42 - 47 new TV

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 431
In the market for a new TV 42" to 47", I'm leaning more towards plasma since everything I read says plasma has a better picture than LCD.

What specs should I pay attention to? I just had a salesman tell me that contrast ratio doesn't matter, should I not have walked out of the store when he told me that?

Open to all suggestions. Budget < $900 (if possible)

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8029
The "plasma has better picture than LCD" is false or at least not completely true. It all depends on the individual model.

A DLP set will usually give you the best picture, I have seen very few other TVs stack up to those, but that technology is only used on the larger sets. Another thing to watch out is with plasma some of them are susceptible to burn-in. The only real downside with LCD is the viewing angle is not as wide as the others. That salesmen was sort of on the right track about the contrast ratio. Usually you won't notice the difference but if it's a big difference between the ratings then it can be noticeable. You just want to make sure the contrast ratio and response time (in milliseconds) are reasonable compared to other models.

I just bought a HDTV and did a sh!t ton of research about them before I bought haha. This is the one I have, I determined it to be the best in terms of performance vs price:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9106635

I was looking for a 32" though and didn't really want to spend more than $500. With $900 you should be able to get a very nice 42" or a bit bigger.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8442
In my opinion Vizio T.V.s are hard to beat for the money. I know two people who have them and I couldn't find anything better for the money they paid.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3893
For plasma, Panasonic. Their PQ and reliability can't be beat. Pioneers have a little better PQ but cost far more. Vizio isn't even in the same league. Unless you're going to have static images on the screen for extended periods of time or watch a lot of TV with black bars, burn-in won't be a problem with a Panasonic plasma. I have 2 of them, you won't be disappointed.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8042
I compared the Sanyo I linked above to a similar priced Vizio and saw a slightly noticeable difference in the picture, the Sanyo being better. Not to mention it had more inputs also.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1412
ms buddy WTF

"A DLP set will usually give you the best picture" "I have seen very few other TVs stack up to those", but that technology is only used on the larger sets. Another thing to watch out is with plasma some of them are susceptible to burn-in. "The only real downside with LCD is the viewing angle is not as wide as the others." "That salesmen was sort of on the right track about the contrast ratio. Usually you won't notice the difference but if it's a big difference between the ratings then it can be noticeable." "You just want to make sure the contrast ratio and response time (in milliseconds) are reasonable compared to other models. "

ok 85 percent of what you said is BS and makes my BS meter xpload.

ok first off a lcd is viewable witht he same quality at all angles a dlp is not. i dlp can produce decent picture but only when on the level with what the tvs best viewing angle is. also plasma is pretty much on par with ur best picture available. a dlp projector can offer extream clarity and picture but is very expensive. as far as burn in goes it's near non existant todays tv's have alot of features to fix that. the contrast ratio and refresh rat make a huge difference they are due to laitency is ghost imaging that happens alot in gaming on a lcd tv. thething is this, are you going to be gaiming? if so go with a lcd or plasma if you want a tv for a movie type room that will feature a couch and no movement like a living room where you will just sit watch tv and movies nothing else then go dlp but be prepared to move it around till your image looks clear cause dlp tvs have a fuzziness when viewed on a angle an not dead on. if gaming you want high very vast refresh rate and contrast. if you buy a lcd keep in mind blacks will not be a defineing black they will be a milky black not a defineing black color u can get with a plasma. so keep that in mind also remember u pay less for 720 p reoloution and more for 1080p. if u will be watching blu ray movies or any high deff gaming go with 1080p if standard dvds tv and so on then 720 is fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us