Need Some Help. Replaced DMD, now picture offset 3" high

Username: Gat0rjay

Post Number: 1
I tried searching the forum for similar problems in the past, but I had little luck. I recently replaced the DMD board on my old Samsung HLN5065. The problem now is that the picture is offset too high vertically on the screen. Basically I have 3 inches of black/blank space on the bottom of the screen, and I'm missing 3 inches at the top (which is being projected out of view). I went to the SM and tried moving the Y position all the way down. It does very little. The 3" of blank area is still there. I also did V-Flip to verify I was getting a full 50" picture.

I checked the tray to be sure it was 100% in position. I also fooled with the 3 screws which secure the DMD. I tightened the top one and loosened the bottom two, and did vice versa with no change to the 3" of blank space.

I work with computers a lot, but very seldom with TV's. I would be comfortable with physically adjusting whatever is causing the problem. I just don't know what to adjust.

I thought this (picture position offset) was a pretty common occurance when replacing pieces of the light engine. I figured someone on here would know what to adjust and save me the $22 from having to buy a service manual.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 147
Jason,
Whenever you are replacing a DMD board, you must enter the service menu "mute+182+power" and do a factory reset.

Also, where did you get the dmd board? are you shure it is the exact replacement for your model number?
did the DMD come from the same size TV?

Let me know.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply.

I had gone into the service menu and looked for some sort of reset. The only one I found (other than lamp) was "ERR Reset." I pressed that and it basically turned off the TV.

The board is from the same exact same line/model of TV. I took off the metal cover which enclosed the PCB and verified the same P/N -- also, both my old board and the new one have "437/507" printed on the PCB. However, I believe the board I have now was indeed removed from the smaller 437 model, rather than my 507 model. I purchased the board on eBay (The TV is no longer worth spending high dollar to fix). Still, the seller I purchased from specialized in TV parts and had 100% feedback on many sales of similar parts.

And, once more, I am definitely getting a full 50" picture. The problem is that the picture is being projected 3" too high. So the bottom 3" of my screen are blank space, and the top 3" of my 50" picture are projected too high -- off the screen/out of view.

I'm going to go poke around in the SM some more and see if I can find that factory reset.

I'd be happy to hear more suggestions of what to try if you can think of anything.

Thanks again,

Jason

Post Number: 3
Well. If anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation, I figured out the problem. There's a pretty simple solution, too, albeit tedious.

The problem is that, although the DMD board has roughly 6 screws holding it in place (before they are tightened/secured) it is still possible to physically move or situate the DMD's position in relation to the actual light engine (up to approximately 1/4 an inch [up or down]).

If you find yourself with this predicament some things to note:

-Adjusting the physical position of the DMD upwards (off the base of the tele) will move your picture on screen downwards; and vice versa.

-It's going to take a few tries to get it right, be patient, and make careful note of where the position of your picture was on screen in relation to how much you feel you adjusted the DMD.

-Be 100% sure that you situate the tray which holds the light engine into its proper position before each test. If you fail to do so your adjustments will be worthless.

-Finally. Common sense. If you're into it enough to attempt this sort of procedure -- be smart, and shortcut your process as much as you feel comfortable: Leave the case open. Only reassemble the tele just enough to test your new DMD position until you get it right. And be patient enough to let the tv cool off for a good 5/10 minutes between tries. Also, please remember to unplug the tv and allow the current to discharge after each attempt before you go fidgeting with it again.

If anyone ever comes upon this and needs more help feel free to email me. My email is the same as my user name for this site at a-0-l dot com. (typed it out that way so spam bots won't find it)

Cheers to all,

jason
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us