Opinion on which receiver to buy

Silver Member
Username: Mrgreg

Ont. Canada

Post Number: 162
I know this is not a good time to buy one but if i were to I am looking for one with the least downtime.I really want one I dont have to hook up to the internet so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 5986
Greg
Rumor is that Viewsat and Captiveworks are N3 ready.
Vs MaxHD or new Cw hd.
Maxhd 299$ + 60$ for SK200 HD Module Turbo ready

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1405
Least down time the past 3 months is the Conaxsat, never down ..has USB ready too..and inexpensive..

No receivers are nagra 3 ready now...

Silver Member

Ont. Canada

Post Number: 163
Plymouth Iam really not looking for HD at this time but are any of the STB ready for this as well and is CNX a good receiver. I do have a Viewsat Xstreme and it is a very good receiver but I am looking for a USB loadable rec.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1407
WTF...U asked I answered..now u ask a newbie like plymouth again?...buy any POS he tells ya, cause U will get screwed, if ya listen to him!

CNX...USB ready...never down...great receiver...inexpensive...no IRD are N3 ready!

WTF more do ya want!...I'll never try and help ya again..

Silver Member

Ont. Canada

Post Number: 164
Excuse me but I never seen your post before I posted mine.

Bronze Member
Username: Curse429

Post Number: 96
both posted at 9:13pm

Silver Member

Ont. Canada

Post Number: 165
Thanks Mike for pointing that out.

Gold Member
Username: The_coders

Post Number: 1495
Don't mind LK, he's mixing hes meds with booze again

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 1644
Is SeminolePride some kind of g a y thing??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1408
Seminole FLorida is where the biggest FTA rat, TDG aka The DSS Guy aka Veracity, is from and been working with the authorities to save his own azz...so its an easy connection between the 2..

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 13357
Do not take advice from justforhaha's. She will promote the receiver where she gets commissions and ad revenues.

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 1648
Do not take advice from Nalin Nyda.She will fry your receiver and take commissions from dishnetwork for each one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1498
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 264
I bought myself a SonicView 360 a few days ago. I had an issue with pure FTA. When looking at Hispasat 1C/1D, some channels are PAL and Viewsat Platinum does a bad job of converting it to NTSC. Lots of jerking when camera is moving.

A friend of mine came in with a cheap FTA receiver he bought on eBay. Paid something like $30 for it and it did not have the jerking image issue.

I hope SV360 will solve it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Hey SeminolePride. I spent one week in Tampa in 2003 on a training seminar. I could see the Seminole county signs on the roads.

What a great place to visit in June. Before the humidity settles in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1499
Yeah, then it's time to hit Seattle . .

UploadUploadUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1410
The SV 360 premier is also a very good receiver, but doesn't stay up nearly as long as the CNX, but usually has first fixes...none do as well as the CNX..

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 13361
justforhaha's will always promote a receiver where she gets commisions or ads at her site.
Do not listen to her.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5987
Greg Soniview is always down, in june Sv goes down 3 times and Vs up for the month.
The receiver with best support of all is Captiveworks, 700S is USB ready and very low price.

Silver Member
Username: Tigger_woods

WONT BE GOLFING, UNTIL BUICK OPEN

Post Number: 781
All kidding aside, get yourself a Star Choice HD receiver with a medium 55 buck a month subscription.

Me Shultz I know nothing, however there is zero evidence that anybody has had any success with Nagra 3...you do not have to be a rocket scientist to see this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
For your interest, I have had a chance at looking to both BV and SC receivers on same TV last week.

Definitely, SC and their Motorola equipment was superior. Sharp crisp image. Contrasts with BV that displays more and more pixelisation as they add zillion copies of same channels on the same satellite. They have no choice but cut resolution.

BV is terrible. They are going bankrupt anyway. Teachers cannont find a $30BN loaner required to buy it.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5990
The Outer Limits
Which Bev receiver you had compared?

2700 or 3100, bcause new receiver are much superior

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
I would never go with Bell because they do not carry Turner Classic Moviesw TCM. I also believe that SC is just a better price, they have some options. 1 being you can go on seasonal shutdown for up to 6 months once a year, with no fee for hooking back up. comes in handy if Nagra 3 starts up working at some point.

Also you can easily get one unit for the cottage for a extra 5 bucks a month.

They also have basic digital that they do not advertise on their site anymore but you can still ask for it. Its just locals but includes TSN and its all for 20 bucks a month.

Their prices are also cheaper.

I would never get Bell it because they refuse to carry my favorite station TCM

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5991
Tiger
Your point is good, Bell is much better on HD, but both are too expensive if we compare with Dn

Silver Member

Post Number: 783
Have not seen HD yet Plymouth, I have a beautiful 37 inch HD tv that I bought 2 years ago almost, and have yet to have a HD receiver...I have no idea what HD actually looks like. I am wondering if the whole HD thing is overblown?

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
I have looked at a Bell setup in one of their store during the China Olympics. The HD image was terrible (High end PVR with large Samsung LCD monitor). Compared to my Viewsonic HD TV/monitor with rabbit ears in my kitchen, the Bell image was a joke. You could not read an event results billboard on Bell !!!! Too much compression ! My Viewsonic displayed it sharp. Including the fine Chineese fonts.

Yes SC is cheaper. You subscribe to a basic package and you get 16/9 HD in bonus. And US networks at that (you do not get US networks on basic 4/3 sub). Neat !

And SC receiver has this nice audio compression scheme to keep audio levels constant on all channels and during commercials. Lovely

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
TW temporarily put rabbit ears on your HD-TV and you will die !!!!!! It is simply nicer than anything you have seen in life.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1422
Once U watch HD TV, U will be amazed in the difference...especially on sports..its like an old monotone radio and stereo...

I was very reluctant about HD, but once I bought one and the receiver, its amazing...but not suggesting ya buy a HD receiver now...but I'd pay the lil extra to subscribe...In US its only an extra $6 a month for the HD receiver..and well worth it, at least on 1 TV in main house area..

and EVERY Canadian I ever heard speak about Starchoice vs Bev, its a no brainer...Starchoice is like a Mercedes vs a Yugo in all ways..

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5997
The Outer Limits
You are right, the best HD is with rabbits ears, better than Turbo HD which is too much compressed.
All compression with encrypted signal are so bad and when some events are provide in same time is it worse.

Silver Member
Username: Rescate

VENEZUELA, M...

Post Number: 342
wait until dn goes to n3 and see wich one shows channels..

Regards

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5998
RESCATE
Greg ask a receiver non IKS

Silver Member

Ont. Canada

Post Number: 166
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback even though it got off the subject a bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 789
I have had rabbit ears on but I am in such a remote area of Ontario NORTH, that I can barely get a signal on any of my tv`s

Bronze Member
Username: Tdti1

Post Number: 89
If you don't have to many trees there in North Ontario grab a 10' or 12' dish, use a dvb receiver with a v-box and enjoy great programming. If you want to add subs grab a 4dtv.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us