Quality of HD TV signal with converter box and antenna

Username: Christiaens

Post Number: 1
When I have installed the converter box with my analog TV, what sort of HD signal quality should I expect, assuming I have my antenna aimed properly. In other words, all things being equal, will the picture quality with this situation be just as good as if I had a true HD TV without the converter? How far from optimum antenna aiming can I be at and still get an acceptable HD picture? My antenna is a 25 year old Channel Master.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2200
­
Michael, just to be clear, you cannot get HD on a non-HD television, no matter what kind of 'box' you may use with it. I assume the "converter box" you're referring to is the digital to analog box that will be necessary in order to enable old TVs to work when analog over the air TV signals go away less than a year from now. The signals from these boxes, however, will not be HD.

That's not to say you won't see some improvement in picture quality. Since the signals will be digital, there shouldn't be any problems (such as ghosting) common to analog broadcast signals.

BTW, your 25 yr. old antenna should work just fine.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us