Whats the diference between signal and quality ?

Silver Member
Username: Lomna

Post Number: 243
Why sometimes we have 90% signal but there is NO quality? Orignal dn rec shows only signal and they work fine without quality.

Gold Member
Username: Kirankumar

NO Bashing

Post Number: 2640
signal is basically the connection from your receiver to dish
quality is the actual signal that your dish is picking up from the provider satellite in the sky,hence it is important that you get good quality

Gold Member
Username: The_coders

Post Number: 1111
Signal - as long as I have a coaxial cable connected between an LNB and a receiver, I always get a percentage on this bar yet I see a lot of people on message boards referring to this reading as relating to satellite strength.

Signal is just a reading of the cable integrity. I noticed mine went from 65% using rg-59 to 86% using rg-6. Not to mention, I can point the dish at the ground and still maintain the same "signal" strength.

Quality - Now here is the grand daddy... This is the only meter that relays actual satellite beam to dish strength.

the 72-73% "signal" you are seeing is merely a reading of the strength the coax cable has, between the receiver and the LNB. so, i'm willing to bet you could point your dish at the ground and still see that same reading. When I first moved into this house I used rg-59 spliced together 3 times as a temporary cable and had a 65% level. as soon as I put up my rg-6 one length cable it was in the high 80's.

The level will tend to go up a bit once you're locked onto a bird, I'm guessing because there is more current going through the lines and boosts the ability of the cable, or something along those lines.

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 120
Quality is a measurement of signal compared to noise.

In technical terms, it is the inverse of the Bit Error Rate (BER) of your signal.

If you get 100% quality, the digital decoder inside the receiver does NOT have to rebuild packets. They are exempts of noise.

At 50%, this means half of all the packets are burried in noise and they have to be reconstructed using Forward Error Correction.

The higher the figure (maximum is 100% quality) the better.

Your receiver should work reasonably well using 30% quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Thanks !

Gold Member
Username: Kirankumar

NO Bashing

Post Number: 2645
devin
are you having some kind of problem for quality?

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
African.. No I'm fine. Just curious to know Cuz usually we don,t see any Q in original dn rec. That why.Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 15505
OUTER LIMITS STATED.."Your receiver should work reasonably well using 30% quality"

THERE IS NO WAY ANYBODY IS WATCHING TV WITH 30% QUALITY!

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Yes I do LK. On Hispasat. Weak signals for Canal LUZ 2007 quality is 24 but rock solid images.

Also on AMC3. One transponder (AMC3-572) boasts a Quality of 27 (the rest of them are almost 90%) and that is also working very well

Or is it Viewsat that is doing an excellent job living with signals burried in noise ???

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
I will however say that anything below 20 tends to pixelize a lot and image freezes solid at quality 16

Gold Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 1823
THE DIFFERENCE BTWEEN SIGNAL AND QUALITY:

THE SIGNAL: THINK WHEN U HAVE AN ERECTION THAT'S THE SIGNAL . AND THE QUALITY IT DEPEND ON WHAT PU@SSY YOU ARE FU#CKING .

Bronze Member
Username: Kocsuckercartier

Post Number: 15
BLOW ME CUMSUCKER

Username: Malagabee

Post Number: 2
when you get 25% quality from a Viewsat Ultra, it doesn't mean it's 25% across the board, I've personally tested this to be 30% for a Pansat 3500. There are too many factors that go into this and yes LK, It is possible to even watch TV @25% quality. I'm talking from experience, not theoretically.

Bronze Member
Username: Lklies

Post Number: 23
Peter Liu.. U R right. As long as there is signal, U may get to see it even at 25% quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us