Samsung DLP hl-r5678w half black screen

Username: Extra_t

Post Number: 2
Hi guys, I need some god-like wisdom....

The day before yesterday, half of the screen on my HL R5678W started to freeze on whatever it was showing and turn black and white, while the right half of my screen played normally. It did this on all inputs, and cut off on-screen messages. The problem was corrected by turning the tv off, then on again, but shortly after, the left half of the screen would again freeze. Now the left half of my screen won't display at all, and is completely black. Turning it off, then on doesn't seem to help.

I've read about similar problems on similar TVs, and the experts said it was most likely the digital board. I'm rather tech savy, and read that Samsungs are modular in their components, so i was hoping to replace the broken part myself once diagnosed.

Any ideas which part is defective?

I believe i'd purchase it off of samsungparts.com

Know which of these parts it might be? Thanks for all your help!
http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp?searchflag=byonemodel&searchkey=r5 678w&modelid=376344

Username: Babusun

Houston, TX

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I encountered the same problem with my HLR5678W last night. I was playing a Wii game and suddenly, the left half screen froze and the right half was displaying the game progress alright.

I turned the TV off and turned it on again. Then, I could see garbled signal on the left half and proper display on the right (be it DVD/PS3/Wii/Satellite inputs). I turned the TV off again, took off the DLP lamp and took a look. Everything was normal. Then, I put it back in and the screen was OK. But the problem came up again in an hour when I was watching a movie. I shut it down, It was OK this morning. I am not sure either whats going on. Maybe some heat issue somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

Post Number: 3
I think it's the digital board. Unfortunately I have gotten no help from this forum or any others I've been to regarding how to repair it. From what i understand, the digital board is part of the Light engine. While my TV was still under warranty, the light engine was replaced due to the light tunnel failing (known as a screen shade problem). The half screen problem arose after that replacement, and has progressivly gotten worse. Since it was a warranty-replaced part that's defective, I'm trying to get Samsung to honor the now expired warranty.

It looks like there are some nice DLPs on sale right now. How this warranty issue is handled will probably affect which brand i choose on my next purchase. Who wants to buy a TV from a manufacturer that won't stand behind their products, and their repairs?

Username: Mark069

Post Number: 3
I've got the same issue - left hand side of screen is black and right hand side seems completely normal.

This happened once or twice in the past and turning off and on solved this problem but not now.

I know my lamp has a ton of hours on it so that was my initial suspician but now I wonder if it might be something else.

Any resolution on this problem? At least what part is defective???

Before the left hand side went completely black it once started up all white - with little black dots all over the white left side..... Now it's all black.

Unplugging for 15 minutes and powering up brings a full screen for maybe 30 seconds before the left hand side goes black again.

Could this be a bad lamp?

Post Number: 5
My resolution was to get a new digital board. Two actually. The first replacement worked fine for 3 days, then went black on one half of the screen just like the old one. Turning it off, then on again fixed it.

Knowing that the problem only gets worse however, I called back the TV repairman and had him replace the digital board again. He reassured me it was just bad luck, and that the symptoms my tv had could only have been cause by a bad digital board.

So I would have to say no, it isn't your bulb. Sorry.

PS The cost for labor was around $250, and i believe the parts were around $500(i didn't pay for the parts). You may want to look into getting one of the new DLPs for just a little over $1000. Be warned, the Samsung repairman said that even the new ones can experience this same issue. Lol.

Post Number: 4
I checked the Samsung website and they state "if half of the screen on your DLP is black it mostlikely means that the DLP light engine in your TV has failed"

I'm assuming by "digital board" you mean digital light engine?

I don't see the point in getting a new TV if they also experience this issue. Seems like the best plan is to get the light engine replaced and get a good warrantee on the thing....

Anyway, seems like bad news.

Post Number: 6
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The Tech that came out, did in fact replace my light engine (the digital board is part of the light engine). It's easier to slide the whole light engine in than to replace just the digital board on the light engine.

The reason why i suggested getting a new TV, is that i assume that your tv is out of warranty. Putting a new light engine in your old tv could work out great, as long as all of the other components are in good condition. But it could be a money pit if you're replacing parts on a old machine that is slowly dying.

Atleast with a new TV, you have the warranty, and any issues are covered by that warranty. Also, all the parts will be new, so they'll have a better expectancy to survive longer than old parts.

Post Number: 6
Well, with the exception of the lamp, none of the components on this TV should ever "wear out". I have a 32" Mitsubishi tube TV that is still going strong without any problems after 11 years!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us