DirecTV DVR HDMI-CEC support?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12234
Anyone know for sure if the DirecTV HR22-100 HD DVR supports C.E.C. over HDMI?

Techs at DTV had no earthly idea what CEC even is.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12238
sorry. thought someone here might know something about a DVR beyond how to steal a signal..

Gold Member
Username: Lol

Post Number: 1324
wow your mean

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3910
Now
Why would yo ask them a question like that?
CEC is for transport control
Meaning if yo connect a MAC to CamCorder via HDMI
This allows the MAC computer to take over commands like fast forward and rewind etc.

The DVR HDMI is a consumer unit to be connected straight to yor TV
Has nothing to do beyond transport control

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 1936
I hope Jimmy don't here you talkin like that.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3912
As far as I know about HDMI
It's one of HDMI pins

I think what yor looking for is the AV-Link
And I don't think it's the CEC

Yo could of asked them if the DVR is 1.3 or 1.2
The answer is 1.2

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12241
Has nothing to do with Macs.

CEC is a subset of the HDMI 1.2a protocol, using pin 13 to send remote controller commands via the HDMI cable so you can hide components of your AV system in a discrete location, or even another room, and still control them via any HDMI-CEC compliant device within iR range of your remote (i.e., a Television on the wall.)

In this case, anyone using HDMI to connect their DVR to a Receiver, and HDMI from receiver to TV with support for EZ-Sync, VIERAlink, Sony Theater-Link, or any other commercial name for the same (CEC) protocol should be able to answer it he or she happens to be using a direcTV HR2x model HD DVR connected via HDMI.

Just about every TV and decent HDMI capable AV receiver and television on the market now supports HDMI CEC, under whatever name the specific company calls it.

I have an HR22, and am upgrading to a CEC compliant AV receiver, television, and BD player. I just want to find out if the HR22-100 I already have supports the CEC protocol subset, and/or if it causes any problems. I know the Dish DVRs actually crash the CEC protocol, locking up the ability to use CEC to control any other device, while not even supporting CEC themselves (good job, Dish.) So, some people are cutting pin 13 on their Dish HDMI cables to allow CEC to function.

I, however have DirecTV, and a different DVR, however, much like dish, the techs at DTV have utterly no idea what CEC is, what revision of HDMI their DVRs use, or if the feature is supported, so I turned to you, the masses, in hopes that someone might have tried this and could report in.
That's all.

thanks for the suggestions though.

PS, by CEC, I mean Consumer Electronics Control.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEC_(consumer_electronics_control)

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12242
Oh, also in regards to the HDMI revision, CEC has been supported since version 1.2a, but a device can be 1.3b rev and yet still not support the CEC subset. It's up to the manufacturer if they write in the extra code more or less. That's the problem I'm having finding out for sure.

In addition Paul, I was teasing about the signal stealing.. just seems to be what 90% of the threads are for, and I didn't get a single response till my comment.. haha

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3913
Most people refer to recent changes from 1.2 to 1.3
As more bits for color from 24 bits to upto 48 bits
And higher bandwidth
From 4.9 to 10.2Gbps
CEC pin 13 was moved to pin 14

In any case
Best way to refer to 2006 changes is HDMI 1.3
1.2 HDMI ports and cables can not be used anymore
Manufacturers have to change HDMI interface connectors
And users must use new 1.3 HDMI cables

Peace bro
Mac use for HDMI is for future
I use firewire

Gold Member
Username: Oleg1474

Florida Usa

Post Number: 1148
GlassWolf !!! DIRECTV - New Software: H23-600. Find out more here. H23-600 0x4086
National release started 1/7/09.DTV send signal apr. on&off ,works ok+/-Thank you Oleg Ph.D

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12244
Nice, Thanks Dr. Oleg. I appreciate it.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12246
OK! If anyone else is curious, the HR22 DVR is HDMI version 1.1 compliant, and does NOT support CEC.

At least not at the time of this posting. I have suggested this as a future firmware upgrade to DirecTV via one of their forums.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3917
Dr. Oleg was trying to say
H23 models will be HDMI 1.3

Currently DTV installs for New Customers
H21 for basic HD
And HR21 for HD-DVR Receivers
1080i
Record 50 hours of HD
14 days program guide

Also for the record
DishNet New HD Turbo supports HDMI 1.3
Which can carry 1080p 60 cycles per second Progressive Scan
1000Mbps

I have a question for yo GlassWolf
What is it that yo were trying to do with CEC support?

Those receivers were released around 2002 and clearly were not 1.3 HDMI complience of 2006

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12248
as I've noted a few times now, I was trying to get CEC support on my HR22, which isn't going to happen, and I don't know that it's supported on the HR23 either.
The HDMI revision doesn't really matter that much since CEC was implemented since version 1.0, but the reason I want it is for remote control of the DVR when installed in a discrete location unreachable via iR or RF. I'd like to have the components mountes "out of sight" and thus controllable via the HDMI cable for unified standby/power on, volume and channel control, and so forth.

My current TV, AV receiver, and BD player all support CEC via HDMI. It'd be nice if the DVR did too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us