Question/Help

Username: Jofee

Post Number: 1
I've been snooping around this forum for about a couple of weeks now, and it seems to be a very informitive and helpful site. I'm new to the fta world also, I recently got my dish 500 and dpplnb and also nova reciever, quad rg6 cables, and wireless ethernet bridge.

Well set up went smooth and file transfer to nova (new bins) went smoothely. I understand, azimuth, skew, and elevation, and set it accordingly to my area. I also made sure dish was plumb with leveler.

I went threw the steps of setting up the nova, and set up everthing correctly, and made my way to scan 110 and 119.

But I have ran into a dillema!

I can only get a S=49 Q=9. I have a signal meter with compass built on (SF 95C+), used it correctly, and still no change in S and Q. Shocked, I dismounted the dish while the S and Q was on the screen, and set the dish in my apartment, hence i live in a apartment, so no roof climbing for me, tv is within fifteen feet from dish on patio, and I noticed while the dish sat on the floor of my apartment, the S=49 and Q=49, did not change whatsoever!

I thought that since the dish was being moved and dismounted, and placed in a enclosed area (my apartment) that the S and Q are supposed to be significantly affected?

It just seems strange that signal never changed while dismounting and especially having the dish sitting on the floor in my apartment!

Can anyone explain what the problem could be, as far as signal issues? Is there an easy fix to this? Is this something common?

All input and feedback, is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jofee

Bronze Member
Username: Ferrarifire

Post Number: 79
I have a clear view of the North and North East sky. Is there any dish i can buy and point in that direction that will pick up a signal??

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 5040
Jofee
You can't use a dish inside a apartment, but outside, because the waves can be reflected on walls and windows.

Post Number: 2
Hey, check out satellitepointer.com, type your address and choose which satellites your trying to get and you will be fine, gives you elevation, azimuth, skew, and everything. Hope this helps!

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE ADDRESS THE FIRST POST, THANKS!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5041
Ferrari Fire
You can't get any TV Satellites in direction of north, all satellites are on the equator.

Bronze Member
Username: Mohamad_obama

Terhan, Iran Iran

Post Number: 92
Dish needs to be OUTSIDE.

Post Number: 3
Oh, sorry if you my post wasn't clear, but my dish was sitting on my outdoor patio, tightly secured, and plum.

My problem was that i was going to try and move the dish over to the left side of the railing, to see if i could get a better signal, which didn't have no effect, but in the process of doing this, I dismounted the dish off the mast, walked the dish from the outside patio, to the inside of my apartment, and set it in the middle of the floor, until i removed the mast and put it in it's new location, and i noticed that the whole time while dismounting and walking the dish into the apartment, there was no change to the signal whatsoever, the S and Q reading that i had while the dish was mounted plum, was the same exact reading while dismounting and walking around with the dish in hand, and also when I sat the dish on the floor in the middle of my apartment.

Normally when a person is trying to achieve a better signal, they slightly nudge (move dish less than a inch) the dish and this would effect the S or Q reding, but in my case, I was walking around with the dish and I noticed that the numbers didn't move from the orignal reading when the dish was set plumb pointing towards the sky. Which I know and everyone else knows shouldn't be the case! Unless im a walking satellite that broadcast a signal!

What could be the reason for this?

I hope this is more clear......Please help me out with any info. Thanks

Post Number: 4
OH, AND TO MAKE THIS EVEN CLEARER, I UNDERSTAND THAT THE DISH, MUST BE OUTSIDE, POINTING TO THE SKIES TO RECIEVE A SIGNAL, Hence mentioning I understood, what Azimuth, elevation, and skew means. Thank you for input!

THANKS
JOFEE

Bronze Member

Terhan, Iran Iran

Post Number: 96
When you get the dish set in the new position, turn the receiver off from the rear of the box and then back on and check your your S and Q readings again.

Post Number: 5

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5044
Jofee
I you try to pointed the ground you will see than you have strong signal, for aimed a satellite you need to have "Quality"

Post your satellite settings on both 110 and 119.

Post Number: 6
I'm not understanding, are you saying that if i pointed the satellite towards the ground/grass, I would have a strong signal?

I'm switching my box on now, and will post the settings now!

Bronze Member

Terhan, Iran Iran

Post Number: 98
S=power from sat box to lnb.

Q=power from sat to lnb.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5046
Yes
If you point on ground/ grass you will get signal but never you will get Quality.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5047
S= Signal is for first alignment
Q= Quality is the level on a TP and error data bit

Post Number: 7
I have dpp lnb, coax is screwed into input #1 going into input of NFUSION NOVA.

Satellite: 110W Echostar 8/10=No Lock

Lnb type: Twin DPLNBF

Lo Freq: 11250

22kHz Off

DiSEqC1.0: Port 1

DiSEqC 1.1 Disable

Multi-Dish Switch: Disable

Lock TP: [8/32/] 12326 H 20000

Motor Setting: Off

LNB Power: ON

Search Channels: CH ALL Search

S=44-46
Q=8-9

Same for 119

I truly appreciate your help!

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 4052
jofee why don't u change the lock tp .. until u get the highest signals..
by the way are u missing any channels?

Post Number: 8
I've actually scrolled threw all the lock tp's from disable and all the way to [32/32], with little or no effect.

What exactly do you mean by missing channels?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5048
Jofee where are located(state)?

Your setup is good but are you on the good satellite?

Try on standard LNB for aimed the satellite.

Post Number: 9
Indiana

Post Number: 10
That a nogo with standard, although it did peak about three point higher, I wonder what the problem could be?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5049
I dont know your receiver but on Vs an CW i am able to see the satellite i point.
Do you see it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
nope, my family member has VS, I am familiar with what your speaking on.

This is how my setup lookshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLwSooYHCI , scroll all the way close to the end and you will find the S and Q meters
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us