Newbie questions for Dish Network

Username: Flick

Post Number: 1
Hi,

My neighboor has Dish Network and he was telling me how he has access to all the chanels for the last few years. He said, he downloads the code to the receiver via USB port and has only been had to reprogram the key 3 or 4 times in the last few years. Is this true? He said his receivet did not have a card like the ones from Direct TV....is the card built in?

Looking to get started up. Have an old dish from Direct TV. What reciver should I get? Anyone ones that are recommended that have DVR?

Do you trully just need to download the codes and plug the USB port to your reciver and that's it? Do you need any hardware or software? Do you have to protect your receiver against an ECM? Can I buy any receiver and this will work?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 1435
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114346.html

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2806
What kind of DTV dish yo got?

Silver Member
Username: Mucho

Post Number: 296
My neighboor has Dish Network and he was telling me how he has access to all the chanels for the last few years. He said, he downloads the code to the receiver via USB port and has only been had to reprogram the key 3 or 4 times in the last few years. Is this true? He said his receivet did not have a card like the ones from Direct TV....is the card built in?

What make is your neighbour's receiver?

Post Number: 2
Not sure what kind os DTV sish I have...just a standard one i guess. Will find out what receiver. He has access to all the PPV...is there a better receiver for FTA?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2808
Well
If yo got the 3 LNB type yo can only get One DN and One BEV
Won't get both DN and very difficult to upgrade beyond one satellite
Attaching a motorized dish can be an inexpensive solution but more advanced installer

One easy option to get one sat 110W which got the most PPV and add on later

If yo got DTV dish with one LNB yo might be able to add a second LNB and get both satellites on one dish
Or simply add a motor for multi-sat

So yor first step to know what dish yo got
Second step I would get VU-Sat Pro receiver which got the DVR yo R looking for and easy to update ECM via USB memory card price range $160 to $180
www-megasatusa-com
Make sure yo buy a real VU-Sat not a clone

Sonicview dual tuner for $200 if yo wanna spend this much plus an external hard drive
I wouldn't recommend HD receiver at this time and especially for a newbie

Post Number: 4
If i only want DN and not BEV, will i be able to get both satellites? I already have BEV, so i'm most interested in the PPV and some U.S chaneels we dont get in Canada(i.e ESPN)...on what satellite are they located?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2810
Are yo telling me yor DTV dish was pointing to BEV or is that a second dish?

In any case
Majority US PPV is on 110W
Depending on where yor current pointing it will need to be adjusted by few degrees

Gold Member
Username: Kirankumar

NO Bashing

Post Number: 2832
your neighbor is full of crap
he is probably using an fta receiver and he has gone down hundreds of times like us
you can get an fta receiver and get free tv like us
your dtv dish should be fine to get b@v
but get yourself a dn500 dish with 2 lnbs so you can get dn 119 and 110
anybody who tells you that he has changed the keys 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years is full of crap

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2811
He's probably talking about major outage
He's a total green (meaning fresh)

Post Number: 5
Yes i have 2 seperate dish's. One is a BEV and the second used to be my DTV one.

Since i will be keeping the BEV (paying for it), i'm mostly interested in PPV and certain channels like ESPN.

What channels are on 119? is there a list up anywhere?

I'm pointing SW so it should not be a problem adjusting the satellite. I already have all the wiring done however i only have 1 wire running from the DTV LNB......if i want both sat's will i have to run 2 seperate wires? or do i just need to change the lnb....i really don't want to start drilling holes and rewring the whole house. I'm pretty sure it's a dual lnb.

Thanks for answering my questions....yes i am green but you have to start somehere! lol

Gold Member

NO Bashing

Post Number: 2833
go to wwwdotlyngsatdotcom
for channel listings of all satellites

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2812
- Green is also symbol for growth

- 110W lineup:
http://www.lyngsat*.com/packages/dish110_sid.html

- 119W lineup:
http://www.lyngsat*.com/packages/dish119_sid.html

- 1-LNB for each sat can be combined into DISEqC switch which usually comes with most orginal sold FTA recivers...one coax cable out to receiver so 2 coax cables to D-switch one cable out to receiver

- In antenna DISEqC settings yo have to assign each sat to each port i.e. 119 to port-1 and 110 to port-2 coax port must match same respective order

I would strongly advice yo try one sat if successfully works buy the other LNB

- If yo got a dish pointing to 91W 110W will be almost same pointing 19 more degrees clockwise and dish elevation slightly lower for (east coast installation)
- If yo are on the west coast 110 will be 19 degrees clockwise and elevation slightly up

Post Number: 6
King,

Thanks again for all your help...i'm starting to see the light.

I inspected my dish and it's a single lnb and the dish measures 18". Am i better off buying a dish 500 with a dual lnb or just adding a dual lnb on the DTV dish?( i would like to be abe to get both satelittes)

As far as DISEqC goes, i noticed my neighbor has his switch mounted outside on the back of the dish...is this recommended? I thought the switch should be inside.

I plan on buying a Viewsat Pro. Will any DISEqC switch work with this receiver? Do i need a specific lnb?(Dp or legacy).Is a twin lnb better? If your have a twin lnb does it mean i will only have one wire going out of the dish?

When you say " In antenna DISEqC settings you have to assign each sat to each port " where is this exactly? On the receiver settings?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2820
Yes receiver settings
Yo'll get to use when yo buy it
- Yo use what yo got first yo learn more
- Yo are learning faster than many people already know how to.
- Yes a twin LNB has an advantage of one coax output without need of D-switch which will come with FTA receiver

Twin LNB on a 24" dish yo can get very cheap off e-bay however learn how to tweek yor dish to keep yor cost low and perhaps yo may only upgrade to a motor instead of dish 500 all based and yor first hand experience

Yo also might choose to change LNB of yor dish and combine B#V and DN on a D-switch

D-switch can be installed anywhere outside house is fine protect from weather as much as possible but coax crimps use snap and seal type receiver must remain off during change of coax cables or yor D-switch get fried so quick

Make sure yo ask questions when yor not sure

Gold Member

NO Bashing

Post Number: 2837
get a chieta heavy duty switch

Post Number: 7
Since I have BEV dish next to the DTV dish and I have a Y yoke on the BEV dish not being used.....can i get sat 91 and 110 without moving the BEV dish. then i gues i could repoint my DTV dish to 119 and use a DISEqC switch to connect them...correct?

Would i need to replace the DTV lLNB with a legacy LNB?

If i purchase another dish should i go with dish 500 or just another BEV dish?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2823
"can i get sat 91 and 110 "
Not with what yo got
Yoke bracket is for 10 degrees not 19

The only way to get 91/110 on one dish a super dish, DTV phase II or DTV phase III

$60 motor and a universal LNB yo can get any open FTA sugnal off the sky
Yo can practically own the sky with a motor

Post Number: 8
Some people on other boards are saying you can't get 2 sat with a dual lnb, you need a twin lnb...is this correct?

they are saying a dual is 2 receivers only.

Gold Member

Pluto

Post Number: 1438
Read a little bit ahahga AND LEARN!!
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/twin.htm

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2825
Dual means One-LNB 2 outputs for 2 receivers
Twin LNBs means 2 LNBs 2 outputs for 2 receivers
Just a terminology name

1- LNB is for 1-sat
2- LNBs are for 2-sats
3- LNBs are for 3-sats

Post Number: 9
I am trying to read alot but hard to know what is correct when different people say different things!

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2826
Yo can ax me any thing

Silver Member
Username: Dimwitt

Post Number: 758
thanks cupcake

Gold Member

Pluto

Post Number: 1439
Yo KING!! I AX YO...Why do the NY Yankees S-U-C-K S00000 Bad??

Username: Hotrod3_652000

Dallas, Tx Usa

Post Number: 9
can someone tell me how and where to start setting up my new veiwsat planium 2000 plz. If u can email me the directions send it to hotrod3_652000@yahoo.com plz.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2832
I'm not a big fan of baseball
I watch a little of the local post season
Mets and Yanks
To tell yo the truth I can't stand the Yankees
I can't even believe the league that let many players get away with drugs sh!t mainly for many NY players
My son likes the red sox
Made me get into baseball by watching his school games
But I don't have a favorite NY team but the Rangers and the Giants
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us