EPG Update: How to update channel names?

Silver Member
Username: Xtrawest

Canada

Post Number: 167
Can someone please tell me how to update the EPG on Viewsat Ultra since there are lots of channels have changed their names. I know the one way will be to do factory reset and scan all them again. However, I'm looking for any alternate solution w/o me ruining my Favorite Lists that I'd have to create them again with factory reset. Any IDEAS??

Receiver: Viewsat Ultra
Main S/W: PFTAUSW-080410U
H/W Version: V0.1

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 3125
menu, edit channel name.....

Silver Member
Username: Xtrawest

Canada

Post Number: 168
there are soo many.. it must a way to do it automatically.

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 3126
The procedure outlined in this document will allow you to easily delete unwanted channels, rename channels to names of your choosing, apply parental locks, and organize groups of channels into named favorite lists.

These tasks can be conveniently performed on your PC instead of tediously accomplished from the receiver's remote control.

More Importantly, these tasks only need to be performed once. Should you find the need to reset your receiver to factory defaults, the file created by these steps can be used whenever needed to instantly recreate your desired channel layout.

* Begin by downloading and installing Loader2 and Channel Master.

* Connect a NULL modem serial cable between your PC and receiver.

* Configure Loader2 for the appropriate serial port on your PC.

If your receiver is already populated with a channel list that you wish to use as a starting point, you may skip the remainder of this page.

* Otherwise, delete all existing channels. You can use 'Delete satellite' which is located at Menu -> Installation -> Channel Scan and all user settings will be retained.

* Alternately, you can use 'Factory Default' which is located at Menu -> User Setting, but all user settings will need to be restored to their appropriate values.

After using either of these two methods, verify that there are no channels remaining.

* Configure all applicable satellites at Menu -> Installation -> Antenna Setup.

* Ensure that 'Local Channel ' and 'Local Channel Region' are set correctly at Menu -> User Setting -> System Settings Ensure that 'Full Channel Name' is set to 'On' at Menu -> User Setting -> Option

* You may now scan all applicable satellites at Menu -> Installation -> Auto Scan

At this point, your receiver should have a working channel list that you wish to use as a starting point.

* Set 'Full Channel Name' to 'Off' at Menu -> User Setting -> Option

* Run Loader2. Enable your receiver to transfer the channel list file by pressing 'OK' at Menu -> System Information -> Receiver Upgrade -> Channel

* Press the 'STB -> PC' button on Loader2.
* The receiver's channel file should be transferred to your PC as 'chaninfo.cha'.

* Run Channel Master.

* Select File -> Import -> Viewsat CHA Format...

* Use the lower browse button to populate the 'CHA File' field with your 'chaninfo.cha' path and filename. Press 'OK'.

You are now ready to customize your channel list.

If you plan to organize groups of channels into named favorite lists,

* first expand the 'Favorites' list in the top-left pane.

* Double-click the desired favorite in the list and set its 'Name' field.

* When you are finished naming your favorites list, select 'Satellites' in the top-left pane.

Your entire channel list should now appear in the right pane.

* Edit each channel as needed by double-clicking it to bring up its 'Channel Properties'.

* The channel can be deleted by placing a check in the 'Skip' box.

* The 'Name' field can be changed as desired. Names will be truncated to 20 characters.

[Note: Due to a bug in the Ultra firmware, names containing 20 characters are displayed with a garbage character following the desired name. Until this bug is corrected, you may wish to limit names to 19 characters.]

The channel may be added to one or more favorites by checking the box in front of the appropriate favorite name.

A parental lock may be asserted by placing a check in the 'Parental Lock' box.

When you have completed customizing your channel list,

* save it by selecting File -> Export -> Viewsat CHA Format...

* Select 'Ultra' and use the lower browse button to populate the 'CHA File' field with your 'chaninfo.cha' path and filename. Press 'OK'.

* Place the 'chaninfo.cha' file on your USB flash drive

* load it into your receiver at Menu -> System Information -> Receiver Upgrade -> USB

Alternately, you can use Loader2 to send it to the receiver using the 'PC -> STB' button.

Your custom 'chaninfo.cha' file may be imported, modified, and exported using Channel Master as often as needed to obtain the desired results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relax Testing is a Hobby have a couple of beers and try again Tomorrow. The truth is out there Read till your Eyes Bleed

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Quebec city, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1716
Try this:
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 126
Thats the best english i seen come out of you Plymouth

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth