Noob needs a bashing

Username: Angry_barber

Sacramento, CA United States

Post Number: 2
All right everyone.....I'm just going to put this out there and let you all have your way with me right from the get go. I'm new to this forum as well as the FTA world....but not new to the 'Forums'. That being said, I am aware of how fun it is to bash the NOOB for his/her inexperience and lack of knowledge as well as the NOOB's ability to be 'tracker beam' like in attracting ridicule and b/s. ::pant::pant::.... Ok, here goes.

I've been reading on here for a couple of days now paying attention to as much as I could pertaining to the technology, terminology, concept and standards but figure I can only gather so much info without asking questions. ( know my first question is going to open a can of worms.)

I'm currently looking to purchase my first FTA box and am interested in one of HD format. Money isn't a huge issue but like everyone else I would like to spend as little as possible. I've been looking into the Viewsat MAXHD but am not set on this unit as of yet. Is there a unit out there that most can agree on that is on top as quality and performance is concerned??? I have read all the post pertaining to the tech aspects, pros, cons and so forth of the V/S MAXHD and have figured that because of some industry standards/technology changing right now......it's probably best if I should wait a month or two. Could someone explain to me if possible what is in store for the near future of where FTA is going and would it be best to just hold out on any purchase for a bit????? Thanks for your patience and taking the time to read my banter.

Gold Member
Username: Lol

Post Number: 1260
We don't bash the newbies just the NOOBs >insert Plymouth

hold off for a while

If money is no object then go for it hell you might get month worth of dishnet who knows could be more

could also disapear tommorrow and be down for weeks

But do look at the sonicview 8000 Hd it works right out of the box unlike the Viewsats

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 6754
Angry_barber

MaxHD is one of the best box with great support, much better than Sonicview.
MaxHD is Turbo HD(1080p) ready with SK-200 add board, and encryption board can be interchange.

The only problem is, does it work again with N3, you should wait or if you buy it, this box is a exellent receiver for Free to Air with a motorized dish and a Invacom Linear/Circular LNB QPH-031.

Here is the satellite list i get:
15W,22W,30W,43W,61.5W,72W,82W,83W,85W,
87W,89W,91W,93W,95W,97W,99W,101W,103W,
105W,110W,111.1W,119W121W,123W,129W

Silver Member
Username: Tigger_woods

WONT BE GOLFING, UNTIL BUICK OPEN

Post Number: 867
Ya lots of great stuff on true FTA

Bronze Member
Username: Ellisd

Post Number: 20
CW4000HD

Reason: It's a Media Center that doesn't quit when all goes black.

Silver Member
Username: Mucho

Post Number: 853
Tiger Woods the Comedian
Of all the True FTA Satellites with Linear Polarilty there are
only four 4 Birds that have 20 channels or more.
The rest of them are dead meat.
Don't wast your time with them unless you like
to play with your Remote Scanning the Arch.

Hispasat 1D at 30.oW (20) channels
Hispasat 1C at 30.oW (25) channels

Galaxy 19 at 97.oW Total channels (207)
True FTA are (161) the rest channels (46)
are Paid Channels.
System Encryption, Nagravision, Irdeto and Viaccess.

The above three 3 Birds carry mostly International Broadcasting.

Galaxy 18 at 123.oW (45) channels
most of these channels are USA Locals.
Above info. is base only on my experience. There is not much to view
on English channels, I guess that is way they are free.
If you are close to the TV Stations you can do better with a good
Antenna on a Rotor on your roof will give you a better picture in HD
and some movie channels.

A very good New Year to all and to my good friend King Tapeman.

BTW... is the King still around?

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1637
I suggest NOT buying a FTA HD receiver at this point, until the future status of FTA and a hack for the new Nagra 3 encryption, is resolved and more clear..however I would buy a non HD FTA receiver now ( much less expensive) such as a Conaxsat Mini , or a Sonicview 360 Premier for about $135...later if or when Nagra 3 encyrption is hacked , then you will want a 2nd receiver anyways most likely for a 2nd TV, and at that point I would consider a HD receiver...My opinion is that the well known, reliable, user friendly, best supported, long time established, and most popular HD receiver, the Sonicview 8000 V2 (with fan) for $329, is by far the best HD receiver for the average person concerned with TV viewing..I then would use the Conaxsat or Sonicview 360 for my 2nd receiver and use on non HD TV's ..

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 13690
A temporary ivestment of $100-150 at his point in time buying a regular receiver is a better idea. By the time the N3 problem is resolved and the industry has the confidence in being able to support with new BINs, the prices of HD would also come down and what you might buy today for $500, would be available later for $400.
So my recommendation is to buy a CW700s or a Sonicview 360 and get going with a viewing TV and wait for the free availability of N3 BINs before you invest in a HD receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 13699
A temporary ivestment of $100-150 at his point in time buying a regular receiver is a better idea. By the time the N3 problem is resolved and the industry has the confidence in being able to support with new BINs, the prices of HD would also come down and what you might buy today for $500, would be available later for $400.
So my recommendation is to buy a CW700s or a Sonicview 360 and get going with a viewing TV and wait for the free availability of N3 BINs before you invest in a HD receiver.

Username: Angry_barber

Sacramento, CA United States

Post Number: 3
Thanks to everyone that posted useable and relevant information.....I can see that everyone has very different ideas as to what is not only the top box but how and when I should buy it. I'm thinking (like some of you have said) that holding off for a bit might be the smartest thing (and just kick back and watch all of you trash each other). It's kinda amusing and disturbing at the same time. Looks as though we've got a bunch of intelligent people on here that resort to bashing each other because of their differences of opinion. Anyhow......Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us