Watching your home satelite channels from office PC??

Username: The_chief

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I was recently asked if this was possible and I am struggling to find an answer.

Basically a friend of mine wants to be able to connect to his home satelite from his office PC. He says to me that the receiver is connected to his home PC and the receiver has an IP address so he assumed you could remotely connect from his office.

Is there a way of doing this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 196
Yes of course you can but.... unfortunately, most of Internet Service Providers (ISP's) constantly change your home IP address. You have then to subscribe to a special service (free or not) to find your home IP address from your office before being able to connect to your home. Internet Service Providers do not like supplying fixed IP addresses because they are afraid of their customers opening Web sites.

You also have the choice of getting a fixed IP address but for money $$$

An then last but not the least, most ISP's limit you in speed and monthly size for your outgoing side. You would rapidly burn your monthly upload allowance and that usually costs a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 197
If all of these roadblocks could be resolved then you could use a connection software such as PC-Anywhere or VNC to remotely access your PC.

Warning: You need a secured and encrypted tunnel pipe to your home otherwise you are a dead duck !!! Make sure your remote connection software offers heavy security

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3470
What yo need is basic internet or wildblue satellite internet service
About $50 a month

Silver Member
Username: Dimwitt

Post Number: 883
Linkbox is a set-top box that allows you to enjoy your own home entertainment contents from a remote location using the internet.

www.pansatdirect.net/usa/product_info.php?products_id=168

Username: The_chief

Post Number: 2
thanks alot for the info, I will pass this on.

thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Your_mama

Post Number: 61
have you look into the Sling Box?

Bronze Member
Username: 3dges

Compton

Post Number: 64
I use the program PC Satallite TV it has all the channels you would normally get on the dish except it uses your internet and it is a program.

Silver Member
Username: Jmendozab

Post Number: 205
Sling box is the answer....
it works just fine

Silver Member
Username: Timscarlet

Usa

Post Number: 304
yes i think sling box would be the way to go, the sling box pro has more inputs now to hook up more than one type of video box, either it be satellite or a dvd player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us