Samsung DLP replacement Lamp New type for old

Username: Garyr

Ft Myers, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
I have a samsung with bulb BP96-00823A(0) It has started the turn itself off trick. Then when I turn it back on it takes forever to get a picture. It may then play for an hour or so and then the same thing sometimes only a short time. Anyway it is about 4 years old so I figure it needs a new bulb. I have an extended service plan but not sure the bulb is covered. I see this is an older bulb and on line I see lots of suggestions to replace it with a newer smaller more dependable bulb this can be done by buying a ring to fit this to the older set up. What is the deal on this is this a better way to go or just a scam that has no merit.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 124
Gary,
The ring is an excelent choice.. Samsung themselves have started selling the SMALL philips lamp with the replacements for the BP96-00823A... The new part number is called BP96-01043A which is essentially the small "vented" lamp in a whole new enclosure to fit the newer small lamp. The LAMP ADAPTER saves you money by not having to buy an entirely new enclosure $40 saving. It allows you to use the small lamp in your original enclosure that came with the bit E23 lamp.

Samsung has also made the following changes for the models below:

BP96-00608A (Big Lamp) is being replaced by BP96-00826A Generation2 (Small Lamp)

BP96-00826A Generation1 (Big Lamp) is being replaced by BP96-00826A Generation2 (Small Lamp)

Information can be found here:
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp96-00608a.php

The small lamp emits the same lighting under a light spectrum analizer and runs cooler the the big lamp. The smaller lamp is open ventilated for faster heat decipation which reduces cool-down time, and increases re-spark time in the long run. The increased cool-down time also increases lamp durability because is "prepares" the lamp for respark in a shorter amount of time...

This means that if you turn off your TV and turn it back on in 5 minutes, the likes of your damaging the lamp from the heatup-cooldown temperature change is less.

Lamp durability is also increased because the small ventilated lamp runs cooler in extended continuous use situations such as restaurants, bars, showrooms, and other similar businesses.

I hope this information helps.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 125
Also, I recommend Philips brand replacement. Your original BP96-00823A may have a (O) at the end... meaning it came with an OSRAM brand lamp...

The 823A and the 1403A may have come with a Philips or OSRAM using codes as such:

BP96-00823A(O) and BP96-00823A(P)
BP96-01403A(O) and BP96-01403A(P)

Philips seems to be a better replacement product. Some of the tv's that came with a BP96-00823A(O) originally also came with a Philips brand "lamp driver"... I don't know why or how that passes at the Samsung factory, but it does... Very few come with a P-VIP (or OSRAM) lamp driver.

Either way.. The philips lamp will work in either configuration and is a better manufactured product. Not worth saving $5-$10 and buying OSRAM.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us