How do I get HD on a monitor

Username: Sambucus

Apple valley, Mn Usa

Post Number: 1
Hello recently picked up a 50" maxent plasma tv monitor. It has one HDMI plug to plug into. I have Dish network for a provider. My current tv that I want to replace has a co-axial cable to the back of the TV. My question is I want to place the monitor where the current TV is at, how do I go from co-axial cable to a HDMI plug? I have a Dish network dvr box in my bedroom for my other non HD tv. Is there any kinda of cable that goes from co-axial cable to a HDMI plug or how can my make my new monitor work?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2270
­
Mike, you need an actual HD satbox from DishTV. Their latest HD boxes should have HDMI outputs that are compatible with your monitor.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3829
Sounds like one of those TVs that's supposed to have a seperate input box with it. If so, you should have got the box with the TV.

Apple valley, Mn Usa

Post Number: 2
Yeah I asked dish about it, costs $150 for there HD tuner, I don't neccesarily want a HD signal (for now) was just curious if there's some kinda box out there I can buy that converts coaxial to a HDMI signal? without upgrading to a HD package from Dish.

Apple valley, Mn Usa

Post Number: 3
Here's the monitor I have and specs on it.
http://www.maxentusa.com/_coreModules/eShopping/productDetail.aspx?productMaster ID=22

Gold Member

Post Number: 3830
You shouldn't be using coax unless there's no other choice. Connect the sat with s-video or RCAs, preferably s-video. You'll still need RCAs for audio if using s-video.

Apple valley, Mn Usa

Post Number: 4
See the problem is to get this monitor to work with dish, they want me to commit to a 2 year contract to get the box needed. Is there any aftermarket stuff out there to get this TV to work?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2273
­
Mike, you keep obsessing about the HDMI input on this monitor. However, there are other inputs on this display. What you need to do is run an S-video cable from the satbox's S-video out to the TV's AV 1 S-video input. And as David said, you'll need a stereo RCA patch from the satbox's R/L audio output into the TV's AV 1 audio input.
­

Gold Member

Post Number: 3831
If you want HD, you need a tuner. You can get HD tuners on Ebay for a decent price. They aren't as good as the tuners built into TVs from what I've seen though.

First you should go to antennaweb.org and see what channels are available in your area and what type of antenna you would need to get them.

Apple valley, Mn Usa

Post Number: 5
Ok thanks for the responses, I wasn't following along about the S-video cable, I didn't know that could run video for the monitor with that cable/input. As you can see i'm very novice with this stuff.
I don't really want HD or need it, I'm just trying to work around Dish so I don't have to recommit to another 2 year contract with them. I'd love to have HD, but is it possible without going through Dish to get it? I will have to research some more, but thanks for all the advice so far.
My head is spinning, HD tuners, Antennas, HD satbox, I dunno what all I'm gonna need, all I know is my current setup is a co-axial cable plugged into my current Tube TV. So I'm trying to make the monitor work off of that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3832
Coax is the worst way to connect anything. Picture quality will be inferior to line inputs and audio will be mono.

The cheapest way to get HD is to get a tuner and antenna. They are a one time investment and then the channels are free. Don't confuse the digital tuners that can be bought with the government coupons with HD tuners. The coupon boxes will receive HD channels, but, they only output 480i, not HD. You need to check antennaweb.org and see if there are HD channels in your area.

These are HD tuners:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hisense-HDTV-Digital-Tuner-and-HDTV-Antenna_W0QQitemZ1402330 57871QQihZ004QQcategoryZ61396QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-DTB-H260F-HDTV-Terrestrial-Tuner-DTBH260F_W0QQitemZ2 50247431482QQihZ015QQcategoryZ61396QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/RJTech-ATSC-HDTV-Tuner-Watch-free-over-the-air-HDTV_W0QQitem Z160240427026QQihZ006QQcategoryZ71585QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had the top one connected to an SDTV, it worked OK on most channels, but, some had audio sync problems.

Apple valley, Mn Usa

Post Number: 6
So if I buy this equipment, am I only going to get the local channels that the antenna can pickup? I mean am I still going to be able to view Dish channels, besides the local channels?

Thanks for the links to those tuners. I did check antennaweb and I do get about 16 channels from local broadcasting, but I'd still like to view my Dish channels like espn, mtv and such.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2274
­
"Thanks for the links to those tuners. I did check antennaweb and I do get about 16 channels from local broadcasting, but I'd still like to view my Dish channels like espn, mtv and such."

With the inputs available on your TV, you can do both.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3833
DN probably won't look real great on that TV. With a decent HD receiver, the local HD channels will look stellar compared to standard DN.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 277
see the thread "have you ever seen one of theses".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us