Holy Cow, check this FTA receiver by "King T.M."

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3835
Upload

Cost is about $1100 USD

http://metaboxusa.net/metabox_hd_800ix.htm

The Metabox HD 8001X is the most advanced and flexible Digital Media Player (DMP) also supporting Digital Media Server (DMS) together with Digital Media Player (DMP) in one device. The DMP is supporting H.264 (AVC) HD, WMV9HD and MPEG2,MPEG4 HD video decoding of up to 1080i/p. The Metabox 8001X supporting a myriad of features and functions such as optional up tp 400 GB 3.5 HDD for local content storage

Multicast Streaming (via MPEG2-MPEG4 T.S)
HTTP Streaming
Format:MPEG-1,MPEG-2,MPEG-4part2,MPEG-4part10(H.264),WMV9,WMA,WMAPro,MP3,AAC, Support 1080p HDMI .
AMD 64 Dual Core 690G chip set
Linux Gentoo ,MYTHTV Custom
IR Remote control ,LCD Matrix VDF
S-Video(PAL?NTSC) Composite (PAL/NTSC), DVI-I(1920x1024
Stereo audio out SPDIF
USB 2.0
Support for 3.5" HDD(optional)
VGA Monitors(digital/analogue)
Plasma Screen (support)
LCD TV (support)
TFT Screens (support)
Projectors (support)
Support Tuner: DVBS2, TurboSat (Included)

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 13472
It seems it is Linux based using the Ubuntu version of Linux.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3836
c/p

http://megasatusa.com/Metabox%208001X%20HD.htm

MythUbuntu is a GPL licensed suite of programs that allow you to build the mythical home media convergence box on your own using Open Source software and operating systems. MythTV is known to work on Linux and Mac OS X (PowerPC and Intel). It does not run on Windows

MythUbuntus robust PVR functions allow you to do the following:

You may pause, fast-forward and rewind live Television.
You may install multiple video capture cards to record more than one program at a time or use for picture-in-picture functions.
You may watch and record SDTV and HDTV via firewire if you have a firewire-enabled cable tuner or satellite tuner.
You can have multiple servers (called "backends" in MythTV parlance), each with multiple capture cards in them. All servers are centrally managed and all programs are scheduled by the Master backend.
You can have multiple clients (called "frontends" in MythTV parlance), each with a common view of all available programs. Each client can watch all programs recorded by any of the servers, assuming that they have the hardware capabilities to view the content; a low-powered frontend, for example, will not be able to watch HDTV. Clients can be diskless and controlled entirely by a remote control.
You may use combinations of standard analog capture cards, MPEG-2, MJPEG, DVB, HDTV, USB and firewire capture devices. With a firewire capable backend, MythTV can control a variety of set top boxes often found in digital cable and satellite TV systems.
Program Guide Data in North America is downloaded from www.schedulesdirect.org (a non profit orgainization) for a fee. This service directly replaces Zap2it's DataDirect service (which is no longer available), and provides MythTV almost two weeks of scheduling information. Program Guide Data in other countries is obtained using XMLTV. MythTV uses this information to create a schedule that maximizes the number of programs that can be recorded if you don't have enough tuners.

MythTV implements a UPNP server, so a UPNP client may automatically see content from your MythTV system. N.B.: this feature has not been verified to work on every available UPNP client.
Plugins from the MythTV community provide functionality for: DVDs, Personal Video Collection, Music, Weather, News, Gaming, Netflix and much, much more.

Silver Member
Username: Ez2ctv

Post Number: 113
Only other box out that uses a Linux Platform is the CaptiveWorks 3000 / 4000HD. But it's Linux OS is a strip down basic Linux that is not very user friendly.

What I like about the Metabox is it uses Ubuntu / MythUbuntu. This would be much more user friendly and have a much more broad cupport from the Ubuntu forums.

What We don't know, Who will support this box with updates for "Extra" FTA channels ? (may be a moot point if N3 is not cracked for stand alone.

What I don't like is the cost $ 1,100.00 is way to much for a FTA box even a media server. Hardware cost less than $200.00 and thety are using GPL of linux. so the remainder is price gouging. Even the CaptiveWorks 4000HD at around $ 500.00 is still a bend me over and stick it to me cost. $ 300 - 400 USD and they would sell a ton of them.....When N3 hack is more than a pipe dream.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 13478
I agree $1100 is way too much for the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us