Sony BDP-S550 remote stopped working

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1865
Went to watch a movie tonight, and my remote has mysteriously stopped working. It worked just fine earlier toady, now even the backlight doesn't work on the remote. I guess this is a sure sign the remote is dead?

Yup - I tried new batteries. Even put them in the right way.

Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3986
I'd guess there's a bad solder connection inside, if the new batteries are good, I've seen them bad out of the package. The remote and backlight can't both die at the same time, obviously there's no power.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1866
I could pick up a universal remote with the Sony, huh David?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3988
Yes. I like the one for all 8910. I haven't found anything it won't operate. It does need upgraded over the phone for some codes, a simple process. With the advanced functions they will e-mail if you ask for them, all functions of the original remote are usually there.

A Sony universal should work but you may not have all functions of the original remote.

I use a Sony RM-AX1400 these days. What it will do is incredible but you need the original remote to get all functions. Got two of them for $10+$10 shipping each on ebay. The thing I like about the Sony is every key can be a macro. I've got macros to change picture settings on the TV and DVD both by just pressing one key. It takes 5 or 6 keys on the TV depending on if I want to go 1 or 2 settings off. It's nice to be able to do it with 1 key. I've got various other functions set to macros too.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1873
Sounds good David. I bit the bullet and picked up a Logitech Harmony One. It's awesome actually. With one tap on the remotes LCD screen, it will turn on my entire system and set all the correct inputs. Not cheap, but it seems to be worth it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3993
The Sony has those too, they call them express keys. I just do it all with macros. It's nice to be able to add delays to the macros, needed in a lot of situations. The 8910 won't do delays and runs out of memory pretty fast. The Sony seems to have unlimited memory.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us