Sony KF-60WE610 60" Grand WEGA & KDP-65WS550

Which one is better to Buy?

Thank you,

MR

Anonymous
MR,

They are very different technologies. What is your budget? What do you plan on using the TV for (i.e., cable, dish, HD, DVD, video games, etc)? The Grand Wega (i.e., 610) has a better picture for all of the sources (with the possible exception of SD shows), with the main problems being black levels and possible dead pixels. You can often get a different TV if the dead pixels can be seen past a foot away. CRT's (e.g., WS550) can have very nice pictures, but they need to be repeatedly taken care of, may suffer burn-in, and are bigger and heavier. If you have the money and are not just watching SD TV, I would get the Grand Wega. Of course if you are just going to watch SD, you shouldn't get a HDTV anyway. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am planning to watch (Dish, HD, DVD, Video Games, Etc). What do youmean by (CRT's (e.g., WS550) can have very nice pictures, but they need to be repeatedly taken care of, may suffer burn-in, and are bigger and heavier.
I should get 4 yr. Warranty with (WS550 Proj TV).

Can you Suggest any Other 60" to 65:CRT's (e.g., WS550) can have very nice pictures, but they need to be repeatedly taken care of, may suffer burn-in, and are bigger and heavier" Projection TV.

Thank you,

MR

Hi,

I am planning to watch (Dish, HD, DVD, Video Games, Etc). What do youmean by (CRT's (e.g., WS550) can have very nice pictures, but they need to be repeatedly taken care of, may suffer burn-in, and are bigger and heavier.
I should get 4 yr. Warranty with (WS550 Proj TV).

Can you Suggest any Other 60" to 65-in Projection TVs.

Thank you,

MR

Noel
I too am considering the KF-60WE610. I did purchase the KF60XBR800 but found it did not meet my expectations so I returned it. The price of the KF-60WE610 is more palatable than the KF60XBR800. Does anyone know if any reviews have been written about the KF-60WE610? Does any one know with all its features if a progressive scan and/or DCDi DVD player is needed to get a good picture? Would you need these DVD features with the CineMotion Reverse 3-2 Pulldown feature? Doesn't the progressive scan DVD player convert the material from digital to analog perform the 3-2 conversion and/or the DCDi conversion then convert it back to digital for component output to the TV which of course is then convert to analog? If I am correct in my understanding, it seems to me the video quality would be adversely affected. Does this model lack the optical audio interconnect feature? When, for instance, there are vertical or horizontal, back and white strips most TVs don't handle this situation very well. Does anyone know if the KF-60WE610 handles this? The audio on the KF60XBR800 left a lot to be desired in my opinion, has this improved on KF-60WE610? Does any one know how much the 100 watt replacement lamp cost? Does any one know what the life expectancy of the lamp is? The black level has been a bone of contention with the KF-60WE610 predecessors, has this improve? Has broadcast/cable picture quality improved over its predecessors? Finally, does anyone think that the DLP technology might provide a higher picture quality than LCD

rob
I believe it basicly IS last years 60xbr800. Beyond that I can't help you.
I thought this Sony DLP is 3ea LCD projected?

John
A salesman at GoodGuys in Southern California said exactly what Rob said. Not sure if it's true as the salesman also quoted outrageous numbers for the 2004 models as he tried to sell me the 2003 floor model.

a little note: I've bought a Sony KF-60WE610 and will recieve it within 2 weeks. Yeehaa!
It's been pointed out to me that DLP and LCD are two different technologies.

LCD appears to sharper images and better light output, but can be pixelated (jaggies). DLP shows superior black levels and is not subject to pixelation.
LCD is reputedly improving in both these areas.

http://www.chipcenter.com/circuitce...01/c0401bs1.htm

Tim
I have had the KDP-65WS550 for over a month now.
The picture with OTA HD is incredible. It worked
right out of the box. Also has automatic convergence adjustment.

Just bought the new Sony Kf60WE610 - LCD projection - Looking desperately for reviews - found reviews on previous models but no one using this one - I hate being a ginny pig but the set looks AWESOME!

If you find any consumer reviews on this model please send them my way. I'll be posting my own in a few weeks!

Anonymous
JP, try avsforum.com for several reviews

Tom
KF-60WE610 is the way to go, this is not last years XBR800, all new, starting with the LCD panels.

I have been shopping for an HDTV since 1998, this is the one for me!

Thanks for the links! I knew about the problem this Sony LCD has with projecting true Black - it's midnight blue at best - but after reading some other reviews of last years LCD models having green blotches in their sets and Sony not willing to fix - gave me the beegeebies!

Haven't seen anything too bad so far about this model - Rave reviews on picture quality and above all the luminocity.

What do you guys think about the likelyhood of pixel burns in Sony's 60WE610 LCD projector. That's a major worry of mine. Guy at the store said "NO WAY - would NEVER happen" - obviously wouldn't guarantee it though!

Anonymous
I worry about pixel burn out too. I have seen it in the store with the Samsung DLP so I have decided against it. How likely is it to happen with the WE610? Can it be fixed if it happens and how expensive would it be?

Pyrogenesis
I've been comparing Phillips' LCOS, Sony's LCD, and of course the plasmas which were ruled out early-on, and I think I've decided on the new RCA Scenium DLP - too many good reasons to avoid it. I like contrast, and don't like pixilization. Is burn-in a real issue for normal viewing scenarios?

Now, if I can just decide on the 50 or 60.....

based on the technologies of LCD and DLP, classic "burn in" is not possible. "Burn in" is the physical depletion of the phosphor coating on the front glass of a CRT, a component that doesn't exist in either LCD or DLP. There are reports of the LCD screens darkening over 2500 + hrs of use, but it's a relatively new technology and I don't know of much reports like that.

I suppose it only sounds quite reasonable that shining intense light on things for a couple years causes them to degrade! Whether this affects a DLP mirror chip or color wheel will probably not be documented for another couple years.

Anonymous
HAVE HAD THE SONY 60WE610 FOR A FEW WEEKS NOW AND LOVE IT. PICTURE AND HDTV IS GREAT. THE SOUND IS ALSO GOOD FOR 2 SPEAKERS. STILL NOT MUCH ON THE DISH. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A LAMP WOULD COST FOR REPLACEMENT OR WHERE TO GET ONE IF OR WHEN IT GOES? THANKS

Anonymous
Can anybody tell me what the refresh rate is on the sony 50we610. Will it compare to my rptv sony kp57wv700.

have had the 60WE610 for 2 weeks now - Amazing! Don't have HDTV receiver yet, running it off regular cable and the picture and resolution is by far better than any CRT or even DLP I've seen.

Replacement bulb in Canada is about $350.00 CDN.

Anonymous
I've had the KF-60WE610 for a couple of weeks now also. It's fantastic. I was debating about getting the KDF-60XBR950. But I am so glad I didn't. This WE series has no glare at all. The HD picture is amazing. The price was right. I couldn't be happier. By the way, I originally had the 50" and it was so great, I kept longing for "more." So I returned it and got the 50. It's really made a difference. I suggest, if you have the room, don't even think about it...get the 60. You won't be disappointed. I think it makes a big difference in viewing enjoyment. Just my two cents.

Anonymous
Thinking about the KF 60we610. What is the best price one can get at a retail store (Circuit City, etc.).

Roy G. Biv
Circuit City sells is for $3999.99. I was lucky enough to have a manager help me at Ultimate Electronics and since he doesn't make commission, he gave it to me for $3460 w/free shipping. Don't be afraid to ask them to throw in shipping or take at least a little off the tv. Even sales people can do that. If all else fails, tell them you saw it elsewhere for cheaper. Also, UE sells the stand for $599 where CC sells it for $1000!

Rob O,
I just ordered the KF-60WE610. I have two boys 9 and 11, and I'm a little concerned about the durability of the LCD screen. The SONY manual says the screen scratches easily. Any thoughts or experience with this?

ConsumerX
I just received the Grand Wega 42" LCD a few days ago. I must say that the image is quite stunning, and I dont find scratching of the surface to be my biggest concern. After watching "Winged Migration" I was closely monitoring our cat who was almost ready to pounce on the life-like images of the birds as they pranced around, and flew by the screen.

I might be a little more concerned with someone touching or putting pressure on the screen where the LCD pixel panels may get damaged. So if you have small children who may feel the need to grab at objects on the screen, this may not be the best TV for you. However, slight surface contact by soft cloths or clothing may leave a mark or small scratch seen only when the TV is off, this probably won't destroy the picture quality or damage the pixels themselves.

Otherwise, I have no other complaints about this TV and can hardly wait for HD DVD's. -Once the media "gods" decide on a format to release them in.

Anonymous
I asked this on a Philips thread but thought I would try here as well. I am thinking of buying the 60WE610 but have some space considerations. Could anyone tell me if there is a recommended clearance behind the TV for ventilation? Philips says 4-6 inches is required behind their sets but I haven't been able to find the online Sony manual. Thanks much.

Rob O.
I found the documentation online from this Sony site: http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/

Follow the link for documentation.

ConsumerX
In my manual for the 42" Sony, the clearance is six inches.

Anonymous

I just ordered the KF-60WE610 from a local furniture superstore, Benchmark Express (Kansas City): $3439 with no haggling, very little discussion about price. They had the 70" XBR on the floor playing ABC football in HD right off ComCast cable - no distribution amps or any other sets running off that signal. Picture was incredible - could easily see hairs on the coaches head blowing in the breeze, and identify blowing rubbish in the end zone from 20+ feet away.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us