Samsung 750, and 850

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 513
anyone here have a Samsung 750 or 850? doesn't matter which size. I bought the 750 about 6 or 7 months ago, and I absolutely love the picture, but at the same time it shows alot of the flaws in the videos.....blu rays, sattelite, whichever.....my maon thing is that i can see defects in the blu rays....is it the blu ray, or my tv?

anyways, i also would like to know what other owners of this tv think of it as compared to others, and if anyone here owns an 850, how is it? i saw the 46, and it was amazing, but im not sure if it was any better than the 750. Thanks. -Mike

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 10251
I JUST BOUGHT THE SAMSUNG 750 LIKE LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-)

but i dont have it yet. i am waiting on the store to call me when they get the next shipment in. :-):-):-)

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10252
up to the 850 it is just more and more bells and whistles. when you get to the 950 though it features the LED backlit screen which pushes the Dynamic contrast ratio to 1,000,000:1

the ratios are all tested different and none can be truly accurate but the LED backlit screen is supposed to be a lot brighter and give much greater color depth and richness as well to blacks and shadows as well.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10253
what kind of defects???
do you have the Blu-Ray set to 1080p?
do you have the 120hz AutoMotion plus turned OFF when you are watching movies?

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10254
one more post. lol

the 650 got Editors Choice on Consumer Reports and CNET.com for price and performance.

the 750 didnt b/c of the extra $300 worth of features it has they didnt think was worth the price. but other than that they have the exact same pic quality.

Silver Member

Santa Maria, California United States

Post Number: 514
so i should wait until the 950 comes out... I love the idea of 1,000,000:1 contrast....i heard that Sony is coming out with an LCD that will have a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

honestly, i dont really think that the 750 has that great of "bells and whistles" the one thing i wanted was Pip, granted it has it, but it's limited to say a blu ray, and cable, i like watching dvd's and playing video games at the same time...i would think for $3,000 they could have made it as such.

ok, for the technical stuff.

am I not suppose to watch movies with the 120hz on? because I do, so what does that mean?

Yes, the Blu-Ray is set to 1080P, the picture looks beautiful and everything, don't get me wrong, but I can notice at times, ghost's, or digitization around objects in a fast moving scene, or when someone walks by a wall or something..which i thought thats what the 120hz was supposed to take care of.

what do you think? flaws in the Blu-Ray that the tv displays, or is it the tv itself cant handle the picture it's being fed?

Thanks for all of your help, and information. i'm glad you told me about the 950

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
and Congratulations on your 750! hopefully you get it soon!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12182
don't be mislead by contrast ratios on paper. there is no industry standard for measurement, and a million to one ratio is typically a dynamic measurement, measuring black and white separately, as opposed to a static ratio where black and white are measured at the same time on the screen.
a million to one dynamic ratio can prove to be 30K:1 static, so be careful.

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
so I guess I'll just have to judge it with my eyes then.

is there a tv out for now that has true black?

my grandpa was telling me about a tv at some convention, that they had people walk into a a dark room, and then a signal came on over the tv's, and the black walls, was actually a tv.... that's how black the screen was...and the tv's were on, they weren't off then turned on... sorry that i dont remember the brand or model, im pretty sure it was a plasma though. is something like that out, or is it still in the prototype phases?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12185
just about any CRT TV can do "blacker than black" or "true black" levels. Mitsubishi actually made a "black diamond" series tube for direct view tube sets in the 1980s that did true black to amazing levels, but was discontinued due to some sort of environmental contaminants the production of these tubes produced. (I have one in 27" still. It's a nice set for it's size.)
As for a flat panel LCD or Plasma, no, none of them will attain the level of a CRT set for contrast or black level. OLED is said to do this, but for now it's cost prohibitive, as an 11" OLED television currently sells for something like $27,000 US. (take a look on Crutchfield.)

DLP is reported to offer good black levels, and the better plasma sets have very good contrast, and unless you're ISF level exacting about it, you'd probably be perfectly happy with a good Plasma set from a large name company such as Panasonic, Toshiba, or similar.
Look at CNET reviews to see what the editors think. They seem to love the current plasma panasonics (VIERA series)

I hope I've helped a bit. You should google some articles on DLP vs CRT vs Plasma vs LCD to read up on the comparisons. Good stuff written on the topic.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12186
oh, also world's largest plasma TV is 103" right nowm if I recall. It's friggin huge, but not quite room sized, unless they paneled several sets.
for what it's worth

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
Thanks that is helpful...kind of...haha, it's making me question my plans on buying the 950....I've heard of OLED, but I don't know anything about it... have CRT's been discontinued? or do you have to special order it? I never see them at the stores anymore...I had the 37" Panasonic 1080i CRT before I got my 750...I kind of regret f=getting rid of it, but I was tired of lugging the 200+ pound tv everywhere.

In your personal opinion, do you like DLP? DLP hurts my eyes, theres almost this rainbow look in it on white screens, and green colors, I can't stare at a DLP set, my eyes start hurting,my parents have a nice 60" Sony...something DLP, it's not as bad as the cheaper DLP's, but I still notice it.... do you know what I'm talking about, or no?

Either way, thank you for your information, you have been extremely informative and helpful...I wish I knew people around here that were knowledgeable in such things.

103"!? I want it! haha depends on the picture quality though....

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12191
yeah look that 103" plasma up on google images. Its sexy haha

I've seen the infamous rainbow effect on DLP. It's supposed to be mostly eliminated on better sets these days I've heard, but it remains to be seen by me, as I'm not near a big CC type store to go browse the sets on a regular basis. I get the chance every few months when I go across state to the bigger cities.

I looked at DLP, almost bought one, but decided to go plasma instead. My TV for the last 6 or 7 years has been a Mitsubishi 46" widescreen CRT rear projection set (RPTV) that's 1080i.
You can still buy RP sets, but as noted, they are big and heavy and cost about as much as an LCD or Plasma these days if not more, so typically if someone wants a high end CRT set now, they go with a projector and a light controlled room.
CRT has disadvantages like the need for convergence alignment, viewing angle limitations, and sheer size for RP sets, but It's still widely agreed upon that CRT is still the best technology for image accuracy both in the HT world, and the graphics world of computers.

OLED won't be affordable, or large enough for HT use for a number of years yet I fear, so I wouldn't wait for that one, though it is very promising. It's supposed to be the best of everything, if you can afford it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 520
aren't DLP's going the way of the dinosaur? I'm seeing less and less of them in electronic stores...to tell you the truth, I don't actually think I saw one the last time I was at best buy....but then like you, they don't have much in this small city.

arent DlP's cheap....is DLP the same as an RP? sorry, but I'm not sure how the DLP works... because when I bought my 750, I almost bought a DLP because I could have got a 62" for less than half the price of my 750, but I took quality over quantity.

I'm going to look up the OLED, i think that's what my grandpa told me about, he tried explaining how it worked, and it went right over my head.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12194
OK in order with the questions:

DLP is still developing, but not to the extent of LCD and Plasma namely becasue people seem to want the thinner, less obtrusive flat panels these days, The flat panel technologies require less care and upkeep, and as the technology improves, the price has been steadily coming down and into the price range that the typical family can now afford.
I was at a local CC closing recently (two hours from me.. that's local around ehre haha) and they had a number of DLP sets on clearance. Mostly from what I recall, by Mitsubishi and Samsung.

Yes per inch of diagonal viewing screen size, DLP is relatively cheap. Cheaper than Plasma and LCD due to being cheaper to produce for one thing. You can pick up a good(?) Samsung DLP 58-65" DLP set for around two grand, which is still considerably less than other technologies.

RP is rear projection, of which there are two popular or common types. DLP (digital light processing) and CRT (cathode ray tube.)
CRT is your typical old school projection TV using three color electron guns (red, green, blue) to project the image from the guns onto a mirror, then onto the phosphor screen where the electron beams scanning the screen produce luminesence. DLP uses what's called a color wheel and a white lamp. The lamp shines light through a spinning high velocity wheel with the primary colors, which are then refracted off of many small mirrors to directly produce the image you see on the screen. TI (texas instru) has a good description of how DLP works on DLP.com My explanation isn't as good as the pictures are.

OLED is Organic Light Emitting Diode technology. That and CED are the newest developing techs out there, and while they are the best, they are also, much like Plasma was at the start, far outside the affordability of most people, and not widely available in the public market yet.
Those will be a while in the coming still.

Silver Member

Post Number: 525
they can't make CRT's very big can they? wasn't the biggest CRT like a 42"?

it seems like CRT's are the most complicated to make.

wow.....your towns smaller than mine....our CC just closed too, just as well they were over priced. at least we still have best buy.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10266
to answer your question about the 120hz Auto Motion Plus.

almost every website i have been to recommends you turn that setting to OFF when watching film based sources. something about the engine shows artifacts in the film that arent meant to be seen. also you shouldnt have it on when watching sports games...they use the example with hockey about a "triple puck" effect on screen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
i thought sports was what it was for? so what is 120hz for? just video games?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12197
42" was the largest direct view CRT yes, but don't forget rear-projection and front projectors.
RP can be had in 72", and projectors.. well, whatever size you want your wall screen to be.

Bronze Member
Username: Onecall

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 28
"my grandpa was telling me about a tv at some convention, that they had people walk into a a dark room, and then a signal came on over the tv's, and the black walls, was actually a tv.... that's how black the screen was...and the tv's were on, they weren't off then turned on... sorry that i dont remember the brand or model, im pretty sure it was a plasma though. is something like that out, or is it still in the prototype phases?"

It was most likely the Pioneer Plasma, I was told by someone who saw the demonstration at CES last year they had one TV setup displaying a loop feed about the new Pioneer models. All the while right next to it was a second TV that you couldn't see until they started a video demonstration playing. I hear it was quite an impressive demonstration.

Regarding your question on the 750 and 850 seris TVs, as far as I am aware the only real difference is the 850 TV is thinner without the pedestal stand. Otherwise as far as I can tell by the specs they are virtually the same.

Matt @ OneCall

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
thank you OneCall..then there is no point in upgrading until the 950 comes out. assuming the wife approves. haha

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 32
If I had either the 750 or 850 series, I'd have to see some significant improvements to justify upgrading.

If you haven't seen it already and you really want to see a spectacular picture you should try and check out the Mitsubishi LaserVue TV.

I was amazed when I saw the picture compared to some of the top LCD models.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12208
I just started looking at that Mitsu LaserVue technology recently. What exactly is it? Their site doesn't give much in the way of actual technical information, and as an engineer, I'm overly nosey.

PS< OneCall is a good shop. I bought my last AV Receiver from them. My Onkyo TX-DS797. Thankfully they are an authorized dealer, so it was covered under warranty when one of the DSP boards failed under a recall.

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 34
"PS< OneCall is a good shop. I bought my last AV Receiver from them. My Onkyo TX-DS797. Thankfully they are an authorized dealer, so it was covered under warranty when one of the DSP boards failed under a recall."

Thank you, I'm sorry to hear the Onkyo had to be serviced. I have a 787 at home that's still going strong but hardly gets used.

Unfortunately I do not have very much knowledge from the technical side on the LaserVue. Basically it's using the same micromirror as a DLP TV, however the light source comes from the three lasers.

That's about all I could get out of them when our factory rep was to demonstrate the TV. If I can get any more details I'll try to let you know.

For their Demonstration they hooked up two of the currently available & top rated LCD TVs with an HDMI distribution hub with a Blu-Ray player. With the same image on all three screens side by side the differences were quite easy to see. The LaserVue displayed incredible detail in dark and black textures.

Matt @ OneCall

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12216
yeah DLP technologies have their up sides when they work. Personally I went from CRT RPTV to Plasma instead.

Apparently on the 797 they had a recall due to a DSP board that caused a clicking in the left channel for any audio source. I had it serviced at a local auth'ed repair center, and all was well after that. Still using that 797 on a daily basis today.
Overall, I like Onkyo quite a bit. They seem to have the best competition for Denon in receivers with price vs features and performance. Everything else I've seen has always been more expensive, or came up short on features or output quality in some form or another. It's always nice when you have at least a couple of good choices available.

Thanks for the info on the Mits sets. I thought it might be some veiled spin off on DLP. I've seena few angles on the light source now. laser, LED, lamps..

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10271
well Excursion. it is seeming to be that way. they showcase it on movies, but the majority of tv and film buffs says it degrades the quality of the film by exposing artifacts on screen. sooooo yeah. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
Well at it's nice to see someone else who has a 787. I'm a big time Onkyo fan.

Laservue? I'm going to have to google that, to see the price of it, and whatever info I can find on it.. which probably won't be much if you couldn't find anything on it.

Matt, so onecall is an actual store, or an online thing?

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12230
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/L65A90

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
sounds like an amazing tv

Bronze Member

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 36
"Matt, so onecall is an actual store, or an online thing?"

Correct, OneCall is an electronics mail order company and an Authorized Retailer for all the products we offer. We also have a retail store in Spokane, WA. You'll actually find I've been posting specials and deals in the Coupons & Deals section of the forum here.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/coupons/516831.html

Since I've started posting our deals and specials I figure I can also browse the threads and put my 12+ years in electronics sales and support to good use by trying to answer product and support questions where I can. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if there's anything you're looking for otherwise outside of the coupons and deals post I really have no intention of trying to sell anything.

OneCall is actually one of the few select retailers offering the LaserVue TV. Even at $7k we can't seem to keep them in stock.
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=93141&BCPID=200

The LaserVue TV should be very interesting with all the benefits of the DLP technology and without the concern of needing to change the lamp or light engine. A projection TV that is light enough to even mount on the wall. The system uses a three laser system with a "Pure Red" laser that provides more accurate red tones. And significantly greater black levels since they have more complete control over the light emitted from each laser. The 65 inch is just the start; they were planning a 70+ screen size but ran into complications with parts availability, the technology can support a screen size greater than 100 inches without sacrificing image quality.

Matt @ OneCall
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us