Bev card swap

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 14905
Yes it's true, As was anticipated in 2008 that the providers will be looking at doing a card swap the first signs are here... on BEV ch.263 they have added the SWAP channel for instructions to subs on how to go about the swap. The new card they are going with is the S06. They have also released 2 new HD receivers the 6141 and 9242 which are 8psk ready. They have already tried sending out new firmware to some of their subs IRDs yesterday which in turn caused many subs IRDs to reboot constantly. Many new changes to come and will have to see how things transpire.
Most of the newer receivers are cardless. But some have a card slot that can be activated. Interesting days ahead!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to channel 263...they have 2 new cards...rom 206 and rom 240

http://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvTv_DTH_CardSwap.page

In their FAQ's page, it says:

15.I have heard about the new SmartCard activation, and my friend has received his new SmartCards, but I haven't received mine. Will everyone be a part of this initiative?

Whether you've opted to rent or purchase your receiver, you'll eventually need to replace your SmartCard. In fact, all our customers will be expected to do so and to activate all their new SmartCards. The exceptions are the new 9242 HD PVR Plus receivers and 6141 HD receivers, which will not require a card replacement. The distribution of new cards is now in progress. Since this process will take several months, it's possible that you may not have received your replacement yet. You don't need to contact our customer service department nor to visit a Bell store. Your new SmartCard and all related information will be mailed to you at the address provided for your account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bev is a Canadian TV satellite company that has receivers that use plastic access cards (aka smart cards) to its legal subscribers.....FTA is a cardless receiver with files that are emulated as close as possible to "smart cards " used by Bev subscribers...Bev TV is replacing all their smart cards ro their receivers....this may mean a new "encrtyption" system that FTA and plastic coders cannot emulate...time will tell

BTW..."smart cards" are used by all satellite TV companies for many years, and were NEVER "put down"...Dishnet, Bev, DirectV, etc still all use smart cards aka access cards...

This year Bell ExpressVu will be upgrading select receivers with a new version of the Conditional Access (CA) SmartCard.

Store Impacts:
ExpressVu would like stores to focus on selling rather than swapping cards. Therefore, all swapping will be done either at the supply chain end of the business or at the client level.
Store inventory of receivers with the current card/software will continue to function for several months so stores can continue to sell these. Once these receivers are activated on a client account ExpressVu will send out a new card along with instructions on how to activate their replacement card. Client will be given the option of self activation via the web or by calling the activation centre.

Important
Stores should begin to exercise 'first in, first out' inventory practices so that as they receive new shipments of receivers with the new CA they will put these aside and sell their current inventory first. This will make the swap faster and more efficient for the client and retailer.
In order to assist retailers in identifying which units have the new CA, ExpressVu will ship these out with a sticker affixed in proximity to the serial number / UPC label. This sticker will be orange in colour and bear the 'iTV' logo as seen below:
The table below outlines the receivers models impacted and dates the receivers are being shipped with a new CA SmartCard
Receiver Model Being shipping with new CA Smart Card
4100 / 4120 March
5900/5920 February
Notes:
• The receiver models 6141 and 9242 already come equipped with the new CA smart card.
• All other models will be done at client level (i.e. 6120R, 9200, 3100, 5200 and etc.)
• 2-TV bundles will only be stickered if both units within the kit contain the new CA.

Client Impacts:
Beginning April 15, 2008, Bell clients that require this upgrade will receive a letter, a new CA SmartCard and instructions on how to swap the SmrtCard.
Client positioning • ExpressVu will be upgrading the software in your receiver(s), which will require you to install and activate a new SmartCard. Installing new SmartCards will ensure that you continue to receive programming and prepare you for future service enhancements to ExpressVu digital TV from Bell.
Process • All impacted clients will receive a letter in the mail with the new upgraded CA SmartCard and instructions on how to swap their cards.

Question and Answer Q1: What happens when current software no longer functions?
A1: Any client with the current CA SmartCard will have been swapped well in advance of the termination date of the current software. Stores will be advised several weeks in advance of this software termination date. This will offer the opportunity for stores to inspect their on hand inventory for any units not bearing the sticker so that they can focus on selling these.

I remember with DTV and their card swap...once a new sub DTV card was received in the mail...within 4 weeks, DTV had completely went down on their old cards and hacking ...each week for 4 weeks, new tiers were erased from the old card, until it became useless, as did hacking the old cards (they also had both old and new cards/streams working at the same time)...I hope this new PID 0907 doesn't duplicate what DTV did ...and a new hack was never made for the new repacement cards (P4/P5/D1)...and they didn't change encryption, both old and new were/are Videogard.... so hopefully for Bev "viewers" , this doesn't work out the same way as DTV did..

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2645
One thing I know will happen
Card swap will eliminate Nagra2 on BEV

Silver Member
Username: Psychmonster

Rhodium MemberAint nuthin ...

Post Number: 773
the gauntlet has been laid down...two of my best knowlegeble friends via email...I luv this, two peps, up on their definitions, kind of like those muscle bound geeks on TV...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us