DVD (not DVR), old TV, digital cable box-HELP!!!

Username: Tdunn717

Post Number: 1
TV has no a/v jacks..only coax cable hookup on back (it's an LXI, got at Sears in the mid 90's)...SA Explorer 4200 digital cable box...DVD is Memorex MVD2042...has s-video jack, but no coax jack
My question is this (I know how to do it w/ an RF modulator, but money's tight and I'd rather not buy one right now) Can I hook the DVD up to the cable box using the a/v cables, either with or without the s-video cable? (which I don't have anyway). I have a VCR, but I know that hooking it up that way doesn't produce good quality, especially w/ digital cable. Or do I just have to trot over to Radio Shack and get an RF modulator?
And can I rant for a minute here (a la Dennis Miller) WHY DON'T DVD PLAYERS HAVE A COAX JACK TO HOOK THE STUPID THING UP EASILY LIKE VCR'S AND DVR'S HAVE????!!!!
Anyway, any advice is welcome...
Thanks!
Tracey

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3877
DVD players don't have an RF output because they cost money. 90+% of people buying them have line inputs on their TV. DVD players have about 525 lines of resolution, the best that can be done through RF is 330 lines max, with PQ varying greatly depending on the quality of the RF converter. You're wasting the high resolution of DVDs using an RF connection. You can't connect through a VCR without getting copy protection problems in most cases. You need an RF modulator.

Silver Member
Username: Mshah2006

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 160
Please let me know what is the best way to hookup pc to LCD TV? Which connections and which cable to use?

Username: Tdunn717

Post Number: 2
Thanks. I kinda figured I'd have to get an rf modulator. I was just hoping for some way to avoid it. Oh well!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us