Is Gemstar Dead??

Username: Sdculp

Post Number: 1
I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 video board which includes TV and Guide Plus. For a couple of years I have received GuidePlus weekly with no problems. Occasionally GP would be unresponsive, saying that it could not connect to the server, but I always attributed that to a busy server, and in a day or two everything was fine. However, for the past month and a half I have been receiving the message stating that it could not connect to the server and to check my internet connection and try again. This is the same message that I have become used to, but this time it seems permanent.

I have no problems with automatic updates, requested updates or downloading on my computer. With Evga and Nvidia I have been through the entire gamut of McAfee, firewall and driver updates to no avail. Finally I reloaded the original installation disks and still no change. I am pretty much convinced that it is a GuidePlus problem but am unable to address anyone who can speak directly about it.

Is GuidePlus dead? Has anyone had similar problems? Any solutions?

Thank you

Stuart Culp

Username: Falter2002

Post Number: 2
I'm not sure whether or not GuidePlus is dead, but I know that GemStar was bought out by Macrovision. The deal was finalized on May 2nd, 2008. I don't know that this has anything to do with the server going off line, but who knows? Are you still getting the connection error message?

Username: Sdculp

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. After several months, GuidePlus started working again. The Macrovision buyout sounds like a good reason, but a poor excuse.

Their server is often busy or gives errors, but it seems ok, now.

Bronze Member
Username: Samt

Philadelphia, PA United States

Post Number: 11
It's happening again, only this time I have a popup telling me they're sorry that I'm not receiving updates because my cable company is blocking the signal. Anyone else getting this?

I wasn't getting any info, then suddenly it was working for a few months. Now it's back to "no listing", so I unplugged the TV for about 8 hours and now I get "can not receive data", or something to that effect. What is going on ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us