Why do I need to replace my SmartCards? Q and A

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1746
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Why do I need to replace my SmartCards?

To continue accessing your programming and prepare your receiver for future enhancements, you must replace and activate your new SmartCard(s). If you don't replace your card(s), your receiver will no longer be able to receive the satellite signal.

2.What's the purpose of this card?

All Bell ExpressVu, satellite receivers use SmartCards to help decode the programming information from our satellites.

3.Where is the SmartCard located?

On most receivers, the SmartCard is located at the front, on the left. The card fits into a small slot and, depending on your model, is either exposed or behind a protective panel. Some receiver models don't currently have a SmartCard in the slot. If this case applies to you, you just have to insert the new card in the slot.

4.What happens if I don't replace the card?

It's important to replace and activate the SmartCard in your receiver as soon as possible. Otherwise, your programming will eventually be discontinued and you'll be required to return any unused new SmartCard. Failure to do so will result in a $100 SmartCard charge being applied to your account.

5.How do I perform the SmartCard replacement and activation?

A package containing your new SmartCard(s) and detailed instructions on how to replace and activate them was sent to your billing address. If you need further assistance, please call 1 866 395-9995 to speak to a representative.

6.I misplaced the new card(s) you sent. What should I do now?

Please call 1 866 395-9995 to speak to a representative.

7.How long will it take to replace and activate my new SmartCard(s)? When's the best time to perform the swap to ensure I don't miss my favourite programming?

It will take approximately 15-30 minutes for you to replace your new SmartCard, and then from 15 minutes to 2 hours for your programming to return to normal following reactivation. For more details on activating your new SmartCard, see question #14. Therefore, we recommend that you replace and activate the card at least 3 hours before your favourite show hits the airwaves.

8.What do I do with the old cards?

Once you activate your new SmartCard(s), your old card(s) will expire and no longer work. You should destroy any old cards after you can view your programming with your new cards.

9.Why should I want to replace the cards? How does it benefit me?

This replacement will prepare your receiver for the technological enhancements we're planning in the future. As such, you must replace and activate your new SmartCard(s). This is a necessary step we must take in order for you to continue receiving the same level of quality programming that you have enjoyed with Bell ExpressVu.

10.I replaced and activated my new SmartCard(s), but I can't seem to access my programming. What should I do?

Keep in mind that it will take between 15 minutes and 2 hours for your programming to return to normal after you've activated your new SmartCard(s). If you're experiencing a delay of greater than 2 hours, please go to the activation site, select the receiver with which you're having problems and follow the troubleshooting steps. If you still have issues after completing those steps, call 1 866 395-9995.

11.I have a receiver at my summer cottage and will not be able to replace my SmartCard until next summer. What should I do?

If the receiver at your summer cottage is currently on Temporary Programming Suspension (TPS), you will not receive your new SmartCard(s) in the mail until you reinitiate your service. You'll then be expected to replace your SmartCard(s) as soon as possible.

If your summer cottage account is not on TPS, you'll receive your new SmartCard with no delays. You're expected to replace and activate the SmartCard as soon as you're able to do so.

12.I have a receiver in my basement that I don't use and that isn't on my account. Will I have to replace its SmartCard?

No. Only receivers that are on your account and that are active are subject to the card replacement. However, if you plan on using this receiver in the future, you'll then need to get a new SmartCard.

13.I have a receiver in my garage that is active on my account but that I'm not currently using. Will I need to replace the SmartCard on this receiver?

Yes. All active receivers, whether rented or owned, will be part of the new SmartCard replacement. You'll be sent a new SmartCard for every receiver on your account, whether in use or not, and you'll be required to activate new SmartCards on all receivers.

14.I have installed my new SmartCard. How do I activate it?

Activate it using our online tool.

15.I have heard about the new SmartCard activation, and my friend has received his new SmartCards, but I haven't received mine. Will everyone be a part of this initiative?

Whether you've opted to rent or purchase your receiver, you'll eventually need to replace your SmartCard. In fact, all our customers will be expected to do so and to activate all their new SmartCards. The exceptions are the new 9242 HD PVR Plus receivers and 6141 HD receivers, which will not require a card replacement. The distribution of new cards is now in progress. Since this process will take several months, it's possible that you may not have received your replacement yet. You don't need to contact our customer service department nor to visit a Bell store. Your new SmartCard and all related information will be mailed to you at the address provided for your account.

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 3628
i think its for subcriers only right doreen..

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1747
Yes the above information is for subscribers only. No need to worried about "CARD SWAPING" for the non Bell ExpressVU reciever = (FTA receivers).
I just started this thread for others that are not sure about the card swaping and or why we should.

Silver Member
Username: Mucho

Post Number: 476
Doreen
Other then King Tapeman there are no TV subscribers here.

BTW you have been here much longer then I have, please tell me have you ever seen a sick SOB like this asshoe?

First he was Yukon now he is White Hawk
if I was a rat like him I would take his post to the man and have his azz banned.

White Hawk
Silver Member
Username: Kingsatman

James McPhuck

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 09:01 am:

Upload

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1749
well white... I have seen many many "sick sobs" come and go. Most impersonated LK ... I think even "King Tapeman" was one of them.

You know >>>> he who tries to be someone other than himself usually is just an admirer . This is called a form of "RESPECT" OR Jealous of the one he pretends to be. They will do anything to get attention so my advice to you is IGNORE HIM!!!!!

I wouldn't let King get to you or anyone else in this forum because most don't really know or understand the word RESPECT

BTW... I really do pay for my Bell ExpressVU but only the basic package. That way IF all FTA is down at some piont... I still can watch some TV till FTA is back up and running again. I started this back when N2 came into effect and we were down for 2 months. It's good practice to have a backup(working) receiver don't you agree?

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1750
king still think this way?
King Tapeman
Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:54 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok Nalin
Call Dikky tell him the $45 Million upgrade for Nagra3 is cracked before it hits North America he is about to get duped once again.

I tell everyone once again
Don't believe everything yo hear
Believe everything yo see first
Since yo'll always see things I say at later time

Believe me guys when I say I don't have inside information
I don't spy on people I'm not a rat
I pay attention to details
I look closely for small clues
I talk a lot
But I think 100 times more than I talk

And when I talk...yo should listen and listen carefuly
Any electronics security can be broken