QAM-foozled

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1975
Problem: Comcast cable going all digital. They give one box to convert old analog TV sets - but after that you have to rent set-top boxes for digital-analog conversion.

My question: will those ATSC set-top box converters that decode off-air digital - and get $40 government coupons - work on all-digital cable. OR do I have to either rent a Comcast box or buy a QAM standalone converter?

I've tried to get straight answers - but so far, I'm just confused.

Many thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2331
­
Larry, what TV did you get? A Samsung? I the new models come with QAM tuners. From Samsung:

"All the 2007 and 2008 Samsung LCD TVs have built-in ATSC/Clear QAM digital tuners. This means they can receive any unscrambled (Clear) QAM digital channels transmitted by your cable company. They can not, however, receive scrambled QAM digital channels without a digital cable set top box."

With just basic cable you should be able to receive your local channels in the clear. The rest of the cable channels may or may not be tunable with the TV's internal tuner -- that would depend on what your cable company decides to do. As long as your cable company charges for any extra HD channels, then you will not be able to see those HD channels without an HD cable box.

No, those cheap ATSC set top converters will not be of any help on the cable line. They are strictly for folks who are using an ordinary antenna for over the air reception while using an analog TV.
­

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1976
John S - thanks so much, sir! Yeah, we got a wunnerful Samsung LN46A650 - with all the requisite tuners inside. I was writing about our other, analog TVs that will not receive any digital channels.
Me thinks it is time to dump the analogs and get some new and improved TVs for the other rooms! Small screen TVs are coming WAY down in price.
Many thanks - LarryR

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2332
­
If you have basic cable hooked up to those analog TVs, you'll be OK for the locals and maybe more -- again how many more depends on what the cable company decides. There's no doubt some digital to analog conversion will be done by the cable company on their basic cable.

If you have cable boxes on any of those TVs, then you will not have any issues with the digital conversion next February.

However, if you are using an over-the-air antenna on those analog TVs, then you will need one of those government sponsored converter boxes.
­

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1978
John S - again, thanks. Comcast is going ALL digital in many areas, and there will not be any more analog stuff coming down the wire.
It's time to upgrade the secondary TVs, anyway.
Progress, eh? (grin)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2334
­
Cable companies are actually required by FCC rules to continue offering local broadcast stations to their customers in analog as long as they offer any analog service. This requirement will continue for at least three years after February 17, 2009. The Commission will decide in 2011 whether the requirement should be continued beyond February 17, 2012. This means that customers who receive analog cable service (without a cable set-top box) will be able to continue to do so.

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq25

All television will no doubt go digital eventually. I just don't believe that the many basic cable subscribers are going to wake up one morning and not see any TV on their old sets. There are too many people (like me) who are using digital converter boxes on some TVs and basic cable on others. These cable companies can't be so stupid as to alienate these "hybrid" costomers by making some of their loyal customers' household TVs useless overnight.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1979
John S - well, sir, Comcast is about to become "stupid." By year's end, they will be sending down ONLY digital signals to about 25% of their customers, with a lot more to come in 2009.
In the areas where the big switch comes, there will be NO more analog service. Period. However, Comcast will be supplying an UNCERTAIN number of converter boxes for those who still have analog sets.
We're told that we're in line for only-digital service by spring, which is the cause of my questioning what my options might be.
Strange world, ain't it? Yep. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2335
­
Larry, I've heard no such news for my cable co.

"Will there be any analog channels on basic cable after Feb. 2009?"

I asked my cable operator this question a year ago and their answer was "Too early to say."
I just asked them again -- I will let you know what they say.
­

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1980
John S - a call to Comcast confirmed what I'd heard and read earlier: Comcast will gradually move to all-digital service over the next 18 months in most parts of the country.
Our very good friends who live in West Chester, PA, will be getting ALL-digital service in September. Some of the first in the country, I guess.
I asked them specifically if there'd be ANY analog service, and they said "no."
Columbus may be in about the same cable-boat as Swampville: far enough down the feed chain so we won't get only-digital for awhile yet.
Mer gave away our analog TVs - to Habitat for Humanity - so that surprise(!) means I'll have to buy new digital sets for any room other than our living room. Oh, well - we basically use only the one set, anyway!

Cheers - - -LarryR

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2338
­
Larry -- from my cable co I get this terse reply:

Thank you for contacting WOW! Internet, Cable and Phone,

At this time WOW! will continue to provide an analog signal to our customers who have TV's connected to the WOW! cable. People using rabbit ears or an antenna to recieve their television are the only people affected by the 2009 DTV change.

How many channels and how long they will be there is still the question....

As I understand it, adding two dozen or so HD channels to an already crowded lineup of analog/digital channels is causing severe bandwidth problems for the cables. So they'd like nothing better than to go all digital.
­

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1981
John S - yeah, the bandwidth situation is, I guess, what's driving Comcast toward all-digital service. I'll post a reaction when my friends in PA are switched over to all-digital. They have six TVs in their home, only one of which is digital! So they're quite concerned about what Comcast may or may not charge for converter boxes. Thanks (?) to Mer's house-cleaning, I no longer have to worry about analog. . . .sigh.

Respectfully. . .LarryR
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us