RS232 port to USB

Silver Member
Username: Frobi

Post Number: 220
I have a laptop but has only 4 USB ports. How can I connest VS extreme to the laptop. I have the cable that came with the VS receiver but both ends are for RS232 ports.
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Ez2ctv

Platinum Mem...

Post Number: 75
http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=123071&sk u=C184-26886&srkey=C184-26886

You need a USB to RS232 DB9 serial adapter.
See link above CompUSA has it for $ 14.99 includes Prolific drivers on a CD. Compusa.Com on line or walk in to a stroe. Note same deal at Tiger Direct.com (Tiger direct bought CompUsa a few months ago)

Also this is another one that works from MonoPrice.Com for a few less $ http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104 &p_id=2276&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Silver Member
Username: Frobi

Post Number: 221
Thanks Tony,
I ordered one from monoprice.com that you suggested.

Silver Member
Username: Metallica

Post Number: 858
Neil..you can get 1 at Best Buy or Circuit City quicker so you don't have to wait for the order.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonydif

Post Number: 12
Don't buy from ebay. Just gor mine and it didn't recognize Fta, mouse, phone,. It is crappy quality. Spend the money. Buy from FTA stores, so you know they work with the units.

Silver Member
Username: Kingofdakingz

Post Number: 286
BUY SOMEONE STRAIGHT FROM USB TO RS232.

DONT BUY A CABLE WHERE U HAVE A ADAPTER OR SOME KIND OF CONNECTION BETWEEN THE WIRE I HAVE IT AND IT DONT WORK. SO GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT CABLE

Bronze Member

Platinum Mem...

Post Number: 76
You need to have the correct driver for the chipset on the USB - RS232 adapter

The ones I mentioned use the Prolific chip.

If your don't work you don't have the correct drivers or don't know how to install them or do not have the correct port setup in you device manager OR selecting the correct port on the GUI that your FTA bin installer uses.

DO a search in google for your correct drivers using "Chipset Name' USB to RS232 adapter XP driver"

Bronze Member

Platinum Mem...

Post Number: 77
If you have a Prolific chip on your USB -> RS232 adapter you can get a Prolific driver here: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Bronze Member

Platinum Mem...

Post Number: 78
Here is a PDF file to help you install the Drivers XP AND VISTA

http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/%5CIO%20Cable%5CPL-2303X%5CDocuments%5C User%20Manual%5Cum_pl2303_v1.2.pdf

Silver Member
Username: Kingofdakingz

Post Number: 291
thanks tony

Bronze Member
Username: Saadiaa

Post Number: 95
Hi I have converted Flu..I used to program it with my Comp...But some how the serial port broke from inside...Now I bought a new RS232 PCI Card.The company is AK..I installed the driver and everything but it's not working...can any one plz help me..I have three fortecs and it will be though luck to buy three more just cause of the dumb serial port..Cause i heard u can't find the right ones any moreeeee.Plz help

Bronze Member
Username: Kb1

Post Number: 41
I just bought USB 1.1 serial apapter

which is not working properly is this the right cable for USB to serial

Silver Member
Username: Dishlover

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 225
Which cable we can use for Puff receiver to lead bin file from Laptop. Please help?

Bronze Member
Username: Popol_vuh

Post Number: 61
Kami, the prolific drivers are problematic on Vista. If that is your situation, there is a workaround. I have a prolific based cable for my cell phone and was able to install it to Vista by making a preinstall on my xp machine, which expanded the install package into a temp folder on the XP machine. Then, before continuing the install, I looked up that temp folder on the hard drive, copied it on a USB card and then moved the card to my Vista machine, pasted the contents in a folder then instructed Vista to look for drivers on that folder and voila, it works on Vista now.

This is not my own discovery, I found it on the net. If that's your problem, you may be able to solve it this way.

Good Luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us