Sony grand wega problems

Username: Rthompson

Mt airy, Ga Us

Post Number: 1
i bought this model kdf-e60a20 11 monthhs ago,cool tv.3 days ago i cme home after a hard days work hoping to cool of in front of my awsome tv.hit the power button,it started to come on normally,then after a few seconds went back off.sound and picture.after 30 or so seconds it repeats this process.called sony support and got the lets do a power reset thing,didnt work of course.did the online help thing,lets do a system reset,also to no avail.called back customer support,they gave me 2 numbers to call in my area.1 only works on what he sells and the other is 30 miles away and i have to bring it to him.so i called again,they put me in touch with a guy who can come in 2weeks,if i fax him the sales recipt.theres another probem,i lost it.probably when i moved.my question is can anyone tell me how to move foreward in this predicament.do these things not have a build date etc.i have had cars,lawn mowers etc serviced under warranty without recipts.

Username: Aummie44

Sacramento, CA

Post Number: 2
I had the same problem with my exact set. Sony will not admit that they have a design defect with the lamp that only lasts 1 1/2 -2 yrs. They blame it on the technology! I think they are well aware of the problem and just want consumers to reach back in their pockets every couple years to replace the lamp on a TV that cost us almost $3000. The lamp is located in the front of the TV two screws on the back open the panel in front take out the old lamp and install a new lamp. It snaps in and you screw one screw with an aln wrench tool that came with my lamp. Real easy to do yourself. The lamp from Sony cost $200 with about $15 S&H. There are companies that sell the replacement lamp for as low as $179. I am still trying to get at least one replacement lamp from Sony for the future, they just wont budge though. They are awful about this obvious design defect that does not withstand the law of warranty of merchantability. But my quest to be compensated will continue and hope some day to see a class action lawsuit. It really is highway robbery and all they have to say about it is its the technology. I say you should have looked further into the technology before you put this design out in the marketplace. After all i bought the Sony because of reputation. Past Sony TV's that i could remember generally lasted 10 sometimes up to 20 yrs. I will never buy a Sony product again until they rectify this obvious problem on this expensive TV.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3880
All projection TVs need lamp replacement, it's a fact of life. There are many factors in lamp life. Do some research and you'll find info on how to prolong lamp life. Flat panels cost more up front but probably save money in the long run. RPTVs give good bang for the buck, but have a far higher operating cost than flat panels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us