Can I hook my Sony Playstation 2 to a HDTV rear projection TV?

Ron Hess
I haven't bought a TV to complete my Home Theater yet. I want a TV that I can connect my Playstation 2 to. I want a large HDTV rear projection to watch DVDs on but I have heard that video games will damage projection TVs. Is this true?

JP de Jong
Absolute nonsense....I mean the bit that video games with damage projection tv...

The thing you are referring to is burn-in of a static image. Yes it can (and will happen after a long session of having exactly the same image...For example the logo of a tv station in the top righ/left corner or the energy level of a character in a video game....

Use it in a normal way...ie. take breaks, don't pause with a static image, switch channels and keep the picture moving (get a goldfish bowl instead...)

Cheers and enjoy the high resolution and clear pictures,

JP

Anonymous
I've worked with the old monochrome monitors and burn-in would happen after about 10 hours of constant screen play. About how long would it take for the newer lcd type projection televisions?

For one, the image quality of the game will suck on the HDTV.The PS2 does not offer any progressive mode or component outputs so the graphics will suffer.The only good cable you can use would be the S-Video output on the PS2.

If you want to add a console to your HDTV-RPTV I suggest the Nintendo GameCube or the X-Box which both offer progressive modes and components outputs expecially for HDTV and the graphics looks stunning.

PS2 needs to upgrade their console for HDTV systems sometime soon because their games rock the other systems.But as for graphic wise the PS2 only looks good on a tube.

As for Burn-in I wouldn't play a game on the RPTV for no more than 3 hours a day/every other day.If you follow that you shouldn't experience that much of a problem with burn-in.Just stay away from pausing the game and leaving the TV on, if you must pause it switch the programming to your regular broadcasting/DVD movie or turn it off.

Gatisimo
LCD screens don't suffer from burn-in, so you can play as long as you like, as often as you like. Regular rear-projection will definitely suffer from burn-in, and I think Robert hit it right on the nose in reference to how often games should be played on those screens.

Anonymous
Correction for Robert. PS2 Does have component outputs availabe, and it can be set up in widescreen mode. Monster, sony, and mad cat all make the component cables availabe for aftermarket purchase.

PS2 may have component cables outputs, but they are not progressive scan so the actual better cable is still the S-Video from what I've seen on the screen.If using components on an HDTV system, dvd's and games will result in banding on your HDTV set and cause a visual discomfort in the gaming and movie viewing experience.

PS2 still needs to upgrade their system, the X-Box blows it away on HDTV sets.PS2 may look good/ok on a 32" screen but not as fantastic as it could like the X-Box does on a 54" screen in progressive 720p.

Robert

Anonymous
im having problems watching dvds on my ps2. they seem to work fine but the image seems to get bright and then fade away,get darker. all happening within a 5 to 10 second timespan.please guys help!

ps.getxbox pretty soon but still want my ps2 working properly.

ConsoleHacker
PS2 does Progressive scan. They have released alot of games lately that offer 480p and they do the job pretty good. Go here to see which games offer 480p. http://144.92.43.200/hdg/ . I saw a huge diff in the game Socom using progressive scan. As for the xbox it's a great prog scan dvd player. I was amazed to see the difference in 480p. And it's free. Rivals my Pioneer. See you all.

ConsoleHacker
IS your ps2 going thru a vcr or a hub. Sounds like the Macrovision is stating up. Ps2 Has to be connect directly to the tv to disable this. Need more info on how you have it hooked up. There are ways to get rid of Macrovision if needed. Post back.

So to confirm what everyone is saying.......... I can hook a PS2 up to a 53in projection TV 1080, using componant but preferably s-video, as long as it does not freeze on a picure for too long, without damaging the TV. Correct?

at that size is the picture clear or fuzzy?

ConsoleHacker
Play away Mach 1 Mustang. Just don't play for 6+ hours with static images ( health bars, etc ). I have a 54in and screen isn't blurry at all. My component hookup looks better than the svid. I played GTA3 for 5 hours the other day. Don't listen to these old dinosaurs. They still beleave just hooking a ps2 to your tv will make it blow up. Have fun.

Quote:

Don't listen to these old dinosaurs. They still beleave just hooking a ps2 to your tv will make it blow up.

Excuse me?

Don't preach about age when you have no idea what any age of us are or our experience in the field.I'm not even 30 yet, and find it offensive that you think we are assuming damage to a TV from a console when that's not the truth.The truth is any of the new consoles can be played on the RPTV's but only in moderation and only for certain time periods.As for Xbox vs. PS2, I still take no side for one or the other but facts are facts.

I stick with the PC in gaming.

Robert

ConsoleHacker
Robert. This is the second time I have posted something and you have fired at me. Nothing above was even toward you. I was talking about sales people , old techs or our parents that bought RPTV in the 80's. As far as console wars did I say that one was better than the other. NO.
Just trying to correct what you said about ps2 not doing 480p. I'm trying to help people out. Not bash anyone here. I agree with most of what you tell these people. If this is not a place for me to help others i'll leave. Lay off me.

I as well was not bashing and you took what I said in the wrong context as if i was angry but what you said was kind of misleading to others here though.I was only carifying that how misleading it was and how it makes me as well as other here feel.

Don't read into text as if it's being fired at you because I like you am not doing that in no such way.

To prove this I'm smiling right now. :)

So nothing to lay off when I haven't even laid on.See no one is getting laid right now and that is the problem, lol!!:)

Cheers

Robert

I dont know about other people's experiences, but I have my PS2 hooked up via component cables and my X-box via S-cables (to a Mitsubishi 70" platinum series HDTV). After reading your posts, I plugged them both in and switched back and forth from one to the other while both game systems were at the beginning of Nascar Heat. My friend that were over (3) decided that they could see absolutely no difference whatsoever.

But, my Mitsu manual makes it quite clear not to display static images too long. I've noticed most games (such as most racing and sports games) change backgrounds fairly frequently so I don't know if its a real problem. If I play a game that has "static" health / life bars, you can always flip between widescreen mode, zoom, stretch, 480, and normal views in order to move the static images somewhat.

Dave

OK, So I have a similar question, which seems to have been touched on (but I didn't see it answered) in this thread.

Situation. PS-2, hooked to Hitachi 51" HDTV. PS-2 is in 16x9 display mode, and HDTV is in 16x9 standard aspect ratio. DVDs play on the PS-2 as expected. However, when plahing games, there is a DARK BAND on the left side of the screen (the image doesn't quite fill the screen). I am using the old red/white/yellow (right/left video) type cable, can never remember if this is "composite" or "component".

Anyway, has anyone seen this problem? Is my PS-2 defective? Does and S-video (or other cable) fix this problem, or only give me better resolution on the area that is being displayed?

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer ...

bruce

Luv2game
I have a Toshiba TheatreView 55 inch RPTV and had hooked my PS2 up to it using the S Video option, with the optical out through my surround reciever. The picture and sound were awesome! Nothing like it compared to the 29 incher that I was using.
I now also own an XBOX and Gamecube and want to try the component option with those. Anyways to make a long story short, I disconnected my PS2 and hooked it back up to my 29 inch tube TV because I was always paranoid about this screen burn in thing. My kids play these systems sometimes for hours on end with health bars etc... and I was always coming in the room and telling them to shut it off for a bit after an hour or so and waiting about 15 min and turning it on again. They were getting fed up with this and begged me to hook the systems up through the 29 incher again.
I really want to use my big screen, but if its going to frig it up, I don't want to do it.
Previous posts here indicate that I should be cautious.
Also, I own all the game consoles and currently have them running through a switching unit that supports S Video and regular RCA type sound jacks.
Does anyone know if theres such a thing as one of these units that supports component video. I like to use the switching unit because its a major pain to manually unplug everything all the time.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt Jacobs
In further support of Bruce Gilland's post of Jan 06, '03, I have my PS2 connected to a Toshiba 57HDX82 (57", 16:9, HDTV/RPTV) via a Monster component video cable. I too have a black band of unused space about 1/2 cm thick on the left hand side of my screen and of about 1 cm thick on the right. I have tried both component video jacks on my television as well as all of my S-video and composite video jacks and they all exhibit similar behavior. I have tried all of the different stretching modes on my TV and, of course, I have the PS2 set to 16:9 output. Unfortunately, nothing seems to correct the problem. I contacted Sony support and they stated that they have heard of the problem but know of no fix. They said that some 16:9s just behave this way with their product. I contacted Toshiba and they said that they had not heard of the issue and knew of no fix. Toshiba also stated that screen burn would generally not take place until static images had been displayed for more than 3 hours. The technician's explanation was that many DVD movies display in letterbox format and that those movies play for up to 3 hours sometimes so the system was designed to withstand that type of activity. Just my expereince for what it's worth. I am debating whether to exchange my television for one that is compatible with the PS2 16:9 display so that I can fill the screen completely and at least not have to worry about burn-in with the black bands on either side of the image. If anyone has any other suggestions on this issue, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Matt

Luv2game
Matt

I have the 55 inch Toshiba theatreview non HD. I purchased the TV in 2000. I have hooked my PS2 up to it and it completely fills the screen and looks great using the component hookup.
I am by no means an expert but maybe its the HD side of it that could be the problem.

Anonymous
Umm........Now what did I want to say?
Oh yeah....XBOX ROCKS!!

TomBZ
I also heard if you lower the contrast that this will help the burn in problem. I read it on the web some where and I can't find it. I to am looking into hdtv widescreen and I'm very worried about the burn image. I read a lot about it but I would like to hear more from others that have or have not experienced widescreen game playing.

Anonymous
To all...
Burn or not Burn your HDTV, finally somebody in the game Industry is thinking about this and the new games will have the option for static images such as Life gauge,a good example of this is the game "Getaway" with no "on-screen" information and everything is totally dinamic.

a friend of mine just got a hdtv. she connects the ps2 and she can play games. but the gun that she got does not work with hdtv, but works on a reg tv. does anyone have a solution for this? please email at brucedeluna@aol.com

knack12
if anyone has a question on the situation, allow me to answer it. Most of the people who are answering question hve it right half the time.

Yesterday I hooked up my ps2 to my brand new Mitsubishi 65" HDTV via the supplied composite audio video cable. The game graphics sucked. I was pretty dissapointed to say the least. After doing hours of research I came across a forum that had several posts confirming that if you hook up the HDTV via a set of component video cables the graphics would be super. So today I bought a set of Monster Cables at Best Buy (Gamelink 400CVAA Component Video/Analog Audio PGL400 CV/AA-10) $59.00

I hooked the cables up and set the Component Video Out option under the System Configuration menu to to "YCb/PbCr/Pr" page 7 of your ps2 owners manual.

Problem Solved! The graphics are awesome! I will tell you on page 7 of your ps2 owners manual there is a Note that says.

"The PlayStation2 console is not compatible with HDTV unless the proper software and connecting devices are used. Refer to the instruction manual for your TV for details."

But with what I just said above my Game Graphics are Awesome.

Thought I would share!

Paul

I just bought a brand new 53" Sony Rear Projection TV. I have been reading from the replies in this site and everyone seems to say that as long as you be careful about what games your playing and how long you play them, you should be able to play XBOX or PS2! I just wanted to know how long you have had your TV's for. I just don't want any long term damage, and if it did burn in, is the whole TV messed up, or can you buy a new screen?

Gabe Enck
To: Luv2game Yes, there are COMPONENT video switchers, but sadly, they are pretty expensive. Just one website I found that sells them is:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/1154.asp
To: Matt Jacobs I suggest that you exchange your HDTV for another one and test others out until you find one that does NOT do this, especially if the black bar is generated by having some of the "lights" generate the color to prevent burn-in. You might also want to consider buying a flat-screen LCD TV/monitor ( about 20" - 32" ) just to play games.
Note: I haven't seen anyone mention that burn-in can occur much quicker with flashing lights in the image. I have heard this is why you shouldn't play video games on projection TVs. ( Although, strobes happened more with older video games )
:) :)

Matt Jacobs said: "I too have a black band of unused space about 1/2 cm thick on the left hand side of my screen and of about 1 cm thick on the right. I have tried both component video jacks on my television as well as all of my S-video and composite video jacks and they all exhibit similar behavior."

I have the same problem.. and if you plug an old PS1 into your Toshi, you'll get the same thing. It must be something with the Sonys.

Gabe Enck said: "Yes, there are COMPONENT video switchers, but sadly, they are pretty expensive."

I've heard of people having success using quality standard A/V switch boxes in place of component switches. Radio Shack is a good source for these.

Can anyone direct me to a site where I can view, download etc. the owners manual for PS2. I bought mine when it first came out and no longer have the manual.
Thanks!

Anonymous
Is there a converter unit for PS 2? My TV is an old type of TV!!

I heard that the playstation 2's that were first released aren't progessive scan is this true? if so is there any point to me using the component video cables for my HDTV?

I saw some discussion that SVideo is better for PS2. Can anyone let me know...thanks.

Kapnjak
Has anyone heard anything about PS2's ruining DVD's? A friend of mine mentioned something about it to me when I first got mine. I recently played a DVD on it and the DVD started skipping. I returned the DVD to the store. When I played the new one, it started skipping at the exact same spot. I'm going to return it as well, but I'm almost afraid to put another DVD in the PS2.

the very first PS-2's that where made are very crappy, they tend to have overheating problems, and they tend to have problems with their laser assymbolys, to be more exact, the control chip for the laser focus tends to go bad..(this explains why you are most likely having problems with that DVD, if you have the first version PS-2) but these where the PS-2's that where sold with in the first year of their production, the 2nd edition PS-2's have solved all of those problems, you can tell which version you have buy taking off the cover for the extra device bay on the back and looking at how the game shark plug in is wired, if there is a green board that is connected to it, then you have the 1st version of the PS-2, if a bunch of wires are connected to it, then it is the 2nd version PS-2 (this can be quite difficult to see unless you have a flashlight or take the whole thing apart) As far as the PS-2's ruining DVD's i very much doubt it and have never heard anything of the sort, as far as the 1st PS-2's not being progressive scan, i can tell you that from my experiance i believe this is true, as when we hook my PS-2 to our hometheater projector (and i have the 1st version) the projector well not allow you to turn on the progressive scan option, however when you hook the newer version PS-2 to it, it will let you turn this option on, so my guess is that the older ones do not have progressive scan, but i truthfully dont know for 100%.
As far as using your PS-2 on an older TV, you will have to get a composite (RCA cable) to RF modulator, some older RF modulators will do this, or you can do it the double way by getting a cable to RF converter and then a RF modulator that will convert composite video to cable, if your older TV will take cable, then you dont need the cable to RF converter.. RF is the very old type of plug in that had two wires you have to attach with screws.
Also, as far as using high quality A/V switches for composite, this will work as long as the switch has the proper impedance, regular composite video cables tend not to be 75 ohms, where as composite video cables are 75 ohms, in composite video the 3 main colors for each pixel are devided into the 3 different wires, each carrying it's own brightness signal as well, which prevents overlaping of the signals by wave cancelation, and alows for better sampling by tv's electronics, which prevents color smearing and alows for higher contrast, sharpness, and brightness. Now, if you get an A/V switch that is using 75 ohms then you could use it to switch for component, but you'd have to use 3 A/V switches in place of one component video switch, it would most likely be better to buy a newer reciever, as almost all of the new ones have switches for component video, s-video, digital coax or fiber optic, and composite video all in one.
also, even in many of the newer TV sets, they have tried their best to prevent burn-ins with newer shadow screens and pixel materials, aling with better controling of the electron gun, so you are less likely to get burn-ins on newer telivisions, however on the rear projection TV sets which includes most tv's larger than 35 inches, this is still a problem i would highly advise not alowing for play for more than 3 hours as stated several times above.

G G
Hi, im thinkin of buying a new 60" XBR Grand Wega LCD projection TV and was wondering if my PS2 would ruin it? also, does the DVD player work well on the PS2 on big screens, or should i just buy a new player? thanks for any help.

Anonymous
I have a question regarding projection TV burn in.
If you stop playing a video game that has a static image (ie:health meter) after a couple of hours, but keep going back to the same game every day for a couple of hour s at a time, is there still a risk of burn in.

Interested in the LCD screen that hooks up on top of the PS2.I have seen two kinds 5.6",and7".Would like to know are the screens any good,and where can you buy them.Thanks for any help on this matter.

Matt from the UK
I've got a Samsung SP42W5HFX 42" RPTV. If you play videogames on RPTV's may I suggest that you drop the contrast down a little.. this will delay the onset of burn-in. It's best to play in a dark room with low contrast, but I still wouldn't play for long.. 2 hours max.

paranoid
I also purchased a Sony 51" HDTV with PIP and all the other amenities and am dying to hook the PS2 up. Most of my questions were answered in this forum but a couple still remain. As long as i keep the brightness and the contrast low will the burn in factor remain low? And also as long as i keep the picture flowing ie, using pip, or switching through standard, zoom or wide zoom, will this also offset the burn in? thanks for all the help.

Tracker
Hey all.. I just had a weird experience.
I bought a Samsung TXM3296hf and I experience color banding while using my PS2 and component inputs. This banding only occurs when there is a haze or fog on the screen of about 30 or 40 IRE, per the AVIA DVD.

I get a band to the left of center in ICO in the waterfall level, and also while in the swamps in SOCOM in interlaced mode w/component hookup. The banding goes away if I play socom in progressive mode but then there is a slim "rainbow" of colors at the very top of my screen during pre-mission movies. I guess I can tweak it out since I have access to the service menu by expanding the screen size or re-positioning it.

Note that other games (Tekken Tag, NFS hotpursuit, Conflict desert storm, The Getaway) play fine, and movies do not display any banding at all, and DVD movies are cinema quality.

Now, I thought the TV was bad so I had another delivered since the first one was open box. The next one, brand new, had the same "issues".

After going to Best Buy and almost getting a Sony Wega AVFS100, I requested that they send me a third TV to replace this one as well. I just couldn't give up that pristine DVD playback.

When I got home it occured to me that the TV may not be bad and it may be the PS2. I then connected Socom with composite and the band was almost undetectable! In S-video it was more apparant, and component was very apparant. For ICO the Banding was not there in Composite at all, and almost indecernable with S-video!

The POINT: Apparantly PS2 doesn't like HDTV as well as I would like it too. In order to work around this I will have to connect both sets of connection to the TV and then switch them based on what game I'm playing. Note that I would only have to switch to composite for ICO, besides ICO is EXTREMELY jaggy in HDTV... even the intro screen is icky, but in composite the jaggies turn soft and all is well.

For new technologies like this to be incompatible is very annoying! I work on PC's for a living and I know how finicky PC's can get. But for two historically "plug-n-play" devices to display this nasty trait is very anoying. I play the PS2 to get away from techical glitches that PC games provide, and instead of entering a digital panacea, I get to swap cables to make it all work right!

Worse of all Samsung and Sony are ignorant of this or do not want to admit it. I called both of them right after I noticed it the first time.

Alright-- you all have done it this time: I'm thoroughly intimidated about buying an HDTV. From what I understand, if I decide to buy one, I can expect to play with the wires and settings until I get an acceptable/ excellent image out of it. That said, I'm a little hazy on two issues.

All I really care about are SOCOM and DVD's on the PS2. How much better is SOCOM? Also, I read that in order to play HDTV movies, your DVD player has to be HDTV format ready-- is the PS2 amongst those players?

Tracker
Ok, first.. with the AVIA DVD and the regular settings I was able to get a pristine picture, I mean to drool for! Be sure to go into PS2's menu, only accessible whilst playing a DVD and adjust the sharpness there before tweaking the TV sharpness settings.

No, for DVD movies HDTV is the bomb.

PS2 has component video output which is the required output for puting out a progressive scan signal, and it CAN provided that the game supports it and you use the component cables. PS2 just doesn't play movies in progressive scan.. although it made my jaw drop and I can't imagine progressive being better, but then I bet it can!

Socom looks Much Much better in progressive scan. everthing is clearer, esp the words.. and the water in the opening screen looks like it will poor (sp) out onto the floor!

When you say DVD must be "format ready" I think that you must mean that it must have a component output? Otherwise, you don't get progressive scan from ANY DVD player. Ps2 has component connector for this. But doesn't play movies in 480p.

HDTV is defined as at least 480i. and goes up to 1080i. In the middle is 480p and 720i and 720p. My TV can only do 480i,480p,and 1080i. I hope that answers your question.

I just wanna know if anyone else has had a compatability with the PS2 like I am. I am having to choose between the TV or the PS2 and it sucks! If only I could afford another $600 for the WEGA HDTV.

Tracker,

I also see the slim "rainbow" of colors in SOCOM in progressive mode, but it is fairly constant and not just during movies. I connect my PS2 to a Yamaha HTR5590 receiver and then to a Sony KV-40XBR800 using monster component cables. Did your 2nd post mean that you had solved the problem by using a DVD to adjust the PS2 sharpness? Please let me know if you solved this problem. I have not yet explored my TV's settings, so maybe the solution lies there.

Tracker, thanks for your reply. I really felt a little lost before.

It's really too bad that the PS2 doesn't take full advantage of the HDTV when playing movies (or so I understood your message-- I'm not very tech savvy). I'm definitely interested in seeing the SOCOM, though.

With all these choices in HDTVs and these other issues you all have mentioned, it looks like I'm going to have to careful. Good luck on the WEGA HDTV, whatever that is.

Anonymous
I have a 52 inch Toshiba HDTV and have been playing PS2 games on it for the last year. The DVD feature of the PS2 is terrible compared to Toshiba DVD player I bought. My DVD player is capable of displaying movies in 720i. Whoever asked the question about HDTV DVD movies~there is no such thing. HDTV requires a HDTV ready TV along with a HDTV converter box (if the TV does not have one built inside) and a cable signal that is being broadcasted in 1080i. You will also need component cables attached to your TV. Socom does look great on my TV but you should see when my friend brings his XBOX over. XBOX has several games that are 720i and 2 that are 1080i.

I have an idea that i have been trying to find information on but haven't seen. I have a Samsung 15'' LCD HDTV and it works fine for me. However, i have an Xbox and PS2. I had gotten the HDTV component input for the Xbox and the picture/lighting is awesome. The PS2 on the other hand is very pixelated and has some serious lighting problems. im planning on just getting the s-video because ive heard that solves the problem. But here is my idea, since there are HDTV signal converters out there that convert all NTSC signals to HDTV, and PS2 game boxes says NTSC in the bottom corner does this mean it is broadcast in a signal that the reciever could convert to HDTV? If so you could use a PS2 rfu adapter on the reciever and theoretically have PS2 HDTV support...
email me if anyone knows if this works please.

I just bought a Toshiba 50H82.

I set my PS2 to wide screen with Component Cable (I also bought to Sone Component cables for PS2)

First Problem: I can't get the PS2 to show me full screen widescreen. It's always 4:3 to is shown on screen (Left and right gray bar of 4:3 signal). Any clue why I can't get the widescreen signal?
Second problem already mentioned here is the slim black (less than 1 inch) on both side of the screen.

Anonymous
LMAO....
BTW Vincent, SOCOM is a game, not a software media.

this guy...who plays games...a lot
It seems relatively clear that the burning in of images can, and more than likely will, be an issue if games are not played in moderation on a projection TV. However, would a better/safer route be to buy an HDTV that's not a projection TV, maintaining not only the best possible picture with component input but also 1080i? These TVs capable of 1080i (HDTV) that aren't projections are rather expensive, but I feel that if there isn't a risk for burn in, the price would be worth it. I merely want, probably like everyone who posts here, the best quality picture and sound while playing my games. While doing this, I want to avoid damaging the probably overpriced electronics I bought in order to achieve this scenario. I've been looking at the Sony 40" XBR. (Sony also has a rather appealing, cheaper 36" HDTV) I know the XBR isn't widescreen; I want to stick with the traditional ratio for my console gaming, and I also know the vast majority of projection HDTVs are far less than that XBR's price. I just want top-of-the-line with no...err, little risk involved. (no risk is probably impossible) So ignoring the limited selection on HDTVs that aren't projection and the hefty price that comes along, do you guys think that would be the safest route to go while keeping the best possible picture. (Man, I have a feeling the look of PS2/XBox with component input on that XBR would be beyond amazing) Anyway, give me some thoughts. Thanks.

T
I have a Panasonic 34wx51 16:9 HDTV, and recently
purchased Monster component cables for my PS2, but for some reason, the PS@ won't show up on screen. I know the inputs work, for my HD decoder and my Progressive scan DVD both work beautifully. Any ideas on how I can get this to work? thanks.

~T~

In the system configuration menu set "component out" to Y Cb/Pb Cr/PR.

T
Stephen Ri-

My PS2 is set to Y Pb Pr, but nothing appears on my screen. My guess is the Panasonic is probably only high bandwidth component inputs, and the PS2 doesn't fit that catagory. I recently read that Sony is making a new High Bandwidth PS2 in JApan, and possibly in the US. Maybe I'll just have to wait for that. I'm glad I only paid $5 for the cable.

I don't know about the high bandwidth thing, I tried to look at the manual at panasonic's site but that "Live Manual" stuff messes my PC up. What I'd try is renting one of the few progressive scan games and see if the panny picks that signal up. I'm no expert, but it might be worth a try. 'Course, there's no way you'd keep it hooked up for the few 480p games, so I'd get myself an s-video cable. It won't be quite as good as component but your screen isn't huge so it'll still look good. Actually, I just bought a ps2 monster s-video cable last night on eBay, $13 including shipping. How'd you manage to get your cable for $5? It's possible that the cable's the problem, but I can't even speculate.

Jack Brown
Is it true that playing DVD's on a PS2 can ruin the system. I have heard stories of people who played DVD's on the PS2 and claimed that it ruined the eye or something. I think it's a wives tale, but let me know if it's true

I'd say thats a myth. I've had people tell me that playing CD's on there ps1 ruined it; I do not see how this is physically possible. I'm more inclined to believe that they just didn't take care of their equipment. Myself, if I used the ps2 alot I'd just invest in a regular DVD player to give the ps2 a chance to cool down. Unless you're using an HDTV, you can get a good player for under $100.

But don't take my word for it, I mean, if your concerned, just call Sony tech support; last time I called them there was no wait and the person was very good.

AgentMuD
I stopped playing games on my ps2 for about a year and just played movies on it. some one had told me they heard playing movies ruines it, like you said jack brown, but I did'nt believe them. I bought and hdtv a week ago and figured I would try a game on it. Guess what, to my suprise the games no longer work at all. It says disk read error on every game I tried (10 of them) and makes a terrible clicking sound. It still plays dvds, not very well I may add. So I would not use it for dvds. I did take very good care of it, other than playing dvds on it like sony says it can. I'm not going to pay 100 dollars to have it fixed either. I will just swith to xbox as I have head it is far superior and supports hdtv unlike ps2.

AgentMuD
Correction, it will play dvd rom games. But it will not play the regular compact disk ones. The dvd rom have a silver bottom and the compact disk have a purple bottom, if you did'nt know. That is weird.

Anonymous
How do you set SOCOM in progressive scan mode?

Micah-the-HDTV-fanatic
I've just read the many posts of this thread and want to clear up the many misconceptions of HDTV and PS2 gaming.

1. HDTV consists of only 2 formats, 720p and 1080i. There is no 720i and 480i and 480p are NOT HDTV.

2. Unlike the Xbox, PS2 games MUST BE PROGRAMMED to support 480p. If a PS2 game does not support progressive scan (most do not), the game will not appear in widescreen, hence, the 4:3 aspect ratio of games hooked up through component connection.

3. PS2's have been known to damage CD's due to a CD being thinner than a DVD and their tendency to wobble in the DVD drive ever so slightly. Typically, blue colored game disks have been damaged because they are CD's rather than DVD disks.

4. Xbox DVD playback does not support progressive scan. The newest PS2 models do not support DVD progressive scan playback. PS2 will only support DVD games that have software support for progressive scan. Xbox is ditto but is virtually built-in automatically and requires no extra effort for the developer. Therefore, few PS2 titles are 480p while nearly all Xbox support 480p or higher.

5. If anyone of you wonders why DVD on a HDTV can look so great while using a interlaced DVD player such as PS2, you must keep in mind that your HDTV has a line doubler that will convert 480i to a 480p or even higher. Depending on the scaling performance of the HDTV you own, it's entirely possible to get a fine picture despite using an inferior DVD player.

6. If your're worried about burn-in, you can rest easy if you buy a LCD, DLP, or the top-of-the-line LCoS HDTVs. None will suffer any burn in from static images like a CRT based set will. Both LCD and DLP are fixed pixel display units that convert everything to 720p, which is what the majority of true HDTV games are displaying on on the Xbox, the ONLY console capable of displaying a true HDTV signal. Halo2, NBA 2K3, Unreal just to name a few support 720p while Dragons Lair 3D is the only console game thus far to support 1080i.

7. Don't expect too much from the PS2. Its' technology is dated and you're lucky developers are putting forth the effort to make their games progressive scan at all. Your HDTV's will be used to their potential with PS3. Meanwhile, Xbox is the way to go to experience true HDTV gaming so far.

8. Halo 2 will change gaming as you know it! ;-)

That is all for now.

Raul M
I own a Daewoo DSC-3670N TV, with 1080i@31.5KHz, the technical specifications say nothing about 480P or 720P. If I buy a DVD Progressive scan (480P) my Daewoo HDTV is going to dysplay a better picture or is a must to have a monitor that reproduces a 480P to see any difference.
Thank you if somebody can help me.

From what I've read on your model, it line doubles up to 480p, so no, it would not help to use a progressive scan player. Does it look bad or something?

Micah-the-HDTV-fanatic
I haven't looked at what your TV is capable of, but all HDTVs are capable of displaying 480i, 480p and either 720p or 1080i, or both. Most HDTVs can accept an incomming 720p signal, however most will either convert that to 1080i or downconvert to 480p.

One must not come to the belief however that since their HDTV has a line doubler, a progressive scan DVD player is useless or unnecessary. If video quality means alot to you, typically you will get a better picture with a progressive scan DVD player than relying on your TV to convert an interlaced picture to progressive. With the costly investment you've already made with the HDTV and the small costs of progressive players these days, it's a small price to pay to get the most out of your HDTV.

Micah, are you sure 480p is a requirement for HDTV? I beleive I've read about models that only do 480i and 1080i. I think Raul's model may be one of these. Don't mean to argue with you or anything, I just don't want Raul to get confused. I searched around the net for a while looking for info on this set, and found nothing about 480p.

Well, I did find the manual for the TV here: http://www.daewooelectronics.co.kr/support2002/eng_support_manual_down.phtml?id=1027&file_name=DSC-3670N_I.pdf and at the very bottom of the page it gives the specs and it does say it displays 480p as well as 1080i.

Raul M
Thanks Micah & Stephen. It was very helpful. I`ll definately get a DVD Progressive. And it`s good to know that not necessarily all HDTV reproduce a 480P otherwise companies wouldn't specify each format they are able to display. But is confusing sometimes, because some only mention their best format and the others are implied.

I wouldn't be too confused. You can pretty much assume any HDTV can do 480p. There are a few that can't(some Zenith models come to mind), but very few.

Micah-the-HDTV-fanatic
Stephen_Ri,

I have never heard of a HDTV set or monitor that is incapable of displaying 480p. What you may be thinking of is a SDTV that Zenith announced to be released at the end of 2001 that had a built in digital tuner. What it could do is accept HD feed and convert it to 480i. Why anyone would go for that is anyones guess. I guess if there were some HDTV exclusive on the air, you wouldn't miss the programming all together...just the great picture.

Let me know if you find a true HDTV that can't display 480p. If one exists it really should be beaten with wooden bats! ;-)

Here is the skinny. The standard for HDTV is either 1080i or 720P. If the TV cannot do either of those it cannot be called HDTV it can only be called SDTV(standard definition television) for 480i, or EDTV(enhanced definition television) for 480p. So Micah is correct, all HDTVs can do 480i, 480p, and either 720p,1080i or in a few rare cases both but if the TV downconverts to fram 1080i or 720p to 480p(like the cheaper plasmas) they can't be called HDTV. They trick people by calling it HDTV compatible, meaning that you will be able to see the picture but it won't be at the native quality. At best in can be called EDTV or DTV.
If you would like to look at the standards and some other neat stuff concerning HDTV visit
ATSC-HDTV FAQs
There are a few HD capable TVs that won't accept a 480p signal like most of the highly rated Loewe TVs. What they do is accept 480i and upconvert the signal.

Micah, check this out: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/zenith-c34w23-hdtv-11-2002.html
I never said it makes sense to make a HDTV that doesn't accept 480p, but there are some. Zenith isn't the only company that does this. I was reading in Sound and Vision several months ago and there was a 1080i/480i only TV in there new stuff list or whatever they call it. Obscure, yes. Existent, yes. I beleive Miguel is referring to these TVs in his last sentence. Like I said in my first post, these things line double or whatever to effectively 480p, they just won't accept the signal. I'm no expert, but I believe I'm correct in this. Am I not?(not a challenge, a question).

Micah-the-HDTV-fanatic
You are correct! And what a piece of junk I might add. A not so perfect line doubler, no DVI or 1394...for a direct view set that is capable of many years of use beyond RPTVs, it has no compatability with what will be the future of HD.

With HD programming still in the early stages and therefore quite scarce, perhaps the main reason people are buying HDTVs now is to get the most out of their DVD viewing. To buy a widescreen that isn't capable of 480p inputs defeats the consumers buying intent. But I suppose most wouldn't even notice all the artifacts and jaggies and Zenith is counting on that.

Thanks for the link.

mike
What about a DLP Projector is that going to burn in?

Micah-the-HDTV-fanatic
DLP will not burn in. Definitely the way to go for video game playing and long-term viewing of channels with logos etc.

Anonymous
Will direct view hdtvs burn in?

Anonymous
Why a HDTV signal, if most HDTV sets can transform and display all signal to 720P or 1080i or close as Philips with Pixel Plus or Sony with DRC. And whats the difference in numbers with DVD-P if to see the progressive mode I need an 480P set and most of these are already line dobler. What for a Progressive DVD or Game Console or HDTV signal if most manufactures say their sets can transform a 480i signal into a 1080i or 720P image ?

I gather that your question is basically "why care about video game 1080i, 720p, and 480p support if my TV converts 480i into these formats?" Well, its pretty simple. When you give the TV 480i, thats all it has to work with. It can refine the image, line double it, and do all sorts of things to make it look better, but it still is a 480i source image and a TV cannot give you something that is not there. Granted, some do a pretty good job, but still, a TV cannot "imagine" details that are not given it. Hope this helps.

Stephen

Anonymous
But Stephen, a DVD Progressive don`t do the same thing that a TV line doubler does ?

No, progressive scanning and line doubling are not the same thing. They have the same goal, but reach it in different ways. Look here for a better explanation than I can give http://www.htexplained.com/abridged/Chap%202.htm

Stephen

Micah-the-HDTV-fanatic
Well, no offense Stephen, but the article is slightly off base. The best reason why you go with a progressive DVD player as opposed to letting the TV line double the picture is because the DVD player can "line double" in the digital domain right off the disk while the TV, if hooked up to an interlaced player the signal is fed with an analog signal, then has to be digitized to be fed through the deinterlacer, then reconverted back to analog to be fed to the CRT's. That process can result in overall loss of resolution. Unless you have a top-of-the-line HDTV, it's a safe bet that a progressive DVD player will be able to give a better picture to the CRT's than the deinterlacer that is built in into your TV.

That article stated a much often mistaken concept that progressive is double the resolution of interlaced, which it is not. The only difference between p and i is the artifacts that are missing in progressive mode. 480i and 480p both have 480 lines of resolution. The interlaced alternating between the odd and even is so fast you're seeing all 480 lines, not just 240 at any given time. But the blemishes that interlaced causes are quite noticable when you know what to look for and are effectively missing with progressive scan.

Weird question; I hooked my PS2 to a friend's 43" Sony Rear Projection last night (not absolutely certain of the model, but it's approximately 4 months old) and no matter which Input jacks I use on the TV (Video 1, Video2), I get no color from any game. This PS2 was just UNhooked from a Panasonic tubed TV and worked fine, so it's not a PS2 issue. I've also used the Monster S-Video cables I had on the Panasonic. Any ideas as to how this is supposed to be set up?

Anonymous
For component switching, you have several choices. The cheapest way is to get 3 Radio Shack A/V switches, and label them R, G, B. You will need to press all "A" or "B" buttons at the same time to switch inputs. It is easier to remember if you tape them together vertically. For $100, JVC makes an unpowered switchbox. I think it has 3 component switching, plus SVHS and composite. The next 2 boxes are also JVC, they run about $400 and $600. They use active circuitry to reduce signal loss. They also have digital audio and Firewire switching. I have seen boxes over $1000, but why spend the money if you don't have to? Keep your total cable run under 15 feet, and the cheap JVC should be good enough for most people.

Anonymous
I HAVE A S-CABLE HOOK UP ON MY CABLE BOX, BUT NOT ON MY TV. IS THERE A WAY I CAN USE THE S-CABLE HOOK UP FOR MY PS2 ON THE CABLE BOX ,SO THAT, IT WILL WORK ON MY TV?

I was wondering if all the playstation 2's have progressive scan, or just the newer models?

Anonymous
Bjorn,

Only the newest models have progressive scan.

Oompa Loompa
Hey everybody. I just bought a Sony HDTV Monitor 46" widescreen (KP46WT500). As of right now, I only have basic cable and my only DVD player is my PS2. I've heard that component cables will greatly improve the picture from the Playstation (both DVD and games). But the back of the PS2 only has an "digital out (optical)" port. Will component cables fit into this? Or will they use the same port as the composite cables? Also, what are the best TV settings for the PS2 and for regular cable? I'm planning on getting digital cable, but for now the picture isn't very good. Thanks

Anonymous
Oompa,

You can get Monster Component cables that fit in the same spot as the composite cables. You can also get a cheaper brand. My DVD's are all too dark from the PS2, but I need to get a new TV. Let us know how the TV looks after digital cable.

Anonymous
Have any of you experienced problems with PS1 Games (i.e. Tomb Raider 3) playing on the PS2 console using component cables? Specifically, the game will play fine through the A/V video cable, but when using the component cables, the screen goes blank before the Core Soft Logo comes up and stayes blank.

so i can take any game console i want and put it on my big screen/projection tv and not worrie about it damaging my tv

Anonymous
if anyone is up at this time, i have a question that does not relate to projection tvs but rather plasma tvs. Since i heard of people talk about how stunning the ps2 looked on progressive scan tvs i've been looking for a tv that could fit my teenager budget, while giving me that image i have craved for so long. But i recently discovered that my ps2 is not "hdtv compatible" and that it does not support progressive scan. I figured only those games that have been programed to deliver a progressive scanned image could be played on an HDTV system. I have read in many magazines and websites on how some games don't run at 60 frames per second, but rather at thirty or something less then sixty. This led me to believe that since progressive scan is meant to show all sixty frames, what would happen to those games running at 30 fps? Will the tv not show all those games that haven't been programmed for progressive scan properly? I want to get a plasma tv so bad, but i don't want to get it if i know is not going to work. please somebody help!

Vinny C
Ok so here is a question. To get a progressive scan signal to my HD ready tv, do I just connect my PS2 DIRECTLY to the component inputs on the back, or do I need to go through one of those digital box things first?

And why didn't Sony offer any upgrade for the 1st ps2 models? That's stupid if you ask me.

j dawg
Anyone have any info on DLP HDTV's? I'm Looking to buy a 43" Samsung One to play video games on. Also does anyone know if you can hook that TV up to your computer and how it works. Thanks for any help.

Wasif
Heyy... i'm getting the sony 61 inch big screen projection t.v...??? how much can i play ps2 on it? 4-5 hours???? can i.. if yes then thats great. and i have the yellow red white cables will the graphics look good?
reply please,

Vinny C
I'm not sure what the playtime will be on the TV Wasif, but as for the graphics, they will be alright. Keep in mind that for the best graphics, you need to pickup a component video cable for your PS2. That's the top of the line. You can get one for around $10 for the cheapest, but since you are already paying that much for a tv, I suggest just going all out and getting the monstercable version off Ebay for like $40.

If you can't afford the component video cable, go with an S-Video cable. This is better quality than the RCA (red, white, and yellow) but less quality than the component. Sorry I can't help you out with your playtime question!

MedManNJ
Another quick question. Using the S-video cable on the PS2, will I still be able to get widescreen if running it into a widescreen rear projection TV? I know it will be only 480, but will I be able to get widescreen from the s-video hookup.

All of my component ins on the TV are used and dont wont to deal with a splitter because the NETCOMMAND of the Mitsubishi tvs will not let me share port assignements.

thanks for the SVIDEO answer.

Vinny C
I have no experience to back up this answer, but I don't see why you couldn't use the widescreen mode with an S-Video connection. I set my PS2 on widescreen using only the RCA, so the s-vid shouldn't be a problem. The different cables merely transfer the picture differently, each with different levels of quality. The size and shape of the picture itself is determined by the object outputing the signal thru the wires (the PS2). With all that in mind, s-vid should work, however, I have not actually done this so I can't say that with 100% assurance.

medmannj
Thanks Vinny C. just for info, my brother is a VINNY C too !

I want to hook up my gamecube, with the 3 colored video and audio plugs, to my TV, which doesn't have those three inputs on it. I do have a VCR, but it doesnt have a Tv/video button on it. I also have didgital cable. How can i hook up the gamecube to my tv???

Vinny C
I think the only thing you could do Peter is either find a remote for the VCR that has the tv/video switch, or go buy an RF modulator for the gamecube and hook it up through the coaxial. Well, I suppose you could get a new tv as well. That's always an option.

Anonymous
I just bought the Zenith C34W23 36" and it does play progressive scan players; will I be able to run my PS2?

Anonymous
Excuse me I meant the Zenith "DOES NOT" play progressive scan player...

Vinny C
The PS2 doesn't use progressive scan except for like 2 games. Even so, you have to have the 2nd model of it, a component video cable, and you would have to turn on the progressive scan mode anyways...so you are fine. Just hook up your PS2 like you normally would.

Chauhan
I hook my PS2 up to my 100 inch projection tv and i have no problems although i am cautious about pausing it and playing for hours and hours

Frank Desenas
I just got a 42' rear projection t.v and for some reason my x-box games look washed out and dull when I play them unlike the vivid colors on my old 36' t.v set. I tried to adjust the color and contrast but it doesn't seem to give me the right mix of colors that I saw on the old t.v. Is there any way I can fix this problem and see those great x-box games again in its true colors and not washed out with blurry words? Thanks for your help guys.

can sombody help me???? i have playstation 2, and i have some playstation games from Thailand,that games dont work in my playstation from Norway....what can i do ?????

Vinny C
The only thing you can do is either get a mod chip, or do what I did and use a playstation one. If you go that route, you will need a gameshark, and a spring. Yes a spring. Open the lid of the playstation and look back right. You will see the little "button" the lid pushes down to tell the playstation that it's closed. If you put the spring between that and the thing that pushes it down, it will always think it's closed. Next, hook up a gameshark to the back, put in a REGULAR AMERICAN GAME, turn it on, and watch the disc spin. When it stops spinning for the gameshark thing to load, switch the disk to the import one, and then close the lid all the way. Then on the TV screen, just say "play without codes" or whatever, and the import game should work. It works for mine.

Lee51
My Toshiba 55inch Theatreview, rear projection seems to be off or something.
This is particularily noticeable when you view the guide. The image seems to be slanted slightly to one side. Like the image on the big screen is not totally straight. This, I find really anoying. Anyone ever heard of this and how it might be corrected?
Thanks in advance.

I've read many message here about burn-in and it appears that no one actually knows the answer to this question with regards to crt rear-projection. The only thing that concerns me is the life bars and the like. I pray that future games will have a variable contract level for such things so that it simply will not matter. It is not much fun playing a game thinking you may f**k your several thousand dollar investment.

If anyone actually knows the truth regarding this and no drama from dlp selling trying to sell dlp's please let us all know.

I am also having trouble regarding the bars on the sides of the screen. There are black bars on each side of my TV when I hook up PS2. They are there regardless of what screen setting I put the TV or the PS2 on. The left bar is thicker than the right. The TV is a 51" HDTV. The weirdest thing is that it is a Sony! Has anybody found a solution to this problem? Does anybody else have this same Sony (KP51WS510) that can give me some advice? I am not sure how to configure the TV to receive from sources that are widescreen but not HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
I just bought a 47in widescreen panasonic rear projection hdtv. I hooked ps2 up using the component cables. and the picture is absolutly horrible. I tried playing Madden 2004, and couldn't the image was just too blurry. What is my problem here? What can I do to fix it? Does anyone else have this issue?

Bsmart-itsurmoney
I know my X-box and new r projection T.V both told me not to hook up , I then took the time and found a much better quality T.V because I wouldn.t piss my money on focus group T.V. , I don't like having a very small zone of clarity , I wanna see my picture 100 percent from any angle not perfectly centered . If you are a loner and watch t.v alone the waste your money on rear ... don't listen to these hacks most don't seem to know much other than B.S

Anonymous
I have recently bought Socom 2 and I have hooked it up to HDIN on my Zenith HDTV. Well, when I try to play a game that doesn't offer 480p I can't see it. My tv keeps saying please hook up a valid video of 480p or 1080i. How do I deal with this problem?

Vinny C
Well it sounds to me like your Zenith only wants an HD signal running through the component video inputs. I'm not sure why that would be, you might want to contact Zenith and ask them. The obvious solution would be to use an s-video or a composite connection instead.

Bone
read http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html for a lot of info on HDTV aspect ratios and anamorphic widescreen. Those of you with SSX Tricky (PS2) will appriciate this.

ILoveTV
Bsmartisurmoney:

What are you trying to say in your post?
Are you saying not to worry about burn in with a rear projection TV?
You should proof read your work before you post.

Robert is such an a$$. Does he have to piss on everyones picknik? Get a g/f Rob.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us