawsuit. We did opt at the end of Nov. to replace the optical block at our expense. The repair man was great and discounted his install charge. We plan after the first of the year to start small claims against Sony. There is so much documentation on this sight alone that I feel we have a good case. We will never again purchase another Sony product and we definitely will never recommend any product they sell. The way they have and continue to treat their valued customers is appalling and when the day comes when this huge corp files for bankruptcy it will be a wonderful day!
Good luck,
Janet

Janet,

Thanks for the update. What a frustrating experience. The thing is, for the most part Sony makes quality products and I've never had any issues in the past. I think that's what is the most bothersome about this situation. I'd love to offer any assistance that I can in your small claims case. The first one can be a precendent-setter so that would be huge.

I just put through my first correspondence to Sony yesterday. Assuming they treat me the same as everyone on here, I'll be following similar steps. Please keep the updates coming.

As this builds steam, the bigger this forum will become, and the more likely this forum will show up on Google searches. That will only snowball into more people finding the site, and eventually we should have a LOT of people on here. As you can see that is already starting to happen!

Thanks,
Eric

@TTX
I have the KDF-E50A10 and I will NEVER pay to fix the optical block. Only if sony offers to repair it for free will I know if it is effective.

I wonder if the people who engineered these sets are included in the most recent ranks of the unemployed?

Username: Jparker82

Tampa, Fl Usa

Lets do it. Spoke with sony about my 55. Will not give the $843 offer. I am getting published in the st pete and tampa tri. We need to take this story to a national level. It makes no sense to sit idle. People who spent way less money than me got a better deal. I paid $2999.99 plus tax and paid for a new lamp a few months ago. I asked several times over the last two days for the $843 offer and NO NO NO was there answer. Please join my in sticking it to SONY. I have over $20,000 of there products in my house and this is how they are going to treat me. GAME ON.

Tampa, Fl Usa

EVERY ONE IN EVERY CITY NEEDS TO CONTACT LOCAL NEWS ATTORNEY ABOUT THIS. It seems that people where OK with the $843 replacement. NOW ITS $500 MORE> Thats BS. Great Job SONY. Lets make this national news. Lets get it on Yahoo main page. Lets not stop until Sony does the right thing. I am going to do my part PLEASE DO YOURS!!!!!

Username: J_crane

I have the kdfe42a10 tv that was manufactured in march of 06.Around november 18 i had my bulb pop.After thinking long and hard about spending $300 bucks at christmas,i realized i pretty much had to.I bought the bulb on november 20,when i replaced the bulb i noticed the blue like paint running down my tv screen.I emailed sony on november 24,they emailed back 2 days later asking me to call there customer service,which i did already while i was waiting for thier return e mail.They informed me that they would give me an offer after i had a sony authorized dealer diagnose the tv.I didn't have any idea what they meant by that,so i was a little leary to get the authorized dealer in because it cost 80 bucks and i had no guarantee of any help from sony.Then i found this site which is great,i finally found its a common problem with these tv's.Anyway i've had the authorized dealer in on november the 27 and they said it was the optical block.So they said they would send sony thier info on dec 1 which they did and i sent mine (same day),this included the bill of sale,cost of the bulb and the cost of the repairman.I then recieved an e mail saying i'd hear from sony with an offer within 5 buisness days,I waited until the 10 of december to call their customer service to see what the problem was.They kept me waiting for almost 20 minutes then came back and said that the information that they recieved from the dealer wasn't readable.So i'm still sitting here now awaiting the offer,whatever that might be.Not much by the look of things.Oh god,my house is full of sony products...

Username: Rwhitfie

Well, since we live in a Free Economy (for now), I will vote with my wallet.
When I argued that I see deals like this:
http://www.conns.com/kdl52w4100.html
...what they want 1093 + 215 for, for $1799 at a regional retailer (Conn's) their answer is that that is a Sony Style deal... Hmm... my Sony products say "Sony"... the company needs an education in putting the customer first!
I will raise my 4 kids NOT to buy Sony unless I see a change.

Username: Frankie_boy

Wilmington, DE USA

Stop Whining, Fussing and Let's Settle In To the Facts

Since I became part of the Sony Grand Wega mess by owning a defect Sony product, I have read a large number of postings that have ranged from well informed to angry and "off the wall." I hope you find the following helpful in coming to terms with the situation, as I have thought the situation through and have used the following to judge Sony's response. If you do not want to read everything, skip to the end at least.

I am retired from big corporate America and know the corporate mentality, drivers and processes. As an engineer, when things went wrong (and they did!), I spent a lot of effort figuring what happened, why it happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. I come from a new technology development, engineering and manufacturing background. Since retiring I am in my own small business using these forensics skills. Ironically, I did my due diligence before buying the Wega. The technology works and I relied on Sony's long history of highly successful products to address topics I could not assess.

We are building a new house and have built cabinets for my now dying lightly-used KF42WE610 Wega. Ironically we watch our other Sony TV's more (a flat screen Trinitron, a mid-size XBR LCD, and yes, a very old 19" Trinitron on my work bench). Sadly, I talked my son into buying a 50" Wega that is essentially trash with the fault. He is farther along in the "negotiation" process with Sony and has a merger offer to buy a replacement Sony LCD. My 42" WEGA was going to be our center piece, the special place to relax and watch TV. My family has been brand loyal to a fault. We need to buy a lot of new electronics and, if it was not for this Wega situation, prefer Sony products for the same reasons we bought the Wega's. How they resolve this will go a long way in determining whether Sony is considered each time I buy.

After five contacts with Sony:

- They have offered me $250 to buy a LCD from their web site. I find their position insulting as I can buy their LCD for less money in the big box stores and they are still making a profit at their offer price. This is a way to keep Sony in my house but does nothing to address my loss in value of the $2,300 I spent on the Wega. I would not need to spend if it were not for their premature product failure.

- They said my TV is old. In terms of service hours, my Wega is maybe one-third the way through its useful life judging from how my other Sony TVs have performed. Up until this Wega situation, I have replaced my Sony products because there are technologically obsolete, not because they wore out or failed (which is why I have bought Sony and did not buy an extended warranty).

- They said they devalued my Wega's worth because it is old technology. As a consumer, it does not matter to me what is in the "box." It matters to me how the product performs. The quality of the Wega's picture was very good before it started to fail. To me the Wega's initial performance stands up well to today's LCDs. To be honest, I also value having a higher-end brand name in my house (do I need to rethink the value of the Sony brand name?).

- I also found insulting the Sony suggestion that I repair my Wega at my expense. I can buy a Sony 42" LCD for the price of repairing my Wega and not start the declining performance process over again because of the design fault inherent in the Wega product. If you consider a TV as a consumable item (you prepay for what you use until it is used up), I have used less that one-third of it value and now am forced to take a loss of $1,500. A $250 offer is an insult. Yes, I accept that life is full of risks and some things are outside of even Sony's well-meaning control, but this spread is unacceptable.

Sony's Position

Sony has had a long history of technology leadership and has sold a broad range of millions of high quality, innovative, reliable, state-of-the-art products. Their dedication to these high standards and great customer relationships has earned brand loyalty from their customers. Recently they have had some hard times because of a combination of competition, economic factors, declining quality/reliability relative to their competition and a comparative dry-spell in technology innovation and product development.

Their drivers are to maximize shareholder value by maximizing a predictable and steadily growing profit.

Both my corporate and small business experience has taught me that if my products or services have fallen below a reason customer expectation, I must do something proactive. My business future rests on their repeat business and good will. I do not want them to discourage others from buying my products and services. They will buy from my competitors that strengthens them and weakens me. I will then need to spend even more to maintain or regain my position that will lower my company's value and profit. I have to prevent this spiral down before it is unrecoverable. I may be able to get out of this "hole" if I can introduce some "blockbuster got to have" new technology or service to overshadow my past "sins." It remains to be seen whether Sony has lost its edge in its ability to develop and manufacture leading products.

During my career, I have been part of many product committees as the technology/engineering/manufacturing representative. I can easily imagine how my counterpart on the Wega team went down screaming trying to discourage product management for releasing the Wega product until known issues were resolved (been there, done that). At that point they had spent a lot of money and did not want to take the financial loss or risk losing a marketing opportunity. The pressure to perform and make profit is huge. The conversation went something like, "manufacturing is too conservative -- we have always succeeded and will overcome this situation if it happens." Management took a considered business decision and is now are hardly suffering for their decision. They have passed this apparently bad decision onto the customers. If you are in the technology business, you have to be good at introducing new products; have the guts to take risk and the morals to live up to the consequences of your decisions. So far they failed on this.

My offer from Sony suggests that they are approaching this situation at the product group level in the corporation. They are protecting the short term product group bottom line rather considering the long term and broader impact on the Sony brand name, Sony shareholder value and future sales. Financial analysts, product rating organizations and consumers keep track of a company's service quality and failure rate. The point is being lost that it is more important how you deal with the problem when things do go wrong rather than that things go wrong occasionally. I have witnessed product management get "kicked hard" when the executive found out how product problems were mishandled. If the manner in which the Wega situation is being handled is with the blessing of the Sony executive, Sony is in trouble, as they have lost the principles that made them successful.

To date Sony's response with me has been both insulting and disappointing. This is a recoverable situation. I have been in the technology and manufacturing business for a long time. I have had products and service issues, both big and small, and have over come the situation by admitting my shortcomings, making my customers whole and giving them something to maintain our long term relationship.

Possible Actions

Fellow Wega owners, the following lists some of the actions you can take. I am always looking for a win-win solution to problems:

- Gone on with life: Take the loss, recognize that new technology is not without risk. I feel that customers have some obligation is insist on good products and services. Buy Sony only with due caution if at all. You could get stuck again. You lose -- Sony wins (along with their competitors when you never buy Sony again)

- Rant and rave at Sony customer service people and on web postings: This might make you fell better, but it is easy for Sony to ignore uninformed or irritation people. Warm milk probably works better. You lose -- Sony wins

- Publicize the problem: this is like ranting and raving except the threat is more effective. You want to pressure Sony into doing the right thing, but do not want to damage them to the where they have no incentive to pay. If this is followed to an extreme, the will pull back a let a class action law suit proceed. You lose -- Sony loses Let's give Sony space to operated for a little longer.

- Work with Sony to Negotiate a Settle: Be calm and collected. Use some of the above arguments and recognize you have to go through a number of iterations before you get the best settlement. Depending on the settlement, you can decide whether to abandon your Sony loyalty and go with the competition or accept that you were at the "bleeding edge" of technology when you bought the Wega. Sony, please do not abandon what has gotten you to a leadership position in an ever changing market. This could be a win-win or lose-lose situation depending on whether Sony steps up and actions in a responsible manner. Based on my experience so far, I lose -- Sony makes a little less profit on a replacement LCD from their website if I accept their offer. The lost value in my Wega is still multiples of their offer. Earth to Sony, your competitors are going to win if you are not at least reasonable.

- File a small claims court law suit: Do not expect this to work directly, as Sony met their warrantee obligations. This lower level court may not even hear the case. Recognize that the cost to Sony to respond to the law suit likely exceeds giving you a fair settlement. If enough people go this route, for financial reasons Sony will wakeup. If Sony ignores the law suit, the court will give you a judgment -- you win. Sony can not take this approach if enough people get off the couch and spend the time to file. File a law suit or do something proactive to make things better for everyone. This is a case of corporate accountability. Go for it, but understand why you are taking this course.

- Class action law suit: Sony will pay the price of defending themselves and paying Wega owners something if they lose. The process will take a very long time and you will have long since paid for a replacement TV. My experience tells me that what you might get will not come close to a fair settlement. Again, customers have some obligation to insist on good products and services. Participate or do something proactive to make things better for everyone. This is a case of corporate accountability. They likely have not followed the standard of care in the industry. The kept selling a known defective product that developed failures after the warrantee period. A class action lawyer should have a field day with this one. Go on with life and if you get something from a class action law suit, consider it a gift. The lawyers are the winners here -- you lose a tiny bit less -- Sony loses

Sony, please step back and look at the big picture. Treat me fairly and consistently with others. Make me whole to overcome your technology failure. I do not expect more and will be heavily discourage to buy Sony buy again for less.

Dear Sony Competitors:

Based on my recent experience with Sony, I have not been treated fairly as a result of their product failure. I am in the market for a high end 52" LCD to replace my dying/dead Sony Wega. For a small consideration, I will gladly buy your products. This is your chance to gain market share and gain a loyal customer who is about to buy a house full of new electronics.

Dear Sony:

Isn't this all a stupid waste of everyone's time? Sony - step up and act SONY.

Thank you

Wilmington, DE USA

Stop Whining, Fussing and Let's Settle In To the Facts

Since I became part of the Sony Grand Wega mess by owning a defect Sony product, I have read a large number of postings that have ranged from well informed to angry and "off the wall." I hope you find the following helpful in coming to terms with the situation, as I have thought the situation through and have used the following to judge Sony's response. If you do not want to read everything, skip to the end at least.

I am retired from big corporate America and know the corporate mentality, drivers and processes. As an engineer, when things went wrong (and they did!), I spent a lot of effort figuring what happened, why it happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. I come from a new technology development, engineering and manufacturing background. Since retiring I am in my own small business using these forensics skills. Ironically, I did my due diligence before buying the Wega. The technology works and I relied on Sony's long history of highly successful products to address topics I could not assess.

We are building a new house and have built cabinets for my now dying lightly-used KF42WE610 Wega. Ironically we watch our other Sony TV's more (a flat screen Trinitron, a mid-size XBR LCD, and yes, a very old 19" Trinitron on my work bench). Sadly, I talked my son into buying a 50" Wega that is essentially trash with the fault. He is farther along in the "negotiation" process with Sony and has a merger offer to buy a replacement Sony LCD. My 42" WEGA was going to be our center piece, the special place to relax and watch TV. My family has been brand loyal to a fault. We need to buy a lot of new electronics and, if it was not for this Wega situation, prefer Sony products for the same reasons we bought the Wega's. How they resolve this will go a long way in determining whether Sony is considered each time I buy.

After five contacts with Sony:

- They have offered me $250 to buy a LCD from their web site. I find their position insulting as I can buy their LCD for less money in the big box stores and they are still making a profit at their offer price. This is a way to keep Sony in my house but does nothing to address my loss in value of the $2,300 I spent on the Wega. I would not need to spend if it were not for their premature product failure.

- They said my TV is old. In terms of service hours, my Wega is maybe one-third the way through its useful life judging from how my other Sony TVs have performed. Up until this Wega situation, I have replaced my Sony products because there are technologically obsolete, not because they wore out or failed (which is why I have bought Sony and did not buy an extended warranty).

- They said they devalued my Wega's worth because it is old technology. As a consumer, it does not matter to me what is in the "box." It matters to me how the product performs. The quality of the Wega's picture was very good before it started to fail. To me the Wega's initial performance stands up well to today's LCDs. To be honest, I also value having a higher-end brand name in my house (do I need to rethink the value of the Sony brand name?).

- I also found insulting the Sony suggestion that I repair my Wega at my expense. I can buy a Sony 42" LCD for the price of repairing my Wega and not start the declining performance process over again because of the design fault inherent in the Wega product. If you consider a TV as a consumable item (you prepay for what you use until it is used up), I have used less that one-third of it value and now am forced to take a loss of $1,500. A $250 offer is an insult. Yes, I accept that life is full of risks and some things are outside of even Sony's well-meaning control, but this spread is unacceptable.

Sony's Position

Sony has had a long history of technology leadership and has sold a broad range of millions of high quality, innovative, reliable, state-of-the-art products. Their dedication to these high standards and great customer relationships has earned brand loyalty from their customers. Recently they have had some hard times because of a combination of competition, economic factors, declining quality/reliability relative to their competition and a comparative dry-spell in technology innovation and product development.

Their drivers are to maximize shareholder value by maximizing a predictable and steadily growing profit.

Both my corporate and small business experience has taught me that if my products or services have fallen below a reason customer expectation, I must do something proactive. My business future rests on their repeat business and good will. I do not want them to discourage others from buying my products and services. They will buy from my competitors that strengthens them and weakens me. I will then need to spend even more to maintain or regain my position that will lower my company's value and profit. I have to prevent this spiral down before it is unrecoverable. I may be able to get out of this "hole" if I can introduce some "blockbuster got to have" new technology or service to overshadow my past "sins." It remains to be seen whether Sony has lost its edge in its ability to develop and manufacture leading products.

During my career, I have been part of many product committees as the technology/engineering/manufacturing representative. I can easily imagine how my counterpart on the Wega team went down screaming trying to discourage product management for releasing the Wega product until known issues were resolved (been there, done that). At that point they had spent a lot of money and did not want to take the financial loss or risk losing a marketing opportunity. The pressure to perform and make profit is huge. The conversation went something like, "manufacturing is too conservative -- we have always succeeded and will overcome this situation if it happens." Management took a considered business decision and is now are hardly suffering for their decision. They have passed this apparently bad decision onto the customers. If you are in the technology business, you have to be good at introducing new products; have the guts to take risk and the morals to live up to the consequences of your decisions. So far they failed on this.

My offer from Sony suggests that they are approaching this situation at the product group level in the corporation. They are protecting the short term product group bottom line rather considering the long term and broader impact on the Sony brand name, Sony shareholder value and future sales. Financial analysts, product rating organizations and consumers keep track of a company's service quality and failure rate. The point is being lost that it is more important how you deal with the problem when things do go wrong rather than that things go wrong occasionally. I have witnessed product management get "kicked hard" when the executive found out how product problems were mishandled. If the manner in which the Wega situation is being handled is with the blessing of the Sony executive, Sony is in trouble, as they have lost the principles that made them successful.

To date Sony's response with me has been both insulting and disappointing. This is a recoverable situation. I have been in the technology and manufacturing business for a long time. I have had products and service issues, both big and small, and have over come the situation by admitting my shortcomings, making my customers whole and giving them something to maintain our long term relationship.

Possible Actions

Fellow Wega owners, the following lists some of the actions you can take. I am always looking for a win-win solution to problems:

- Gone on with life: Take the loss, recognize that new technology is not without risk. I feel that customers have some obligation is insist on good products and services. Buy Sony only with due caution if at all. You could get stuck again. You lose -- Sony wins (along with their competitors when you never buy Sony again)

- Rant and rave at Sony customer service people and on web postings: This might make you fell better, but it is easy for Sony to ignore uninformed or irritation people. Warm milk probably works better. You lose -- Sony wins

- Publicize the problem: this is like ranting and raving except the threat is more effective. You want to pressure Sony into doing the right thing, but do not want to damage them to the where they have no incentive to pay. If this is followed to an extreme, the will pull back a let a class action law suit proceed. You lose -- Sony loses Let's give Sony space to operated for a little longer.

- Work with Sony to Negotiate a Settle: Be calm and collected. Use some of the above arguments and recognize you have to go through a number of iterations before you get the best settlement. Depending on the settlement, you can decide whether to abandon your Sony loyalty and go with the competition or accept that you were at the "bleeding edge" of technology when you bought the Wega. Sony, please do not abandon what has gotten you to a leadership position in an ever changing market. This could be a win-win or lose-lose situation depending on whether Sony steps up and actions in a responsible manner. Based on my experience so far, I lose -- Sony makes a little less profit on a replacement LCD from their website if I accept their offer. The lost value in my Wega is still multiples of their offer. Earth to Sony, your competitors are going to win if you are not at least reasonable.

- File a small claims court law suit: Do not expect this to work directly, as Sony met their warrantee obligations. This lower level court may not even hear the case. Recognize that the cost to Sony to respond to the law suit likely exceeds giving you a fair settlement. If enough people go this route, for financial reasons Sony will wakeup. If Sony ignores the law suit, the court will give you a judgment -- you win. Sony can not take this approach if enough people get off the couch and spend the time to file. File a law suit or do something proactive to make things better for everyone. This is a case of corporate accountability. Go for it, but understand why you are taking this course.

- Class action law suit: Sony will pay the price of defending themselves and paying Wega owners something if they lose. The process will take a very long time and you will have long since paid for a replacement TV. My experience tells me that what you might get will not come close to a fair settlement. Again, customers have some obligation to insist on good products and services. Participate or do something proactive to make things better for everyone. This is a case of corporate accountability. They likely have not followed the standard of care in the industry. The kept selling a known defective product that developed failures after the warrantee period. A class action lawyer should have a field day with this one. Go on with life and if you get something from a class action law suit, consider it a gift. The lawyers are the winners here -- you lose a tiny bit less -- Sony loses

Sony, please step back and look at the big picture. Treat me fairly and consistently with others. Make me whole to overcome your technology failure. I do not expect more and will be heavily discourage to buy Sony buy again for less.

Dear Sony Competitors:

Based on my recent experience with Sony, I have not been treated fairly as a result of their product failure. I am in the market for a high end 52" LCD to replace my dying/dead Sony Wega. For a small consideration, I will gladly buy your products. This is your chance to gain market share and gain a loyal customer who is about to buy a house full of new electronics.

Dear Sony:

Isn't this all a stupid waste of everyone's time? Sony - step up and act SONY.

Thank you

*Claps of enthusiasm*
I dont think I could have ever put that better Mr. Peter. Nicely done ol' chap.

Tampa, Fl Usa

That is all good. But if we can put some national attention on this. Like getting it to yahoo main page or in a bunch of major city news papers maybe they will stop giving us crappy offers. The 52 lcd is in the sunday paper in tampa for $1799. The W 120 mz one. Sony has gone from $843 del. to $1304. THEY TURNED THIS INTO A PROFIT FOR THEM SELVES. BS.
Sony does not realize that customer loyalty is more important than anything in business. IT IS WHAT MAKES YOU.
I say GAME ON. Sony is going to fix my crappy tv this week and it will just break again. They are giving a 90 day warranty on the new OB. If it breaks again they said that they would address it at that time. When there is a recall on a car what is done. LOOK AT FORD they lost a billion dollars on the firestone recall. IT WAS NOT EVEN THERE TIRE. the other tire companys made out like a bandit. SO WILL SAMSUNG ON THIS.
ONE VOICE CAN MAKE A CHANGE. Nice thing is I am retired and have all the time in the world to keep contacting every new agency until someone jumps on this story and takes it national.
Friday I would of settled for the $843 offer now noway. They need to give all of us a new TV for free. If the is a design problem. The OB will just go out again.
I was told by sony rep that the only was to get a free replacement is if your TV can't be fixed. Some people are getting free TV's.
All of us need to figure out what is fair. AND SETTLE for NOTHING LESS. I am 37 and retired with plenty of money.I'LL HIRE THE FRIGIN LAWER. How can we lose. SONY knowingly continued to sell a defective product.
WHAT DOES EVERYONE WANT????
NEW TV FOR SHIPPING ONLY????
COUPON TO PICKUP NEW TV AT BEST BUY OR CIRCUIT CITY???

Very good posts by Peter and Jason, thank you. I think at least 50% off of any Sony TV the consumer wants. Now thats anyone with a model thats listed as defective, can show proof of purchase (receipt)and the consumer doesnt have to go by Sony website price which is higher than you find at like Best Buy or C City.

They should send everyone one that requests and can show the reciept, a voucher good at any retailer that sells Sony products.

This whole "we will repair it at Sony's expense" is just like putting a band aid on an axe wound, it might help for a little while but it wont solve the problem, defective equipment which will only fail again. It is only a matter of time.

Get with the program Sony, take care of your people or you to will be failing.

Wilmington, DE USA

I have found before that everyone needs a common language and understanding to effectively band together and move the "mountain." My corporate experience has taught me to give them a chance to respond once things like a I wrote brings together an energized group. IF this doen't work - I agree - game on!

After reading Frank Peter's thoughts, the small claims route does seem like the best option. Is anyone serious about pursuing this course? I'd very much like to help with this avenue in any way I can, particularly with someone who has experience working in small claims court.

As an update, I too have been in communication with Sony and they insisted that I call their customer service center. I'll be doing that shortly and will keep you posted on what happens.

For the people who are dealing with Sony to get a new LCD set, the prices at Sonystyle.com has dropped.
Free-shipping and 36 months no interest are still offered.
Maybe you will get a better deals from Sony since the prices are now closer to those from BestBuy, Circuit City.
Here's a few examples:
KDL-52W4100 = $2,199.99 ($2499.99 last week)
KDL-52V4100 = $2,199.99 ($2299.99 last week)
KDL-46W4100 = $1,799.99 ($2199.99 last week)
KDL-46V4100 = $1,699.99 ($1799.99 last week)

Username: Trinh

I have the defective KDF-E50A10.
I have been watching this BBS and used the advices from here.
Giving credit where credit is due, Sony did respond to our complain letters and calls.

Anyway, Sony called and gave me the offer.

KDL-46S4100 : $621 + $150 shipping + tax.
KDL-52W4100 : $1425 +$150 shipping + tax

My offer is no where near the $843 or $900-ish offers that some of you received.

My offer is a little more out-of-pocket cost than the old offer of $1308+$215 shipping+tax.

My offer is a little better than $1743+tax that Wayne Ten received.

I asked if Sony were willing to fix my old TV and the anwer was "it is your responsibility since the warranty expired".

I have 2 weeks to decide on this offer.

At this time, I am virtually speechless to render any opinion about the offer; maybe you guys can offer some advice.

Thanks.

Trinh

Just wanted to give an update... I talked with Sony today and they wanted the tv to be brought to a repairman for inspection. They said that if the tv is broken due to something other than user-error that they will cover the cost of the inspection and then we'll go from there. To be continued...

Tampa, Fl Usa

Actions are a lot better than words. What are we going to sit idle and wait on corperate america. YEA that's a real good idea. If people don't want me to hammer Sony on a national level, let me know!!! Posting to this site might make you feel better, but it isn't going to correct everyones problem. Sony continued to sell a problem system to a unknowing public. Let's hit Sony between the eyes. I will call Sony tomorrow and I am going to make a few demands. I will stay on line until I get to upper management and I will tell them my intentions.
I am not the type to sit idle and wait to see what someone will do. That is why I retired 6 years ago at 31. I just don't see how making good post on this web site and waiting from a response from Sony will gain anything for anyone.
WE ALL NEED TO BE CONSISTANT IN OUR DEMANDS AND WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WE WANT AND THE DEMAND IT!!!!! I paid $2999.99 plus tax and a few hundred for a new lamp. That puts me around $3500.
A new $1500 tv for FREE sounds fair. I am sure that the $843 offer is still giving them a small profit. SO GIVING US THAT TV FOR FREE IS ONLY ABOUT 25% OF OUR MONEY BACK.
QUESTION FOR PETER FRANK? HOW IS AN ENERGIZED GROUP SITTING AROUND DOING NOTHING GOING TO ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING? How is your message getting to Sony? What are we all waiting for?
Don't we all just need to agree on what is fair and then demand it.

I GUESS I WOULD TAKE A FREE 52 120 HZ TO REPLACE MY $3500 TV.

While I am waiting for Sony to do nothing I will enjoy my new Samsung.

PLEASE POST WHAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY AND LETS SEE IF WE CAN GET SONY TO DO THE RIGHT THING. I'LL CALL TOMORROW

Post Number: 10
For those affected in the Michigan area, contact Fox 2's Problem solver at: rob.wolchek@foxtv.com

Im also going to be talking to a greedy lawyer I know on friday the 19th. I will post my results.

Tampa, Fl Usa

Wayne good for you. This is what Sony needs to see. Everyone needs to contact there local news. They will do the legal work for you for FREE.
To a lot of people a TV is a major purchase that they save years for. It's BS that Sony continued to sell us crap when they new there was a design flaw.
Again I will be contacting some sort of manager at Sony tomorrow and I will let them know what my plans and wants are.

Happy Holidays to all.

Username: Redpathtribe

Well I've sent off my third and final set of letters to the ERC and CEO Sir Howard Stringer. I'm giving Sony one last chance to do the right thing for their customer.

As I've posted before, I have a KF50WE610 and have been writing and talking to Sony since September. At this point all I want is for Sony to fix my TV (parts and labor) just like they did for Bill with the exact same model set as mine. Or worst case, I'd accept a new KDL52W4100 for $843 plus tax with free shipping and handling.

If Sony does not step up and do the right thing, I will be taking them to Small Claims court. I've already picked up the forms to file. I've been forced by two other companies in the past to take them to Small Claims and won both times, so I'm prepared to do it again if necessary.

Stay tuned...

Thanks for the updates, everyone. Rick, what is your arguement for small claims court? Is your tv past warranty? Are you going for the angle that this television did not last as long as one should expect? Do you just represent yourself?

Jason,

My KDF-E50A10 cost $2250 + tax in Nov 2005
It's been a dead paper weight for 3 weeks.

It needs a B block assembly right now. According to this forum, it will need an optical block and the bulb sometime next year.

You ask how Sony can make me a happy customer ?
I don't want to fix the TV again and again.
I want Sony to take back my KDF-E50A10 and give me credit for a new TV.
I want the same deal as the others:
A new KDL-52W4100 for $843 + tax (S/H included).

Trinh

Username: Sdezego

Thanks for the info here. I purchased a KDF-60XBR950 which will be 5 years in Jan and has a manufacture date of Dec-2003. I have been having problems since ~ the second year or so of ownership with the bulb cover (which would not allow the TV to turn on). After most frustration, I modified it to at least be able to turn on. Other than that and an expected replacement Lamp no other problems until about a year ago when I started seeing blue shadows. Very recently, I have been seeing more and more blue pixels (up to about 20+). I have read the above and my first step is following the proper channel. Sony issued an extended warrantty, so regardless as to what others have done, I need to go through the proper channel first. Even thoguh I know there is something seriously wrong with my TV now. I called Sony this morning and they gave me 3 numbers of places to setup an appt for in house service to repair it. I did not ask about replacement Tvs, etc. I will follow the protocol and see what the repair person has to say regarding this and Sony respectively.

I see tempers flaring and some irrational thoughts posted above. I am sure I paid more than most with the 60" XBR @ just under $5k (unless you bought the 70XBR). Am I satisfied with the TV? No. I expected the Tv to last me many years and ironically my Sony 36" Trinitron is still working perfectly after 12 years. However, the warranty was one year and that is all that Sony is truly liable for. Now, I understand that die hard Sony customers like myself are not happy and Sony should do everything in their powers to keep repeat customers happy, but Sony is not required to do anything. Those who say they are going to make demands and such are going about this the wrong way in my opinion. Those who have went through the process, sent letters, etc and are still left unsatisfied, that is a different story. I personally think that Small claims court is a waste of time. The Tv's clearly had a warranty started and defined during purchase as crappy as it is.

This is just my .02

I will post the progress in my situation as it develops. I plan on calling a repairman to correct the lamp cover under the extended warranty and look at "other items affected from the lamp cover".

Regards,
Shawn

Tampa, Fl Usa

Shawn,
In our great nation you just cant go around Bleeping the consumer. YOU JUST CAN'T KNOWINGLY SELL A FAULTY PRODUCT. I think that is the POINT AND NOTHING ELSE.
YES, you can make demands if you put your money where your mouth is. Sony is in a very bad situation here and they know it. If we take this story to a national level it will cost them MILLIONS. Not only doing the right thing in our case but also in loss of future income.
We have to help the people that might of saved for years to buy there tv and just can't afford to buy another one. There is a clear list of models and those are the ones that should be replaced. TV'S DON'T LAST FOREVER.
I'LL SHOW YOU HOW IRRATIONAL I CAN GET. I'VE GOT PLENTY OF TIME AND MONEY AND I WONT STOP UNTIL THIS STORY IS ON YAHOO'S MAIN PAGE AND HITTING SEVERAL MAJOR CITY PAPERS. SONY DID THE WRONG THING HERE. IT'S A VERY EASY WIN.
WHO CARES HOW MUCH PAID!!!! DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF IT WAS A DOLLAR OR A MILLION. DOES IT MAKE YOU MORE IMPORTANT THAT YOUR TV COST MORE THAN SOME OTHERS ON THIS BOARD. NO. I AM SURE I HAVE A LOT MORE MONEY THAN YOU BUT WHO CARES. NO ONE.
WHY DON'T YOU DO YOUR PART AND CONTACT YOUR LOCAL NEWS ATTORNEY AND FILL HIM IN ON THIS LINK. THAT IS WHAT WE NEED. NOT TO HERE YOUR OPION ABOUT OUR TEMPERS.

Jason that's an awful lot of ALL CAPS! We're all here to find a solution to the problem, and I agree that public awareness of the situation would put more pressure on Sony.

I still think Shawn is right, though. Legally Sony is not obligated to do anything, and it's a matter of customer service as to whether they decide to do anything about it. I'm all for helping though, because bringing awareness of the problem couldn't hurt.

We need to be realistic about what we think is fair compensation from Sony. Them giving out free TV's is never going to happen so let's look at a voucher for maybe 60% to 70% off a new TV of the users choice. Sure most would like the 52" but some might have space issues and need a 46" or something like that.

Now obviously not everyone that owns one of the defective sets will get the voucher, but everyone that requests one and can show proof of purchase should get one.

A few people have already sold their sets or trashed them or flat out dont know anything about these forums or what's going on with the class action lawsuits.

So out of the hundreds of thousands of people that purchased these sets they might get 30% of the owners to request a voucher. To receive the voucher you must send in the serial number off of the set and your serial # would no longer be valid.

Owners of such sets would have one year from a set date to request a voucher and have up to six months once they receive the voucher to cash it in.

Just an idea.

Most people (including myself) have written letters, talked with and even begged the Sony Customer Relation. This has gone on for sometime.

Sony has come back with offers to sell a new LCD TV to us; but there's no options for helping to fix our TV's or giving an extended warranty.

You can read the previous posts to see how people feel about the offers from Sony. Some liked it, most felt the offers were not fair from the customer support/loyalty perspective.

If one doesn't accept the offer to buy a new LCD TV from Sony, then one has 2 options: Write off the TV as worthless or fix the TV.
Both options are very costly.

To fix the TV, one has to pay out of pocket to repair 2 serious problems:
the optical block and the B block assembly.
(I consider the lamp as a wear-and-tear item).

So why should one throw good money after bad ? Even Sony is reluctant to fix these TVs, right ?

That's the heart of the matter and most of us are trying to work out solution that is fair and equitable to us and to Sony.

Post Number: 10
Shawn - I have the same tv you have. If you read my Dec 11 post, you will find out what Sony means by "other items affected from the lamp cover". This does not include the Optical Block, but it may mean a replacement tv for you.

Beyond that, you were given at least some consideration when you called because of the lamp cover and getting attn for that. If you had been given the brush off and in the very upsetting way some of us were treated by Sony, you may be more understanding of the rest of us with our upset and initiative to resolve this matter in a fair and reasonable matter, including Court.

Sony has acknowledged that even they think the tvs are defective and lasted an unreasonable amt of time, per their recalls and extended warranties. The fact that these warranties were limited and those with tvs under the recall were not contacted or in any way not made aware of the situation, even if Sony had our info thru registration or prior contact, shows any such limited warranty was an act of bad faith disguised as good faith.

Along with the fact that there is already a Class Action suit against them shows that there is enough there to file. What Frank Peter said in his Dec 14 post about it taking alot more $, than what any of us would be reasonably asking for, for them to send Counsel out to defend, is correct. In this way, if enough people file, we all win and Sony loses, as he stated.

Tampa, Fl Usa

So here is Sony's position on the 55in model. They will fix at no charge to customer. By extending the warranty they are doing the right thing. But also by extending the warranty the admit they sold us a problem.
My concern is that if it is a design flaw this will happen again.
They don't care about the price increase and the lack of consistancy is simply a joke.
Also they feel that they are doing us a favor by selling us a $1799 tv for $1304. What about are $3500 investment? They think that since the new tv is better tech that it does not matter. They will only go of the Sony web site prices at $2200 so they are giving us half off(bs). They will NOT give the $843 price to anyone.
THEY WANT TO MAKE OUR PROBLEMS THERE PROFIT!!!!!!
They also don't care if we take this problem national. In there mind they have extended the warranty or given you the offer of a new tv half off. So we can do what we want.
SO LET'S DO IT. LET'S MAKE SAMSUNG #1.

Sony still continued to sell a crappy product and how many people spent there hard earned money to fix a tv that sony sold even though it was going to break.

If we can't get any help from Sony we can still make a hugh difference in there future sales by making the consumer aware of there poor products. In this economy it won't be hard to hurt them by getting out the truth.

PLEASE get this story out. I wont ever buy another Sony product and I own around $20,000 of there crap.

I spoke with Sony today (paul 866-850-8673) and right after that I called the St Pete Times and got a price for a full page ad. It was only $1700, thinking about running an ad and warning the Tampa area about Sony Products. I will call my attorney tomorrow to make sure what I can and can't do or say.

Props to Samsung LOVE my new TV.

just wanted to give an update. Sony has refused to do anything until I send a letter to the Executive Review Board, so I will be doing that first. Hopefully that gets me somewhere.

Silver Member
Username: Edenney

Post Number: 160
That's the way it works

Wilmington, DE USA

Jason - you have the fire in your belly that it takes to get a class action law suit going - go for it! Publicize - go for it! I just got my second offer that has dropped to $150 (Sony lowered their website prices by $100). I prepared my first post to focus the energy. What is needed now is some leadership, some volunteers and a class action attorney. Jason are you interested - it seems so from your posts.

I know for a fact that Sony monitors this site and has approached people based on postings. This is hardly fair and consistent treatment.

What I expected:

1. I expected to be financially compensated by Sony a prorated portion of the $2,300 I paid for the Wega based on the remaining useful life of the Wega, assuming a 10 to 15 year useful life.
2. The compensation should be applied toward the purchase price of the Sony product of my choice from the store or website of my choice. The compensation should include an additional amount for shipping and setup.
3. Sony should provide a full parts/labor/replacement insurance product policy for the longest period commercially available to demonstrate their confidence in the reliability of their products.
4. Sony should develop and implement a fair policy to deal with people who paid to have their Wega's fixed or can prove that they discarded them after they developed issues.
5. Sony must issue a product advisory to all sellers, repair companies, Wega owners and other normal information outlets describing the failures and the actions that Sony is taking to rectify the situation.

The above is standard "stuff" that is not excessive or unreasonable. Details would need to be worked out concerning when the product failed so that the remaining useful life can be determined for example.

Is this too much to expect from a top end supplier (or what used to be a top end supplier)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Sony called again today. Don't know what happened to Norbert, this time it was Scott (they aren't allowed to give last names).

I haven't posted the results of having the Sony Svc Tech Guy (tv repairman Sony contracted to come out and svc my tv - whatever they are calling him) because things have been so up in the air with Sony.

After my first contact, I was so upset at the avoidance, lying (yah, I'll say it) and dodging of the cust svc person I was passed onto after the nature of my problem was realized - Optical Block was going on my KDF60XBR950 - by the first person I talked to. I had obviously been rudely passed on to a brush off specialist and I thought I would never hear from them again. That may have been true if my set had just the OB problem, but it also has a lamp access door problem which is still covered under a Sony recall.

Now, I get to see what others are experiencing with Sony at least giving them some consideration, and it is a different experience. They have called me twice now, this last time to replace my tv, but not without a delay and a couple more hoops to jump thru. First, "Scott" (is that even his real name?) wanted to know when I bought my tv, etc. They already have this, in fact, they have had this info since just after I bought it. I pointed this out, but he still wouldn't tell me what their offer was. It seems he also wanted a copy of my receipt faxed to him to prove how much I paid for the tv. Who cares? I would hope they would know how much their KDF60XBR950 was going for when I bought it. All this before he could "negotiate" a discount on a replacement.

I really don't want to negotiate. Who likes doing that. I just want my tv fixed and an extended warranty so I don't have to go thru this again. And I don't want to play games. This so reminds me of the tactics of ins companies who push and pull until they wear down claimants and they will accept anything the ins co offer them, not matter how insignificant.

I just told the guy I wanted my set fixed and I really didn't want another Sony. And still he wouldn't commit to absolutely repairing my set. He said either Sony or the tech would get back to me depending on if Sony deemed my set repairable or not.

I have no idea when this odyssey will be over. I keep everyone posted.

Username: Crackt

add a kf-50e200a manufactured january 2007 to the list. blue haze in top corners and yellowing along top border. thot it was an old bulb. replaced bulb only to make the distortion brighter. i'm just happy my issues are nowhere as bad as the ones i've seen online.

Bronze Member

Good grief!! The KF-50E200A is the exact same set as the KDF-E50A10. Im glad you found us Mike y. Im assuming you are the first with that particular model, but certainly not the last.

@Jason, Frank is right buddy, You have the perfect amount of fervor to help spearhead this thing all the way to litigation. I hope you can initiate something and be the proper catalyst for us all. I am still set to talk with the greedy ambulance chaser that I know on the 19th. I hope he doesnt charge me for the consultation...

Username: Hdinma

Newbie here.

I have been reading the archive and this thread for a while and wanted to share a summary of my story.

I purchased a KF42WE610 in 01/04 that has a manufacture date of December 2003 on the back of it. The TV retailed for $2799 and I paid about $140 less than that at Best Buy. I also purchased a four year extended warranty that (naturally) had expired when I ran into trouble recently.

About three weeks ago, me and the family were watching a Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer DVD when the set fizzled and eventually went dead after a couple of glimmers of coming back up. After several attempts to get the thing back up, the lamp light kept cycling to red, so I surmised the expensive bulb had finally burned out.

I went through the motions: looked for the receipt and warranty, ordered a bulb, etc. and did some research where I found the extended lamp door link on the Sony site. I then called the number on that page and they gave me some numbers for TV repairmen in my area. I had one out about two weeks ago and he was all set to fix the "warped/melted door" issue when he also asked about the picture quality. I said it was ok, but I had noticed greens blobs on black screen in the lower side regions. He then informed me that this was the beginning stage of an OB problem. He left and contatced Sony and phoned to inform me they'd be calling with an offer for a "replacement".

So far I have been playing phone tag and talking with various CSR's and receiving different info each time. They finally got my fax for the receipt electronically attached to my file and I am waiting for them contact me with an "offer".

Based on what I have documented here, and the wealth of great info in this ongoing thread, does anyone know what the offer will likely be based on my set, age and price payed out? In addition, will Sony allow for a replacement that is larger than the original (say, the 52"W)??

I would also like to thank all those who have put(and are still putting) hard time and sweat into this effort. Without this forum, I would have simply ordered the bulb and replaced it myself and likely run into a much more expensive problem down the road (and in fact I had ordered one and was able to cancel after finding the extended warranty).

I would also like to thank the poster who discovered the "loophole" in the expired OB warranty by way of the warped/melted door. That is great ammo for these negotiations.

Finally, at some point in this thread someone mentioned that after market bulbs are being blamed for the various blob issues in the class actions suits. I breathed a sigh of relief in knowing that I hadn't replaced my bulb, but then I remembered having a service call early on from Best Buy. Sure enough, when I examined the bulb it was an after market version. I tried to contact Best Buy to see if they realized that Sony was balking at claims supposedly caused by these knock-off bulbs and was told that if the warranty is expired I'm SOL and that their fine print includes a disclaimer that replacement parts may not be original. needless to say, I'm naively hoping for the best and that the offer will be reasonable.

One last not: it has been my experience that being cordial and polite always works better than angry and belligerent when dealing with CSRs over the phone. The last thing they want is to be yelled at once again for something they have no control over but they may be willing to do a favor for someone who does oe for them. ;)

Take care everyone,
- Doug

Username: Rickhaye

Update for my situation with my KDF-60XS955, with me missing out on the $843 deal and being offered the higher amount. I opted just to have the OB replaced by Sony. It took about 7 days from placing the call and getting it fixed. The blue blobs are gone for now until another year or two then I'm SOL. I will also need to replace the lamp for my set. it's still the original ( about 9000 hours ) because it's not as bright as it used to be when TV viewing. Question, where can I purchase this lamp and do I need the original Sony parts for this? Any help will be appreciated.

Update-- I rec'd email from SONY that they received my serial tag and I would receive another email w/ shipping info w/in a week. Well, last night, exactly one week later, I rec'd email indicating I will have my new TV delivered perhaps by Dec 23 or 24 (I took them up on their offer of a 46" Bravia LCD for $429--I recently saw it on sale at Best Buy for about $1400).

I have to say it's amazing to me as I've monitored this discussion how many of you have struggled w/ SONY compared w/ how easily and professionally they've dealt w/ me (not trying to pour salt in anyone's wounds! Just telling my story!)At times I've wondered, 'Are we talking about the same company??'

I'll let you know how delivery and set up goes.

Username: Sdezego

@Doug, they can't blame it on aftermarket bulbs becuase:

1.) My Lamp door started warping less than two years after I bought the KDF60

and

2.) When I did replace my bulb after about 2 years, I made sure I replaced it with only a factory Sony replacement bulb.

The Door continued to distort over time and actually has a crack/hole in it now.

@Lisa, I am anxiously awaiting your progress. I am still awaiting to hear back from the repairman I spoke to who was going to run my situation up the flagpole. I am not feeling confident at this point, but who knows.

Shawn

Upload
Upload
Upload

Oh, one thing I neglected to mention...

Why of why is Sony increasing the standard $843 "replacement" fee for the 52W while the market value for this TV continues to decrease? It won't be long before this set is <$1500 and discontinued.

I realize this is an illogical, unanswerable question. But hasn't this set been out for about a year? One would think Sony would be eager to get rid of them to make room for what's next .. no?

We have thoroughly enjoyed hours of viewing our projection LCD TV and I have noticed that it's as good as the source. That being said, I would love to get out of this archaic & poorly designed technology and into the 1080P, PS3, blu ray, HD video world to BUY MORE SONY STUFF and one would think that Sony would like to sell me some as well since they scrapped the projection plans years ago. Correct?

Someone(s) with power is making a severely shortsighted, penny wise/dollar short decision to annoy and enrage loyal Sony fanboys and girls by not making good on this.

When I first heard about the extended warranty I thought to myself, "Wow, what a company to stand behind their product like that even though they don't have to." Well, after seeing the extent to which some have suffered in even getting this company to acknowledge some culpability, I stand corrected.

Shawn De,

Thanks you for the info on the bulbs.

I'm not as concerned since that has not come up at all. I actually was hoping that Best Buy woulod extend the warranty I purchased from them, but no dice.

I feel as though the ball is rolling in our favor due to the continued efforts of those who started this crusade and I am very thankful for that.

Update:

I just got off the phone with a CSR named Scott. He offered me a new KDL52W4100 "replacement" for $1723 and change (!) I informed him that Sony Style has this TV listed as a Christmas special for $1999 and he informed me that they don't go by their prices. I then brought up the issue of the $843 offers that have risen inexplicably and he immediately became agitated and began interrogating me and asking for names and details. After some back and forth, he said I must be referring to the 'Special Consideration Program', and that my KF42WE610 is not covered under that. I agreed and said that I was aware that the extended warranty ran out in July. He remained very short and almost rude in his speech while I tried to come over as forceful yet polite.

I decided to pursue the repair option for the warped door once again and stated that the unit may not even be fixable (insinuating the "loophole"). He said he'd kick it over to their service department and that it would fall under the SCP if nothing could be done on that end. His mood then improved substantially.

I'm not holding my breath. I think what will end up happening here is I will get the lamp door fixed and change the bulb and buy a new TV when this one dies. The 52W equivalent should be under $1000 by then.

Bah!

For those who are struggling with Sony, please look at this article in PCWorld.com
You can voice your opinion at the end of the article.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154129/sony_hdtvs_rated_most_reliable_by_pc_world _readers.html

Just an update... Finally have settled with SONY after dealing with a very cordial CSR. I was offered a 52W4100 for 975.00 including a 2 year extended warranty and free shipping. I'm certainly not happy about having to deal with replacing a TV after only 2 1/2 years, but recognize that I did NOT buy an extended warranty at the time (I've never needed to before), and SONY really doesn't have to do anything about this situation. It's purely "goodwill" on their part, and of course, making sure that I keep buying SONY products. My experience has been positive to date, and I maintain that keeping a cool head definitely prevails in situations like this. I was prepared to get heavy if need be, but the need wasn't there. Good luck to others and remember that you're dealing with people that are "just doing their job". Last thing they need is people jumping down their throat!

Bronze Member

Hey Trinh I also posted a message there. The more places we can raise awareness of Sony's "customer service", hopefully the more pressure they will feel to treat their customers fairly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Trinh - thanks for the link, but that article states, "In our survey we asked readers to rate sets that were less than three years old", which I find highly convenient for Sony. It would still be good to add comments on Sony's cust svc at the end of the article if we can.

Shawn - Was the cage housing, that the lamp console sits in, warped? Call and ask the svc guy who came out to your house. If that is the case, Sony does not make a replacement part and you should be getting a better deal than anyone on this board if your experience is the same as that of Louis343 in his post of Dec 5.

Jean Mc,

Looks like you got a very fair offer from Sony for your KDF-E50A10 with the blue blobs.

You should represent all of us in dealings with Sony and save us all the agonies.

I've been calmly talking to Sony but it doesn't budge very much from the original offer. Sony offer costs me almost the same as buying the 52W4100 from Circuit City or Best Buy.
Spending $1700 to get a new TV set in this tough economic time is out of the question.

Sony has repeatedly said it will not cover the repair of my E50A10. I don't know why.

Maybe the difference is because my E50A10 has the broken B block assembly and not the more popular optical block like most of you ?

The only thing under my control now is spend $600 to fix the old TV and hope the optical block doesn't fail any time soon.

doug stark,Sony offered you 1723 and change?! did that include shipping?you can get it retail for 1799.00! if you look.

Wilmington, DE USA

Today I finally got to the "Office of the President." The lady was polite and professional, but said their $150 offer stands. She said this was the last stop on this journey, as all letters or other inquires would end up in her office and would not change their position.

Now I need to take my own advice and pursue my other options. Good luck to everyone else. I am not done with this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Let's keep this up. If you have a minute, please register and post here

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154129/sony_hdtvs_rated_most_reliable_by_pc_world _readers.html

(at the end of the article). If you have something good to say about Sony, at all, please add that so it doesn't look like just a grip session.

Remember, these are readers who are not used to being manhandled by Sony and are looking for an excuse to continue to blindly trust and buy from them. It is too easy to say a poster, who only badmouths, just has a bad attitude and would have a problem with any manufacturer. Keep to the facts and do acknowledge good as well as bad, if you can. I think most of us were all loyal to Sony at one time, so try and remember what that was like and come from that perspective when you post.

Let's see how many posts we can get!

txt660 says:
Wed Dec 17 15:19:06 PST 2008
Re: Sony HDTVs Rated Most Reliable by PC World Readers
The article mentioned "most HDTV problems occur in pre-2006 sets" and the survey only asked readers to rate sets less than 3 years old.

Well, sets less than 3 years old are less likely to break down.

PC World should also survey readers like me with slightly older HDTV sets because these TV sets are the true test manufacturers' willingness to stand behind their products.

The article also pointed out that Sony received the above average rating for Customer Service.

I would beg to differ.

I bought a Sony 50" LCD rear projection HDTV in Nov 2005 for around $2500. After 3 years, it has become problem-plagued.

How did Sony treat the owners of these expensive LCD rear projection TVs after the problems were brought to Sony's attention ?

Answer: Sony gave these owners the brush-off. Sony offered to sell a new Sony LCD HDTV at 25% off MSRP.

In my case, it would cost me more than $1500 to buy a 52" TV from Sony.

So instead having genuine interest in making the customer whole, Sony seizes the opportunity to make profit from the customer.

If you want to see how many are impacted, search the Internet for "problem Sony LCD rear projection" or go to here:

Reply to this comment
getsony says:
Thu Dec 18 08:41:18 PST 2008
I just wanted to mention that while Sony may typically have a reliable product, there are many that are experiencing serious flaws in their televisions. What is most frustrating is Sony does not appear to be accepting responsibility for this situation. Please visit this forum to find a collection of stories from people mistreated by Sony's "customer service".

Reply to this comment
lisamcgu says:
Thu Dec 18 10:37:03 PST 2008
It should be reminded that this survey was for models no more than 3 yrs old.

For Sony owners who have owned their sets longer, there are many msg boards, with thousands of posts, which show disgruntled customers who own some very expensive tvs that have had very short lives and they have been shut out of recalls and limited extended warranties issued by Sony to, it would seem, appease only enough wronged customers to curtail another class action suit.

Sony is getting better about appeasing these customers, which is in their favor, but for some of us, it has been an upsetting and frustrating process.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Frank it seems that coordinating efforts on either a small claims opportunity or perhaps further may be worthy of investigation. I'm more than willing to help in any way I can!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Jean Mac -

Showing sympathy to a cust svc person who is dodging, avoiding and downright lying to you ... that's a good one.

When they chose the job of brush off specialist, they chose to have people "jump down their throats" as you put it.

Personally, unless they called me, I avoided talking to Sony at all costs, just to keep my blood pressure in check.

In fact, my last contact with Sony was actually thru my tv repairman and it was blissful, in comparison. I really just want my tv repaired and he knows this and had to talk to them to find out what he was allowed to do in this regard. Thru him, it seems Sony and I have come to a agreement and I am so thankful. Sony should hire him or people like him - technically knowledgeable, kindly, respectful and understanding.

If Sony got everyone who owns the "bad" tvs past this without so much upset, think of all the Sony products we would continue to buy and the praises we would be singing ...

The thing that kills me is I spent quite some time selecting between the LN52A650 and the KDL52W4100 and decided on the latter.

Now I want to buy the Samsung based on principle.

russell wood,

I mentioned that to the CSR and his response was ... silence.

OneCall has had this TV @1745 for a couple weeks now. I suspect it will be close to $1500 in January.

I really wanted to go to 52", but Best Buy also has the 42V for $999. That's a great buy if your room is smaller and you aren't hooked on 120Hz.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8828726&type=product&id=1207957070612

Thank you for contacting Sony Technical Support.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write us. Your email has been assigned
Case ID ######. An email support agent should reply to your letter within the
next 12 hours. Occasionally some inquiries will require additional time.

Thank you for your patience as we strive to provide you with the best service
and support possible.

The Sony Online Support Team.

my journey has begun.

Thanks for the speedy reply. truth is that the tv is connected to a belkin video filter. it appears that it is a known manufacturing problem with sony optical blocks. the discoloration appears on all inputs. my question was more along the lines of the sxrd class action lawsuit. Sony had extended the warranty on those sets and since mine was newer than the ones involved in that lawsuit i had expected a different reply. from my research the repair is worth 50% of the purchase price of my less than 2 year old tv. was it really suppose to fail in that short a period ? is sony really prepared to walk on this problem ?

thanks
mike

Quoting CanadaCustserv <canada_custserv@info.sel.sony.com>:

> Mike,
>
> Thank you for contacting Sony Support.
>
> I'm sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing with the display
> of the Sony TV. Please follow the steps given below to troubleshoot
> the issue and check if the issue is resolved:
>
> -Make sure there is no glare or reflection from an external light
> source on the TV screen.
>
> -Turn off any electrical or battery-operated devices that may be
> creating radio frequency (RF) interference.
>
> -Try plugging the power cord into a different electrical outlet
> and/or surge protector.
>
> -Try connecting different signal source.
>
> -Try using different cables.
>
> -Reset the Television to factory settings. For resetting the TV, turn
> ON the TV. While holding down the up arrow button on the remote
> control, press the POWER button on the TV. (The TV will turn itself
> then back ON again). Release the up arrow button.
>
> WARNING: The Reset will clear all of your customized settings
> including Parent Lock settings.
>
> If the issue persists after following all the steps service will be
> required. You can find repair information and initiate service at:
>
> http://www.sony.ca/view/servicelocator.htm
>
> Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.
>
> Sony of Canada, Ltd.
> C6ME
> Ron
>
>
> This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended
> recipients and may contain confidential information. If you are not
> the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received
> this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution
> or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited.
> If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and
> delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your
> computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.
>
> Original Message Follows:
> ------------------------
> Email Address: ############
> Name : mike
> Address :
> :
> :
> Phone : 3068962711
> Prod Category: kf-50e200a
> Subject : Projection
> O/S : Linux/Unix
> Model/SN : kf-50e200a /
> Region :
>
> Message : I bought this tv on december 26 2006 at the brick. it
> was recieved february 10 2007 and show a manufacture date of january
> 2007. in july 2008 i started to experience a blue haze discoloration
> in the upper corners along with a horizontal line approx. 10 cm from
> the top the width of the tv. at first i thot it was my bulb as the
> red indicator was seen 3 times appearing intermittently over a period
> of a month. i have replaced the bulb only to have the distortion
> appear in the brighter picture. upon some investigation it appears
> that this is a problem with the optical block over many sony models.
> i have registered with a few forums and upon discussion it appears
> that after a year and a half my tv is only going to become
> unwatchable. is sony presently aware of this and if so what is being
> done about it ?
>
>

If you say it can't be done ...
What you mean is you can't do it !!!

In my last post I stated that OneCall has the 52W for $1745. This is incorrect.

I was thinking of the 52V, and that price is now actually $1599. OneCall is standing firm at $2095 on the 52W for some reason while Best Buy and Circuit City both have the set for $1899.

I think the 52V deal at OneCall is great and Circuit City also has the 46Z/S for $1449.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-46-BRAVIA-Z-Series-LCD-HDTV-Silver-KDL46Z410 0-S/sem/rpsm/oid/233168/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=91493

The longer you wait, the better the deals get!

Username: Janet_and_steve

Lisa:
thanks for the link to PC World! Here is a copy of my post regarding Sony and their customer service (user name NoSony4Me):

I wish all these new Sony customers good luck when their new sets start to falter within a few years after purchasing them. Which is exactly what is happening to thousand of Rear Projection Tv owners with optical block issues. Many have paid up to $5000.00 for their sets within the last 4-5 years only to be told by Sony, sorry your set does not qualify to be repaired but they give them the opportunity to purchase another set at their so called reduced pricing. Which many of these so called offers are insulting to the people who now have a very big and expensive paper weight in their living room. Sony does not stand behind their customers or their products. There has already been one class action lawsuit against Sony for the optical block issue in a few certain models. The optical blocks in the rear projection tv's by Sony are all defective and they know it but refuse to do the right thing. So I wish all of you luck with your new hdtv from Sony because I am sure in the future you will experience some of what the owners of the rear projection tv owners have. Sony's customer service is anything but.

haha. so i have begun dialog with sony. it is comical. second sony reply instructed me to consult an authorized dealer as i had anticipated. i didn't anticipate the disclaimer they tacked on the end saying it was prohibited to reproduced or post our correspondance. i then used sony.com's tech locator as instructed. closest service tech is 182 km. pickt up the phone and called their number. after a short description of the problem i was quoted $900 for a light engine. thats 50% of the purchase price. plus a bulb to quiet the intermittent red indicator ='s over 1100 in expected maintenance by sony engineer's. plus shipping to get it to the tech as he won't travel to my location. funny that the tech suggested a new tv. did a sony authorised tech implied that sony rptv's are disposable? who has a good lcd panel these days ? think samsung or lg may sell me a new tv this boxing day.

i should add my tv was manufactured in january 2007.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us