Where do all the broken TV's go??

Username: Mjm3sr

Post Number: 2
I've given up hope of trying to repair the green vertical line issue with my Sony KDF-E55A20 and decided to discard it. My question is to those members who have taken the discount offer from Sony for replacement TV's due to optical block or melted lamp doors. What did you do with your old TV after you received the new one? I would like to hear from as many members as possible. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12177
60 Minutes just did a special on this actually. These "Green recycling" centers that take old electronics, ship them to China, where they are dumped in a big above ground land fill, causing the area to be so toxic from lead, chromium, and other things found in CRTs and electronics, that the land is nearly uninhabitable, leading to birth defects and so forth for the residence of that region.

Sad, eh?

Silver Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 161
RCA took back three televisions due to lack of parts. I was kind of surprised they wanted them because of shipping costs, but they did.

In many instances, there are companies in the U.S. who actually take apart computers and televisions and recycle the valuable parts such as those mentioned by GlassWolf.

Username: Mjm3sr

Post Number: 3
The info from members so far has been good, but I'm specifically looking for members who had to discard their Sony TV's due to optical block or melted front lamp issues. I know Sony doesn't want them back. I'm asking what you did with them. It was mentioned Craigslist or similar sites, auction sites, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us