MLB Network

Username: Makeck

Post Number: 1
The Major League Baseball Network launches today...does anyone know if DN will be carrying it and what channel it will be located on? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1636
MLB Network is a television specialty channel, primarily owned by Major League Baseball, set to launch at 6:00 PM Eastern Time on January 1, 2009 into over 50 million homes in the United States. Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner and Cox Communications have minority ownership of the new network, with MLB retaining a controlling two-thirds share.

It was reported that when DirecTV and Major League Baseball completed their deal for MLB Extra Innings in 2007, the deal will include DirecTV carrying Major League Baseball's league owned MLB Network, at first on an exclusive basis. With the later agreement between MLB and iN DEMAND expanding the distribution of Extra Innings to cable, it was announced the MLB Network will also be carried on most major cable services starting January 1, 2009. The channel will air Saturday night games (and possible games on other days) and a daily highlight show (although ESPN's Baseball Tonight will be protected for the duration of ESPN's current TV deal).

Carriage
The network has signed contracts with 36 cable and satellite carriers. In a deal that may be copied by other sports league owned channels, MLB tied carriage of the MLB Network to the ability to carry the popular out of market MLB Extra Innings package. In return, cable and satellite providers were offered a minority share of the new network.

International
As of December 2008, no announcements have been made about MLB Network availability outside the U.S., particularly in Canada, home of the Toronto Blue Jays. Network officials have been in contact with Blue Jays owner (and Canada's largest cable company) Rogers Communications about making MLB Network available in Canada, but have emphasized that a deal is not imminent.

In August 2008, Rogers secured CRTC approval for a Canadian digital channel tentatively called "Baseball TV", which has not yet launched. This license could be used to launch a Canadianized version of MLB Network, similar to the current Raptors NBA TV. Alternatively, MLB and a sponsoring cable or satellite company (such as Rogers) could seek separate CRTC approval to import the U.S. channel directly, as has been done with NFL Network.

MLB Network HD
MLB Network HD will be a 720p high definition simulcast of MLB Network, which will launch simultaneously to the regular channel. All studio programs will be shot in HD. The network is also currently remastering 30 World Series Films in high definition.

According to a December 15, 2008 Broadcasting & Cable article: After much discussion, MLB Network decided to use the 720p format instead of 1080i because it believes 720p shows the motion of baseball more accurately and will degrade less when recompressed by cable operators to save bandwidth. As Mark Haden (VP of engineering and IT of MLB Network) says: "That's our best shot of maintaining quality to viewers." The 720p format is also used by MLB broadcast partner Fox and many of the Fox Sports Net regional sports networks (which hold the rights to local game coverage of several teams), along with ESPN and ABC.

DirecTV will carry the HD version. Verizon FiOS has also come to an agreement with MLB to carry the MLB Network in SD and HD. Cablevision has announced they will carry the HD version. Some Time Warner Cable systems will as well.

So don't expect to see it on DN...

Username: Makeck

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your detailed response, jfhh's

Gold Member

Post Number: 1638
your welcome..

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 13693
A bunch of Greek philosophers were sitting arguing about the number of teeth in a horse's mouth and not coming to a conclusion. The an old farmer walked in with a horse, opened the horse's moth and asked them to count the teeth.

So, I looked at 110W (Echo 10/11) and on Channel 625 there is a start of something showing.
On 633 you are expecting Vacouver v. ...... soon.
The MLB channels are 625 onwards up to about 635 on 110W (Echo 10/11).

Oh! by the way, I fortunately, do not have a Greek wife.

Happy New Year!!!
Q.E.D.

Gold Member
Username: Dimwitt

Post Number: 1027
Look again nalin , it appears you have erred.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13696
I said and I confirm, that the 625 is showing, and 633 EPG says wait for Vancouver v. ....."
I am watching the Tournament of Roses with my grandchildren and when I get a chance to go back MLB, I will post again. In the meantime, I will affirm what I saw.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13697
110W (Echo 10/11)
MLB extra Ining channel 625. Now showing in EPG and on TV: Winter Classic - Pregame
MLB Channel 633: EPG says Coming up: Vancour v. Nashville

I haven't had a chance to look at what is happening on 119W.

I suggest you get a Greek wife - She can at least explain to you the meaning of Q.E.D.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13698
Esvaldo Chevez and punjavi doo ad the rest of the trouble making idiots.

You better make a new year resolution to be more factual and less idiocy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1640
nalin... for once can you just STFU..an not interrupt and post WRONG info...MLB channels and the MLB Network channel (which is what the thread is about) and asked by the thread starter, are NOT the same...ya need to learn to read English, before U stick your foot in your mouth as usual...

he's asking about apples, and U are talking about oranges..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13700
justforhahas and the rest of your idiot clan:

You are all drunk from last night's revelry. This is what is showing on a CW800s in Toronto. You should get a better receiver with a good BIN

MLB on 110W '" Echo 10/11

These are showing up on EPG but no TV,except 625 which has TV

625 MLB Extra inning: Winter Classic Pregame followed by 2008 Winter classics
628 MLB: No EPG
629 MLB: No EPG
630 MLB: No EPG
633 Coming up: Vacouver vs. Nashville
636 MLB: No EPG
638 MLB: No EPG

MLB on 119W '" Echo 7
These are showing up on EPG but no TV

629 MLB: Coming up: Buffallo vs. Toronto
630 MLB: Coming up: Buffallo vs. Toronto
631 MLB: Coming up: Tampa Bay vs. Washingon
632 MLB: Coming up: Tampa Bay vs. Washingon
633 MLB: No EPG
638 MLB: NFL Center Ice
639 MLB: NFL Center Ice

Silver Member
Username: Jay_w_grayson

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 184
}

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13701
More details on INFO.

MLB on 110W '" Echo 10/11

These are showing up on EPG but no TV,except 625 which has TV

625 MLB Extra inning: Winter Classic Pregame. 2.00pm '" 3.00 pm 2008 Winter classics
629 MLB: No EPG
630 MLB: No EPG
633 Coming up: Vacouver vs. Nashville
NHL center Ice today at 08.00 pm ET.

NHL center Ice gives you up to 40 games per week that are not available in your local area. To order call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) today.
636 MLB: No EPG
638 MLB: No EPG

MLB on 119W '" Echo 7
These are showing up on EPG but no TV

629 MLB: Coming up: Buffallo vs. Toronto
630 MLB: Coming up: Buffallo vs. Toronto
NHL center Ice today at 07.00 pm ET.

NHL center Ice gives you up to 40 games per week that are not available in your local area. To order call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) today.

631 MLB: Coming up: Tampa Bay vs. Washingon
632 MLB: Coming up: Tampa Bay vs. Washingon
NHL center Ice today at 07.00 pm ET.

633 MLB: No EPG
638 MLB: NFL Center Ice
639 MLB: NFL Center Ice

Gold Member
Username: Dimwitt

Post Number: 1028
Baseball = summer sport - no winter classic

Nalin, your epg has the channels mislabeled - they are nhl channels

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13702
Tooter: Thanks for your info.
I am only reporting what I am seeing on the TV.
It so happens that I was testing a CW800s, when this thread showed up. I did a alphabetic sort and reported what I saw under MLB.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13703
Tooter: If they are mislabelled channels then I would have to report to the CW programmers to get their database in shape. I note that their database has some quirks, that I did not see under Pansat 2500/2700 and sonicview.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13704
Tooter:
You said: "Baseball = summer sport - no winter classic"
At the same time the MLB network is starting on 1st January, 2009, i.e. right in the middle of winter.
This just does not add up. Any explanation?

Silver Member

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 185
Nalin Nyda now is the time to find out whether you are a she or a he.
If you are a man like you have said,you can start the New Year by apologizing
to justforhaha's. A smart FTA Tester will check his sources if he is not sure before he post. The Fun Bunch above that you and Plymouth keep calling idiots will be waiting. The ball is in your court are you a she or a he?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13706
Jay_w_grayson: I do not apologise for something I do not have to apologise for.
This is a FTA forum and not a sport forum.

As I said before, people like you, who are absconding from school, will find that their jealosy turns into hate. I recognise the type by the simple fact that they do not post anything useful and are spending an inordinate amount of time in their pursuit of hate.

Good day and GOOD BYE
I hope you mummy LK taught you the meaning of the words "Good Bye"

Silver Member

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 187
Nalin Nyda
Platinum Member

Post Number: 13706
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jay_w_grayson: I do not apologise for something I do not have to apologise for.
This is a FTA forum and not a sport forum.

Since you know nothing much about either one why did you stick your nose in this thread.

Btw---- Kevmakeck started this thread and ask a question.
justforhaha's answer his question.
Kevmakeck thanks justforhaha's
justforhaha's answer you are welcome

Now here comes the real satellite forum trouble maker.
Talking about school and useful FTA info.
I do know enough to correct your dumbAss.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13715
A good C/P from bizofbaseball.com

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2741:s ome-mlb-network-subscribers-find-blank-screens-on-first-day&catid=48:ei-mlb-netw ork&Itemid=82

Subscriber Confusion Surrounds MLB Network Launch
Written by Maury Brown
Friday, 02 January 2009 16:29
MLB Network hit the ground running yesterday, with Commissioner Bud Selig addressing fans two-minutes before 6pm ET (watch Selig's address), and then airing MLB Hot Stove, a show dedicated to the action in baseball's off-season. But some of the approximately 50 million subscribers expecting to see the new channel were met with blank screens, a product of service level requirements, possible hardware issues, and in at least one instance, a local cable company not having digital service up and running by launch time.
The largest factor, for those that may be expecting to have access to MLB Network, revolves around what is deemed to be the 'basic' package. A key point for distribution of MLB Network stemmed from negotiations in April of 2007 for MLB's out of market package, Extra Innings. While Extra Innings was initially going to be granted to DirecTV as a monopoly, eventually the cable consortium of iNDemand was able to broker a deal to continue to gain access to Extra Innings, but it was stipulated by MLB that MLB Network would also have to be carried, and on the basic tier, the most widely available. According to MLB Network, the distribution deal brokered with all carriers is that all must broadcast on the digital basic, or the carrier's equivalent, a key difference from early reports. Those that have analog service, no matter the carrier, will need to upgrade.
The exception for the lowest level of digital service required for MLBN, at this stage, appears to be DirecTV. MLB Network is on the Choice package and above. Choice is the level just above what DirecTV deems as "Family", or the lowest level. ESPN, and other sports offerings, are not on the Family level of service.
A statement released from MLB Network said, 'MLB Network successfully launched on January 1 in approximately 50 million homes. MLB Network is carried by most major cable and telco providers as well as DirecTV on digital basic or expanded basic. As has been widely reported, MLB Network is not carried a specialized sports tier, but does require customers to subscribe to digital basic cable or the equivalent. Fans can consult the channel locator on MLBNetwork.com to see where it is available in their zip code, and should call their cable, satellite or telco provider if they have further questions.'
Some carriers may also not be fully upgraded to digital service. In Los Angeles, Bob Timmermann of Baseball Toaster: The Griddle (living in the South Pasadena area) reported that Time Warner customer service said 90 percent of the area was getting MLB Network, that most not getting service now would get the channel sometime next week, and some would need to wait until February 10th or 11th. MLB Network could not yet confirm whether this was due to parts of Time Warner's service area being upgraded fully to digital service, while some areas may not.
There were also issues reported with Time Warner Cable in the Albany-Schenectady region of New York. New York Capital region subscribers there did not get MLB Network until 11pm ET, according to Ken Schott of the Schenectady Gazette MLBN confirm that this was a technical issue at the time MLB Network went on the air.
There were also reports that Comcast subscribers in the Portland and Denver area were unable to catch MLB Network. MLBN reports that they have been in contact with Comcast in these markets and the systems were up and running at launch as part of their distribution agreements.
Reports have also filtered into the Business of Sports Network that some using TiVo players with cable cards are unable to access the channels listed. In the cases reported, subscribers had premium packages. Others, however, have reported that the systems are working properly. MLB Network is looking into the issue at this time. A technical issue has been reported in the past with premium channels and TiVos with cable cards, most notably those looking to watch NHL's Center Ice.
The other subscriber dissatisfaction stems from lack of HD channels for some carriers.
While some issues are said to be getting ironed out, other issues may take far longer. HD distribution appears to still be in its infancy for MLB Network, and as mentioned in our interview with Tony Petitti, President and CEO of MLB Network, distribution in Canada and other international markets are still being negotiated.
As MLB Network enters its second day, we'd like to hear if you are having issues gaining access. Please post in the comments.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13716
MLB locator

To answer the two most common questions fans have been asking about the new MLB Network that launches at 6 p.m. ET on Thursday in some 50 million households, it is free for everyone with cable to watch on TV and now you can find it by using the channel locator that was just introduced on Sunday at mlbnetwork.com.

If you have DirecTV, it's on 213. For everyone else, just use the new channel locator and enter your ZIP code as you are accustomed to doing elsewhere on the Internet. You will find a full listing of cable, satellite and telco providers that carry the MLB Network in your area, along with channel listing details in standard and high definition where applicable. In addition, if there are video providers in that ZIP code who do not carry the MLB Network, the channel locator provides a link to send a message to that provider requesting that they add what every fan needs in 2009.

Silver Member
Username: King_of_sats

Post Number: 617

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us