Archive through March 10, 2008

Bronze Member
Username: Evab

Post Number: 23
C
Mine is the lemon picture or yellow stain
My Advice is being patient it took me three and a half months for a resolution.
Write your letters follow procedure, be polite. Sony will work with you.

I received a call yesterday from Randall executive customer affairs; I have been offered a year warranty, a new optical block that Sony will reimburse me for. I pay for labor. Sony pays for the part. This I can do.
Randall has been the nicest person I have spoke with from Sony; he also seems to be the only person that understands three thousand dollars is a lot of money.

Username: Boxermom

Louisiana

Post Number: 9
Well, we received our replacement tv today and they hauled away the old one. HOW NICE it is to watch without any blobs, haze , or blue strobe lights!
We are pleased with how first Philip, then Hank handled eveything.

Username: Gene_mohr

Martinez, GA USA

Post Number: 3
Becky L, congrats on your new TV. I spoke with Hank last week and our local Sony Svc Center. Amanda at STV SVC called and said they were ordering the part(I hope it is both the optical block and the updated board) and will call for a pickup date to take the TV to the shop and verify the problem. Then they will fix it and I guess Sony will reimburse them. I am going to call Hank today to let him know that the process has begun.

I must say that Philip and Hank have helped to restore my faith in Sony's customer service.

Username: Recky

I've been back chair monitoring this message board since Nov-07 due to similar problems I encounter with my KF-50WE610. We'll after the blue blog had grown to consume the center half of the screen & also developed a horizontal blue line across the bottom of the screen I decided to open the TV see if I could accomplish anything. I was of the attitude, it's broken now, my warranty was expired & Sony had discontinued coverage of this problem for my model as of Sept, so go for it. (guy's can fix anything, yea right)
We'll my tampering only made it worse, to the point it was no longer watchable! So on the Dec 13th I went out and purchased a new TV.
Then don't you know a few days later on this site, I see that Sony is going to now cover this problem for the model I purchased. We'll I just had the service tech out here for a LE replacement but since I had tampered with the TV & light engine I would have had to pay $599 for the core value of the old LE plus the service call at the minimum if he continued. I paid for the service call and opted not to invest another +$700 into this original $3000 set. After the first $200 lamp failure at 18 months from date of purchase and the 2nd lamp I purchased this past Sept when I started seeing screen issues. That was the beginnings of the blue blob, mistaken for a bulb problem.
I spent weeks researching this problem that I then came to learn that Sony was aware of for well over a year and had decided not to fully support. That is why I attempted repairs myself only to end up on the short end by a matter of days.
Perhaps if the $500 Sony digital camera I bought near the same time hadn't failed ($177 to repair) and my $200 Sony DVD player would read better than half my DVD's that I replaced with another Sony DVD player. And had my Sony PC's hard drive and DVD drive hadn't both failed just months out of warranty, maybe I would have a better attitude about Sony. And then there's the Sony surround sound receiver that works.
This company appears to me as "to little product backing and customer service, too late".
Sorry, I just needed to vent and I do hope you folks have better results with Sony. I for one have lost the faith!

Username: Carolina23

Leesburg, Virginia Usa

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm another victim of the road mapping issue. I purchased my KF50WE610 IN FEB 05 and have around 3000 hours of usage.I turned it on on Wed. to watch some college football and I find a big yellow blotch on the tv. I called Sony and They said that it was a known issue with this model but it was past the extended
warranty period and that it was too bad that I
didn't have the "blue blob" problem also. If I wanted to fix the TV I could call a local Sony Service company to have it fixed. I will NEVER purchase another product from SONY again.
If Sony is still monitoring this site I just want to say that for the past 10 yrs,I've bought only sony electronics but that will change after this very poor treatment.

Username: Kevin_conley

Post Number: 6
Its great some people are getting help, but am I out of luck because I have a newer model that isnt listed from sony as a "known issue"? How is it I can have the same problems, newer version, and Im not being helped? If managers from sony really are monitoring this thread, and seem to be helping some, what about the rest of us?

I spent 2,000 dollars on a wonderful tv, and not even 2 years later I have annoying purple/blue marks in both corners (and it seems now I see faint marks in the middle of the screen, much bigger, but faint at the moment.

Even if I bought a 300 dollar tv and had these issues not 2 years later I would be upset. But to spend 2,000???? I can understand problems happen, but with so many other people having the same problems, I expect a company to be more helpfull when they are contacted. The first line of defense shouldnt be turning consumers to "fix the problem yourself". Especially when the fix costs more then buying a new one.

Username: Gabbadogs

Just my two cents worth which may be helpful to someone. My beautiful KDF-55E2000 developed a reddish haze across the top of the screen along with a slight green haze along the bottom. It also came up with the purple smudge marks all over the course of a day or two. Smudges are darkest in the top corners of the screen but seem getting worse. The red band or haze seems to be holding steady at the top 2 inches of the screen. Anyway, I didn't pay for the extended warranty and of course all these problems cropped up 14 months after purchase as dictated by Murphy's Law :-) After doing my research last night, including this thread, I called Sony today and wanted to share the outcome with you guys. My original limited warranty shows one year for everything EXCEPT the optical block which has a two year "parts only" warranty. That's nice except for the extra several hundred dollars to pay the Sony tech to do half an hour's work on top of having to haul the whole thing to them myself which is no mean feat in itself. The good news here is that after a little squeezing the Sony rep told me that if it is in fact the optical block causing the problem they'll cover the house-call, labor, and everything. This amounts to a proper two year full warranty rather than parts-only so good news indeed for a lot of people experiencing the same problems. The red stripe isn't mentioned very often on the Internet but the purple "fingerprints" or smudges seem to be rather common which helps explain Sony's completely unexpected generosity in coughing up for labor and whatnot. As far as I know my particular set isn't covered by any special extended Sony warranty like some are so hopefully they're seeing an obvious pattern here with the optical blocks and taking it upon themselves to do the right thing. I'm optimistic at this point but I'll repost with the all important final outcome here in a few weeks.

Username: Andrewmoore

I've got a KDF-55WF655. We replaced the bulb a couple of months ago. I just came back from being out of town a few weeks and noticed blue light coming from the bottom of the screen. It starts in the lower right corner and stretches across roughly 1/2 the screen. Right now, I'd say its reaches about an inch up the screen, if that makes sense. Its definitely not a blob (yet) as others have described. Any guesses if this is also an optical block issue? I'm actually hoping it is so Sony can take care of it.

Thanks for the great information everyone!

Username: Luckyben

Post Number: 4
Hello all, a recap of my "blue blob" problem on my 2004 KDF42WE655. This problem is posted on the Sony website as covered through Dec. 2008. I was lucky enough to have this specific problem, and thought I'd share my experience in the hopes that others here would benefit.

I called Sony about this on 12/28. I was on hold maybe 30 seconds. Spoke to the agent who took all my info, and less than 30 minutes later, a technician called me to discuss the problem. I told him it looked similar to what was posted on the website, so he went ahead and order my new optical block - site unseen. He was apologetic that it couldn't be ordered until after the new year - however I was impressed how polite he was and quick to order the part. Today (1/5) I was going to call Sony to check the status - but the local repair guy beat me to it! He called me and said he was on his way to my house to replace the part! Replacing the block took about an hour, and now I basically have a brand new TV and it didn't cost me one dime.

8 days from reporting the problem to having it fixed, in my house and for free, I think is pretty darn impressive. I couldn't be happier.

I really have this board to thank, without it I would've never been aware of the problem and probably would have just lived with it or replaced the set.

Given the quick way they resolved my problem, I have a feeling Sony is taking it very seriously. Again I believe this is due to boards like this one putting pressure on them. Keep it up, and I bet you'll be successful.

The one thing Sony could do that would be "over the top" would be for them to send letters out to all registered owners asking if they have the problem (I doubt it but a big company like Sony could afford it).

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great information on this board.

Username: Dragonmist

Lynchburg, VA USA

Hello
I have a Sony KDF55WF655 TV. It recently started turning itself off and then back on. It turns on for about a minute, then the picture goes off, the green light blinks for about 30 sec, then the picture comes back on for 30 sec, then goes off again. Is this the lamp? We have someone coming to look at it on Monday, but I want to know if I should just order the lamp. We haven't been able to use the TV since Christmas Eve :-(

Username: Netpath

Halifax, NS Canada

Post Number: 2
Update on my KF-60WE610 which developed the Optical Block problem in late November. The set was manufactured in Feb 2004 and purchased in May 2004 for $5750 + taxes.

Sony Canada's response was outstanding!

They agreed to cover the entire cost of the repair of our KF60WE610 or to provide a significant discount on a new KDSR60XBR2. The XBR2 lists at $4,999.99 on the sonystyle.ca site and they offered to sell it to us for $3400 with a two year warranty. This seemed like a good deal until we checked with our local Sony Store and found the set was on sale with a stand for $3499. When the customer support center learned of the local sale price they revised their offer to $2000, still with a 2 year warranty.

In the end, we decided to go with the repair and keep our older set. We'd like to eventually replace it with a Sony flat-panel LCD when larger than 52' panels become available.

Grant from A&N Electronics replaced the OB in the set on Thursday. It looks and works like new!

Thank you Sony!

Username: Mikea

I have a 2 yr old KDF-E42A10. Last few days noticed that after the set was on for about 30 min the color would start to distort then the set would go black with some random colors "running" horizontally. Audio would be off too. I would turn off the set and wait. When I turned it back on it was ok, but 30 min later, same thing would happen. This went on about 3-4 times over the last few days. Last night I turned on the set and had no issues for 3 hours. "Lamp" indicator light is not lit. Could it be the lamp going?

Username: Nypd

On the phone with Sony again now they want an estimate then they will "work with me" to resolve my issue whatever that means seems as if they dont understand if you use a defective part it will continue to be defective regardless of the TV model number it was installed in? Anyone else with a KDF-E55A20? My TV model number didnt make the list so no extended warranty so far like I said lets focus on the defective part itself not just the model of the TV.

Username: Jamied77

Andrew Moore:
That's how the problem starts. In a year you'll have huge blue blob and possibly blue dots on your screen.

Teresa Lombardi:
Sounds like a bulb issue.

Username: Sandra_lewis

I just got a call from Jose at Sony. They are refusing to cover our model. Our Sony Grand Wega KF-60DX100, which was bought in July, 2002, and cost $5,400.00, lasted four years before the blue blob took over the screen. Sony is covering models from 2003 forward, but says our model is not known to have this problem and the TV should not be expected to last any longer than it has (4 years). Jose would not even discuss the matter and just continued to say over and over that this is the decision that Sony has made. If this is the way Sony takes care of their customers, I will not be buying another Sony product. We will now be forced to take this to small claims court.

Post Number: 7
C, I dont have your model, but I have the KDF-E42A10 and I have purple/blue marks in both top corners and now Im seeing it throughout the middle of the screen.

Im not covered either, but Im going to assume its the same part.

Username: Seal14

Keller, TX USA

I am a new member to the "got hosed" by Sony club. I have a Sony Grand Wega KF-42WE610 that I purchased Dec.28, 2003 to watch my alma mater play in the BCS game on Jan.4, 2004. Early on we had minor problems with the set that seemed to resolve on their own.

Recently my set began to develop purple blobs on the screen that made people on the screen appear as bright red. I found out that my TV has optical block problems and is included in the recall. I contacted Sony and determined the problem was the optical block and confirmed that the set was a part of the extended warranty the Sony rep. informed me in writing that the problem would be covered if serviced by an authorized service representative. I contacted AAA in Fort Worth and they sent out a rep on Dec. 28. Unfortunately, the rep. determined that although it was the optical block that was bad, my TV was exhibiting the wrong color (purple, not blue) to be covered under the warranty.

My college alma mater is playing tonight for the championship and my 42" TV is unwatchable. We had to buy another TV (not a Sony) to watch the game.

After 25 years of purchasing Sony products I am not a happy customer. I have emailed Sony and written letters to customer relations and the Sony president and ceo. From reading some of the earlier posts I am not optimistic that Sony will do anything to fix this problem. They certainly can't replace my big screen in time for me to watch the LSU/Ohio State game tonight.

Is there a class action suit in Texas like the one in New York and other states? I appreciate any information and help that is provided. Thank You!

It is pretty sad that while Sony is touting that it is "taking care" of its customers with the extended warranty they are not focusing on the OPTICAL BLOCK as the issue, they want to get caught up on what model TV or even what color your defect appears rather than taking care of the problem who cares what color your blob or staining is or what TV Model you have if it is a defective model(Im sure they are numbered) optical block SONY JUST FIX IT !

For my problem Sony Authorized service center is 30 plus miles away and the TV is 55 inches so now I have to wait for an authorized tech to contact me to set up an in home service call, did they actually think I was going to transport my TV anyware at all??? My next hurdle in this process is if the diagnosis is Opt Block will Sony fix it??? Wrong TV Model/Wrong color not the same problem or so they say.

Username: Dragonmist

Lynchburg, VA USA

Thanks Jamie.
The repairman said it could be the lamp or the ballast. We checked the lamp hours and have appox 7900 hours. We're going to get the lamp first and hope that solves it.

Username: Kboom1

Hi all i have the same probs with dark blobs on my tv and pixilization i have contcted sony and the place where i bought my tv rex tv center sent out a repair man to fix the probs 1 month after i bought the tv. it was the last time i seen him. he told me he had to order a new light engine.4 yrs later i am still waiting .my warenties have since ran out and the place i have purchaced the tv from told me that the service guy said he was at my house and had installed the parts .witch he never did.I have contacted sony about this problem and all they would say is i'll have to pay another 350.00 to get one of their tecs to rediagnose the prob.I am so discusted with sony and would never buy another sony product as long as i live .Now that i'm done complaining if anyone has any ideas how to resolve this issue i will be very greatfull.its a KDF 60 WF655

Joe, is your model on the Sony "list" because if it isn't, you're probably out of luck. They don't seem to be concerned with the fact that their OPTICAL BLOCK is the problem and not the model # of the TV. They have elected to pick and choose which models they will fix. I was told that I should not expect my TV to have lasted longer than 4 years (from 2002 - 2006), which is when the screen became totally covered with blue blob. When you pay $5,400 for a product the manufacturer calls their top of the line cutting edge model, you really think you can expect more...but not if the manufacturer is Sony. I had a Sony Survey waiting in my email this morning, and you can imagine how happy I was to "take a few minutes" and answer their questions. I'll add the link here in case any of you would also like to "take a few minutes".
http://www.surveys.sony.com/surveyma/cisc_survey10.asp?Event_ID=E36189474&Type=TS

Username: Russcb

KDF-E42A10 manufactured dec. o5 .My set went worked great for 21 months.Came home and got the dreaded "honey the tv isn't working".Takes about 40 seconds for tv to come on.Screen has multi colored thin verticle lines,piture is seen behind lines. No sound. NO remote function,only power on-off.Took set to local SONY service.Result bad B-BLOCK,$800 part,$250 labor.Anyone with these symptoms ????

Username: Becky_q

I am so glad I foud this site! I think I have 2 problems. The first problem I notice a little over the last month or so is the purplish smudge looking areas in both top corners of the screen. I didn't seem likely but I thought they were figerprints, except that no one really touches the screen much. I'm hearing this alot on this page, but my TV is a 2006 model. Newer than most on here. The other problem is this black "brushstroke" looking area in the bottom right corner. It rus about 6 inches long and about an inch high. Out around is a much fainter light grey cloudy area. All of these are only really noticeable when the picture is white or very light. I called the place where I bought it and they said I have a one year warranty so they are having a repairman call me within 48 hours to set up a service call for no charge. Is there anything I should make sure he repairs or considers before I approve any repairs? Should I have the serviceman or myself try to contact Sony about the Optical Block issue even though my model doesn't appear to be on the list? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 8
becky, what model do you have? I have the same purple marks in the top corners of my tv. Please report back when the repair man finds out what it is. Im hoping its just dust, worried its OB prob.

My tv is a KDF-E42A10

Username: Becky_q

I'm sorry....I thought I included it. KDF-50E2000. Dated July 2006

Username: Kwags

Just for the record, I have a KDF-60XS955 purchased in August 2005 that has just developed the has.

I purchased it from Circuit City and did add the extended warranty through 8/2009, so between them and Sony, I'm not too worried... And I assume there are probably more people who are under warranty that haven't bothered looking and/or posting back about their problem.

Anyway... I did want to note that a local service center did just change the bulb in October 2007. I'm honestly not sure when the haze started, but I first noticed it tonight. I then did my google hunt to find the problem and landed here.

Other people noted a bulb change just prior to the haze starting, so I am pointing out the possible correlation between the bulb change after a few years and the haze appearing. In case anyone happened to miss it. :-)

Someone above explained the optical plate and how it works... perhaps there is some added heat or light output from a new bulb that more harshly impacts the plate that is used to a dimmer, older, cooler bulb.

Anyway... Good luck and best wishes to all with the trouble.

Username: Dsanner106

Morrow, Ga Usa

After several minutes of watching tv, both the picture and sound go off, and after a minute or so, return to normal. This will repeat randomly as long as I am watching. The green light stays on and solid. I have a KDF- 60???? sorry, at work and don't have the rest of the number. It is about 1 year old. Any suggestions??

Username: Dieseldon66

I read through some of the posts and seen a few with TVs that turn on and off with green flashing led. I have a two year old KDF50A10 and it will turn on and off multiple times until it is on for a while. Then its fine until turned off for the night. I have read up on flashes, but mine seems to just flash continuously between on-offs (I will try to count next time). Could it be as easy as a lamp change? I called Sony and didn't get any help from the call center, not even a warm fuzzy feeling. Just, yep your out of warranty. I bought the TV from ABC warehouse and would have bought extended warranty but they wanted 800.00.

Donald assuming you mean you have a "KDF-E50A10" try this link.

http://www.updatemytv.com/

There is a known issue with those (i have one) that sony will send a local repair person to come fix. Its a software update they fix through a usb stick. Simple, quick, and free....

Username: Tllew1

Texarkana, Texas USA

Just wanted to say "Thank You" for this message board. My husband and I own a SONY KDF-50WE655 that has been having problems for about a year. Because of this board, and the posters here, I was able to determine the problem, notify authorized service people, and get our TV repaired at no charge.

AND, we will never buy another SONY TV again.

Thank you, and I hope all you with problem SONY products are able to resolve your issues as well.

Username: Newguy73

Hi there, I own a Sony KDF-E42A10, manufactured October 2005. I've noticed a greyish "fingerprint" on the middle of the screen that has led me to this website. I don't want to call Sony yet as it isn't that bad and I don't trust them to document it, yet. Does this also sound like a problem with the optical block? I doubt its covered by Sony Canada and I'm wondering if I should expect it to get worse? Any advice?

Username: Eejit

VancouverCanada

Simon.
If it is the optical block you have to get a tech to come out and confirm it. That should cost about $100, which is what I did.

Even though the tv was 2 years old and out of warranty Sony sold me a new LCD at half price including a 3 year warranty for a total of about $750 tax in.

If you plan on doing this call Sony Canada first, but I was surprised that they did this without any hassle. They obviously know there are problems with this set.

I'm not thrilled with having to spend more money, but I actually really like the new tv.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Username: Cjminden

All:

I have a Sony Grand Wega KDFE42A10. I have been reading through this thread about blue blob problems and while I don't have that particular problem, I am amazed at how many Sonys broke after 2 years. My Sony was 2 years and 12 days old when it just went completely black and will not turn on. First thought was the bulb had burned out so I bought a new one on Ebay, installed it and still no picture. You could hear the TV cycling like it wanted to turn on, but nothing. Went to the Sony website, found a local authorized repair place and took the TV in Oct 29, 2007. They still have it nearly three months later, have tried replacing numerous parts and still can't get the tv to work. I have been on the phone with Sony customer service and customer relations and not much help. Interestingly, the very first time I call customer support, they assured me that Sony would replace the optical block at no cost to me and to have the repair facility call them. They called the next day and were told that Sony would not pay for the replacement. Guess they changed their mind!

My next step is to write a letter to the ERB and Sir whoever and see if I can't get some satisfaction. Unfortunately, I trusted the Sony name and did not buy an extended warranty.

Glad this forum is here as I have gotten some very good background information which I hope will assist me in getting some resolution to my problem.

Username: Newguy73

Rob Mag^^^ Thanks for the advice and I'll monitor the situation and give Sony Canada a call. By the way, did you have the same tv, made about the same time as me?

Username: Eejit

VancouverCanada

Post Number: 5
Simon,

My set was the Sony KDF-E42A10 manufactured Nov 2005.

The estimate to fix the optical block was $950.
The offered replacement was a Sony Bravia LCD KDL40s3000 at $649 + gst and pst, including 2 years additional warranty for a total including tax of $728.

The TV is 2" smaller than the old one but thats no big deal to me, and I'm very happy with the picture, so far.

Username: Patrebel

Hello (Again),

I have another problem with my Model KDF-55WF655, while the TV is on - It cycles on and off. It just started last night.

Has anyone else had this problem,
Thanks,
Pat Rebel

Username: Dieseldon66

Kevin,

Thanks for the link to updated programming, but it was done when the TV was about a year old. The on/off issue is getting worse. It usually turns on and off up to 6 times before it stays on. Sometimes have to rest by unplugging for 30 seconds. Green LED flashes are inconclusive, between on/off LED can flash up to 40 times. Awful strange though, after I entered my initial question, ABC warehouse has called and asked if I wanted to buy a extended warranty for much less then the first offer. I just don't see how I should be the one paying for a 2 year old TV that broke, and may have been due to the first programming/power up issue. I bought a "GOOD" name brand so I wouldn't run into this type of concern.

Username: Sunnysingh

I purchased Sony 60 in rear projection TV (KF-60XBR800) in 2003. In October 2007 it developed a yellow lemon blob in the middle of the screen. The blob is about 20 inches in diameter. It resembles the picture posted by Eva Bloomer.

I called Sony and they told me that the optical block is gone bad and it would cost me around $2500 to fix it. Then I came across this message board and realize that this is a common issue with Sony's rear projection TVs. And Sony will fix this issue free of charge in some cases. I wish Sony will fix my TV as they have done for so many customers in this message board. I happen to be a big fan of Sony products and hope that Sony will help me and keep me their loyal customer. I am going to write to them.

What is the address that I should write to Sony?

Thanks -- Sunny

Username: Lifgard

I purchased a KF-42WE610 in October 2003 from Best Buy. I have had to replace the lamp once and yesterday there was a burning smell coming from the TV. I turned it off and unplugged it. I plugged it back in this am and attempted to turn it on. The LED flashed three times. The manual says 3 flashes is loose lamp. I removed the front panel and found the lamp cover and the area around it melted. Needless to say, I am glad we were near the TV when the smell occurred, this could have started a fire and been a disaster with two small children in a very old home.

I went to the internet this a.m. and found your site. Very interesting information and I noted that Sony produced a letter in late Dec.2007 regarding problems with my unit. I did not have the blue blob or other visual problems, BUT THE GD TV ALMOST BURNT MY HOUSE DOWN!!!

I saw only one post about the meltdown issue. What is the status of this related to the optical driver issue?

Thanks.

Username: Glongfel

Oregon

I have a Sony kdf-e42A10 (22 mths) that has a large yellow stain in the middle of the screen, but doesn't appear on any list for coverage.

But for everyone getting Sony to cover their problem, does that just buy you another year or 2, so maybe you get 4 yrs out of a $2,000 - $5,000 TV? I haven't heard anything about a long term fix by Sony, but since I heard they are no longer making rear projection TVs, I guess we are all stuck. If there were 30 different problems listed above, that is one thing, but most of them stem from the same Optic Block problem, so Sony needs to take care of that if they want to keep customers.

I have always liked Sony products, but this treatment is a pure uncaring attitude and greed! I'll never buy another Sony product if their plan is to leave everyone high and dry.

Username: Mickeyarmes

Reno, Nevada United States

I have a Sony KDS-R60XBR1. I just replaced the lamp and would like to know how to reset the lamp hours. Does anyone know?

Username: Trenolds

Purple Fingerprints Gone!

I read all the posts I could find on the purple fingerprints issue -- I have a wood burning stove in the same room as my TV, and the dust from managing wood (and the occasional smoke out starting the fire!) resulted in my having red and green "fingerprints" on of increasing severity this winter. They looked just like those in pictures within the post. I hear conflicting information on whether it can be cleaned, or whether an attempt would make it worse -- my lamp was over 8000 hours so I decided to give cleaning a try before spending $250 on a lamp for a TV I needed to remove.

Presto-changeo -- I used the instructions included at http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock as a reference to disassemble the unit. I used a canned CO2 air gun, and shot it all through the LCD panels as described, reassembled and viola... no more purple fingerprints! There are a few very faitn green fingerprints but it's 30x better than before. I used the canned air and it did spurt some liquid out a few times, but it's not clear if it actually hit the components, or just didn't matter -- but for me 90 minutes of effort results in near factor quality again.

I know I can clean again now so I'll milk this TV for a while until the next gen 120Hz are as cheap as today.

Note that if you're not comfortable with tinkering you may not want ot do this. it's entirely possible I was simply lucky not to do more damage than repair -- but it is definitely possible. I would recommend you try this if you are not covered for repair and you're considering junking the set in lieu of repair -- might as well give it a shot.

good luck for others attempting similar repairs.

Username: Focal

Well it's my turn to chime in on my 42WE610 purchased Oct 2003. I renovated the basement and built my whole home theatre around it. Loved the TV so much, recommended my father buy one in the spring of '04 and brother in summer of 04. Surprisingly, their units were perfect from day one and zero bulb and screen issues.

My first bulb blew 8 months in. Covered under warrantee Second bulb blew about 8 months later..out of warrantee. Called into Sony service but was told it was out of warrantee. Gave up and called in a service guy who swapped the bulb. This third bulb has worked perfectly since (early 2005).

After 2+ years into this 3rd bulb, I started to get confident that this TV would last and caught the upgrade bug. I just purchased a Blu-Ray and other pieces for the HT. So to my surprise, the yellow stain just showed up today. A quick google and I'm here finding this is a VERY prevalent problem.

Guess I'll be calling Sony Canada tomorrow. I'm not expecting much positive feedback since this is past Sept/07 extended coverage date.

wish me luck...At this point a simple "credit" will be an acceptable solution. Shame I have to waste even an $100-200 to get a tech to tell me it's the same optical block issue.

Username: Buddykarl

Blue Haze and Constellation of Dots are GONE!!!

After a month of reading about this and replacing a lamp and watching more and more "stars" appear on the screen as well as the blue haze creeping here and there on my Sony KDF-50WE655, and after reading these boards and seeing how much it might cost, I went to the Sony website and they said they would repair it free of charge through December 2008. So I called Sony, talked to the service person, they gave me a list of authorized repair centers and after talking to the first place which wanted me to bring a 50 inch HDTV to THEM and have it in the shop for three days and then pay them for the repair and then send in the bill to Sony for reimbursement, I decided, let's try number 2 on the list. Qualxserv...I called, talked to a rep, they took my info, gave me a reference number, the tech called the very afternoon asked what the problem was, we described it, he said yep, optical block and said they would order the part and to expect it to be there in 2 weeks. 1 week later, I get a call from the tech, the part is in, we'll set up an appointment. Next day, he comes out, takes the bad part out, puts the good part in, closes up the set and in just over a half hour, he is done, packs up, says goodbye and my blue haze and stars are GONE!...didn't have to sign anything, didn't have to pay anything and now can watch TV free of distraction.

I asked the tech if he had been getting many calls for this problem and he just smiled and said, oh yes...ALL of my Sony service calls have been for this problem. I told him how I had found the cause of the problem from this site and what it was supposed to cost to replace and then how I found the info on the Sony site about the free repair and he replied with a smile, "Yes, because there is a class action lawsuit against Sony on this defect."

But lesson learned, even if it says Sony on it ( I have had a Sony 27" TV since 1988 without a single problem other than it was too small) I am buying the extended warranty.

Hope you all get yours fixed too. Go to the sony website and look for this problem. In fact, it was one of the links on the site to go to a FAQ about it. Call them up, tell them the problem, have them give you a list of authorized repair centers, make sure it is one like qualxserv and if you get it done before December 2008, it is FREE!

Username: Jamied77

I had my sony (KDF-42WE655) repaired recently for the blue blob/spots under the new extended warranty. My brother-n-law owns the previous model (KF-42WE610) and had the bulb burnout within the first year, no problems since. I regularly played video games on mine thru the component input and had HD Comcast Cable for a year before i noticed the blue blob. I'm curious if Gaming/HDTV has anything to do with the issue and what percentage of the people with these problems have or have not used High Definition signals.

I also noticed a ticking sound from what seemed like the fan blades touching something the first 20-30 minutes the tv was on before the repair. Haven't heard it since.

Username: Sheree

Jamie~ what year did your BIL buy his kf-42we610? Just curious as that is the same model and size I purchased that was mfg in Apr 04. I have never hooked my tv up to HD or gaming components.My lamp burned out a couple of months ago,replaced it,it works great now.The same thought has crossed my mind about the HD hook-ups and makes me curious as well as to others who have had optical block problems...I will be monitoring the forum for input concerning this query.

Since Sony refuses to cover our model for the blue blob problem, and I can't get the attorney who is handling the class action suit to respond to my email, we are going to small claims court. Do any of you know to whom specifically we should have the claim directed? I have sent multiple letters to the Executive Review Committee in Fort Meyers, FL, concerning the optical block. Is that who should be notified about the legal action?

Username: Lcsjohnson

I heard alot about the blue blob problems (which my set has started to exhibit) but I have a different problem that I haven't seen posted. I have a KDF-42WE655 that I purchased in Nov. 2005 and recently it started to lose all the channels whenever I turn it off. Everytime I turn it back on I have to reacquire all of the channels which really is quite annoying since you have to wait an hour before it is done. I pulled the set apart hoping there might be a battery providing voltage for some E-prom or something but nothing was obvious. Anyone ever run across this one?

Username: Dvandy1

Kalamazoo, MI

So of all times I was getting ready for the superbowl party, beer, food, beer and more food and when I turned on the tv........a couple short buzzing sounds a blinking green light and then the lamp light was blinking. The tv is a Sony kf-60we610 purchased in May 04'. Since purchase I have never had any problems with it and this will be the first bulb. I ordered a new light today and then decided to open the tv to see how hard it was and discovered the cover to the light was melted to the tv and I had to pry out the light module because everything was warped. Is this common? Is it still safe to use when I get the new bulb? I called Sony and they said they would cover the cost of their local certified repair center to come out and deem it safe or not. I then called who they told me to call and they said they won't do anything unless Sony contacted them unless I wanted to foot the bill. So I called Sony back and for some reason or another they said they couldn't get anything resolved right now and someone would call me back either them or a repair center. I would just like to know what to expect..should I just use it if the new bulb works? Is it junk? I can't afford a new tv since I have been blessed with the bills to two boys since tv purchase. Anyone had the same problem....what was the resolution? Thanks

Username: Mirekz

Emerson, New jersey Usa

Alrighty, I might as well pitch in here.
I have a KDS R50SBR1. I have had this tv for a little over 2 years..
My problem with it is a yellow haze that starts in a bottom right corner. It's about 13 to 15 inches in height and twice that in width.
Occasionaly, there is a about an inch thick line that goes all the way across and all the way up.. It generates out of the haze in the corner.
I am not an expert, but is this a problem with the optical block?
I have called Sony and they pretty much brushed me off with "Your out of warranty, so call a center and take care of it that way"
The guy didn't even try to trouble shoot the thing with me.
And what bothers me is the fact that all this has been going on for quite some time. I called originally in early november and then again in december, right before christmas.
I was told it was out of warranty and to call a center. First guy I called didn't even show up. and the second guy is soo damn busy i can't get him out to the house.

And now i find this board and come to find out there is a class actions suit against sony on my particular tv?

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the suit. They will replace the optical block up and until june 30, 2008. what happens if it happens again?
What if i as a pretty good customer just want to replace this unit with a new flat unit. not projection?

Man, this sucks.. soo much for SONY and their great products..

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Antho

G Longfel, and everyone...
I have a KDFE42A10 manufactured 08/2005 and purchased 09/2005. Approximately six months ago I noticed what appeared to be a faint yellowish brown discoloration in the center of the screen. Initially I convinced myself that it was ambient light or my imagination. Over time the discoloration has become much more pronounced.
I contacted Sony yesterday and received the standard brush-off "you are out of warranty, I'll be happy to set up a service call for you."
When asked if there were any service bulletins for this model, I was told that none existed.
The problem is most noticeable with light backgrounds, and the discoloration is the color of "old plastic", yellowed by UV exposure...in these photos it looks more greenish than in person. It is roughly oval shaped with the long axis oriented vertically in the center of the screen.
Any recommendations, thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Toronto, ON Canada

a big thanks to "rob mag" who posted his experience with Sony Canada. I too called into Sony Canada, followed his lead and went through the same pleasant experience as he did. Pleasant in the sense that Sony Canada offered us the option to purchase another Sony TV at a fairly substantial discount after they verified the problem on the old set (42WE610) with a Sony repair rep coming to the house. The rates in Toronto are definitely a lot fairer than Vancouver. The rep charged $40 for the house call. Looking forward to receiving the 46W3000 shortly.

Update to earlier post...

I spent about 30 mins. chatting with Sony Live Help and was basically told my issue sounded like the optical block "could" be to blame. Was also informed that coverage had not been extended for this model "at this time".
The most positive thing to come from the chat: I was told that the technician who was coming out on the 12th to do the software update for the "not turning on/off" glitch would be able to diagnose the "yellow spot" problem while he was here. This will at least save me the expense of a service call or the hassle and expense of taking the set in for evaluation.
Any KDFE42A10 owners who are having the on off issue and experiencing any other problems should set up the free software update. Have your serial # handy and go to:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KDFE42A10&news_id=115

Post Number: 10
Anthony I have the same model, and my screen has hazy purple-blue on the corners of the screen, which is getting worse. When you tech comes could you ask if that sounds like a dust/cleaning issue? I would be forever in your debt if you did! :-)

btw, I had to do the update for the turning on issue, and its quick and easy....good luck on your issue!

Another update...
The software upgrade was performed on schedule by Robert Bell, a contractor for Sony. Other than confirming that I did have a yellow discoloration visible on screen with all channels/inputs he was of no help with this issue.

His suggestion was to contact Sony and he was sure they would correct the problem...so contrary to what I was told by Sony Live Chat the person they sent to do the upgrade could not diagnose the optical problem.

Kevin, for what it's worth, I asked him about the blue/purple discoloration that your set is exhibiting and he said he had never encountered that problem with this model.

Next stop, back to Sony Customer Relations...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thank you so much for asking! Sounds wierd your "official sony tech" had no info on your issue, I know when I contacted the online sony service they were the ones of no help, and directed me to contact a local tech.

I think your going to have to call the sony line, or send a letter...the web help is no good. Seems the only thing they do is "reset" the tv, and if that doesnt fix it they are out of ideas.

Username: Sosumi

Guess I'll pitch in here...

Armed with the info I've gleaned from this thread, I had no difficulty getting Sony to authorize a fix under the extended warranty.

This is for the blue starfield\blue blob optical block issue.

It took the local shop I was referred to a good week and a half to get the part ("back ordered," go figure) but they're due out tomorrow morning.

I'll update with the results. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yet another update...

It's been a very frustrating couple of hours. I called Sony customer relations again and my complaint was escallated to "level two".

The level two person (Lee) informed me that the optical block in my model was the "latest and greatest" and that it was a "perfect optical block". when asked to elaborate on what a perfect optical block was and how he determined it was "perfect" he could not elaborate.

When asked if an $1800.00 TV with a "perfect" optical block should be expected to give more than 21 months of service he informed me that there were too many variables involved to answer that question and that it was an electronic device... He also stated that the optical block in this set (KDFE42A10) only had a 1 year warranty when both Live Chat people and the manual state a two year warranty.

When asked shouldn't Sony be interested in determining if this was indeed an optical block problem and to take measures to correct the defect to protect their reputation with consumers Lee resorted to the out of warranty/perfect optical block excuse.

The only way this issue is ever going to be addressed is if everyone who is having problem with this model contacts sony and complains.

I'm attaching transcripts of both of my chat sessions to date and a couple of links that I've come across. The links are probably old news to most but am posting just in case...

Oh, in the first chat session I asked if the transcript could be posted and was told that Sony prefers the chats not to be posted publically for "safety reasons". The only personally identifiable info in any of the chats is the serial number of my TV. I have obscured that #, otherwise the transcripts are unaltered.

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=18269

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/press_releases/sony_rear_projection_041806. html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/19/sony-dumping-all-rear-projection-tvs-to-focus -on-lcds/

http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock

Chat Transcripts:
chat id : a8507cc0-01b3-43a5-9bfd-2bcc6d58205d
Problem : Yellow/Brown discoloration located in center of screen on kdfe42a10
Ronnie_ > Hi Anthony. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Ronnie. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
Anthony Henderson > FYI: set has build date of 8/2005, purchased 9/2005, serial # 80XXXX
Ronnie_ > Thank you for waiting, Anthony. I'm sorry that the TV displays the yellow/brown discoloration at the center of the screen. I'll be glad to assist you with this.
Ronnie_ > Does it happen with all the channels?
Anthony Henderson > yes, all channels and all inputs
Anthony Henderson > it is most noticeable on light backgrounds/scenes
Ronnie_ > Thanks for the information, Anthony.
Anthony Henderson > I first noticed the problem about 6 months ago and it has gone from barely noticeable to fairly pronounced in that time
Ronnie_ > Did you connect the TV to a different wall outlet and check the operation?
Anthony Henderson > Yes, I've tried unplugging it, different outlets, with and without surge supressor. I've encountered several other owners on various forums who are having the same problem. Others are reporting it to be a problem with the optical block.
Ronnie_ > Anthony, thanks for the confirmation.
Ronnie_ > Did you try resetting the TV?
Anthony Henderson > Please explain "resetting"I have posted pictures of the problem at the following address https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html
Ronnie_ > Okay, Anthony. I saw the pictures.
Ronnie_ > This seems to be the optical block issue with the TV.
Ronnie_ > I suggest that you get the unit evaluated at the Sony Authorized Service Center.
Anthony Henderson > Has Sony extended coverage for this manufacturing defect?
Ronnie_ > Anthony, this TV does not have the recall for the optical block issue.
Ronnie_ > Anthony, I suggest that you have the unit evaluated at the Sony Service Center. Sony technicians will be able to diagnose the issue and help you.
Anthony Henderson > I have scheduled a software update for the "won't power on/off" issue. Will the technician be able to evaluate this problem when they do the software update?
Ronnie_ > Sure, Anthony. They will be able to check for this issue also.
Anthony Henderson > If it is determined to be a defective Optical Block by the tecnician, what will my options be?
Ronnie_ > You can contact the Sony Service center to get the repair for the TV, Anthony.
Ronnie_ > The optical block of the TV has the 2 years warranty and if the TV is under warranty, the repair will be free.
Ronnie_ > Shall I forward the link where you can find a location to get your Sony product repaired?
Anthony Henderson > I already have that info.OK, Thanks for your help. Do you have any objections to this chat being posted to the ecousic forum?
Anthony Henderson > sorry, that should be "ecoustics forum"
Ronnie_ > Anthony, please wait while I confirm this for you.
Ronnie_ > Thanks for waiting, Anthony. I appreciate your patience.
Anthony Henderson > not a problem...
Ronnie_ > Anthony, I'm sorry that we don not recommend to post the chat transcript to any of the forums.
Anthony Henderson > why is that?
Ronnie_ > Anthony, please wait while I confirm this for you.
Ronnie_ > Thanks for waiting, Anthony.
Ronnie_ > Anthony, this is the internal policy of the Sony due to some safety reasons. So, we don't recommend to post the chat transcript to the forums.
Anthony Henderson > That's fine, not a problem...I'll just keep a copy for my records. I can relay any pertinent info to the forum without posting a full transcript. Thanks again for your help.
Ronnie_ > That's okay, Anthony.
Ronnie_ > You're welcome.
Ronnie_ > Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
Anthony Henderson > No, that's it.
Ronnie_ > Bye, take care.
Ronnie_ > Thank you for contacting Sony online support today.
Ronnie_ > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

chat id : a29c025c-9d85-4f0d-b1bb-c4b16cd734c9
Problem : Yellow discoloration in center of screen on all channels/inputs
References: chat id : a8507cc0-01b3-43a5-9bfd-2bcc6d58205d
second level ref: E36523554
Tom_ > Hi Anthony. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Tom. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
Anthony > Sure...
Tom_ > Thanks for waiting, Anthony. I'm sorry that the screen is discolored. I'll be glad to assist you with this.
Tom_ > Does the issue persist with all the channels?
Anthony > I've posted photos of the problem at: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html
Anthony > yes as stated before all channel/inputs
Anthony > I have received conflicting information from sony. I was told that the technician who came out today to perform the software upgrad for the on/off issue would be able to diagnose the discoloration problem. he could not do this.
Anthony > I have also been told that the optical block in my set has a two year warranty by previous live chat. When speaking with level two I was told it has a one year warranty.
Tom_ > Does the issue persist when the TV is connected to a external Video devices like DVD player?
Anthony > yes all inputs and channels
Tom_ > Let's try resetting the TV.
Tom_ > To Reset the TV disconnect the power cord for a short period of time (approximately 1 minute), then reconnect the power cord and power on the television.
Anthony > have already done this, did not correct problem. have also tried different outlet with and without surge supressor.
Tom_ > I'm sorry that previous troubleshooting steps didn't resolve the issue.
Tom_ > Anthony, as we have explored all possible avenues to resolve this issue right now, at this point I would recommend that you get the unit serviced at our service center.
Tom_ > Shall I forward the link where you can find a location to get your Sony product repaired, the Sony repair cost, and to initiate the repair?
Anthony > this discoloration is a probable defect in the plactic lenses used in the optical block. As an act of good faith on Sony's part this problem should be diagnosed at Sony's expense.
Tom_ > Sony provides two years warranty for the color picture tube.
Tom_ > When you receive the link please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.
Tom_ > Web Page Push : http://eservice.sony.com
Anthony > this is a rear projection LCD, by tube are you referring to the optical block?
Tom_ > Please contact the service center and check for the available options.
Tom_ > Yes, Anthony.
Anthony > so you are saying the optical block has a two year warranty?
Tom_ > Yes, Anthony.
Anthony > will Sony pay for diagnosing this problem?
Tom_ > Sony provides one years warranty for the TV.
Anthony > the problem started when the set was 21 months old, and has gotten progressively worse. since it is a probable optical block issue the optical block was still under warranty when the problem first occured.
Tom_ > Okay, Anthony.
Tom_ > Please contact the service center and check for the available options
Anthony > sure, thanks
Tom_ > You're welcome.
Tom_ > Good bye and take care.

Username: Sosumi

I had the tech out yesterday to replace the optical block, and the problem is fixed!

It's been a little over a week since my first (only) call to Sony and actually getting the part replaced. I didn't have to jump through any hoops. It sounds to me as if they're slow to promise a resolution for the optical block unless you're reporting the blue blob\blue star issue.

Toronto, ON Canada

Sony delivered the 46W3000 yesterday....two weeks after the optical block issue reared it's ugly head..sucks that we had to spend the money but the improvement over the 42WE610 is immense! Still calibrating it with the settings off an AVS forum thread but should have everything hooked up again shortly. Best part, they let us keep the 42WE610. It's actually usable as a SD TV as the side black bars hide the yellow blotches.

Username: Olympiakos

Hey Dixon

I see you have dealt with Sony Canada on this blue blob issue, well i bought my 42 KDF42e200a rear projection Dec 2006, Feb 2008 low and behold the blue blob issue appeared in my lower left hand screen, had a service guy come out, which sony canada directed to me, payed 60.00 and he diagnosed optical block. I am now waiting for sony canada to call me back with an offer apparently.

What i wanted to ask you is if they come back to me with we pay half and you pay half can we opt for an upgrade instead?? were you given the 1/2 1/2 option or automatic upgrade.

And just one more question, by upgrading from the 42 to the 46 they give you was at a big increase in terms of price. If you cant tell me i understand i just dont want to get ripped off if they offer me the same type of deal

thanks for all your help, your posts guided me in the right direction to get some resolution to my problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
So the purple on my kdf-e42a10 is definatly getting worse. Its worse in the corners like darker and bigger, and now I Can see it all in the middle.

I opened the back just a little to see in there and the outer cover where the bulb goes, and there are a ton of dust where the bulb area is. Thats actually a good sign I think, as my issue is most likely dust. Has anyone else seen this or heard of this? My house isnt a huge dust collection or anything, but Im wondering if maybe where the tv is its collecting. I guess Im going to have to call someone out to try and hopefully clean it, maybe solving my issue....but Im also thinking about removing the entire back and trying myself. I work on computers for a living, and would know for the most part what I can and cant do....anyone try this before?

Bronze Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 50
Kevin, check out my web site:
http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock

A qualxserve repair technician was out today to diagnose my set. He determined that it is an optical block issue and said that it looked similar to the XBR1 problem. He also pointed out that the set was begining to develop the blue/purple haze in all four screen corners. Repair cost: $1,044.60

I spoke with sony customer relations and was told that the optical block only has a one year warranty. Does anyone here have anything in writing from sony that refutes this? I've been told by three sony representatives that optical blocks carry two year warranties.

Basically, sony has said they intend to offer no help and admit no responsibility for the bad optical block in my set. At this point it looks like my only recourse is to write the sony executive review committee. Does anyone here know how long it usually takes them to make a determination?

A very disgrutled twenty five year sony advocate,
Anthony

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Anthony, many Sony TV's come with a rather generic warranty card that covers multiple models. Most of these cards describe a one-year warranty on parts and labor with the exception of the "color picture tube," which has a two-year part warranty. Unfortunately, the latter two-year warranty most likely applies only to CRT picture tube TVs, not the optical blocks of rear projection LCD TVs. However, it tends to create confusion for the rear projection owners...and, apparently, Sony support personnel.

In any event, you are past two years from your purchase date anyway. Otherwise, if you purchased the TV with a gold or platinum (or similar) credit card, you could have sought reimbursement from your card's warranty doubling program.

Probably the best you can hope for is that Sony extends coverage on the optical block of your model as more reports of similar failures accumulate, as occurred for the 2003-2004 models. That may take awhile, though. You should certainly log your issue with Sony, including through the ERC. Sorry I don't have better news or advice.

Steve, Thanks for the info and insight. It's true that the set is now past the theoretical two year warranty. The problem first surfaced sometime around last May-June. If I'd reported it then maybe sony would have been more amenable. The set was purchased with a platinum card, I need to go over my card benefits to see if there is any potential help there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I still can't get past the fact that a _SONY_ TV only provided 21 months of problem free service. The set that this KDFE42A10 replaced was a KV32XBR15 and it lasted 14 years without a single service call...the flyback finally went bad in 2005 and it was time to retire it.
Am I disgruntled? Yes! But I am also dissollusioned, and I'm not sure which is worse. (Actually the $1,044.60 repair tag on a $1,799.00 TV is worse... )
Anthony

Username: Cjminden

I also had a KDFE42A10 and it just quit working after almost exactly two years. Three months in the shop and they couldn't fix it. Wrote a letter to the ERB and they were calling me within a week to resolve the problem. They offered me an exchange and I got a new Sony 40" flat screen LCD for about half price. Took 2.5 weeks to arrive so now after 4 months since the Grand Wega broke, I have a new wide screen. The set just arrived today but the picture looks great and I think it will work out fine and hopefully last longer than 2 years!

ERB folks were very professional and very helpful. It cost more than I wanted but at least I have something that works with a warranty!

Before you spend $1,000 to repair a tv with know problems, I suggest writing a letter to the ERB.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I think it is fair to say that Sony's old CRT tube TVs had pretty solid quality, but their LCD rear-projection models were very poorly engineered (i.e., the optical blocks). The projection models look great when they are new, but after a few years they begin to fail, because the optical blocks are poorly ventilated (causing them to overheat and damage internal components), and they are subject to dust accumulation because they are open to the atmosphere.

Apparently, they have now ceased production of the projection models to focus on LCD flat panels. They are probably trying to ride out what will be viewed as a dark period between about 2003 and 2007 when many very expensive TVs failed after just a couple of years. When Sony is deciding to extend coverage of the optical blocks, they are probably balancing the cost of the massive repair bills to fix everybody's TV with the cost of losing customer loyalty.

Will the flat panel LCD's be more reliable than the rear-projection models? Perhaps. Of course, I erroneously thought that, with no moving parts, the rear-projection electronics should fail within the first of year (if defective), or last for the long-term. I hadn't considered overheating an issue. I also knew about the lamp replacement issue (at ~$200 each), but I accepted that I would have to replace that about every three years. Who knows what kinds of engineering flaws might be hiding in the flat panel LCD's. I guess the computer monitor market, which has several years behind it now, would suggest that there is not a systematic flaw with that technology, but who knows.

Problems with the KDFE42A10 (and similar models) seem to be starting now, just like they did for the older 2003 and 2004 models. Perhaps 6 months to a year from now enough reports will have accumulated that Sony will extend coverage...or, perhaps not. I guess people are just going to have to decide whether they would like to trade for a flat panel (at additional cost), or try to wait for a new coverage decision that may never come.

Cherrie, thanks! I am glad sony was responsive to the issue you had with your set. It gives me some hope! I am definitely following through with a letter to the ERB.

Steve, thanks (again). You make several excellent points. We are all in strange new territory--I almost hate to see the demise of the CRT (as faithful a servant to us all as there ever was!) All the new display tech is partially unproven.

One of the reasons I opted for the rear-pro LCD was that it seemed to be the safest bet at the time. I, too, decided I could live with buying a $200 lamp every three years or so. But, if I'd done just a little more research and discovered that the optics were not sealed from environmental contamination I'd likely have chosen frontview LCD.

Plasma was not an option due to the inherent longevity issues and DLP (as nice as they look) just seemed to have too many moving parts (all those micro mirrors flailing about, spinning color wheels, and fans...)

The fact that sony has discontinued all rear-projection LCDs is very telling. I'd guess they projected potential in-warranty repair costs for 2005 and newer sets from the data they have on the 2002-2004s and decided rear-pros were not profitable. The direct view panels are probably more expensive for them up front but if they have significantly fewer in-warranty repairs they are more profitable by the end of sony's liability/warranty period.

Username: Izan

i have KDF-E55A20 with 'fingerprints'in right corner in a size of 20''-30''no extwarr.any with same problem

Username: Miacom2

Sony has extended the warranty on the XBR sets.
I have a 70" KDF - 70 XBR 950 and they paid for the replacement block and labor. Took 1 week to get it settled. Now I have a brand new TV.
I posted here with a picture from the TV of what was explained to me as "road map" The TV was a 2004 purchased in 2005 and past the warranty by a few months
They do read this forum and got in touch with me. They were very polite and professional. Sony dominates my house with high end electronics and will continue to do so. Very pleased customer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks Walter, I guess Im still waiting for someone to contact me on my posts....this is my 4th sony tv, my home theater 7.1 speakers, receiver, 300 disk changer, dvd player (2 actually) ALL sony....2 computer monitors, ps3....so I hear ya on the sony products. Ive been an extremly loyal customer, and love all my sony products. But having them turn their back on me with my most expensive Sony purchase that turned out to be a defective product, is simply incredible. Noone has contacted me, noone sent me an email, and my several attempts at contacting them has ended with them telling me I need to take care of it myself, and was told they know of "no known issues". Which is amazing if they are reading threads such as these.

post 13 contacts 0

well i've talked to sony custumer relations and they asked me to send em my proof of purchase after i did they just told to write letter to a sony review board or in my opinion beg for some more help.i paid $2648 for tv and $499 for stand plus tax,they need to pay for ALL optical blocks not just for some,if anybody can help me with this please e-mail me on m84tool@yahoo.com oh by the way i bought it on 9 30 05

Username: Lesh

Jacksonville, Fl USA

I have a KDF-E42A10 made 8/05 I bought at BestBuy 9/05. I have a huge yellow bullseye just appeared. I called Sony service and was referred to QualX for a repair call. QualX called and said there is a $99 destination fee just to show up.
Is this the same problem the folks with the yellow spot in the middle are having? It looks like it could be a test pattern.
Also, who or what is ERB? And how do I reach them?

does anyone know if some sony models use same optical blocks or is it one o.block for one tv model

Username: Mirekz

Emerson, New jersey Usa

Quick question to the board members.
Does anyone know the results to the class action lawsuit against sony for the sxrd 50 and 60 inch rear projection tv's?
courtdate was the 27th, but i don't know how to get the results.
Also, what actions do i need to take to get things done from here.

thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Plaintiff's settlement web site

My Sony optical block problem web site

Username: Brutice

I have a 56" RCA TV, up until recently it worked really well, but all of the sudden, the screen became green and i don't know how to fix this... do you think i may need knew bulbs or what? When i first turn it on the only thing you can see it green, after a while it fades out slowly (about an hour). Can anyone please help me with this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
izan k, check the bottom of this page for a list of the different optical block part numbers for the various Sony models.

Username: Sunnysingh

I wrote a letter to Sony Executive Review Committee regarding the yellow blob. I also carbon copied it to Sir Howard Stinger (Chairman and CEO Sony Corporation). The Executive review committed contacted me with an offer to assist me to buy a brand new Sony TV with $500 off the new price. Since Sony said that they rather sell me a new TV with reduced price I accepted the offer. BUT then Sony's Exchange for dollar department told me that unfortunately they do not have any 60 inch TV is stock and offered me a 50 inch. I was not happy. Why would anybody go to a smaller size TV? I called the Executive Review Committee and pleaded them to please fix my TV as they have done for so many other customers. But the review committed denied every single request. I even offered to pay half the cost of repair. They simply said sorry. I asked why the cover certain models and not all models. They said that Sony has decided to cover only certain models (Period).

I told the executive review committee that I have been a loyal customer of Sony for at least 10 years. I own another Sony TV, a HD camcorder and two laptops and various other Sony products. This 60 inch TV was the most expensive Sony product that I invested in. Also it has a sentimental value attached to it because my wife and I bought it my chipping in equal amount (around $2500 each) after we got married. I was willing to spend more money to fix this TV only if Sony had assisted me with at least half the repair cost.

But anyways, Sony has decided not to fix my TV. So, they have lost me as a customer. Now I have decided to bring up this story at every party I go to. I have a mission now to tell this story to at least 100 people.

I was at a gathering recently and one of my friend was getting a good deal on Sony's 60 inch TV at local Best Buy. He was thinking of buying Sony's A3000 series at around $2000 for his parents. After listening to my story he changed his mind. He ended up buying a Samsung TV instead. Surprisingly he told me later that Best Buy also confirmed what I had told him.

That is a $2000 loss for Sony. I can only take solace in talking to people and telling NOT to buy Sony products. Sorry Sony. Just like your review committee told me.

Ecoustics.COM ROCKS! Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Sunny

Sunny, Sony told me the exact same thing. Mine is the blue blob problem and it has literally taken over my TV screen. We paid $5,400 + tax for this TV and it's worthless now. Sony knows they have a manufacturing defect with the optical assembly, but instead of choosing to do what is right and cover that part, they have chosen to pick and choose which models to cover or not cover. We're taking the matter to small claims court. Sony has lost me as a customer also. I will never buy another Sony product.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Im probably going to contact my local tv stations, those consumer on your side type things. A large company cant get away with treating their customers like this. Its insane. If it was only a few tvs this was happening to, thats one thing, but it doesn't seem to even matter which model, the optical block design or heat control design are completely flawed, and sony should be taking care of it.

You spent 4000 - 5000 on a tv, and sony is only willing to give you 500 off towards another purchase? Even them droping 500 off a tv, they are still making money on the new sale.

Does anyone know the status of the class action lawsuit? If the original one stalled what do we need to do to start another one? If it happens we need to make sure people with certain models aren't left out, especially since its the exact same issue.

Sony, don't you realize your going to lose more money in the long run treating people like this? I too have already given different advice to a friend when I normally would have said go with a sony. He ended up getting a really nice Panasonic.....and he was looking at a few tvs (one was a sony). Sorry but there is noway I can give a friend advice on a company that turns their back on me when I spent $2500 on a tv that is useless 2 years ago.

Bronze Member
Username: Bottledz28

Post Number: 14
has anyone had issues with the bulb melting all the plastics around it? My tv is pretty clsoe to catching fire and Sony is well awareof this problem I have. Imjust looking for others that has had this happen to them? My TV(kdf50we655) also has the dreaded fingerprint images on the screen. I hate this TV. It is the worse investment I have EVER made.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
BOTTLEDZ28, someone else posted a few posts above yours with the same type of issue. I believe they were about to change out their bulb when they noticed it had burned and melted all the plastic around it. Im not sure if they ever posted again, maybe send them an email and see what happened.

On the purple marks my understanding is its usually dust in the optical block, and its not clear if its fixable with a cleaning, some say it is, some say still needs replacement....but definatly worth a shot.

Here is a link from someone who cleaned theirs, and talks about the purple marks. Here is a quote.

http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonykdf-55wf655opticalblockreplacement

"Optical block cleaning (for purple/pink "fingerprints")

The black LCD panel cover can now be removed from the optical block to expose the panels themselves. It is very unclear how best to clean the interior of the optical block. In fact, there have been few reports that the procedure substantially improves the picture. In theory, blowing compressed air over the LCD panels and other internal parts could clear away dust. In addition, the glass on the projection lens could be cleaned with lens paper and solution. Aerosol (canned) air is not recommended, as it can come out very cold and/or spray moisture, so extreme care should be exercised when using it."

Username: Ebk231

Goshen, In

Post Number: 8
Wanted to give a little update. I have the fingerprint issue. I did the cleaning with compressed air and it took away 90% of the issue. I also wanted to mention that my cover for the bulb was melted pretty bad so if anyone has more info on that problem I would love to hear.

Brian

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Brian, do you have any pictures of your melted cover? I have a few that I took of my TV. Send me your address and I will send them to you to compare.

Sony already knows about my problem and had a Sony tech visit my home today to inspect my tv free of charge. I was told that I need a new light engine, lamp, ballast, fans, and a thermo sensor kit. I am waiting on the writeen price estimate so I can get back in touch with Sony and see what they say. If I dont get anywhere with anyone over the phone then I too will be sending a letter to the ERC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I tried loading pics here but I guess this site only allows pics that are 600x800 and under 100KB in size. Why bother allowing members to upload images when 100kb is like looking at a blurry pic?

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 106
BOTTLEDZ28,
What type of lamp are you sticking in your TV? Make sure you buy a "Philips" brand lamp from a trusted supplier like Discount-Merchant.com or SonyStyle.com!!

Those OSRAM, LTI, APO and other GENERIC lamps have been known to cause overheating issues and burning of unrepairable parts like the 3lcd lenses in your light engine!

To me it seems like you keep sticking in generic lamps!

The purplish "tint" you see on the picture is your 3lcd light tunnel getting burned by the light intensity.

BUYERS BEWARE! ALL SONY LAMPS ARE ORIGINALY PHILIPS. Anything other than Philips UHP lamps may damage your TV beyond repair. Not to mention much inferior lamp life.

Goshen, In

I will try and get a pic up.

ovadoggvo:I still have the original lamp and the cover was so bad I could barely get it back on! The purple tint is burn in? Why would most of it go away with a blast of compressed air?

thanks
Brian

Goshen, In

Post Number: 10
I will try and get a pic up.

ovadoggvo:I still have the original lamp and the cover was so bad I could barely get it back on! The purple tint is burn in? Why would most of it go away with a blast of compressed air?

thanks
Brian

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
My set has also started havinga redish tint at the bottom, and yesterday I took the back off to try and resolve my purplish fingerprint issue since its getting worse and worse. The page I linked a few posts up says the purplish or blueish fingerprint problem is most likey dust. I wasnt able to get to the optical block, but might give it another try. I did get pretty far into the tv, and blew out a lot of dust.

When I removed the bulb I noticed the glass the bulb shines through was odd looking. Almost like the heat from the bulb was making the glass look not as clear, and it was only half of hte glass. I believe the redish tint near the bottom im seeing is due to that piece of glass. That isnt a huge deal since I think that would be fixed with a bulb change. But the purple marks are still preset. I think I will ahve a tech come out and give the optical block a cleaning.

Username: Reid_s

Columbus, GA

I have the Sony wide screen KP-65WS510 with a build date of September of 2003 but I have owned the set since August of 2004 with zero problems until a few days ago.

I have read many people's posts here about problems with the Sony KF-50WE610 and I thought that I would add the wide screen KP-65WS510 to the list of Sony problem rear projection TVs and hopefully keep others from buying a Sony TV.

I experience a bowed upper and lower | U | picture as well as green and purple hallo effects on objects and people on the screen. This also occurs as a double shadow of purple and green on superimposed things on the screen like the channel logo and guide information.

I called Sony's tech support and was told that their was nothing that they could do. I have no idea what the cause is or the cost but was told that it sounded like problems with the bulbs or the bulb power source.

Based on what I have read here this is going to be expensive to fix so I am going to place this set ($4,500) out by the trash and replace it with another brand. I hope that Sony gets it's act together but you won't catch me buying another Sony product. You would think that a $4,500 television set would last more than 3 ½ years.

Username: Scoopup

Atlanta, Ga Usa

I have a KDF-42WE655 (3years old) The bulb went out about 2 months ago. I thought that was pretty good so I got a new Sony bulb and everything has been fine. Today it has started going black every 5 mins and after a min it comes back on. The green light flashes while it is off. The audio never goes off. Has anyone got any ideas of what the problem is? Thanks,

Username: Wheless4979

I was given a Sony 50 inch Grand Wega with a "blue blob" problem. I took the optical block out and cleaned it with compressed air. The problem remained. I took the block back out and sent to a company in Indiana who rebuilt it for $375.00. The TV looks like new now.

Raymond, please give me the name of the place in Indiana who rebuilt your optical block. This is my only option now, short of putting the TV out in the garbage. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Anyone know with the rebuilt optical blocks, are they destined for faulure in another couple years? Meaning, is there something that will protect it or any change made? Its great to have the option, but a fixed tv with this sort of problem seems to only be a matter of time before it happens again. (2 years or less)

Bronze Member

Goshen, In

Post Number: 11
Allen that is most likely some sort of code the flashing light is giving. Check your owners manual or search here.

Raymond please give us some more info on the company that did that!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Sandra, I cant say for sure, but the link I posted a few posts up
http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonykdf-55wf655opticalblockreplacement

At the bottom does have a company in Indiana that replaces/works on them. Im assuming its the same indiana company he mentioned.

The link takes you here.
http://www.tristatemodule.com/

Please post whatever you find out...and also ask them if after the optical block is fixed/replaced, will it most likely have the same problem a couple years from now, or are they fixed replacements.

Username: Wheless4979

Kevin is correct. It is Tristate that did it. The optical block is not that difficult to take out. it took me about 30 to 45 mins to take out and about as much to put back in. I think they have a 6 month warranty on it. I put mine in back in November and it looks great. I have two 50 inch Sony's and a 42 inch Sony, all rear projection WEGAs. The one with the new optical block has the best picture. I have no idea if this will ever happen again, but I am willing to risk it considering the alternative is to trash the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us