Need Help Reconnecting Satellite

Username: Butlermm7

Post Number: 2
I disconnected Satellite when I bought a new HD TV. I've reconnected all other components but can't remember where to hook up the satellite. For further info., I have cable line split into TV and also into Tivo, with a receiver and DVD player. Can you tell me where the Satellite cable plugs into?

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Quebec city, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2534
Millie read your TV Manual, its clearly indicated how connected all componants.

The new TVs are so different with the price you pay.

You can use HDMI if you have it, componants if you have it and S-Video , and standart video in.

If you connect HDMI you dont need to connect audio include in this cable in digital video and audio signal.

Choose by yourself.

good Luck

Post Number: 3
I have referred to the TV manual. It depicts a cable/satellite box then continues from there on the complete setup. The diagram assume you have either a cable OR a satellite box. I have BOTH. There are no diagrams that address both. I have hooked up the cable box according to the diagram and all components work great with the exception of satellite. I haven't hooked that up because I can't figure it out. Can anyone help?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2536
Millie Butler you connect Dish exactly like a DVD.
Which TV model you have?
How many input you have on TV?

Post Number: 4
My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100. My cable box and Tivo are connected by HDMI. All other components (receiver, dvd)are connected by component cables. The satellite wire comes in the house and into satellite. Then there is an RF cable that needs to come out of the satellite and screw into somewhere. Does it go directly into the TV? If so, would I still get surround sound or do I need to run it through the receiver? I don't think the receiver has an RF connection though.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 10882
1. People use RF cable connection from sat to TV and select channel 3 or 4 - there is usually a switch for 3 or 4 on the back of receiver. Then you can view your receiver on channel 3 or 4 of the TV.
2. A better signal can be brought to your TV's audio/video input from the reciever's audio/video outputs. These are three RCA conections often coloured yellow (video), red and white(audio L and R). You can then view on TV's video 1 or 2(or 3 or 4).
3. doing what you did in 2 above, you can use a separate S-video cable instead of the video part of the three prong connection, if your receiver has a s-video output and if TV's s-video is still available.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Nalin for your suggestion. I'll try it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2538
Millie
If you have a surrond audio system, you can connect it directly in with white and red RCA cable and use S-Video out on receiver and S-Video in in TV.

Surround is a Dolby 2 wires and is recreated in your audio system.

Post Number: 6
Plymouth - are you saying I wouldn't need to use an RF cable out from satellite? I would use the RCA cables and S-video to make the connection from satellite to receiver/tv?

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 10883
RF solution is the poorest in quality. Next best is the three RCA jacks. Even better is the use of S-video.
There is no harm in keeping the RF connection via channel 3/4 and using the more superior connections most of the time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2543
Millie Butler
RF is better if you need 30 feets and more.
12 to 50 feets use S-Video but audio sound lost quality in this range.
Componants 12 feets and less.

"""I recommend S-Video for you and audio RCA cables."""

S-Video signal com from 2 wires one for video and one for color.

Componants is recommended for high definition on short length.

Yellow video imput is good on very short length

RF is good for high length 200 feets and over with signal booster

I hope that help you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us