Can apartment complex become an indie cable provider?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 582
i refuse to get cable TV because $50 a month for nothing but infomercials at night when i do my viewing is disgusting, especially when cable isn't commercial free either and most of it's programming except for half a dozen channels sucks... especially the movie networks who only run the absolute worst films.

my apartment building has just gotten new owners who are upgrading and asking for input. i seem to remember hearing of an apartment complex getting it's own dish and subletting it's own converter boxes like an independent cable provider.

i pitched this idea to the new owner, but he could find nothing out. couldn't he buy a satellite dish and lease out converters or tivos himself? i told him i'd pay up to $20 a month for the service if he'd do it.

if it is possible, what do i need specifically to tell him to look into? satellite dishes obviously, a source for converter boxes? FCC licensing?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get clear reception of the half dozen channels (including locals) i'm interested in without subsidizing crap and commercials.

Silver Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 691
Any satellite provider can give the landlord all the answers..most large apartment complexes will NOT do any self installations or anything illegal..if its just an old house with 3-4 apartments then you do some reading at any FTA site and all share a dish and use FTA receivers or share a legit subscription and do self installations, if the landlord and all tenants are willing to assume the risk...be aware that the enforcement of laws will vary by satellite provider and country you are in...in US (mentioned FCC), penalties can be very severe..

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
so you're saying that it can't be done then? but what about "regular" satellite TV, you know, the kind people used to set up in their back yard. if they could do it, why can't an apartment complex?

i'm really getting frustrated with this digital switch BS. now i'm findiong out that you can't record brodcasts to your heart's content anymore researching DVRs! tivo makes you subscribe and you can't transfer DVR to computers to edit out commercials and back them up on DVD!

everywhere you turn some butthead is digging into your wallet for what should be FREE!

Silver Member

Post Number: 694
"Regular" satellite TV is subscribed just like cable TV...The only FREE TV is the locals that you can get off rabbit ears with a converter box beginning in Feb 2009...or a VERY few channels off of a FTA receiver that is used legally...otherwise you need to read my post above again..

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 4067
budget minded u need a dish and a fta reciever,
if ur landlord allow u to install a dish (outside ur balcony)..
yes u can watch free tv...
u can watch all the channels for free.
so first question is can u install a dish outside of ur apartment..
if yes..
then we can go from there..

Silver Member

Post Number: 699
sada....he wants the ENTIRE apartment complex to have FREE TV, NOT just him!..and he wants it legally by having the landlord act as a "sub outlet" contractor for DN or any satellite provider.....go read this thread again!...LMAO

so your post is in left field..as usual!

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 4068
budget minded
Silver Member

Post Number: 583
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 05:49 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so you're saying that it can't be done then? but what about "regular" satellite TV, you know, the kind people used to set up in their back yard. if they could do it, why can't an apartment complex?

i was referring to tha post..

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
"why can't an apartment complex?"

sada, learn to read, both his posts ask the same thing!

Silver Member
Username: Carburante

Post Number: 148
hey buddy, what u do to get free tv u have to do it 4 personal reasons, cause it s illegal?????? , u dont have to involve other people in ur search to obtain any benefits from it. on the contrary, and based on ur good intentions u can open an ONG ( to get FREE TV to everybody on ur building). ayway u can install a portable dish from ur appt, take it out when u ll watch tv and take it in when u dont want to.

good luck bro
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us