Signal / Quality problem - advice please

Bronze Member
Username: Varius

Post Number: 21
Hey guys,

Yesterday I got a new receiver so I connected it downstairs and everything worked fine. I took my old one and put it upstairs. I went out to buy a RG6 cable to connect it with.

I couldn't get it to get any quality (signal was about 55) so decided to try swapping the RG6 cable with the one I had working fine downstairs. Still didn't work and then putting back the old one downstairs, it wouldn't work again either (working a few minutes previously). Both receivers, were getting signal but no quality now with whichever cable I tried.

After playing around with the wires back and forth I finally got some quality back, less than before though: about signal 55, quality 35. Enough to see most channels ok, but some weren't enough quality now. The problem seemed to be the wall outlet/connector was slightly loose - that's all I could figure because if I moved the wire slightly, quality became lost again.

Upstairs, I played around the same way and managed to get about the same signal/quality after about 30 mins of moving the wire around ever so slightly.

What I am wondering is how can I fix this issue, it seems unlikely that both wall connections went bad at the same time?

Should I call an electrician or someone over to replace / check them both or do you guys think there is something else I am missing here?

The actual cable coming from the satellite is being split in the attic to go to 1 outlet upstairs and 1 outlet downstairs.

Bronze Member
Username: Loverboyz

Post Number: 33
I am having the same problem as you are having. I bought a splitter to split the signals. But I can watch only one transponder on both receivers at the same time. If you figure out your problem please let me know.

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 163
Make sure both receivers try to receive the same channel Keith since you have a splitter in line. If you are not the same channel (H or V polarity) you might loose signal AND quality.

Yes you should dismantle the wall plates and have a look at the connector on the other side. Might be loose !

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2957
What yo are describing can be anything
Poor connectors, bad or damaged wires, bad alignment affected by a rocky tree
Etc.

What type of receiver yo got?
I have a feeling it's that 2700 P/S

I had to replace all poor connectors on my new house when I bought it put together by a cheap builder

Make sure yo use snap and seal crimps
Dish bolted steady

Silver Member
Username: Mucho

Post Number: 422
Keith Bussey
What type of service do you have?
1) UHF/VHF/FM indoor, outdoor Antenna
2) CABLE
3) Paid Satellite
4) FTA Satellite

Which of the above was your house pre-wired for?
If you don't know, do this, look by your electric meter
and you should see a splitter, now tell us how many
cables are going in your house from this splitter?

Bronze Member
Username: Afrimpeja

Forest hills, Ny Usa

Post Number: 70
im having some problem with signal 2 it worked fine i have to recivers conected to DP34 now all of suden doesent give me signal in my MAGNUM reciver after i reboot in back and back on signal is ther but it lest ony 30 seconds then again it says no signal if someone can help i realy apriciate

Username: Pansad

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
to properly run 2 receivers you need 2 duel lnbs and 2 switches and run one line to each receiver or they will fight for the signal. if you have rg59 running instead of rg6 you will not maintain band width and also be lacking in shielding from electrical noise if that helps. an inline dish signal amp may help as well. they go for about 25 bucks at rona or home deopot

Bronze Member
Username: Afrimpeja

Forest hills, Ny Usa

Post Number: 71
hmmmmm i wish i got what u say my dish has dual lnb dishnetwork people instaled theni canceled i run to cables from dish to dp34 switch and from swithc to recivers the second thing i dont no what u ment inline dish signal amp how do i look for that at home depo under what name

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
if your dish has one dual lnb that sounds more like a direct tv setup if it has two lnbs unless they are both duals it can't really run two satellite dishes. each lnb has to have two outputs one lnb is for your 119 and the other is for 110 and as long as the lnbs have two ouputs you can rub two switches and two lines coming into the house for two separate receivers .
it is called a inline satellite amplifier and it looks like a long fat barrel connector.they are made to improve signal strength on long runs or bad signal areas.
you would still have a problem running two receivers at the same time through a splitter. one would have to be turned off from the back of the set so it wouldn't interfere with the one you are using.does that help???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hi guys and thanks for all the replies, here is some more info:

The receivers are SV 8000HD and a CS7000 PVR.

If I completely unplug one of the receivers, the other doesn't get any increased signal or quality. Thus I don't think it's them fighting for signal with each other.

When are both are connected I can watch two different channels on each and I have the same signal / quality as when only one box is connected and watching one channel.

I have seen the connector in my wall is sort of loose and jerking it around lowers the quality. That's why I am thinking it might be best to call someone to change them.

Unfortunately, I am in Costa Rica and the guy who did my install passed away two years ago. All I know about it is I have just a single LNB (I remember him telling me I could only get 110 or 119 not both at same time) and my dish is about 1.8M in diameter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I just tried something and the result puzzles me.

I disconnected the RG6 from my box and removed the wall connector and connected the cable straight to my receiver, to cut out the middle man (connector) as a problem source.

I got 0 quality. I tried moving the wire around a bit, no luck couldn't get anything. I put it back in through the connector and ended up back with the same quality I had earlier.

If this eliminates the connector as a problem, I'd guess it might be the splitter or the cable it self (inside the wall) that's the issue? Why would it get quality 0 though, shouldn't it get at least something, or at least what I get when I use the connector?

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2993
Yo are not providing deatails about yor hardware installation

I got so far that yo have
- SV 8000HD
- CS7000 PVR
These are great receivers
- 1.8M dish
- One single LNB
- RG6 cables
- Loose connectors

Do yo have DISEqC switch?
Usually it comes with either one of these receivers
- Is yor house wired for Cable TV?
- If yor house pre-wired for cable TV make sure house splitters if any 2GHz
- If yor connectors are loose yo must install better connectors yo spent good money already on receivers...good connecters ... crimpped well are very
important

- Yor LNB better have 2 outlets
- One for each receiver

Check King's archives
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1496579#POST1496579

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
one thing i just thought of, if you are using a standard ant.splitter a big problem is the receivers send voltage to the lnbs. two receivers connected together will ether send too much power to the switch and lnbs damaging them or could feed back output to output on the receivers and damage them. you may want to try your receivers at a friends house or local sat shop and make sure they are ok and then do the same with your lnbs and switch.

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
im not sure what what system you have . it sounded like you said dish net but to get all your channels on that you would have a dish with 2 lnbs side by side . otherwise you have the direct tv type setup.for dish net and 2 receivers you need 2 dual lnbs and 2 switches and 2 cables going into your house , 1 for each receiver. if you have 1 lnb it must be a dual and you dont need a switch but you still need 2 cables . a splitter unless it is an I F splitter made for dish I F it wont work.i have never heard of one but they may exist
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us